NHL 2012-2013 Season- Let's do this. Games start January 19

Thats why I discredited that fool that said "There is no code for fighting." I think My self and everybody that knows hockey well enough said to their tv or them selves, WTF are you talking about?

How ever, you forgot to post this up Myke....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT4X8kkuVYs&feature=player_embedded

Vinny fighting is just unknown, but I also don't think two wrongs make a right with his late cheap shots either. I mean, sure you gotta fight sometimes but honor the code. Viny not doing that really upsets me honestly.

Wow...the Preds offense showed up tonight for basically the first time all season. 6-1 trouncing of St. Louis. That's what I like to see. Nashville has won 3 straight and went 4-2-1 on their 7 game road trip. That was 1/3 of their road schedule in one swoop, haha. It will be nice to finally have them back home on Thursday. Go Preds! :)

Talbot's not much of a fighter either. My issue with the Lecavalier fight is that it's very clear he's intentionally breaking the "code," where there's little to no evidence that Rinaldo did so intentionally.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Wow...the Preds offense showed up tonight for basically the first time all season. 6-1 trouncing of St. Louis. That's what I like to see. Nashville has won 3 straight and went 4-2-1 on their 7 game road trip. That was 1/3 of their road schedule in one swoop, haha. It will be nice to finally have them back home on Thursday. Go Preds! :)[/QUOTE]

I'm so glad I didn't watch that game. I was just hearing about it at work and in the one office they had it on the radio. Now I know how Detroit fans felt on the 19th. A coworker of mine and I started high fiving each other because it wasn't a shutout.

Will be watching the Pens/Caps game tonight. Watched their game on the weekend and Pittsburgh was dominant after Washington scored their flukey 2nd goal. Looking at the standings it's pretty representative of how those teams looked. What stood out was how different the teams looked in the offensive zone. Pens had a clear vision where the Caps kind of went with the flow which went nowhere.

Anyone else noticing that prices on Stubhub are higher this year than they were last year? For the same sections that I was paying 20 or 30 bucks for depending on the game are now going for 50 to 100 bucks.

How else are they gonna pad themselves with the halve the season they killed... ?

You didn't think they wouldn't "quietly" try to dick fans did you... ?

Wow, that Hall high sticking penalty was complete shit. I'm almost ready to stop watching cause of the refs. I guess they need the sptlight on them this year. St. louis tripping another Bs call. To add on an unsportsman like bench penalty. If I was Boucher, I'd be furious as well with the Hall penalty.

Just to sum up, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmXWZFPvCAU

Preds up 3-0 on the Kings at the end of 2. Looking for their 4th win in a row. Trying to not get ahead of myself, but they're actually starting to resemble a professional hockey team again! Woohoo! :)

Sucks that Erik Karlsson got his achilles sliced by Matt Cooke. And yes, it was intentional, even though the league doesn't think so.

I have Karlsson on my fantasy team, so that's a huge loss for me, also.

Being a Pens fan but not at all at being a Matt Cooke fan and knowing his full history I still dont think it was intentional. If you look at the play his head was looking the opposite way and his skate blade just came down and got caught inside the back of Karlsson's skate. I also find the Senators are at fault because they are one of the few teams that dont make their player wear the Kevlar lined undersocks that would help protect against this type of injury. Being a defenseman and skate fighting for a lot of loose pucks along the boards while sticks are tied up on the glass it should be common sense to wear these things.

So did Chris Neil knock a couple of his teeth out, or was he just bleeding from the mouth? He's got a cement fist, if he did that with his glove on.

[quote name='ajh2298']Being a Pens fan but not at all at being a Matt Cooke fan and knowing his full history I still dont think it was intentional. If you look at the play his head was looking the opposite way and his skate blade just came down and got caught inside the back of Karlsson's skate. I also find the Senators are at fault because they are one of the few teams that dont make their player wear the Kevlar lined undersocks that would help protect against this type of injury. Being a defenseman and skate fighting for a lot of loose pucks along the boards while sticks are tied up on the glass it should be common sense to wear these things.[/QUOTE]

Ok, first thing, Cooke is a huge douche. Amazing that the NHL has kept him around.

2008-2009 - two suspensions. two games per, for checking to the head.

2010 - Dirty hit to Savard causing a concussion but not games (complete shit)

2011 - Four game suspension for a hit from behind.

