New Wii for the Kids! Help me with some games...and more...

Boseafus

CAG Veteran
So I picked up a Wii for my children (6 Year old Daughter and 9 Year old Son) as a Christmas Present. I figured there was a chance they might be hard to get in a month so get it early. I also picked up Wii play for that Second controler and those other mini games looked fun (it was $40).

So, my main question is, what are some must have games for the Wii (for my Kids). They have a Gamecube and both have a DS which they love. On the GC, My son likes Smash Bros. (is it much different from the Wii version).
I have heard they would like Excite Truck, Zelda and if I can get it, the new Super Mario game.
My daughter is probably the biggest ??? when it comes to games. She loves cooking mama but frankly, I'm not really interested in buying those lame Barbie or Disney Princess titles. I just want good games that both she and my son will like.

Also, I would like to pick up a game for me as well like Call of Duty or Metal of Honor (FPS)....is there one you would recommend?

Finally, a heard somewhere that i could play my old dreamcast games on the wii (actual cd's). I believe that I can download these games right? but could I actually play my old cd's on the Wii (with a mod or something)?

Thanks for the help.

Going back to play my the Crisis Demo on my PC (two new 8800 GT cards).:bouncy:

You're not going to find any good FPS games for yourself on the Wii, other than Metroid. As far as I know, all of Wii FPS's to date suck pretty bad.

I don't know what to recommend for your kids. I'm not good at guessing what kids will like.

[quote name='Boseafus']
Finally, a heard somewhere that i could play my old dreamcast games on the wii (actual cd's).
[/quote]

You can't.

Aye, only good FPS at the moment is Metroid Prime 3. I've heard varying comments about Red Steel, but since Red Steel 2 is practically confirmed, you might as well wait for that.

Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 supposedly does the FPS genre well, so I would suggest waiting for some information on it when it comes out.

For your kids? Mmm. I'll suggest Super Paper Mario, so long as they can read and understand what's going on. I don't know the age at which kids start reading and such, but at the least, maybe you could play it with them.

Zack and Wiki might be up your alley, since it's a fun puzzle game. It might be a little difficult for kids that young, but again, I have no honest clue. Regardless, the game is amazing, and really should be considered.

I think Rayman Raving Rabbids is the best minigame game out there, and it's hilarious to boot. RRR2 is about to come out, and it might be worth a look as well.

Of course, Zelda is awesome. Mario Galaxy will most certainly be awesome. Those two are most likely a must.

After that...mmm. Super Mario Strikers is an excellent sports game, so I'd suggest that.

I'll let others give some suggestions.

Super Mario Galaxy, Zelda, Elebits, Cooking Mama: Cook Off, Mario Party 8, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga (if they haven't played the first two GameCube games already). Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games looks like it may be a promising game for kids. I had Gold Medal Challenge '92 by Capcom for my NES and I played the daylights out of that game as a kid.

Sir, please be a good father, sir:
buy your kids Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure.

Reasons for my recommendations, sir:

The game is everything you asked for, sir, and it is equally enjoyed by any genders, age groups, races, and religions, now that the muslim thing has been edited out.

Sir, this game is only not enjoyed by those who are allergic to fun, goodness, awesomeness, and badassery, sir.

It has a golden monkey, sir. It has pirates. It has treasure chests, sir. Lots of such. It only costs $39.99 - and you can get it for just $15 if you pick up Super Mario Galaxy on its release date at Toys'R'Us - just saying, sir, I am not a plant. A GOLDEN MONKEY, SIR! I urge you to consider.

I do have an invested interest, however, since the game is so awesome that I hope that it sells better than it is selling now. I want more point - and - click adventures for the Wii, but if you notice I'm recommending you the good one (i.e. not Agatha Cristie's "And Then There Were None" - which is also an adventure game, and I hear there are puzzles involved), and I promise you, sir, the title I in question is all quality. 100%, unless you count the secret stages in which case it's more like 160% - but this is only my estimate.... sir.

