NFL Blitz, 1200 msp, January 3rd

yahoosale14

CAGiversary!
I miss NFL Blitz so much, I remember reading about this reboot in Game Informer...no late hits, though? Ugh. Hopefully the other features make up for it.

mother-of-god-meme.jpg

No late hits? Seriously? I'm guessing this was a decision by the NFL? I know they are trying to make the league "safer" and all that crap, but it's Blitz for cryin' out loud.

This came out today. Anyone get this or plan to? Im getting the demo now. Im probably going to bite and buy it as long as I like the demo. $15 is a bit steep but im fiending to play me some Blitz....sadface at taking out late hits though.

This will not be nearly as fun/popular as the first NFL blitz...how do you tone down a game wherein the whole point of the game is to be as over the top as possible.

Anyone play this yet? I hear that all QBs are right-handed so that alone leads me to think they are just trying to cash in, especially when two of the most polarizing QBs (Vick and Tebow) are left-handed.

I have a hard time getting on board with oversights like that. I also saw that Henne was the Dolphins QB and again, that's just inexcusable.

[quote name='perdition(troy']This will not be nearly as fun/popular as the first NFL blitz...how do you tone down a game wherein the whole point of the game is to be as over the top as possible.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I am still intrigued by this, but I am also weary it will not be the same type of fun we all had with Blitz back in the day.

[quote name='ZForce915']i can't figure out how to turn on icon passing[/QUOTE]

me neither. The game says its in the options menu but its not

anyone else find it?

[quote name='chriscolbert']Anyone play this yet? I hear that all QBs are right-handed so that alone leads me to think they are just trying to cash in, especially when two of the most polarizing QBs (Vick and Tebow) are left-handed.

I have a hard time getting on board with oversights like that. I also saw that Henne was the Dolphins QB and again, that's just inexcusable.[/QUOTE]

Unless EA's contract is up I'm assuming it's all outdated rosters so Tebow probably isn't even in the game. Which doesn't really matter considering he's an awful quarterback in the first place.

[quote name='Nealocus123']Unless EA's contract is up I'm assuming it's all outdated rosters so Tebow probably isn't even in the game. Which doesn't really matter considering he's an awful quarterback in the first place.[/QUOTE]

Tebow could be a beast in a game like Blitz. I could see them making him a stud.

I played the demo and thought it was fun, a little slower than the old Blitz games (which were fun but I think people tend to overrate them based on nostalgia). Anyway, decided to pick it up, the game modes look like a blast.

I bought it. Its a litte plain but im having fun with it. Lost my first online game pretty bad. Second one the guy got disconnected so I won. I Just had a crazy game right now...I came back down from 2 touchdowns to make it 35-34 with two seconds left...had to go for the win and I got the two point conversion.

Also I went into the options and you can turn on icon passing(not sure if its in the demo) Go to help and options then click on settings and its there.

My main problem with the demo is that, like Shotgunshine said, it just seems so plain. Maybe I had my nostalgia goggles on a little too tight when thinking about the old NFL Blitz, but it doesn't seem nearly as fun as I remember. Maybe the extra game modes make up for it, but I can't see myself spending 15 bucks on it.

[quote name='shotgunshine']I bought it. Its a litte plain but im having fun with it. Lost my first online game pretty bad. Second one the guy got disconnected so I won. I Just had a crazy game right now...I came back down from 2 touchdowns to make it 35-34 with two seconds left...had to go for the win and I got the two point conversion.

Also I went into the options and you can turn on icon passing(not sure if its in the demo) Go to help and options then click on settings and its there.[/QUOTE]

So you're saying the guy got disconnected and you got the win? I've been hearing that quitters weren't being punished in any way which was pissing a lot of people off. Does it view a "quit" and a "disconnect" differently?

After the total cash grab of Tecmo Bowl, I can't really get behind these type of games anymore. Especially with the problems already mentioned in the thread.

[quote name='DestroVega']After the total cash grab of Tecmo Bowl, I can't really get behind these type of games anymore. Especially with the problems already mentioned in the thread.[/QUOTE]

This compares to Tecmo in that they are football games, other than that I don't know how you can compare them.

[quote name='chriscolbert']So you're saying the guy got disconnected and you got the win? I've been hearing that quitters weren't being punished in any way which was pissing a lot of people off. Does it view a "quit" and a "disconnect" differently?[/QUOTE]

Not sure...he definitely didn't quit though because he was beating me easily so something must have happened on his end. They better count a loss for quitters...I really hate games that dont have that.

[quote name='ZForce915']This compares to Tecmo in that they are football games, other than that I don't know how you can compare them.[/QUOTE]

People have said there is no penalty for disconnects. It killed Tecmo online.

I played the demo a lot last night, and this is pretty awesome. I played Blitz 2001 all the time on the PlayStation, and they did a good job keeping the spirit of those old Blitz games. The demo lets you play as the best teams, and 2 two minute quarters is plenty of time to play since the clock always stops once a play is over, so I doubt I'll buy it for $15, but this is definitely something I'll keep on my hard drive to mess around with.

I would say if your on the fence about getting this, to go ahead and buy it. When I first tried the demo I was ehh about it...then got used to the controls and played a bit more and decided to get it. I've had some great fun playing this online. I've played about 13 matches online and all but one were lag free. Yes, the no late hits sucks, but it shouldn't be a deal breaker. Just make sure to turn on icon passing.

