New XBOX Experience - General Discussion

probably not... i play way too many games on and off it wouldn't be worth it for me... all i'd be doing is shortening the life of my 120gb HDD... also my launch Xbox 360 isn't very loud... heck my 60gb PS3 is louder then it.

Nope because I only have 20GB. Not really interested in the feature anyway.

I'm in the 20gb camp as well. So I really don't see myself taking advantage of this feature. However, I wonder how much space Dead Rising would take up. :whistle2:k

[quote name='sunnysky']I just thought I'd ask my fellow CAGers if they plan on using the feature...[/QUOTE]

YES. It's the one feature I really am looking forward to. I've been through a few Xboxes due to DvD drive failures. I don't particularly care about the reduced noise or load times. Just the reduced wear and tear.

[quote name='Gourd']YES. It's the one feature I really am looking forward to. I've been through a few Xboxes due to DvD drive failures. I don't particularly care about the reduced noise or load times. Just the reduced wear and tear.[/quote]

You hit it right on the button. Just ordered a 120gb to upgrade to from my 20gb because the reason the noise is cut down is that it is using the drive a whole lot less and cuts down on the strain and heating of the system. I got a RRROD and tryed to fix it myself but couldn't (big mistake) next one I will send in, but would rather not get to that point. The shorter load times don't seem that signifficant, but the fact of taking the strain off the system is what really makes me want to use it.

[quote name='bubbafett4hire']leaked NXE?? isn't that just as bad as that leaked new game?[/quote]

Ummm no.

You pay for games, the NXE is free.

Now it would probably be illegal for people to sell the updates for profit.

[quote name='sunnysky']I just thought I'd ask my fellow CAGers if they plan on using the feature when the NXE comes out (installing full games to the hard drive).[/quote]

Most certainly.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Most certainly.[/quote]
I never really understood that. So you can download the games to your hard drive yet you would still need the CD to play. What exactly is the purpose of that?

[quote name='Littlefields']I never really understood that. So you can download the games to your hard drive yet you would still need the CD to play. What exactly is the purpose of that?[/QUOTE]

reduce loading time, less noise from dvd drive

[quote name='Littlefields']I never really understood that. So you can download the games to your hard drive yet you would still need the CD to play. What exactly is the purpose of that?[/quote]

1) Decreased load times. GameStop already ran some tests. The results were not stellar, but the reduction is some games is still noticeable.

2) Less stress on the disc drive. This is really good for older systems that have the less reliable drives.

3) Less noise coming from the system.

Saves on wear and tear, and it loads faster, and it's quieted. You only need the disc to start up to make sure you actually own the game. Otherwise, people would just rent games and copy them to their hard drive.

I'll put NHL and Rock Band on my system... don't really need it for other games... if I get Gears 2 I'll do it for that too

i don't know why so many people on other sites are making such a big deal about the leaked dashboard and bannings. Think of it like this, if you play world of warcraft, and you get a "patch" earlier than other people, you just wouldnt be able to play it until they officially update it, so you are pretty much locked out until then. they wouldn't ban you for getting a patch earlier, you aren't downloading a game illegaly early, you are just downloading a patch early which is the official patch they released, except you just got it earlier.

edit: wow i said early a lot :drool:

I'm tempted to download the early dashboard, but if there's going to be a Smackdown league, that would certainly put a damper on things. Decisions, decisions.

[quote name='thegamer4787']I've actually read through much of that exact topic recently and I am waiting for the NXE to hit and see if anyone (namely my roommate) has any problems with using his hacked hard drive (aka see if he gets banned).[/quote]
I'm pretty sure they can't detect anything that's ban-worthy. You're not modifying anything, you're simply swapping HDDs (in a really complex fashion). And more importantly, you aren't flashing your HDD to play games illegally.

[quote name='orbit18']I don't know why so many people on other sites are making such a big deal about the leaked dashboard and bannings.[/quote]

What are you talking about?
What other websites? What bannings?
Your leaked NXE console cannot connect to Xbox Live because your console ID is not recognized yet.
Microsoft wants people to be eager for this and hype it.
People speculating the worst case scenario is not fact.
Show me a post where somebody has said they have been banned.

Because of the negative blowback from this botched preview and the leaked NXE, I have a hunch that MS will do one of the following:

1- Send out more emails for the preview, possibly weekly till launch.
2- Just throw the whole thing out early to everyone.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Because of the negative blowback from this botched preview and the leaked NXE, I have a hunch that MS will do one of the following:

1- Send out more emails for the preview, possibly weekly till launch.
2- Just throw the whole thing out early to everyone.[/QUOTE]

That's what I was thinking/hoping.

