Next Xbox May or May Not Require Online/Allow Used Games (Update 4/25/13)

[quote name='Corvin']
Because you are 100% at the mercy of MS's servers which over 8 years haven't been consistently reliable. This puts all the power in MS's corner and you are now just playing their game. This system might as well be OnLive.
[/QUOTE]Why couldn't they have an offline mode like Steam has? If the 3-minute rumor is true, I wonder how saving when your internet connection goes out will work.

Well, this thing was supposed to be revealed in a couple weeks but got delayed to next month.

Also, the MSRP is looking like $500 and $300 for a 1-year subscription to XBox Live.

As for always online, Microsoft apparently specifically states "must be internet connected to use."

And one of the marketing strategies for the $99 360 is apparently to compete with Roku and other such devices.

Source.

If Microsoft actually tries to enforce some manner of "Always On" with the next XBox, they will be digging their own graves. They really ought to look to Sony as an example.

Sony was riding high on hubris near the launch of the PS3. They had done better with the PS2 than any other video game company in history. More units, more games, more everything. They had the mind-share locked up across the globe. Then came the PS3. Look at them now.

The market is fickle. Even fans who claim to be loyal will turn on a company when they simply aren't catered to. Any sort of "Always On" system is going to be rejected for home consoles. The advantage of home consoles is that they are convenient. Nothing is convenient about requiring a hardware platform to be connected to the internet.

More than 50% of current 360s have never been connected to the internet. Microsoft even knows this. They have all the statistics on file. XBox Live is not nearly ubiquitous enough to swing this sort of requirement. And the features they could add with this requirement would not be nearly enough to offset the inconvenience. With one stroke they would be throwing away tens of millions of potential customers.

Microsoft needs to tread carefully with the next XBox. I fear their approach to the hardware is going to be riddled with poor decisions.

No matter what Brian Ashcraft of Kotaku says, there is a curse of the third video game console all the way back to the Atari 7200. Each manufacturer's third console has resulted in major loss of market share or eventually led to the complete collapse of the company.

Atari 7200- last ditch effort to save Atari failed, company sputters around somehow for 20 plus years as a software company, minus two failed hardware releases (Jaguar and Lynx) after being acquired several times before finally going bankrupt last year.

Sega Saturn- Worst launch in the history of games causes third parties and some retailers to abandon Sega and even a great Dreamcast launch can't save them and they have to abandon hardware to become software only to survive.

Nintendo 64- Hubris of Nintendo causes Sony to make their own console and beat Nintendo at their own game. Now faced with a strong competitor to Nintendo, third parties flock to Sony for its cheaper disc-based infrastructure even though the system is harder to develop for. Outside of wrestling games from THQ, the only hit games on the N64 were either first or second party titles and in a world before having two consoles was a common occurence, Nintendo falls to 2nd. That eventually becomes third place after Microsoft's XBox console launches on the strength of Halo, and Nintendo's Gamecube can only counter with Super Smash Brothers. Also the Black Gamecube becomes hard to find for the first year as teenagers/young adults don't want "a purple lunchbox" under their TV.

Playstation 3- $599 US Dollars, "get a 2nd job," crying baby ads, no games, no achievements, etc.

Now Nintendo recovered with their 4th console but their 5th seems to be on a worse trend than the Gamecube. PS3 recovered to equal XBox across the world and take over the lead in Japan and Europe, but in North America, it's a distant rival to 360. Going with the current rumors, that may be about to change.

[quote name='whoknows']Anyone that can afford the new Xbox already has high speed internet, so who cares? MS is right to make fun of and/or ignore the whiners. They can't afford one anyways.

Not unless MS creates a welfare plan for it like they did with the 360 that is.[/QUOTE]

I can say with the utmost certainty that not every 360 owner has internet, either by choice or its not available to them. Even MS own reports made public in their earnings statements say 1/2 of all 360's HAVE NEVER been connected to Live.

It's a big middle finger to the midwest and everyone living in a city that's not Seattle or San Francisco, as lots of media people have been talking about their or co-workers own horrible internet issues in cities like LA, Chicago, and NY, the 3 largest in the US.

