New Xbox 360 coming out? Question..

Spades22

CAGiversary!
YA just wondering if this rumour of a new type of xbox 360 coming out was true, and that the current type will fall in price? I don't know whether to keep mine, or sell it now while the prices are higher...then get a new one when they fall so I can get warranty and stuff or maybe the newer one. Is this for sure, that the current 360 will fall in price? Or when do you think it WILL fall in price?

I figured that if Microsoft was going to announce a new type of 360, they'd announce it at GDC and that didn't happen. With Halo 3 coming out later this year and a lack of PS3 + Wii pricedrops, I don't think the 360 will drop in price at all.

IF it does, it'll be for the holidays.

They aren't going to announce it ahead of time. That would ruin their sales of the current 360 models. It will be announced the day that it is released. It's just like what Apple does when new iPods and Macs come out. They don't announce the updated products until the day they are released. I fully expect the same strategy from Microsoft concerning a new 360 model.

Like Daroga said, it hasn't been confirmed straight from Microsoft's mouth *yet*, but Game Informer printed the news early. According to the Microsoft leaker at GAF(he has leaked a bunch of release info before, so he is trusted), the things in Game Informer are real and a press release will be sent out at the end of the month. I would grab all the information listed, but the GAF forums are down right now.

Oh, and don't expect a price drop because the new model doesn't take the $400 price tag.

the core will drop to 250 to match the wii, the premium will drop to 360 to have a clever price point and the new model will come out at 500 as a high-end-but-still-cheaper-than-the-60-gig-ps3-sysem.

but like others had said, dont expect to see any official announcement until the system is ready to be shipped or already being shipped.

[quote name='hufferstl']Noone on this or any other message board knows when or if Microsoft will announce a pricedrop or a new system.[/quote]

NOOOZZZZZ! DEM DUDES AT GAMEFAQS KNOW ALL DA SHIT! lol j/k on that but they do act like that.

Really though microsoft will neither confirm nor deny anything so really I would just wait, I mean if it is coming out this year it will come out before the holidays so just wait until then and then make your choice.

[quote name='hufferstl']Noone on this or any other message board knows when or if Microsoft will announce a pricedrop or a new system.[/quote]

So people who work at microsoft don't use the internet for message boards?

[quote name='Kendal']So people who work at microsoft don't use the internet for message boards?[/quote]
Probably, but most of the time it's called astroturfing.... :)

120GB and HDMI is nice, I suppose... but most current owners shouldn't fret... I bet there's a 120GB add-on in the wings...a cooler, quieter 360 will only increase their market share.

Couple that with the 65nm (rumored) PS3, and we won't have to take out a new cooling system just to keep our next-gen consoles from melting. :)

I hope you are joking. Of the 76,000 employees that work for MSFT, I'm sure that some of them are on message boards. Of the 50 that actually decide on when and if price drops happen, I am sure they aren't giving away many secrets on forums. No matter what people "think" microsoft should do, we won't know until it happens. They aren't going to tell us in advance that in two months we will be able to get a better/cheaper 360.

[quote name='Kendal']So people who work at microsoft don't use the internet for message boards?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Foolman']Here is the thread with the GI leaked info:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146700&highlight=zephyr

Basically what it says is:
Called Zephyr
120 gig HD
Black
$479.99
Separate 120gig HDD for under $200
Will release late April
HDMI

Mildewproduction(the MS leaker at GAF) says that GI printed the info early. A press release will be coming on the 29th.[/QUOTE]

I surely hope the 120gig drive is LESS THAN $200! It better be $99 or less if they expect to sell them. $200 is insanely high.

The price difference between a 2.5" notebook SATA drive versus a 3.5" desktop SATA drive is somewhat higher, though it's sure as hell not $200 for a 120GB drive. You can pick up numerous 120GB 2.5" SATA drives for under $100, and some 160GB drives as well.

[quote name='Indiana']I surely hope the 120gig drive is LESS THAN $200! It better be $99 or less if they expect to sell them. $200 is insanely high.[/QUOTE]

Considering they sell the 20GB for $99.99 its still in value in the consumers eyes. Not sure why anyone at this point would need a 120GB drive unless they download a TON of TV shows though.

[quote name='gizmogc']Considering they sell the 20GB for $99.99 its still in value in the consumers eyes. Not sure why anyone at this point would need a 120GB drive unless they download a TON of TV shows though.[/quote]IPTV initiative coming out this late part of the year would be a great way to use that space on the 120GB drive, now wouldn't it?

[quote name='shrike4242']IPTV initiative coming out this late part of the year would be a great way to use that space on the 120GB drive, now wouldn't it?[/QUOTE]

That's really all it's for.

I just checked newegg, you can get 120 gig drives for around $89. Although the smallest notebook hdd you can get right now is 80 gig for around $65. So It's hard to compare to the current 20 gig drive.

Microsoft doesn't deny they are out to make a tidy profit on accessories. They make so little, if anything, on the console, who can blame them? Of course they will gouge us on the 120 gig HDD.

bread's done
Back