I wish your kids many happy nights, and I hope that they'll find out the simple joy of solving awesome (and sometimes hard) puzzles.

Sir, thank you for your attention and/or consideration, sir.

MarioColbert out.

[quote name='MarioColbert']Sir, please be a good father, sir:
buy your kids Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure.

Reasons for my recommendations, sir:

The game is everything you asked for, sir, and it is equally enjoyed by any genders, age groups, races, and religions, now that the muslim thing has been edited out.

Sir, this game is only not enjoyed by those who are allergic to fun, goodness, awesomeness, and badassery, sir.

It has a golden monkey, sir. It has pirates. It has treasure chests, sir. Lots of such. It only costs $39.99 - and you can get it for just $15 if you pick up Super Mario Galaxy on its release date at Toys'R'Us - just saying, sir, I am not a plant. A GOLDEN MONKEY, SIR! I urge you to consider.

I do have an invested interest, however, since the game is so awesome that I hope that it sells better than it is selling now. I want more point - and - click adventures for the Wii, but if you notice I'm recommending you the good one (i.e. not Agatha Cristie's "And Then There Were None" - which is also an adventure game, and I hear there are puzzles involved), and I promise you, sir, the title I in question is all quality. 100%, unless you count the secret stages in which case it's more like 160% - but this is only my estimate.... sir.

I wish your kids many happy nights, and I hope that they'll find out the simple joy of solving awesome (and sometimes hard) puzzles.

Sir, thank you for your attention and/or consideration, sir.

MarioColbert out.[/quote]

we all know Zack and wiki is a fantastic game. stop spamming the forums with ''zack and wiki '' this and '' zack and wiki'' that. I personally cannot wait for the
game, but your making it worse by praising it everywhere you go

Cannot wait? It's out already.

It's the type of game that needs this outward push. and more word-of-mouth to drive sales.

[quote name='EXStrike']Cannot wait? It's out already.

It's the type of game that needs this outward push. and more word-of-mouth to drive sales.[/quote]

I'm getting it for christmas, and I dont want to ruin the christmas fun.
I guess your right, its not like Zack and wiki is a well known game. and getting back on topic,

mario galaxy
super paper mario
wii play
lego star wars : CS

[quote name='mega_n00bzer']we all know Zack and wiki is a fantastic game. stop spamming the forums with ''zack and wiki '' this and '' zack and wiki'' that. I personally cannot wait for the
game, but your making it worse by praising it everywhere you go[/quote]
Suggesting a game in a thread asking for game suggestions totally makes him a spammer.

You're completely right. Thank you for pointing this out.

:applause:

Super Monkey Ball
Lego Star Wars
Wario Ware
Mario Galaxy

Honestly I think Zelda would be too hard, but if they could play Wind Waker or Phantom Hourglass, go ahead and get it.

And nice job on getting not one, but two 8800GT's. Those are amazing.

Best Games for the Wii.. which are great for you and your kids.. at least I think:

Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure
^^^ This is a puzzle game. It's true. I got mine sent friday night. Let me tell you, the graphics, they are cartoonish/great for kids, and it's also very challenging. I got stuck a few times myself. It's a good game. The controls are GREAT. The only bad thing is that sometimes in the really hard levels, you might die a few times, and unless you want to revive (which lowers your score), you have to restart at the beginning. No biggie though. It's fun.

Mario Strikers Charged
^^^ This is a soccer game. Your kids are probably already familiar with all the trademark characters for Nintendo (Mario, Luigi, etc..). The game is fun, multiplayer is a blast (assuming you have WiFi), and it's not violent for the kids, yet fun, especially for you and your family of all ages. Moreover, if your kids don't know the buttons, they can button smash pretty much on this game as long as they know how to kick and pass.