[quote name='MSUHitman']I can say with the utmost certainty that not every 360 owner has internet, either by choice or its not available to them. Even MS own reports made public in their earnings statements say 1/2 of all 360's HAVE NEVER been connected to Live.

It's a big middle finger to the midwest and everyone living in a city that's not Seattle or San Francisco, as lots of media people have been talking about their or co-workers own horrible internet issues in cities like LA, Chicago, and NY, the 3 largest in the US.[/QUOTE]

If they're doing this its clearly because they're planning long term with the expectation that high speed internet penetration will increase over the next few years. The only problem is you can have a forward thinking system but you have to make it past the growing pains, you would think this would have been something they learned after the original Xbox...

[quote name='RedvsBlue']If they're doing this its clearly because they're planning long term with the expectation that high speed internet penetration will increase over the next few years. The only problem is you can have a forward thinking system but you have to make it past the growing pains, you would think this would have been something they learned after the original Xbox...[/QUOTE]

To be fair to Microsoft, XBox Live was a good idea, and their forward-thinking approach to it paid off. (requiring broadband connections for the service from day one) They were able to establish a strong multi-player focused service that has served as the backbone for the XBox and the XBox 360.

But as profitable as the market for XBox Live is, it will be another decade before high-speed internet is ubiquitous enough for Live to appeal to the same markets that the Wii and DS managed to tap into. And with the way that consoles are sold, Microsoft can't afford to make Always On a requirement for their next hardware platform. They NEED big sales numbers and widespread developer support. They aren't going to get either of those with this kind of restriction.

[quote name='MSUHitman']I can say with the utmost certainty that not every 360 owner has internet, either by choice or its not available to them. Even MS own reports made public in their earnings statements say 1/2 of all 360's HAVE NEVER been connected to Live.

It's a big middle finger to the midwest and everyone living in a city that's not Seattle or San Francisco, as lots of media people have been talking about their or co-workers own horrible internet issues in cities like LA, Chicago, and NY, the 3 largest in the US.[/QUOTE]

This is the problem, I know tons of people here who play their 360's offline, probably 50% of households in my area don't have wireless Internet access. Almost everyone has a cell phone however, and I know a lot of people who have no Internet at home,but they have a cell phone with data plan and that is the only way they access the Internet. Cell phones are priority now over PC's and everything else.

Huge market here is kids who got 360's and a couple games and a gift but their parents can't afford or simply do not pay for Internet. Kids who move around and don't always have internet. When you are living off of nothing and your kid gets a gift this is what happens. In fact this is a huge market here for games in general, kids who get consoles + 2-3 games as a gift and never get any other games forever since their parents either won't or can't afford to buy them games. I see it all the time firsthand.

MS is going to lose a lot of console sales, or have a lot of angry customers who don't understand what they are buying if they require online for their console to work. It's just not practical. If both Sony and MS go online only then gift giving buyers who need a gift console that doesn't require internet will be buying Nintendo since it will be the only new console choice they have.

[quote name='Richard Kain']To be fair to Microsoft, XBox Live was a good idea, and their forward-thinking approach to it paid off. (requiring broadband connections for the service from day one) They were able to establish a strong multi-player focused service that has served as the backbone for the XBox and the XBox 360.

But as profitable as the market for XBox Live is, it will be another decade before high-speed internet is ubiquitous enough for Live to appeal to the same markets that the Wii and DS managed to tap into. And with the way that consoles are sold, Microsoft can't afford to make Always On a requirement for their next hardware platform. They NEED big sales numbers and widespread developer support. They aren't going to get either of those with this kind of restriction.[/QUOTE]

Definitely, Xbox Live has arguably changed the industry. The problem though is that it cost them a fortune to build the backbone for it with the original Xbox which was more or less a failure for them.

Tomorrow's rumors are going to be really great. If I ran a website that really needed traffic, I guess I would post anything overheard on a forum as "rumor" too.

