New Super Mario Bros. Wii - General Discussion & Info

I'm really liking this game. (Can't imagine finishing it with only one player--or four!--but two seems just right.) I don't mind the similarities to the DS version since it's still a great game, but 2 things just scream out as laziness (see the IGN diatribe, which I mostly disagree with). The double Toads thing has been done to death (Why not use Toadette?!), but the other thing is why can I only get a star in the special Toad house. I want to jump under a rotating block and get a surprise or something...

The alternate paths are genius, though, and I can't wait for the final boss. So far, a good balance on the difficulty (and fun!), with a few new surprises occassionally thrown in to keep it interesting.

[quote name='jman619']
Basically it ends after world 8,but If you get all the coins theres another world with a different ending? Kind of like how in galaxy you can beat it with 60 stars,but If you get all 120 its a different ending.
[/QUOTE]

Someone feel to correct me on this but I don't believe there's a different ending. It's just an extra level pack, so to speak.

[quote name='maximumzero']
Someone feel to correct me on this but I don't believe there's a different ending. It's just an extra level pack, so to speak.
[/QUOTE]
I haven't bothered trying, but I'd imagine someone on the internet would have said something by now.

Played the first two worlds with 2 other people yesterday. It's a lot of fun but there is one annoying thing that almost ruins it for me. I don't like how the whole screen freezes everything someone dies or powers up. I realize this is how it has always been for Mario but it throws off my timing in multiplayer.

I just 100%'d/completed the game last night, completely on single player - all five stars, still sparkling! Doomed is right,
9-7 is very nasty. It took 3 different run throughs to get the star coins (one for each star coin) and that was using an invincible star at the beginning of each run through
. The items in this game help tremendously with some of the tougher stages and I will admit being weak and using the hint videos for 3 star coins and 2 hidden exits, but that was after 30 minute tries on each exit/coin of trying to figure out how to get it.

Looking at the Nintendo Channel, I clocked in 24 hours to complete the game (a little on the high side as I paused and walked away from the game several times), but as I stated in my earlier post, the final boss battle is a very good finale to the game.

I'm done with the game for now (too much of a backlog), but I'll definitely pop it back in the Wii when I can convince my wife to play multiplayer on it (she's more the Wii Sports/Scene It?/Rock Band type) or I have friends over who are into platformers.

I can definitely recommend this game, especially at $40, as Best Buy has it on sale this week. While it doesn't have as much to do as Super Mario Galaxy single player-wise, it's a solid, fun platformer that was challenging for me in single player at the end, especially when going for all the star coins and secret exits.

We beat the game and now are going back to get all the coins
and open the extra levels
. I can't believe it's only
a star design
. Some of those higher levels are great for racking up extra guys. My son was able to get over 20 lives by jumping on bullet bills
on Level 9-3

I don't think anyone can really deny the fun a great platformer like Mario has.

I would say to any DS owner that they have to get NSMB, and now the Wii they need to get NSMBW.

Gave this to our kids for xmas and it is fantastic, but it's also a lot harder then the DS game. I'm sure everyone will jump in and tell me not so, and mind you, I don't dislike the difficulty level in general (and I have played SMB3 to completion, which admittedly was just short of a miracle :), but we've been stuck at a level in world 3 for a bit, the one before the mid-castle, and it is getting a tad frustrating. When is the super guide supposed to kick in? Does it kick in if you are playing multiplayer? At this point I think we'd be a lot happier if we could just skip the level and move on, perhaps go back to it later on, which is the idea behind that feature, but it hasn't shown up yet. Probably it's just one more try away, but my 7 year old got frustrated and stopped playing and my 8 year old and I tried a few more times, but then we quit too. How many failed attempts do you have to make before you get super guide?

Oh, and everybody is right about having to shake the remote to pick things up. I don't have a problem with shaking the remote in general, and think it works perfectly and feels natural for the spin move and is fun there, but for picking things up it doesn't make any sense and just feels awkward as a result. But it certainly doesn't kill the game, just a minor nuisance. The graphics are great. Overall a really fantastic game, but I want to move on from the level we're stuck at. I suspect if I play it single player I could probably pass it in a few tries, though.