MLB Power Pros
^^^ This is a baseball game. Now, I don't watch baseball myself. However, when it comes to playing, it's great. Plus, winter is coming and no one plays baseball then. I don't have the game, but I heard that the controls are awesome, and that there are numerous options you can use. It's also two player (both opposing teams though; can't play with each other). There's an RPG mode which you can play or your kids can play, or you guys can just battle it out 2 player mode. The pretty much only bad part are the teams are like last year, so they might be a bit out of date. If you aren't that much of a baseball fan, you won't even notice.

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
^^^ RPG Game. It was okay (mostly cause it's so long). I still haven't beaten it, and probably never will. There's not much I can say about this game; only that it's a really great RPG.

Upcoming Games which should be noted:
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles (violent, not for your kids)
Super Mario Galaxy

Medal of Honor: Heroes 2

Or, go buy a Wii Points Card, and get some virtual console games. While searching for some great Wii Games, I came across this site that said Bonk's Adventure is out for VC on the Wii. :OOO I played that when I was a kid, and that kicked some MAJOR A$$. I'm going to see if it's there.. omgomgomh. it's to the point where i'm orgasming because i remember this game but i never knew the name of it

I personally haven't played it, but a friend of mine with two younger children (I believe the youngest just started Kindergarten) said his kids *love* Carnival Games. Might be worth checking out.

Wow. Thanks for all of the great responses! I will head over to TRU today and grab a few (and I am interested in Super Mario and with a $25 GC, that sounds like a deal).

Nate

definitly buy some vc games. some of them are easy enough for the kids, but deep enough for yourself, plus their cheap too, but youl need a classic controller/gc pad to play snes/n64 games

some I recommened

super mario bros ( nes ) instant classic
mario kart 64 ( n64 ) fun kids racer, great multiplayer
yoshis story ( n64) great for the kids! very cute platformer
sonic the hedgehog ( genisis ) very fun, kids will love it.
bonks adventure ( turbografx/ pc engine ) hilarious caveman platformer

my 6 year old boy loves zack and wiki , MLB power pros, carnival games and lego starwars.
He is also playing guitar hero 3 on the PS3 but I am sure it is good on the wii as well.

[quote name='Boseafus']Finally, a heard somewhere that i could play my old dreamcast games on the wii (actual cd's). I believe that I can download these games right? but could I actually play my old cd's on the Wii (with a mod or something)? [...]Going back to play my the Crisis Demo on my PC (two new 8800 GT cards).[/quote]hardcore enough to be up on the Crysis demo with 8800s but soft enough to think you can play dreamcast games on a Wii? I'm not sure how to feel about this.

I'd first recommend going thru a top 10 list, more than one actually. Lots of them. look for games that show up repeatedly. You'll find a lot of easy to recommend games there.

Super Mario Galaxy
Metroid Prime 3
Zelda Twilight Princess
Naruto: Clash of the Ninja Revolution
Battalion Wars 2
Mario Strikers Charged
Excite Truck
Mario Party 8
Super Paper Mario
Zack and Wiki
Warioware
SSX Blur
Sonic and the Secret Rings

What you want in a situation like yours is to select a good game. Not necessarily their favourite (if you knew that you'd not be asking for advice). You want a game that they can enjoy but obviously nothing too esoteric unless you know they're into strange genres. These games are pretty simple to get into and most people would agree they're quality games. A lot of people have expressed annoyance with Mario Party 8 but universally it seems to be a 'nothing new' problem. If they've never played Mario Party before however it should be fine, fun times. Excitetruck is a blast. I loved it but it's a bit shallow. There's not a whole lot to do. If you find a good deal I'd take it. I wouldn't recommend Battalion Wars 2 personally. I never liked the first one but in the interest of being fair it's gotten good reviews. Sonic and SSX seem to be ok games.

My top 3 recommendations for kids that age would be Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, and ExciteTruck.