I hadn't heard of them either but from reading other boards, apparently VGLeaks' PS4 info has been pretty much on target to date. Folks there seem to think this is a fairly legit source -- as far as it goes.

As with before, I'll believe it when I see the actual specs, but it's not going to shock me that it turns out to allow used games/be accessible offline after all.

[quote name='ColFantastic']I'm not familiar with this website. Anyone vouch for its authenticity. I'll wait until this confirmed by other outlets or MS.[/QUOTE]
I think they were first to reveal specs for both consoles. But yeah I think they're at least as "reliable" as anyone else, which isn't saying a whole lot when it comes to rumors.

Other sites all picking up this story now. Certainly will change the dynamics of the conversation if it's true...hopefully it is. Interesting elements according to this rumor/leak/whatever it is:

-The new, $100 Xbox 360 has no disc drive -- is basically a Roku/AppleTV-like device with XBLA functionality. Adds 360 backwards compatability when hooked up to Durango.

-The Durango (the "main model" new Xbox) is "always online" but will play used games and can play local games offline

VGLeaks updated their story to clear it up...we'll see how it shakes down.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='binici']These new "consoles" are nothing more than a fancy DVR with apps, right?[/QUOTE]

Nonono. They are DVRs with apps (though DVRs already have some apps) AND Blu-ray players!

Oh yea, and sometimes they play disc based games.

I think vgleaks is a trustworthy source. I knew about the site since December of last year due to reading digital foundry articles sourcing them. I compared the specs they leaked of the PS4 in late January, and it looks the exact same as Sony's official specs except for the 8gb ram which vgleaks said was 4gb ram. The reason vgleaks said they got the ram wrong was because Sony didn't let any developers know about the change until the final weeks of the PS4 reveal to the public. They also said due to this the launch games will not make use of the full 8gb ddr5 ram since developers had been working with 4gb ddr5 ram devkits and too far into development to change.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Oh shit!

I hope the guy does not have to pay for the rest of his career over this. Yeah he was a douche but man I never thought he would get canned/leave.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/10/42...irector-that-sparked-always-on-controversy-no

Also, if it turns out to be true then MS can suck a bag of dicks. Yeah the guy messed up but you either believe in your product or you don't.[/QUOTE]
I Am not the least bit surprised at him getting fired. I Already counted him out once those tweets reached every major gaming website (and then some). Why the hell would Microsoft keep him after all that? He still represented that company in some capacity and none of those tweets were private and were right out in the open. Of course they would take action.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Oh shit!

I hope the guy does not have to pay for the rest of his career over this. Yeah he was a douche but man I never thought he would get canned/leave.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/10/42...irector-that-sparked-always-on-controversy-no

Also, if it turns out to be true then MS can suck a bag of dicks. Yeah the guy messed up but you either believe in your product or you don't.[/QUOTE]

While this guy is a douche, I don't think he was a huge player at MS... and I doubt his firing/resignation means anything about MS's feelings about an always on console.

[quote name='bardockkun']I Am not the least bit surprised at him getting fired. I Already counted him out once those tweets reached every major gaming website (and then some). Why the hell would Microsoft keep him after all that? He still represented that company in some capacity and none of those tweets were private and were right out in the open. Of course they would take action.[/QUOTE]

I think MS gains less by firing him to be honest. I doubt the people out for blood are really interested in buying the next xbox anyway. Now if the next xbox is "always on" how do you defend firing someone who was supporting your product? Did he maybe mess up the marketing? Maybe but if you are feeding everyone a shit sandwich it won't matter anyway. As of now MS looks like a cold hearted company.

According to Game Informer, Orth resigned, though it’s currently unconfirmed “whether this was a voluntary or forced resignation.”

I do hope this won't ruin his career. People do dumb shit all the time and his was bad but a person lives and learns hopefully.

I may disagree with adam orth but I don't believe he should be fired for comments made on his own private twitter account. I would rather have him express his opinion on what he truly thinks about "always on" instead of dancing around the subject which Microsoft is doing right now.