[quote name='crunchewy']Gave this to our kids for xmas and it is fantastic, but it's also a lot harder then the DS game. I'm sure everyone will jump in and tell me not so, and mind you, I don't dislike the difficulty level in general (and I have played SMB3 to completion, which admittedly was just short of a miracle :), but we've been stuck at a level in world 3 for a bit, the one before the mid-castle, and it is getting a tad frustrating. When is the super guide supposed to kick in? Does it kick in if you are playing multiplayer? At this point I think we'd be a lot happier if we could just skip the level and move on, perhaps go back to it later on, which is the idea behind that feature, but it hasn't shown up yet. Probably it's just one more try away, but my 7 year old got frustrated and stopped playing and my 8 year old and I tried a few more times, but then we quit too. How many failed attempts do you have to make before you get super guide?

Oh, and everybody is right about having to shake the remote to pick things up. I don't have a problem with shaking the remote in general, and think it works perfectly and feels natural for the spin move and is fun there, but for picking things up it doesn't make any sense and just feels awkward as a result. But it certainly doesn't kill the game, just a minor nuisance. The graphics are great. Overall a really fantastic game, but I want to move on from the level we're stuck at. I suspect if I play it single player I could probably pass it in a few tries, though.[/QUOTE]

I think World 3 is the toughest because of the controls and the ice... it's a disaster.

And with multiple people.. it's a handicap too.

I think the Super Guild is 8 dies in SP only... I don't think it shows up in MP.

is it 3-3? that level is a pain... there is a coin I need to get back there...

It's odd that I have completed every level and gathered every star coin in worlds 1, 2, and 3, yet there are still locked/hidden hint videos for those worlds at the castle.

I was also puzzled as to why Mario was suddenly missing his hat for a long time in my game! After a while I realized that if you are wearing the penguin suit, and you get hit, you no longer have your hat! I don't know if there are any secrets to go with this, but it was weird.

I would have never believed that anyone could find a Mario game hard until I watched my wife and her friend play this game. They are horrible! When I play multiplayer with them, it ends up being single-player halfway through the level since they lose all five of their starting lives right away.

Meanwhile, I have the max number of lives (99) without even trying. Oh, so I dropped down to 95 lives trying to get a certain star coin in world 9-3, but this game should be easy for anyone who grew up playing Super Mario Anything.

Only a few star coins left.

I just noticed that I don't see world 8-7 on the map! That could make getting those star coins a little difficult. ;)

I'm still not sure why I have almost all of the hint videos for worlds 4+ but worlds 1 & 2 are missing quite a few. What triggers the unlocking of a hint video?

*edit* Never mind about that. I just broke my usual vow to never look at a FAQ, and glanced at one for about 30 seconds. I just need to finish up some stuff I guess.

[quote name='Zing']Only a few star coins left.

I just noticed that I don't see world 8-7 on the map! That could make getting those star coins a little difficult. ;)
[/QUOTE]

I can't find 7-6. I've done 7-4 & 7-5 multiple times and it's killing me.

I haven't peeked at anything yet for help. 7-6 aside, I'm missing about 5 Coins total. I up through half of World 8.

[quote name='crunchewy']SMB3 was hard. If you didn't think even SMB3 was tough, then you are an uber gamer. :bow:[/QUOTE]

Are you referring to the SMB3 which I rented on release and completed on day 2?

Yeah, soooo tough. :lol:

[quote name='Corvin']I can't find 7-6. I've done 7-4 & 7-5 multiple times and it's killing me.

I haven't peeked at anything yet for help. 7-6 aside, I'm missing about 5 Coins total. I up through half of World 8.[/QUOTE]
Hint: The level w/secret exit
7-Fortress (mini castle)
Mega Spoiler, exact location
Soon you will see Star Coin #3 on the side of the screen behind some Brick Blocks. Use a Bob-Omb to smash your way through to it.
Secret Exit

Unlocks: World 7-6
Below you on the right should be two cannons shooting Bob-ombs. Under these is a moving platform. Stand on this moving platform and and run right to find a secret area.
You'll exit through a red pipe, and here you will find two Bill Blasters that seem to be stuck on rapid fire. Get as many on the screen as you possibly can and run along with them to the Red Finish Flag. When you jump on to the Flag, you will get some extra lives if you have enough Bills on the screen with you.

