Next Xbox May or May Not Require Online/Allow Used Games (Update 4/25/13)

If you are dead seat on buying a launch console at launch, if there is a subsidized console WITH an included warranty then that is the one to pick, if you get the console you WILL need a warranty for it. I know the subsidized stuff sounds like a bad deal outright but you will either be paying for a warranty or paying for a console replacement sometime in its life so just get the one with the warranty if it includes that. You are better off dealing with MS on the warranty rather than BB or some other retailer. Extended warranties on these systems won't come cheap either.

[quote name='SaraAB']If you are dead seat on buying a launch console at launch, if there is a subsidized console WITH an included warranty then that is the one to pick, if you get the console you WILL need a warranty for it. I know the subsidized stuff sounds like a bad deal outright but you will either be paying for a warranty or paying for a console replacement sometime in its life so just get the one with the warranty if it includes that. You are better off dealing with MS on the warranty rather than BB or some other retailer. Extended warranties on these systems won't come cheap either.[/QUOTE]

Actually, if you read what I wrote above and the other comments after it, the subsidized verion actually sounds like a good deal.

Based on a quick google search, it looks like 6% is the most common sales tax rate. So lets go with that.

$500 + 30 sales tax = 530 total
$300 + 18 sales tax = 318 total + 240 live subscription = 558

It's pretty clear that the subsidized model is superior. If you want to buy gold anyway then buying the console outright at 500 would be foolish given the fact that you're going to have to look for cheap memberships. What's the best you can find, maybe 30 on black friday? So if you're LUCKY you'll get it for 590 and most people will pay at least 40 for them.

So assuming you want the gold membership, the subsidized console is actually the cheapest route to go.

530 buying it outright and not paying gold.
558 buying it with a 2 year gold contract.
590 buying it outright and buying 2 one year gold subs at 30 each.
610 buying it outright and buying 2 one year gold subs at 40 each. (more likely)

If this is actually the way they do this, I can't imagine anyone is going to buy it outright. Sony is going to HAVE to do this with the Playstation as well to compete. With MS and Sony having schemes like this available, I think it's safe to assume that NO ONE will buy a Wii U for $300 or $350. They're going to have to cut the price more than just 100 even as that would put the model that people actually want at 250 which is still damn close to the 300 console prices. I believe they're going to be forced to have a $150 price cut on the Wii U if this subsidy rumor is true. MS and Sony are going to drive Nintendo into another massive loss.

If the rumors regarding a projection-capable Kinect are true, than you can expect the NextBox to be more expensive than originally anticipated. That manner of additional peripheral is going to add significant cost to the production of the system. And including the device with all bundles of the system is the only way for Microsoft to insure development support.

Things aren't looking good for early adopter wallets this holiday season. The PS4 isn't going to be cheap because of the 8 Gigs of GDRAM they're cramming into it. And the NextBox won't be cheap because of the peripherals they seem to be incorporating into it.

I just can't imagine IllumiRoom working the way it was meant to... I mean, Kinect in theory was awesome but in use, it sucked dong. Even if it does, I don't think it's going to be all that impressed with a few lights ground around.

[quote name='Vinny']I just can't imagine IllumiRoom working the way it was meant to... I mean, Kinect in theory was awesome but in use, it sucked dong. Even if it does, I don't think it's going to be all that impressed with a few lights ground around.[/QUOTE]

IGN just posted an article about it:

"Microsoft has teased more information on its IllumiRoom may be coming this week, causing speculation to grow that the device has been incorporated in the design of the next-generation Xbox."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04...nto-next-xbox?abthid=517e92fb33dc794f7600000a

[quote name='Blaster man']
Based on a quick google search, it looks like 6% is the most common sales tax rate. So lets go with that.

$500 + 30 sales tax = 530 total
$300 + 18 sales tax = 318 total + 240 live subscription = 558
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this speculative analysis. I think you make a good argument if all the assumptions hold true.

It's certainly interesting to see the next generation starting to take shape.

I don't think anyone is going to pay $500 outright for a non subsidized model or at least not the masses. The only problem with the subsidies is that it does not bode well for Xmas sales, mommy and daddy won't be able to buy a console outright without a huge investment, and if someone else wants to give this to a kid as a gift it's going to be awful hard to do that with monthly payments. These consoles are designed for those that don't mind monthly payments, not a kid who does not have the money for monthly payments.

If the company guarantees to keep my console working for the length of the contract then it will not be that bad of a deal, and the subsidized model makes a lot of sense.

Nintendo hardware is worth about $100-150 for me, for both handhelds and consoles, I don't care what the system costs to manufacture or the price they charge, their lack of a game lineup and lack of power and their buggy console simply does not warrant the $300 cost of a next gen console especially since I probably have to tack on the cost of $60-100 for an external hard drive. I can buy a fairly capable desktop computer for $500 or less, or a tablet for about the same cost or less of a Wii U and play games for free on it. Now I am not saying the Wii U won't pick up because it most likely will in 2 years or so but this is how it stands now. The Wii U also proves that the average mom won't pay more to get something so similar to something they already have regardless so I think the new consoles are going to have a very tough time selling to anything but the hardcore gamer with a lot of money to waste on this stuff.

[quote name='highoffcoffee496']IGN just posted an article about it:

"Microsoft has teased more information on its IllumiRoom may be coming this week, causing speculation to grow that the device has been incorporated in the design of the next-generation Xbox."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04...nto-next-xbox?abthid=517e92fb33dc794f7600000a[/QUOTE]

I doubt it will end up working nearly as well as it looks there. I also doubt it would be integrated into a $500 console. It's just hard to believe that they'll be able to have next gen hardware in the Xbox 720, a Kinect in the box, and a projector? I'll believe it when I see it. It'll probably be some add-on you can buy with some crappy mini-games that won't be utilized in any future games.

http://kotaku.com/the-next-gen-xbox-is-getting-a-hell-of-an-exclusive-so-484785241

This is my concern, that MS is gonna use their big wallet to try and snatch up exclusives, not just the timed DLC crap they have done in the past:

We'd also heard from an industry insider that Microsoft was aggressively trying to sign exclusive games for Durango. Given the lack of internal development at Microsoft—their internal studios, while talented, are outnumbered by those of Sony and Nintendo—and given some of the apparent recent stumbles and slowdowns internally, signing an exclusive Respawn-EA game would suit the Durango quite well.

bread's done
Back