New VC Buy For Friends Service Coming! CAG Christmas Gifts?! What do you want?!

Zen Davis

Banned
Nintendo also unveiled a function Friday that allows users to send each other games over the Internet using the Wii's shopping channel.

With a few clicks, a user will be able to select a game to send as a gift to another user online, Iwata said. When the recipient accepts, the Wii automatically launches the shopping channel and begins the download.

"We think this will be a breakthrough in encouraging customers to spread news of fun games word of mouth," Iwata said. "We also hope to spur more users to connect their Wiis to the Internet," he said.

Just in time for Christmas.

Not only that, we will be able to trade wii points below 2000 point denominations between each other. Albeit indirectly, but it is a great start.

Boo.

I completely misread the thread, I thought it was saying that we will be able to share games we have bought with our friends.

I got all excited for nothing. :(

This is a good thing.

Now I can officially do some kind of raffle or something when Earthbound comes out, because I need to send the message that there's some kind of audience for the game.

[quote name='drfunk85']How will it work if you "send" someone a game, but they have already bought it?[/quote]It will probably identify if they already have the game or it will tell them when they try to accept it, but more importantly, I'm assuming there's a way to cancel the transaction should no one accept your offer.

[quote name='yukine']Boo.

I completely misread the thread, I thought it was saying that we will be able to share games we have bought with our friends.

I got all excited for nothing. :([/quote]
That's what I thought too.

It would be cool if you already have the full game you could send a demo version out to a friend. Sort of like the option you have with some DS games.

I had actually been wishing I could buy Microsoft Points for a friend on XBLA (he lived far away and I really wanted him to get Worms). For some reason I assumed you could do that, but I was disappointed to find that I couldn't. And I'm sure I'm not the only person who's wished they could do that sort of thing, so Nintendo may really be on to something great here.

I guess that the CAG community will be giving each other Christmas gifts via the VC Store. If that's the case, I'd like to ask for The Legend of Zelda: LTTP, Super Castlevania IV, and The Legend of Zelda!

[quote name='Zen Davis']I guess that the CAG community will be giving each other Christmas gifts via the VC Store. If that's the case, I'd like to ask for The Legend of Zelda: LTTP, Super Castlevania IV, and The Legend of Zelda![/QUOTE]

I think thats a great idea. Like a secret santa program for the regulars and people with good itrader ratings. I'd be in. :D

[quote name='rodeojones903']I think thats a great idea. Like a secret santa program for the regulars and people with good itrader ratings. I'd be in. :D[/quote]

What would you want? ;)

I wonder how soon it will be before Microsoft starts doing this. It's going to be a huge cash cow, especially around Christmas.

[quote name='Kaijufan']I wonder how soon it will be before Microsoft starts doing this. It's going to be a huge cash cow, especially around Christmas.[/quote]

Once again more talk of someone ripping off Nintendo. ;)

Great concept... So they did something before everyone else when it comes to internet... impossible...unheard of.

I guess though they are good at selling/reselling games...

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Of course, you could just give your loved one a Points Card....[/QUOTE]

I could see this actually evening out trades etc. Or if someone doesnt want to give a full points card.

I hope they let someone go online from their comp and buy you a game for your VC. That would be great if they didn't make you go through one Wii to buy a game for another Wii. I've had friends come over and buy games on my Wii just cause they wanted to play it then.

[quote name='lilboo']Lunar Pool for everyone!![/QUOTE]

Hey I liked Lunar Pool. It was a fun little rent. Of course this is when I could rent NES games for $1.25 or $2.50 a day.

[quote name='The Crotch']God dammit, why is that "Asian Girls For Marriage" link everywhere?[/quote]

Tempting isn't it?

[quote name='Snake2715']I could see this actually evening out trades etc. Or if someone doesnt want to give a full points card.[/QUOTE]

OFF TOPIC:

Snake... I love your avatar. Show the MAGs some love! I myself have a minimag with intelliframe and dye ultralite. Haven't used it in about a year though, man I miss paintball.

