New (true new gen hardware) portable announced: Nintendo 3DS

Strell

CAGiversary!
Feedback
288 (100%)
An English press release direct from Nintendo's Japan website.

Bull-ot points:
  • Allows for 3D effects without glasses
  • Allows for 3D effects without glasses
    [*]Allows for 3D effects without glasses
  • Will be shown at E3 this year
  • Will launch before March 2011
  • Backwards compatible with DS/DSi software
  • lolwuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut

Obligatory lulz imo-jizz from around the internets:

bhq9mvmvwupqqm265.png

lazytaku.jpg

833c4f03.jpg

Iwata droppenzalbomben@E3 2010. Believe.

Last edited by a moderator:
What the hell!? Colonel, what's happening?

Definitely did not expect this as a DS successor, though it's an obvious path now; they recently released that DSiWare title in Japan that uses the camera to create a "3D" image.

[quote name='Cao Cao']Found something interesting on GAF, Rittai Kakushi e Attakoreda (500 points). It's a hidden letter game that uses face-tracking with the DSi's camera to create a 3D effect on the screen. There's a video on the above page, in the green box, that shows how it plays.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad I'll have at least a year to spend with my DSi XL before this thing comes out. I'll definitely pre-order it the moment Amazon starts accepting pre-orders, all the while applying video game credit toward it in the hopes of paying it off long before it's even released.

I'm glad I only bought the first iteration of the DS. This looks awesome, but Nintendo is raping consumers with the constant releases of new DS versions.

[quote name='Jackal888']Is everything 3D now? I am interested Nintendo. Now we wait for Sony's PSP2 PSP23D announcement.[/QUOTE]

Fixed that for you. I'm getting sick of 3D already.

I have to agree with keithp - I'm pretty sick of this 3D craze already. You see flat things in front of other flat things. It's a gimmick, just like it was back in the days of Jaws 3D. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt anyway, but I hope the 3D is optional and that we also are getting higher resolution screens. They don't need to be larger, just higher resolution. That would be great for ports like the Sonic Classics Collection where you wouldn't need to scale everything down or crop to fit. Not to mention just being better looking.

EDIT: having said that, they do need to do something to differentiate themselves from the iPhone/iPod touch, seeing how that platform is nibbling away at both PSP and DS marketshare (DS is still way in the lead, but dropping.)

wow literally right before i was gonna buy the $130 DSi of dell, glad I held off, I'll just use my bro's ds or sister's dsi in the meantime while i wait for the sure to be at least $200 3DS

fuck 3D, I am so sick of this shit. I really hope the 5th Gen pokemon game is NOT in this 3D garbage, and hopefully it is built for the Nintendo DS. At least they are keeping the DSiWare it seems.....

So this is the first true successor to a system with DD, correct? Let's see how that's handled. That's my biggest concern for the next gen.

Oh and I'm calling it now. Sony will announce PSP2 at E3 because of this.

WTF Indeed. 3D is a fad that comes along every few years and proceeds to die after the market is over saturated.

I'm interested, but I really wonder how they're going to keep this one cheap.

Ironically a certain company my brother works for tried to sell nintendo something that allows 3d to be visualised without glasses on a small ds sized screan they didn't buy it but my brother says it is quite neat, but the downside was that about 90% of the people who use it were getting motion sickness lol.

I guess anything is better than nothing, but screw this 3D trend. Give me a system with a (relative to the time) good CPU, GPU, adequate physical buttons, and analog sticks if needed (looking at the iPhone and PSP). If you make great games, I will buy it. Plain and simple.

There is never a good time to buy a Nintendo handheld anymore. I just bought a DSi. They come out with another revision (or new system in this case) every year.

On the plus side, the DS has a crazy amount of awesome games, so at the very least I will have a ton of games to play since I have almost zero interest in this.

[quote name='eminemobied12']wow literally right before i was gonna buy the $130 DSi of dell, glad I held off, I'll just use my bro's ds or sister's dsi in the meantime while i wait for the sure to be at least $200 3DS[/QUOTE]

Nintendo has lost their minds with their new handheld prices. Since the DSi XL is coming out at $190 ($170 for normal DSi) how much will Nintendo charge for the hardware upgrade?

well I may pick up this new one, but it's going to be tough to give up my white original dsl. I still like that GBA port.