I don't understand why they would want a limited beta/test group. Seems like they could find more bugs to fix with more people. At least they didn't make anyone buy a game to take place in it (SSF2HDR).

With Gears 2 coming out soon, they might throw a new batch of emails out. There is a huge backlash from fans against them for what they did and how they did it, so they might do it. Then the question becomes how many.

EDIT: After some thought, I'm thinking NXE might be on the Gears 2 disc.

[quote name='gordojones88']What are you talking about?
What other websites? What bannings?
Your leaked NXE console cannot connect to Xbox Live because your console ID is not recognized yet.
Microsoft wants people to be eager for this and hype it.
People speculating the worst case scenario is not fact.
Show me a post where somebody has said they have been banned.[/quote]

I think you misunderstood what I meant. I meant to say people are arguing about whether people will be banned for the update or not. And of course I say no cause its just a patch. The sites where people are arguing about stupid stuff, is like major nelson, neogaf, ign etcetc.

[quote name='glockant']got to create my avatar yesterday. the NXE rocks. check me out in my sig![/quote]

Soundbombing II omfg I love that album! Everything from Rawkus kicks ass. :]

I really don't think they're going to release it early. They'll stick with the 19th. As far as backlash, people are just being whiny because they didn't get in the preview.

I'm whiny myself because I want the install feature.

To install a leaked preview build, do you have to have a modded 'box? And since it apparently breaks connecting to live for you, there would be no way to get the actual NXE when it comes out on the 19th, right? I'd happily go offline until the 19th if it let me install Fable II early and save my poor (noisy) optical drive, but I don't want to brick my system for Live and future updates.

Nothing illegal, as people have said, your console simply isn't on the 'list' and is therefore disconnected from Live until the 19th.

[quote name='SynGamer']Nothing illegal, as people have said, your console simply isn't on the 'list' and is therefore disconnected from Live until the 19th.[/quote]

But then it magically connects again on the 19th to be "fixed"? I'm confused by all this. And how would I install it in this manner? Burn it to a DVD and just pop it in, or would I need to mod my system as well (which would be a lot more work than waiting til the 19th)?

I'm totally willing to go offline til the 19th just for the install feature.

Okay, got it. You download the file (link on page 38), unrar the file, and burn the $systemupdate folder to the root of a CD-R, then boot your system with the CD-R in the tray. Not too tough. Goodbye til the 19th, Live, and hello installed Fable II!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']But then it magically connects again on the 19th to be "fixed"? I'm confused by all this. And how would I install it in this manner? Burn it to a DVD and just pop it in, or would I need to mod my system as well (which would be a lot more work than waiting til the 19th)?

I'm totally willing to go offline til the 19th just for the install feature.[/QUOTE]

No modding necessary. Download the file, unzip/unrar it and you'll get a file inside of a folder. Burn only that folder & file within to a CD. Pop it in you 360, turn it off, then restart it. It will then ask you to update.

As far as the "magic" goes, Microsoft got the console ID from all the gamers they let into NXE early when they filled out that survey. That console ID is specific to each 360, so Microsoft opened up LIVE for those users' 360s. If your console ID isn't "on the list", you're SOL until the 19th when they'll open the floodgates for every console - including those that have installed NXE early who weren't selected for the preview.

The second part is what everyone is assuming, since there's been no official word from Microsoft other than Major Nelson's "A little reminder: If you get your hands on NXE and you are NOT in the Preview Program. You won't be allowed on LIVE."

[quote name='glockant']got to create my avatar yesterday. the NXE rocks. check me out in my sig![/quote]

good albums... cept for Rotten Apple... should have been called Rotten Album

what's with the Xbox radio thing... does it register songs you just stream or stuff ripped on your box that u play?

[quote name='ananag112']Can you use gamerpics as logos for T-Shirts on avatars?[/quote]

nope, which sucks. they are going to open an Avatar Store in Spring '09. you want more clothes? either pay for them or hope developers make them unlockables in their games.

[quote name='PhrostByte']Soundbombing II omfg I love that album! Everything from Rawkus kicks ass. :][/quote]
yessir, great album!

[quote name='DestroVega']good albums... cept for Rotten Apple... should have been called Rotten Album

what's with the Xbox radio thing... does it register songs you just stream or stuff ripped on your box that u play?[/quote]
yea, Rotten Apple was pretty crappy.

huh, Xbox radio thing? are you talking about my Zune card?