Ok back on topic...

[quote name='Strell']I, too, wish to champion the Secret Santa idea if this ability goes live before the holidays.[/quote]

...IF?

...Are you kidding?

[quote name='Killer Rabbit']...IF?

...Are you kidding?[/QUOTE]

It's Nintendo. They can delay Smash Bros, I have no reason to doubt their ability to drill into the center of the Earth with which to blow the fucking planet up, as their villainy can certainly know no bounds at this moment.

[quote name='Strell']It's Nintendo. They can delay Smash Bros, I have no reason to doubt their ability to drill into the center of the Earth with which to blow the fucking planet up, as their villainy can certainly know no bounds at this moment.[/quote]

I seriously think they'll launch this with-in the next 30 days because this would add millions to their bottom line during the Christmas season. Imagine you got your grandmother to buy a Wii. Now you just get her friend code and boom instant new game for grandmother! The idea is brilliant.

[quote name='Strell']It's Nintendo. They can delay Smash Bros, I have no reason to doubt their ability to drill into the center of the Earth with which to blow the fucking planet up, as their villainy can certainly know no bounds at this moment.[/quote]
Yeah, but that was going to make them a lot of money in a few months. Adding a few more months onto that wasn't going to make a big difference in the long run. As Adam Sessler noted, the winter season is really, really, really...really crowded this year.

This, however, can make Nintendo alot of money, right now.

It's not like a whole bunch of fanboys are going to complain if there's lag on the connection, or the controls don't quite feel right, or if Luigi gets cut.

[quote name='Killer Rabbit']Yeah, but that was going to make them a lot of money in a few months. Adding a few more months onto that wasn't going to make a big difference in the long run. As Adam Sessler noted, the winter season is really, really, really...really crowded this year.
[/quote]

Are you kidding? How does that affect if I send my good friend Castlevania? Of course the holidays are crowded with games, but a $5 game is a great stocking stuffer and it really doesn't matter if anyone even plays the game, Nintendo got your $5.

This will go in effect very soon and I expect a message from Big N to light up my Wii.

[quote name='zerowing']Are you kidding? How does that affect if I send my good friend Castlevania? Of course the holidays are crowded with games, but a $5 game is a great stocking stuffer and it really doesn't matter if anyone even plays the game, Nintendo got your $5.

This will go in effect very soon and I expect a message from Big N to light up my Wii.[/quote]
Did you read the part of my post where I quoted Strell? Did you see how I was referring to SUPER SMASH BROS. BRAWL? Did you read the part where I said:

"This, however, can make Nintendo alot of money, right now."

By "this" I was referring to VC Download Gifts. Like your good friend's Castlevania.

So, in summary: :booty: :applause:

I guess my one concern has been mentioned. If you have a friend who's already purchased the game, what do you do then? Do you "lose" the points that you spent? Or even in another situation where (God forbid) they refuse the game. Now what? There needs to be someway to "redeem" your game or give them the ability to turn it back into points.

Or even worse. What if you have no friends? Gahh, I hate you Nintendo for mocking me!

[quote name='BlueLobstah']I guess my one concern has been mentioned. If you have a friend who's already purchased the game, what do you do then? Do you "lose" the points that you spent? Or even in another situation where (God forbid) they refuse the game. Now what? There needs to be someway to "redeem" your game or give them the ability to turn it back into points.

Or even worse. What if you have no friends? Gahh, I hate you Nintendo for mocking me![/QUOTE]

Well, if you send a game to someone who has it, I'm sure a badly-animated gif of Reggie shows up proclaiming MUAHHAHAHA, YOUR WASTED MONEYS TASTESESTDS SO GEWWWWWWWWWWWWD

I'm sure they've allocated many, many humiliating (and insulting) things to do when such situations as you describe happen.