Second thing....Not every NHL player is wearing kevlar socks cause it's added weight( to them) and well, you get use to something while skating with it on you never change it. Teams and the league also don't mandate you wear them.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Ok, first thing, Cooke is a huge douche. Amazing that the NHL has kept him around..[/QUOTE]
Maybe Mario Lemieux should threaten to quit the NHL again if Mario Lemieux keeps Matt Cooke in the league? Oops.

[quote name='dafoomie']Maybe Mario Lemieux should threaten to quit the NHL again if Mario Lemieux keeps Matt Cooke in the league? Oops.[/QUOTE]

Just saying, three strikes and youre out should be implemented. Just like water polo. Oops.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Ok, first thing, Cooke is a huge douche. Amazing that the NHL has kept him around.[/QUOTE]

Cooke is really a pretty good guy off the ice. Being a season ticket holder I have gotten to meet him 3-4 times at team events since he has been on the team. I also, and this is the gods honest truth, saw him at a local Target outside the restroom waiting on his wife and kids and he was holding her purse and I thought that was pretty funny. I knew who he was but didnt want to bother him since he was with his family but once he saw my sons Penguins hat he asked if my son played hockey and we started talking about equipment and other hockey related things.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Teams and the league also don't mandate you wear them.[/QUOTE]

Well I know ever since the PK Subban incident with Jordan Stall a few years back in the playoffs all Penguin players are required to wear them.

Even then, that's the Pens. Like I said, some players will refuse to wear them as it's not mandated. Hell, I bet some pen players don't even wear em. I know for my self, I refuse to wear shoulder pads because I just don't like em and can't get use to them. Of course, he might be a great guy off the ice, doesn't dismiss the fact that he is a douche on the ice ( or was, whatever.) I know a few that get onto the ice and can't tone it down and become dicks. However, off the ice, they are some of the nicest people I know.

Ndamukong Suh made the largest charitable donation of any athlete in the US last year but he's still one of the dirtiest players in the NFL.

Hoping the Wings can steal one from Anaheim. Detroit offense is taking a beating in the injury department and Datsyuk is missing tonight. Bracing myself.

Update: No. Mainly turnovers that killed us. 3rd period was mostly Ducks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crazy that the season is 1/4 of the way finished and I feel like the Preds just need to hold on the rest of the way. They've currently got the #4 seed, and catching a world beater Chicago team seems unlikely. So, this is probably as good as we're going to do, lol. Just gotta keep it up! Though, truth be told, I'll be happy if they can hold off St. Louis and Detroit. That Central division is tough, man!

Last year during play offs I said that St. Louis needed to play Jake Allen in a few games and maybe not on here, but people said I was wrong. I know it is just two games, but still he looks like he could be a good goaltender. Hell just look at this save:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1yTWFUPbCM

Again I know that is just one of his saves and he has only played two full games, but still he looks to have potential.

His technique needs a little work but with more time in the AHL he could be something. Just needs to refine his game a little more to take it to the next level.

you're out of your mind if you think cooke did that on purpose, tons of hockey people have said so. the only people whining about it about the Senators themselves

[quote name='dafoomie']His technique needs a little work but with more time in the AHL he could be something. Just needs to refine his game a little more to take it to the next level.[/QUOTE]

Can't disagree on that, but I think playing the games in the NHL that he has played are a help. Also I think working with Ken Hitchcock and the other training staff will help him. If anything he will be better in the AHL. I still think it is a good idea to play him from time to time just in case he is needed for the playoffs if St. Louis makes it.

My birthday wish is for the Red Wings to win tonight. And really I'm somewhat agitated by the fact that the Preds defeated us in the first round last year.

[quote name='Nifty_Shark']My birthday wish is for the Red Wings to win tonight. And really I'm somewhat agitated by the fact that the Preds defeated us in the first round last year.[/QUOTE]

And I hope your birthday sucks.

:lol: Not really...but you don't deserve a free win. So, booooo!!!

[quote name='Nifty_Shark']Only saw the highlights. Looked like Rinne stole the show. Lovely goal by Datsyuk though. Somehow got through a square of defending players.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COuJmG2M5hk[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I don't know how no one puts a body on him on that play. It looked like everybody thought the other guy was going to do it. That might as well have been an NHL 12/13 goal. Watching that play makes me want to yell "God dammit, AI!"

Also, if you don't want the formatting of your post to be screwed up change your "https" to "http" in your youtube link.