[quote name='jaybird']No modding necessary. Download the file, unzip/unrar it and you'll get a file inside of a folder. Burn only that folder & file within to a CD. Pop it in you 360, turn it off, then restart it. It will then ask you to update.

As far as the "magic" goes, Microsoft got the console ID from all the gamers they let into NXE early when they filled out that survey. That console ID is specific to each 360, so Microsoft opened up LIVE for those users' 360s. If your console ID isn't "on the list", you're SOL until the 19th when they'll open the floodgates for every console - including those that have installed NXE early who weren't selected for the preview.

The second part is what everyone is assuming, since there's been no official word from Microsoft other than Major Nelson's "A little reminder: If you get your hands on NXE and you are NOT in the Preview Program. You won't be allowed on LIVE."[/quote]

Yikes, so it's possible we'd be in some kind of permanent trouble? And what if there are permanent problems caused by installing it this way (like what? I dunno)? I doubt MS would be very sympathetic or have any obligation to help us.

All that said, I burned the folder (with the file in it) to a CD-R and popped it in, but instead of booting, it just goes to the dashboard and says it's a mixed media disc. I switched my options so it boots to disc rather than dashboard, but I still get the same results. I must've done something wrong.

I see what I did. I put the RAR file on the disc rather than what I'd unzipped from the rar. Sigh. One of those brain-dead days I guess.

Well, I'm going through with this. Hopefully those of us who do will still be okay come the 19th!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Yikes, so it's possible we'd be in some kind of permanent trouble? And what if there are permanent problems caused by installing it this way (like what? I dunno)? I doubt MS would be very sympathetic or have any obligation to help us.

All that said, I burned the folder (with the file in it) to a CD-R and popped it in, but instead of booting, it just goes to the dashboard and says it's a mixed media disc. I switched my options so it boots to disc rather than dashboard, but I still get the same results. I must've done something wrong.[/QUOTE]

You have to turn off your 360 with the disk in the tray, then restart.

I don't think anyone really thinks they're going to ban people from LIVE for installing the NXE early. It just doesn't make good business sense. They will disable hundreds, if not thousands of buyers during their most profitable time of the year for selling games. And these aren't just normal buyers, these are their hardcore users - the ones with attachment rates of 30 to 1. It just ain't gonna happen.

Major posted that to warn people of the consequences. You have to consider there are idiots who are calling tech support right now because they can't connect to LIVE. But to me and many others his statement ends with a silent "...until the 19th", he just can't say that.

[quote name='jaybird']You have to turn off your 360 with the disk in the tray, then restart.

I don't think anyone really thinks they're going to ban people from LIVE for installing the NXE early. It just doesn't make good business sense. They will disable hundreds, if not thousands of buyers during their most profitable time of the year for selling games. And these aren't just normal buyers, these are their hardcore users - the ones with attachment rates of 30 to 1. It just ain't gonna happen.

Major posted that to stop the rush and put a little scare into people. But to me and many others his statement ends with a silent "...until the 19th".[/quote]

Good point. Well thought-out. I'm sure someone would figure out a way to save us anyway.

I've got it installed now. I really like it. The old dashboard made me grind my teeth. I have no features til the 19th, but I have the feature I wanted--install! :) Cleaned out my puny HDD to make room for Fable II, and it's installing now. I'm actually really grateful for this, because I'll probably be done with Fable II by the 19th anyway.

[quote name='KingBroly']Maybe you can confirm this for me. Games with 0g you have. Are they on your Gamercard anymore?[/QUOTE]

Nope. I have 0 achievements on nhl 09, and it doesn't show up in the dashboard.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Good point. Well thought-out. I'm sure someone would figure out a way to save us anyway.

I've got it installed now. I really like it. The old dashboard made me grind my teeth. I have no features til the 19th, but I have the feature I wanted--install! :) Cleaned out my puny HDD to make room for Fable II, and it's installing now. I'm actually really grateful for this, because I'll probably be done with Fable II by the 19th anyway.[/QUOTE]

Fable 2 was the first thing I installed.

Enjoy the silence. :)

[quote name='screwkick']Nope. I have 0 achievements on nhl 09, and it doesn't show up in the dashboard.[/quote]

That is definitely awesome. I no longer have to see Yaris or Super Contra on my Gamercard anymore. Now if only I could delete achievements from games I hated/don't have anymore.

bread's done
Back