Also, KR, while you have a point, I have no faith in Nintendo's "get the update NOW" skills, but I fully wait to be proven wrong.

There WILL be Earthbound for all with this. Do you all hear me? And most likely, Sin and Punishment to follow.

[quote name='Zen Davis']I seriously think they'll launch this with-in the next 30 days because this would add millions to their bottom line during the Christmas season. Imagine you got your grandmother to buy a Wii. Now you just get her friend code and boom instant new game for grandmother! The idea is brilliant.[/QUOTE]

That's it! I'm getting grandma Splatterhouse.

I'm totally in for CAG secret santa!

My thought is this. Each person makes a list of what VC games they already have. Then a list of games they'd be interested in, or at least genres. (I think just saying "BUY ME MARIO 1!!!!" kinda takes the fun out of it. I'd like to see the Santas have some choice in the matter.)

I'm not sure it could really be secret since I'm guessing the transfer thing would say whom its from, but we could set it up to not know until it arrives I guess.

I'd offer to help coordinate. As long as we've got good folks involved (I like the iTrader source) and an even number of people, this could be a lot of fun!

EDIT: I'd suggest 2 people to pair everyone up and send out PMs about it. Split up the list 50/50, and that way the coordinators could not be pairing up themselves with someone. We just need to come up with iTrader limits, whether or not we want to make exceptions for that limit. Spending limits (points total? game total?)

[quote name='daroga']I'm totally in for CAG secret santa!

My thought is this. Each person makes a list of what VC games they already have. Then a list of games they'd be interested in, or at least genres. (I think just saying "BUY ME MARIO 1!!!!" kinda takes the fun out of it. I'd like to see the Santas have some choice in the matter.)

I'm not sure it could really be secret since I'm guessing the transfer thing would say whom its from, but we could set it up to not know until it arrives I guess.

I'd offer to help coordinate. As long as we've got good folks involved (I like the iTrader source) and an even number of people, this could be a lot of fun!

EDIT: I'd suggest 2 people to pair everyone up and send out PMs about it. Split up the list 50/50, and that way the coordinators could not be pairing up themselves with someone. We just need to come up with iTrader limits, whether or not we want to make exceptions for that limit. Spending limits (points total? game total?)[/QUOTE]

Agreed, but does the gifting service tell you when the recipient already has the game you're trying to send. And if so, does it give you the option to send points? I'd have to think it would.

Also, we need two 'administrators' for game - so long as one is willing to step up and spring for a VC download if the number of Secret Santas is odd rather than even.

[quote name='daroga']I'm totally in for CAG secret santa!

EDIT: I'd suggest 2 people to pair everyone up and send out PMs about it. Split up the list 50/50, and that way the coordinators could not be pairing up themselves with someone. We just need to come up with iTrader limits, whether or not we want to make exceptions for that limit. Spending limits (points total? game total?)[/quote]

I'm totally in!

Would a thread devoted just to Secret Santa setup and execution (and let this thread remain for talking about the service in general) be a good idea or just clutter?

[quote name='daroga']Would a thread devoted just to Secret Santa setup and execution (and let this thread remain for talking about the service in general) be a good idea or just clutter?[/quote]

I'd be all right with having another thread.

You're all getting Urban Champion, and you're going to like it.

Seriously though, this is cool. I'm down for Secret Santa.

This is a cool idea, especially if you're willing to spend a few minutes on Gaming Lagoon; I signed up earlier today and already have enough points for a Wii Points card (sorry for that blatant plug).

But yeah, a great idea. I hope they implement this soon. Now if I only had friends with Wiis... :(

[quote name='daroga']Alright, Zen. Do you want to maintain the new thread or should I?[/quote]
I think you should maintain it since I don't think I'd do a very good job when it comes to organization. You can call me your #2. ;)

Yay nintendo is letting people share roms.
To bad they still charge money for something that is free in most places.

bread's done
Back