:wii:Smash Bros is different from :gc:SB in the sense that Halo 3 is different from Halo:Combat Evolved. If you can play the first, you'll be more than fine on the newer one.
E:
[quote name='Chronotrigga']Or, go buy a Wii Points Card, and get some virtual console games. [/quote]as the trigga suggests VC games are a great chocie as well.

[quote name='Wolfkin']hardcore enough to be up on the Crysis demo with 8800s but soft enough to think you can play dreamcast games on a Wii? I'm not sure how to feel about this.

[/quote]

Feel how ever you want? Truth is, I just don't like consoles as much myself and haven't really kept up on them. A buddy let me borrow his xbox 360 to play Halo 3 and I actually didn't really enjoy it nearly as much as I was hoping to. I'm trying to, but Just can't get use to the slow pace of shooters on a console (I'll keep trying though...hence my question about the FPS on Wii).

And...is it really out of the question with a mod chip to play various games on the Wii system? Maybe so, but I have been impressed what they have been able to do with Xbox modding.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. Good stuff...

heres my order of games ur kids may like

1. Mario Strikers Charged
It's soccer, and has both male and female characters.

2. Super Mario Galaxy (comes out Nov. 12)
Every1 likes mario

3. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (comes out Feb 2008)
It has many icons from the gaming world including Mario, and Sonic and has both male and female characters.

4. Mario and Sonic at the Olympic games
It's sports and has Mario and Sonic and has both male and female characters.

5. Naruto: Clash of Ninja Revolution
It's Naruto, c'mon, how can u say no to him and has both male and female characters.

*the fact that it has female characters will appeal to your daughter (supposedly). based on what i've seen, all of the girls under the age of 13 usually will always play as female characters and be more likely to play that game.

Resident Evil 4 is a good grown-up game (third-person shooter) and only $30
Metroid Prime 3 is supposedly the best first-person shooter on the Wii, and doesn't have that pesky M-rating.

For the kids,
Super Mario Galaxy - free $25 Gift Card when you buy it at Toys R Us next week
Zelda and Wario Ware are both good choices for them. WW is a good mini-game compilation like Cooking Mama, and Zelda is your usual classic fantasy adventure.
I'd also recommend Manhunt 2 for them.

My son is 6. I got him a Wii for Christmas last year.

Here's a list of the games that he has played and enjoyed:

1. Wii Sports -- the pack-in game. He loves this game. He likes the training and fittness stuff the most, and he can kick my butt at bowling. I think he has a 220 average.

2. WarioWare - Smooth Moves -- a lot of quick motion controls. The game changes constantly and is great for short-attention spans

3. SpongeBob Squarepants -- my son loves spongebob. This game was easy enough that he beat it in about a week of light playing. That's a good thing. He still goes back and plays it all the time.

4. Paper Mario -- he's farther along than I am in it. But reading skills are necessary as is patience. Recommended for the older child.

5. Super Mario Galaxy -- the one game that everyone should own. We played at a Gamestop for a while and I had to drag him away after he beat the first couple of levels.

6. Cars -- if you can find it cheap this is an enjoyable game for kids. The races are easy and the controls are forgiving. You might enjoy paying it with them.

7. Rayman -- this is the one game that my wife will play. she likes the dancing part (which is way too hard for the 6 year old). My son likes some of the mini games, but some are just too hard for him.

8. Super Monkey Ball -- The Wii version's tilt controls make this a much more difficult game than it's predecessors. My son LOVED SMB 1 and SMB 2 for the gamecube. But he likes puzzles like that. Once you pass a certain level the controls will be very difficult for the little ones. But there are tons of mini games that the kids can play together.

9. Mercury Meltdown Revolution -- another ball rolling type game. My son likes to play around with it but it's just a bit too hard. But the price is right since it retails for $20.

Also, there are plenty of titles on the virtual console that are worth picking up for the little ones. Yoshi's Story is one. My son also likes to play Mario Cart 64.