EDIT - Looking at that play a little closer, Datsyuk did a great job picking his "targets". Part of the problem is the Preds were shifted on that play, with a defenseman (Jonathan Blum...who looks like an idiot trying to get back into the play, lol) pinching in. When Datsyuk takes off, he's basically got the first two guys beat on pure speed alone.

Then, he goes after Erat and Legwand...two guys that I would argue are the few "finesse" players the Preds have. Klein is on the other side, but by the time he comes over to help, the puck is already in the net. Definitely a very skilled and more importantly, smart play on Datsyuk's part. At least Weber stayed hot though and got the last laugh. He's got 6 points in his last 4 games...after having only 1 in the first 13. That bastard was killing my fantasy team, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everybody in the Central is angering me. The inability to hold a lead has cost the Wings a few times in recent games (including Columbus). For our Nashville fan: How have the Preds done after losing a game? Do they typically bounce back with a win?

I'm pissed about that Hall suspension. I realize that the hit was late, but he's a young guy, never been suspended. Meanwhile, Hansen delivers a blow to the head of Hossa and only gets 1 game.

[quote name='shieryda']I'm pissed about that Hall suspension. I realize that the hit was late, but he's a young guy, never been suspended. Meanwhile, Hansen delivers a blow to the head of Hossa and only gets 1 game.[/QUOTE]

I try to be upset about all suspensions - even the ones that seem sensible. I think that it's easy to look at the incidents where people are penalized too harshly or too leniently and say there are problems with the system, but even the ones that they "get right" (so to speak) are just as likely to be coincidence as anything else.

i.e., just because the NHL got the suspension right doesn't make their system sensible at all. Raffi Torres should still be suspended.

2 games for a knee that caused injury (the Wild say it's a thigh contusion) is fine with me. That was rather reckless. I'm guessing that his clean record did have something to do with not getting more games.

Watched the hit or collision a few times on the NHL network and the more I watch it, it looks like Hall was trying to shift his weight on an edge instead of going for the hit and just sorta misstimed it. First suspension for him anyways with no priors. I wish he actually did make a clean hit on Clutterbuck as im not a fan of him at all.

[quote name='Nifty_Shark']Everybody in the Central is angering me. The inability to hold a lead has cost the Wings a few times in recent games (including Columbus). For our Nashville fan: How have the Preds done after losing a game? Do they typically bounce back with a win?[/QUOTE]

Ehh...they've been fairly inconsistent. It seems like it's feast or famine with them. Their scoring has been incredibly streaky. Sometimes, it feels like 2 goals is asking a lot. So, Rinne basically has to be perfect if they want to win the game without going to OT. The Preds have had a ridiculous number of OT games already this season (I think it's something like 10). Their overall record is only 8-5-5. It's hard to really know how to view that. On the positive side, they've gotten points in 13 out of 18 games. But on the negative side...they've still lost more games than they've won. They haven't had back to back regulation losses yet this season, which is a good thing, I guess. Though, I could see that ending tonight as they have to go into Detroit.

[quote name='Nifty_Shark']2 games for a knee that caused injury (the Wild say it's a thigh contusion) is fine with me. That was rather reckless. I'm guessing that his clean record did have something to do with not getting more games.[/QUOTE]

It's not the individual review or suspension - the NHL occasionally gets it right, but we must not take that as evidence that they're doing the right thing overall. Broken clocks and all that

[quote name='Nifty_Shark']Everybody in the Central is angering me. The inability to hold a lead has cost the Wings a few times in recent games (including Columbus). For our Nashville fan: How have the Preds done after losing a game? Do they typically bounce back with a win?[/QUOTE]

From what I keep hearing the Central is the toughest division. After watching the Blues and Blue Jackets game I'm not sure how much more I can watch when it comes to the officiating. I don't know what it is but this season is really bad when it comes to the calls. Hell some of them have been ones that have cost the game or came close. Not sure if I want to watch more of the season. If it continues I really don't know if I will be back for next season.

[quote name='mykevermin']It's not the individual review or suspension - the NHL occasionally gets it right, but we must not take that as evidence that they're doing the right thing overall. Broken clocks and all that[/QUOTE]
I see what you're saying. At least they are more clear about how they go through the process of creating the suspension. What do you mean by "right thing overall"? Like that there is disagreement on how much a hit to the head should be vs knee and such? Wouldn't it be hard to make extremely specific guidelines because there are more factors concerning an illegal hit other than what's put on the box score penalties area?

bread's done
Back