[quote name='cancerman1120']I think MS gains less by firing him to be honest. I doubt the people out for blood are really interested in buying the next xbox anyway. Now if the next xbox is "always on" how do you defend firing someone who was supporting your product? Did he maybe mess up the marketing? Maybe but if you are feeding everyone a shit sandwich it won't matter anyway. As of now MS looks like a cold hearted company.[/QUOTE]
They fired him because that's what a company does when someone misrepresents a company or puts out information that they won't public. Everybody who works there I'm sure signed agreements in what can and can't be discussed and I think a new console would be top of the list, because it's still in development and things can change. So when he released possible information it didn't help anyone and I'm sure it broke agreements in commenting on rumors or speculation and simply saying "he was trollin" doesn't mean anything.

Microsoft looks like a cold hearted company? Every company is cold hearted! Let's be honest here, but they all have their own rules they got to follow and putting out information when you're not suppose to gets you fired.

[quote name='bardockkun']They fired him because that's what a company does when someone misrepresents a company or puts out information that they won't public. Everybody who works there I'm sure signed agreements in what can and can't be discussed and I think a new console would be top of the list, because it's still in development and things can change. So when he released possible information it didn't help anyone and I'm sure it broke agreements in commenting on rumors or speculation and simply saying "he was trollin" doesn't mean anything.

Microsoft looks like a cold hearted company? Every company is cold hearted! Let's be honest here, but they all have their own rules they got to follow and putting out information when you're not suppose to gets you fired.[/QUOTE]

I am sure they had every right to fire/force resignation. I have signed plenty of NDAs in my career so I will also assume we won't be hearing any follow up from Orth either. I still have things I am not allowed to talk about from a company that no longer exists. I think that NDA is void next year though. :)

And also dear God I hope the Microsoft rumors of it not being always online DRM and allowing used games is true, because Microsoft has nothing else really going for it right now. No exclusive games, nothing really happening on the 360 front this year besides third party titles and just a general lack of any information. Hell, they took the last thing from me that I love (Dance Central DLC) and they're making no effort to get people excited.

[quote name='ShockandAww']http://www.vgleaks.com/microsoft-xbox-roadmap-2013/

Newest rumors from today are that next Xbox will not require online for local play and that it will support used games.

I really hope this is true.[/QUOTE]

OK if this is true than MS is looking pretty good. I was hoping that the super slim ps3 was going to something similar to the drive less 360, and MS seems to have found clever way to address BC for the people willing to pay extra for it.

The kinnect requirement is still off putting though.

LOL

Game Informer reported that Adam Orth, the Microsoft creative director who made controversial "#dealwithit" comments on Twitter about the next Xbox's always on functionality, has left the company. It is uncertain whether he left voluntary or forced resignation....

adam2.jpg

[quote name='Donut2922']Poor Ortho

#dealwithit

too soon?[/QUOTE]

Nope. The guy was an unprofessional asshat and deserved what he got.

Glad to hear the latest rumor, but I'm still skeptical for now. MS has done so much to tarnish the way I felt about them from the launch of the Xbox 1 up until about 2 years ago that I'll believe good news when I see it confirmed.

But if the "mini" info is accurate, that may be what pushes me over the edge. From day 1 my big want was full backwards compatibility...so if that's at least an option, it's a good news. Sucks that you have to buy something separate, but as long as it is kept around the 70-100 dollar mark, I'll probably be OK with it

So basically... now there are new rumors that contradict the original rumors?

I think I'm done with the rumors about this system. It sounds like MS hasn't finalized these details yet, or they're reconsidering them (though I doubt that).

[quote name='KaneRobot']Glad to hear the latest rumor, but I'm still skeptical for now. MS has done so much to tarnish the way I felt about them from the launch of the Xbox 1 up until about 2 years ago that I'll believe good news when I see it confirmed.

But if the "mini" info is accurate, that may be what pushes me over the edge. From day 1 my big want was full backwards compatibility...so if that's at least an option, it's a good news. Sucks that you have to buy something separate, but as long as it is kept around the 70-100 dollar mark, I'll probably be OK with it[/QUOTE]

Huh? You like a $600 price tag? Please tell me you never bitched about the PS3 release then. That was/is a ridiculous price and I never adopted until Slim $300 model myself.