So, going on the recommendations here I made this list. I too just bought a Wii for our family for Christmas and I am definitely buying Mario Galaxy and Wii Play (for the extra controller). The asterisks represent multiple mentions (I admit it's not the most accurate list, but I threw it together pretty quick).

Best Kid Friendly
Super Mario Galaxy *****
Zack and Wiki ***
Super Monkey Ball ***
Rayman **
Mario Strikers Charged **
Excite Truck **
Super Paper Mario **
Warioware **
Naruto: Clash of the Ninja Revolution *
MLB Power Pros *
lego star wars : CS *
wii play
Mario Party 8
SSX Blur
Sonic and the Secret Rings
Mario and Sonic at the Olympic games
Cars
Mercury Meltdown Revolution

Non Kid
Metroid Prime 3 ***
Zelda Twilight Princess ***
Medal of Honor: Heroes 2
Battalion Wars 2

I was also wondering what you guys/gals think of Tiger Woods for the Wii?

If your going to buy any wii games get...
warioware
zelda
zack and wiki
Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Bros
Mayby excite Truck and Lego Star Wars

Download starfox 64, super Metroid, Paper Mario and Gunstar Heroes
Super Mario 3 is a classic.

[quote name='Strell']
For your kids? Mmm. I'll suggest Super Paper Mario, so long as they can read and understand what's going on. I don't know the age at which kids start reading and such, but at the least, maybe you could play it with them.

Zack and Wiki might be up your alley, since it's a fun puzzle game. It might be a little difficult for kids that young, but again, I have no honest clue. Regardless, the game is amazing, and really should be considered.

I think Rayman Raving Rabbids is the best minigame game out there, and it's hilarious to boot. RRR2 is about to come out, and it might be worth a look as well.
[/QUOTE]

Wait, hold the phone! Something about which Strell is not a fucking expert!?!? I'm astonished! ;).

Anyway, I agree with the Rayman Raving Rabbids suggestion - but maybe wait for the new one (of course, if the first one gets cheap, which, much to my surprise it has not yet, then snag that).

I have yet to play Zack & Wiki. I keep showing it to my kids and keep getting the "meh" response from them.

But to answer your issues about ages, Strell, I'd say no way is Super Paper Mario for a 6 year-old unless you play it with them extensively. The OP's 9 year-old could probably handle it though. My 4 year-old was the most interested in it, actually, but it got VERY tedious to read all the text to him. FWIW, kids can start reading as early as 4 (like my daughter) or still struggle with it at 7 (like my son). Basically, though, a text-heavy game like SPM will not be for the under 9 set, whether they can read it or not.

As for some of the other suggestions, I second Cars, especially that it can be found dirt cheap now. And maybe the new Lego Star Wars is worth a look if they haven't played the others. In fact, I would say it is a must buy if they haven't played the others (personally, since we have, I'm waiting for a price drop). This is a perfect game for the younger set as it doesn't require much reading (if any at all) and is not overly difficult. I'd say it would be perfect for both a 6 and 9 year-old though. You may end up with a ton of gameplay out of it.

I would add Thrillville 2 to the list.

Extremely overlooked.

The trailer is silly but its a fantastic games for kids and parents to play together.

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=88Qz9XaBffE[/media]

I know my buddy has a six year old that LOVES Cars on the Wii, so you might think about that one.

For me, with kids, I would say...Wario Ware, Super Mario Galaxy (looks great, haven't played it), Mario Party 8. Maybe Mario & Sonic or Lego Star Wars? I would avoid Super Monkey Ball like the plague. As a HYOOGE fan of the GC games, I cannot believe how horribly they butchered the Wii version. A tremendous disappointment, my biggest on the Wii by far.

For the adults, I would go for...Excite Truck (insanely awesome arcade racer) cannot be missed. It's probably my most played game on the Wii.

Oh! And don't forget...you have the Virtual Console as an option too. Lots of great games on there!

RD

bread's done
Back