[quote name='Zing']Are you referring to the SMB3 which I rented on release and completed on day 2?

Yeah, soooo tough. :lol:[/QUOTE]
Seriously? I declare shenanigans. Warp whistles? P-Wings? If SMB3 is easy, I'm having a hard time coming up with games today that would be any challenge at all. (Call of Duties on Veteran maybe?)

[quote name='Zing']Are you referring to the SMB3 which I rented on release and completed on day 2?

? SMB3 wasn't tough, just a bit long if you went the old way. Pipe warping and the game was done way too fast.

Honestly the controls is what get's me, same with NSMB DS... the standing run is no more, it's a power walk>jog> and finally run. That and ICE... gah damn, if anything ice is my eternal weakness. I think I died the most in W3 than all the other levels combined and I'm up to 7-1.

I know one thing... going through a level and NOT getting a 1up is rare.

Seriously? I declare shenanigans. Warp whistles? P-Wings? If SMB3 is easy, I'm having a hard time coming up with games today that would be any challenge at all. (Call of Duties on Veteran maybe?)

[quote name='crunchewy']SMB3 was hard. If you didn't think even SMB3 was tough, then you are an uber gamer. :bow:[/QUOTE]

Honestly 3 is not even as hard as Mario World. I beat 3 again over the summer without much difficulty. It's a ton of fun though...

I think the first Mario is the hardest.

SMB3 wasnt too hard, I admit using Warp Whistles initially, but going back and beating the stages in earnest. But the extra 20 levels in SMW were much more rough.

Just beat it. Really an awesome game and can stand with the rest of the Marios.

Who was bitching about the motion controls in the later part of the game? They barely interfered.

My only major complaint is you can't take Yoshi between levels.

I have to say I like the motion controls. I wanted to bring Yoshi too, but they made more deliberate level designs. They didn't want to account for Yoshi in every level.

I just beat the game and the final boss was amazing. Just certified the game as GOTY for me.

I am sure it has been touched on, but everyone kept on raving about how nicely done the final boss was. The guys from the Player 1 podcast kept on talking about it but never spoiled it.

I got to the classic Mario vs Bowser setting and thought to myself "ok, this can't be it." I jumped over Bowser, hit the switch, and there is the celebration music... so now I am thinking "ok I guess this is it." I actually believed that was the ending, and I already started thinking how overhyped this "ending" was, and thought maybe people were just referring to those last few levels, because the World 8 levels were just so ingenious.

But then starts the chase with giant Bowser and the whole time im thinking how awesome it is...

I wonder why they didn't use Giga Bowser instead of a giant Bowser, would have been a lot more terrifying... I guess Giga Bowser is not really canon since he is only in the Smash Bros. games by Hal, but still, it's not like there is anything canonical about the Mario series!

I can't imagine how difficult these last levels will be with two players...!

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, 2 players is ideal... especially if one floats while the other is big, then pops the bubble when the first guy is small as a safety net if he falls in the lava. We used the tag team approach on the higher levels until we knew where all the dangers were, and then could beat it with no trouble.

[quote name='soonersfan60']Actually, 2 players is ideal... especially if one floats while the other is big, then pops the bubble when the first guy is small as a safety net if he falls in the lava. We used the tag team approach on the higher levels until we knew where all the dangers were, and then could beat it with no trouble.[/QUOTE]

I played with my girlfriend until around the ice level... after that I just couldn't wait 'till I beat the game. But yea, bubbling up is what we have been doing haha.

I wonder if I should pop this back in just to buy all those useless videos I don't need since I did everything in the game. I probably should do that.

Also, World
9-7
is by far the toughest level in the game. That's such a dick level, too.
You can get yourself stuck if you have a fireball. And since there's no checkpoints you have to get all the coins in a single go or you'll have to start over.
At least the level immediately after that is CRAZY awesome.

