New website I've been working on

vampireblood

CAGiversary!
Hey my name is Adam (but that's not important)

The important thing is I've been working on a website for some time now and I wanted to post it here for opinions.

I've been designing a site similar to Digg except for Video game news exclusively.

I'm Currently I'm seeking new members, Submitters and Admins (to police the site from Spam etc)

http://gameradam.com/

Black on that dark red isn't so hot.
1up makes it seem like you're robbing 1up.
Are you sure about the name? I don't think you could really make it a "brand" like Digg or Reddit have done.

Yeah I was thinking about buying another domain name however it seems anything is a go.

(Del.ic.ious, Flickr, Pownce, Digg etc)

It seems any name goes.

“What program are you using to design it?”

The site is designed using Dreamweaver CS3 and Photoshop CS3

"1up makes it seem like you're robbing 1up."

1up don't own any right to the name 1up, it's a video game term used from the original Mario games, if anything Nintendo should own the copyright however this term has been used in allot of video games.

Thanks for all your considerations. I’m still looking for help on Submissions, Admins and people to 1Up news.

I think it's a great start. Keep it up.

I need to build a site of my own with my design portfolio on it. Just haven't had time to sit down and start it. I just finished a class on Flash. So I'm gonna experiment with using it when I do start.

Also, good luck getting much serious feedback on this site. Most people are trying too hard to be funny.

hmm, i looked at your source code, did you manually put in those anchors (ex: Everything you wanted to know about Gears of War 2)?

What do you mean?

It's all part of CSS and PHP scripting.

The site operates very similar to Digg, people submit news, others vote on it and it gets promoted to the homepage.

I'm only promoting news to the homepage as an admin but would really like the users to control what ends up on the homepage.

The things I need by Adam - Users, 1Up, Mushrooms, Admins.

On another note.

What I was planning on doing is giving people free stuff for submitting news to the site and being a "top submitter"

Free Video games and stuff but eventually if the site ever does take off I'll offer bigger prizes (consoles etc)

I should really add stuff to the pages (no about or FAQ etc)

Anyway back to work.

i had a website myself at one point but alot of jerks ruined it so i quit forever. but i plan to revive it at one point, but under a new name. also dont give up hope i think ur website is very good but dont plagerize i got in trouble for that on numreous occasions from more than one source. and were talking $$$$.

[quote name='TastyMouthful']wait a sec.... www.n4g.com[/quote]

Yes I'm well aware of N4G I even have submit news buttons in share to them.

However I think my site serves a differnt purpose.

My site it more closly related to Digg in layout and design but only for video games.

Very minimalistic for faster loading.

I'm going to buy a dedicated server rig to host it on.

[quote name='Ender']It's a shitty idea. Kill yourself.[/quote]

Says the guy with a shitty blog that no one reads.

I think it's a great start and a pretty good idea, I can't think of any sites that are like digg that is focused only on video game news.

Keep it up.

I think your colors aren't too lively, which actually might win you some support as sites like Kotaku, 1up and N4g all use light colors, but seeing as your website does exactly what they do in that they just take news form one place and post it on their sites, I am more inclined to check out their websites.

Need help I'd more then willing to moderate or Write I have an English degree and have written for a few websites.

Looks good.

Opps guess my grammar blows on that post.

[quote name='kube00']Need help I'd more then willing to moderate or Write I have an English degree and have written for a few websites.

Looks good.[/quote]

Hilarious.

Thanks for the feedback.

The site layout:

The badges and practically everything on the site is temperately so if I get bored and sick of it I'll change it round, change the colours etc.

(The background of grey is starting to annoy me already and I'm going to change it)

At the moment I'm still righting up documentation on pages, FAQ, About, etc.

It's still a work in progress after all.

I suppose the site is useful for people called Adam and not much else, instantly forgettable - unless could be called adamandeve.com maybe?

If linking to other gamer sites, then probably best to mention that in the text description. The layout is ok, but what about making money from it?

[quote name='yukine']Says the guy with a shitty blog that no one reads.

[/quote]

What are you talking about? I get 160 hits every single day. :lol:

[quote name='Ender']What are you talking about? I get 160 hits every single day. :lol:[/quote]

Neither does his family

It's a nice site Adam it's really hard to make up something original and have it take off, but hey you got CAGs. The UI just needs to be more lively like most people are saying, it seems like the homepage is the only thing to do.

I'll frequent the site from now on keep working hard :D

[quote name='gdawe5']unless could be called adamandeve.com maybe?[/quote]

im pretty sure that's where they keep the dildos.

[quote name='DougCL']im pretty sure that's where they keep the dildos.[/quote]

hahaha was gonna say the same thing. Except it's minus the "and".

[quote name='Mattte']Don't try and be the "Digg for video games". There's already one (http://digg.com/gaming).

Do something unique that will make people actually come back, and definitely do an overhaul on the design, looks like its from 2001.[/quote]

I'm not trying to be.

In allot of ways Digg has outgrown its core audience of Technology and Gaming news.

This is evident on the Frontpage. Look in Top 24 Hours, 30 Days etc.

Also I am SICK of the constant Digg fanboyism that is Digg stories about Digg.

"How much I love Digg or This is why I love Digg +1000 Diggs"

In a way I think Digg has become a giant fanboy wank contest.

[quote name='vampireblood']I've been designing a site similar to Digg except for Video game news exclusively.[/quote]
[quote name='vampireblood']I'm not trying to be.[/quote]
:whistle2:k
[quote name='vampireblood']In allot of ways Digg has outgrown its core audience of Technology and Gaming news.

This is evident on the Frontpage. Look in Top 24 Hours, 30 Days etc.

Also I am SICK of the constant Digg fanboyism that is Digg stories about Digg.

"How much I love Digg or This is why I love Digg +1000 Diggs"

In a way I think Digg has become a giant fanboy wank contest.[/quote]

I see those like once every 2 months, but seriously, trying to even slightly replicate something that is already popular is generally a losing battle. To me the site seems exactly to be like Digg, except it doesn't have the user base.

[quote name='Mattte']:whistle2:k

I see those like once every 2 months, but seriously, trying to even slightly replicate something that is already popular is generally a losing battle. To me the site seems exactly to be like Digg, except it doesn't have the user base.[/quote]

You have to start somewhere, Communities don't just spring up over night. It takes time.

[quote name='vampireblood']
My site it more closly related to Digg in layout and design but only for video games.

[/QUOTE]

Just like the Digg video game site.

it looks very professional, but it could still use a little streamlining.
and the other thing is, digg has a page just for gaming,
so you may want to tweak the sites focus a bit.

bread's done
Back