[quote name='shotgunshine']I would say if your on the fence about getting this, to go ahead and buy it. When I first tried the demo I was ehh about it...then got used to the controls and played a bit more and decided to get it. I've had some great fun playing this online. I've played about 13 matches online and all but one were lag free. Yes, the no late hits sucks, but it shouldn't be a deal breaker. Just make sure to turn on icon passing.[/QUOTE]

If you don't mind me asking, what are the different types of single player modes?...Heard something about this ladder ..something..or other

Still on the fence about picking this up

I haven't even touched single player except just a regular game to get familiar with the controls. Next time im on, i'll check it out.

If anyone gets this and wants to play a game then feel free to add me...gamertag is shotgunshine

The more I think about the game, especially when I see that there's a new post in this thread here, the more I want it. 15 just seems steep for how bland it seemed to me, granted I wasn't playing with icon passing.

I added you budz. We'll have to get some games going.

10-12 overall...12-12 if you count the elite league games. At least half of those losses were decided by 3 or less points...very heartbreaking to keep losing like that...at least last game I came back and won 35-34.

[quote name='perdition(troy']This will not be nearly as fun/popular as the first NFL blitz...how do you tone down a game wherein the whole point of the game is to be as over the top as possible.[/QUOTE]

I've made comments in various places, but after parents/ESPN complained about NFL Blitz 2003 (the last crazy Blitz game w/NFL license) plus Roger Goddell making player safety/behavior the cornerstones for his legacy, NFL Blitz had this stuff stripped out.

According to Jeff Gertsman on Giant Bomb, late hits were in the game up until the final version sent to NFL for approval, but then they said it had to go and you get the awkward silence, etc. post-play.

It just isn't the same without the late hits. I remember having a blast trying to chase down and clothesline another player after the play was over. Or seeing how many times you can elbow drop the ballcarrier before the play menu comes up. Even in this game once the play is over the ballcarrier looks like he's looking around to see who's gonna knock him out. So the game's definitely made for late hits... but it's just not included

I read something that late hits were in the game and they sent it to the NFL for approval and they said to take it out...thats why it looks so awkward after a play ends.

I just had my first person quit on me. It doesn't give you the win points for the blitz bucks but it did count as a win for me.

[quote name='MSUHitman']According to Jeff Gertsman on Giant Bomb, late hits were in the game up until the final version sent to NFL for approval, but then they said it had to go and you get the awkward silence, etc. post-play.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='shotgunshine']I read something that late hits were in the game and they sent it to the NFL for approval and they said to take it out...thats why it looks so awkward after a play ends.[/QUOTE]

Did you read it from the dude who said it 2 posts above yours? ;)

LOL, good call. I would probably still get this game if I knew more about the Blitz challenge ladder, from the on screen picture... It looks like you can face a team from Mortal Kombat? Also, I randomly entered a code earlier while playing, and whoever I controlled looked like a pirate with a peg leg, instead of an NFL player

Basically you play 2-3 NFL teams and then play a boss team (A team made of Cowboys, Pirates, etc). When you beat those teams you get codes to use those players and or teams.

If you're willing to play online, the Elite League is pretty good too, sort of like Madden Ultimate Team.

[quote name='Nealocus123']Unless EA's contract is up I'm assuming it's all outdated rosters so Tebow probably isn't even in the game. Which doesn't really matter considering he's an awful quarterback in the first place.[/QUOTE]

Ehem...care to edit this post? TEEEEBOW!

Matter of fact, that's exactly what Elite League looked like to me, and anyways I hate Madden... and EA for that matter. I miss NFL 2K, I even bought the football game they put out that had no NFL teams: All Pro Football 2K8

The game is still a blast to play, the removal of late hits is vastly overblown. They were fun, but it certainly wasn't the only thing that made Blitz a fun, unique experience. It is still a blast to play with friends, the AI is even enjoyable and there is a ton to do/unlock.

I just played a game online too and it was flawless. No lag whatsoever.

[quote name='berzirk']Ehem...care to edit this post? TEEEEBOW![/QUOTE]

Tebow did not win yesterday's game, Denver did. He did make that throw but don't make it out that he did something spectacular, Thomas and the Pittsburgh secondary turned a 15 yard gain into a game winning 80 yard touchdown. Tebow is still a below average quarterback.

Back on topic, I tried the demo out the other night, and it just didn't feel the same. Couldn't get into the game and it doesn't look like I'll be purchasing this one.

[quote name='azngtlman']Tebow did not win yesterday's game, Denver did. He did make that throw but don't make it out that he did something spectacular, Thomas and the Pittsburgh secondary turned a 15 yard gain into a game winning 80 yard touchdown. Tebow is still a below average quarterback.[/QUOTE]

Obviously one player never wins or loses the game, but he did put up incredible numbers, and was the one responsible for throwing the game winning touchdown. Critics are so quick to point to any team failures as due to Tebow, and any success in spite of the guy. He's not a prototype QB, but for a first year starter, his W/L record is better than a bunch of guys that have come before him. I love to see him do well, first as a Broncos fan, and second as a fan of people who shut up critics.

He threw for the 3rd most yards last weekend, didn't turn it over, and ran for more yards than some team's starting RB. Haters gon hate. He had an amazing game. Put your bias aside and at least admit that.

[quote name='moojuice']Ugh, wtf, I paid $15, and there's ADS in this game!?!?[/QUOTE]
I saw that in the demo, lol. flo from progressive all in up yo ass

Log on to Xbox Live tonight at 9pm PT for a chance to play athletes and celebrities in attendance at the 2012 NFL Players Association Pulse Awards in a game of #NFLBlitz! Be on the lookout for the NFLPlayer1 and NFLPlayer2 gamertags!

This is in the Play Now mode.

bread's done
Back