$500 Durango (2-year subscription model probably more expensive in the long run, OR this could be the model with online required) + $100 Stingray = $600. Sure you could sell your old 360, but you could do that anyway for any new console gen to offset the price.

I don't call that backwards compatibility and I won't accept it just because there are a few "good rumors" surfacing in a pool of feces. Didn't accept it for PS3 last gen, not going to accept it next gen.

[quote name='sp00ge']Nope. The guy was an unprofessional asshat and deserved what he got.[/QUOTE]

My first thought on hearing he was fired was, that's too bad he's got a family to support. Then I realized there's probably a 100+ guys qualified for his job that have families to support who would conduct themselves more professionally than he did (not to mention some of the anecdotes on Reddit of people who claimed to work with him, sheesh...).

[quote name='Kazaganthi']Huh? You like a $600 price tag? Please tell me you never bitched about the PS3 release then. That was/is a ridiculous price and I never adopted until Slim $300 model myself.[/quote]
If it's 600 dollars between the two, I won't fucking buy it. Link me to the announcement that the XBox is going to be 500 dollars.

Highly unlikely I'll be buying anything at launch regardless of price. I want the hardware to be proven stable first. Plenty of other stuff to keep me busy in the meantime.

Sure you could sell your old 360, but you could do that anyway for any new console gen to offset the price.
Yeah. I'm aware I could do that. And probably will. Thanks(?)

I don't call that backwards compatibility
You can call it a vacuum cleaner for all I care. That's what it is. It's not the most ideal solution that we'd have in a gaming utopia, but as long as the option is there, I'm satisfied. I'll take that external add-on solution a hundred times before I opt for a OnLive/Gaikai style solution like we will supposedly get with the Playstation. If you "won't accept it," well, hooray for you.

and I won't accept it just because there are a few "good rumors" surfacing in a pool of feces.

Your "pool of feces" doesn't exist. Nothing has been announced - and the "good rumors" are just that. Rumors.

[quote name='Vinny']So basically... now there are new rumors that contradict the original rumors?

I think I'm done with the rumors about this system. It sounds like MS hasn't finalized these details yet, or they're reconsidering them (though I doubt that).[/QUOTE]
I think everyone knew it was coming because really.....not allowing used games would send Microsoft down the drain.

Honestly they could make this console on the cheap considering how far the 360 got them. It's a pretty impressive machine despite its reliability issues.

[quote name='sp00ge']Nope. The guy was an unprofessional asshat and deserved what he got.[/QUOTE]
I would hire him. The guy has big brass balls.

[quote name='Spokker']I would hire him. The guy has big brass balls.[/QUOTE]

Balls, maybe, but he lacked the ability to consider the consequences of his actions, or he just didn't care.

People like that are toxic to a company.

[quote name='sp00ge']Balls, maybe, but he lacked the ability to consider the consequences of his actions, or he just didn't care.

People like that are toxic to a company.[/QUOTE]
I doubt there would have been any consequences. Microsoft's bottom line would not have been affected by one employee arguing his position on Twitter. If there were any effect, it would be overshadowed by the company actually releasing an always-online console, if they do. Even then, I doubt sales would be affected much.

The best way to counter people like that is to vote with your wallet, something that video game players have consistently shown they are not able to do.

In any case, I find it unnerving how free speech has become so intertwined with employment. The first amendment only covers government overstepping its boundaries, but if we are so hyped about employment regulations and worker protections, I would like to see some protections for opinions expressed at the very least outside of work. California has at least tried by making political speech protected, but I'm not sure how those protections work in practice.

The single biggest reason I support a basic income/minimum income tax as Milton Friedman argued for it is that it would be the single most liberating thing when it comes to freedom of speech. No longer would you have to worry about putting food on the table because you said something unpopular. You would start seeing people become more honest under their real names.

This guy wasn't even fired for saying something incredibly racist or something like that, but for arguing about video games on Twitter. This is really getting out of control.

bread's done
Back