[quote name='javeryh']I am not happy that it is backwards compatible. This means they can't fix the goddamn gap where the hinge is.[/QUOTE]

Fix what gap?

A little more info or rumors...rumble pack built in?

You had the hard news for breakfast, so how's about some less official, but still pretty robust, fodder for brunch? Asahi in Japan offers the first word on how the 3DS achieves its 3D-ness by suggesting that the new portable game machine with feature a parallax barrier LCD from Sharp. The tech has apparently already been deployed in a few cellphones over there and is described as "unsuitable" for large-screen TVs. This is corroborated by Nikkei, which suggests that the screens on the new device will be smaller than 4 inches diagonally, placing it closer to the DSi than the 4.2-inch DSi XL / LL. Other news from the latter source include so-called 3D control stick(s), though it's not entirely clear whether this'll be anything massively new or just a pair of analog nubs for us to push around. Either way, Nintendo is said to have secured patents for the new control methodology in Japan late last year. The Nikkei article also mentions improvements in WiFi transfers and battery life, as well as a new vibration function. Now that we've got all that out of the way, can someone please tell us if this thing has Tegra inside or not?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/23/nintendo-3ds-to-come-with-3d-control-stick-vibration-and-sha/

I'll echo what others are saying, there is no utility in getting a DSi XL with the "3DS" being released in the same year.

This of course assumes there is an open* DSiWare transfer process announced.

*Nintendo transfers accounts if you call their customer support line with hardware issues...

Last edited by a moderator:
My interest in the DS XL (or whatever it's called) is now dead. I'll continue using my first gen DS.

I'm sick of 3D...it just doesn't look very good. But, I guess I'll wait and see what they're going to do with this. If this is more than $200 (and it probably will be), I'll be waiting for a pricedrop new model.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Fix what gap?[/QUOTE]

The 1" gap between the screens. New hardware could have had some sort of hinge (double jointed?) that would open up and place the screens exactly next to each other (with a very minimal gap). Since it is backwards compatible and there are tons of games that use both screens where "action" occurs behind the gap this doesn't seem feasible now.

Wouldn't this fuck with your depth perception? Hey, lets tap that tree to get an item. Oh wait, the tree really isn't that high, gotta tap closer!

I was in rage mode when I heard 3D but then I heard it was glasses free so now I am intrigued.

I wonder if someone like me will actually be able to enjoy this though, due to my astigmatism. I can barely see 3D with the glasses... I wonder if this will be any different.

Again, this is pretty neat. I can't wait!

I am going to get one as long as the hardware such as the CPU and graphics card are better than the DSi. If this is just a DSi with 3D built in, fuck it. I know at e3 shiggy and reggie are going to show some tech demo that makes me go omg I want one.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I am going to get one as long as the hardware such as the CPU and graphics card are better than the DSi. If this is just a DSi with 3D built in, fuck it. I know at e3 shiggy and reggie are going to show some tech demo that makes me go omg I want one.[/QUOTE]

We dont even have a single game that take advantage of the faster processor and extra memory in DSi

[quote name='62t']We dont even have a single game that take advantage of the faster processor and extra memory in DSi[/QUOTE]
The games in Sonic Classic Collection run better on the DSi as opposed to the DS. Several people on Sonic Retro have played through stages that chugged on a normal DS, but ran much better on a DSi. It could be just the additional memory they're using instead of the processor, but regardless it is taking advantage of the DSi.

I'm not sure of this new DS. But the OP is hillarious.

[quote name='FroMann']So this is not another re-hash of the DS? Its the next true DS?[/QUOTE]
Nintendo likes to keep you guessing.

This shit is getting ridiculous.

Nintendo better have few games to silence all the critics at E3. Tech demos won't do it.

Announcing this before most of the world even has the DSi XL seems like a bad idea, though I guess there will be a big gap between whenever Japan gets this and when North America and Europe gets the DSi XL.

It needs to have at least decent online with full WPA support for every game, not this "the game has to be DSi-enhanced to support it" crap, and offer actual online accounts that VC, WiiWare, and DSiWare games are attached to so that you don't have to beg Nintendo support to let you transfer your games to another system.

To all the naysayers, I recall everyone saying WTF to the DS when it first launched. With Nintendo I'm always cautiously optimistic.

bread's done
Back