[quote name='Doomed']Seriously? I declare shenanigans. Warp whistles? P-Wings? If SMB3 is easy, I'm having a hard time coming up with games today that would be any challenge at all. (Call of Duties on Veteran maybe?)[/QUOTE]

I don't recall how far I got the first day I played, but I only quit due to sleep. The next day I played it for 6-8 hours straight and finished the game, only having warped once. I don't recall exactly which warp I used, but I know I skipped the ice world completely.

The game was impossible to find in stores, so I was excited I found it for rent. I was 12 years old and yes, I was a game master, but I don't recall any part of it being hard except the final world. I know I died a lot.

I am going to go on the record as changing my stance regarding the motion controls. They can blow me. I don't know what the ideal control layout would be without shoulder buttons, but shaking the controls to pick up stuff sucks my balls. It didn't bother me at first, but now that I am a veteran of the game, it's annoying.

[quote name='Zing']I am going to go on the record as changing my stance regarding the motion controls. They can blow me. I don't know what the ideal control layout would be without shoulder buttons, but shaking the controls to pick up stuff sucks my balls. It didn't bother me at first, but now that I am a veteran of the game, it's annoying.[/QUOTE]

Shaking to pick up is lousy, but shaking to spin makes some sense and is fun and adds some challenge to that technique. Also tilting platforms is pretty cool. So I'd say the motion controls are fine, even good, except for the picking up bit.

[quote name='Zing']I am going to go on the record as changing my stance regarding the motion controls. They can blow me. I don't know what the ideal control layout would be without shoulder buttons, but shaking the controls to pick up stuff sucks my balls. It didn't bother me at first, but now that I am a veteran of the game, it's annoying.[/QUOTE]

I agree, I've picked this back up after about a months rest and the motion controls seem necessary (as far as I can tell) but they are a bit bogus. When playing with the nunchuk I haven't found a way to pick up objects, am I missing something? Nunchuk is not ideal anyway as Mario seems to be too loose and hard to control. I'm on the final castle in the Ice level, and that was a really rough area to clear. I've got nearly 100 lives, but I think they balanced this too much for difficulty and easy lives. I would have preferred a slightly toned down difficulty and not getting 100 lives in the first two worlds.

I'm hoping it gets better after the ice castle. I have a lot of levels to go back to in that world for the super coins.

his game looks amazing. I'm just now playing and it looks like a big screen version of it with some extras (definitely a good thing).I don't know what the ideal control layout would be without shoulder buttons, but shaking the controls to pick up stuff sucks my balls.

You don't even need shoulder buttons to pick up. Do it like Super Mario World and just hold the "1" button.

I am also frustrated by the lack of throwing things straight up the in the air, but I guess every game can't be a masterpiece. ;)

I enjoyed SMW and SMG better than this game -- even NSMB on the DS just because of the controls. I would put Wii NSMB in the top 5 though, probably behind those 3 for me. I was never a huge fan of SMB3, SMB2 was just plain bad IMO and the original SMB was a classic. I totally skipped the GameCube generation, so I'm sure there could have been a great one there too, but I wasn't a big fan of M64.

I'll say it's up there with Mario 3, Mario World and Yoshi's Island. The final boss is awesome, even better than the final Baby Bowser in Yoshi's Island.

[quote name='KingBroly']I wonder if I should pop this back in just to buy all those useless videos I don't need since I did everything in the game. I probably should do that.

Also, World
9-7
is by far the toughest level in the game. That's such a dick level, too.
You can get yourself stuck if you have a fireball. And since there's no checkpoints you have to get all the coins in a single go or you'll have to start over.
At least the level immediately after that is CRAZY awesome.[/QUOTE]

100% agree

I started playing this again in the past few days and have collected all the star coins except for three levels in world 9.

I loaded up world 9-7 to see what is so hard about it. I only played it for maybe a minute, but I can see the Penguin suit being a huge benefit in that one, to prevent sliding.

bread's done
Back