NHL 2012-2013 Season- Let's do this. Games start January 19

[quote name='mitch079']I read the app is now available on the 360. Don't know if it has the same issues as the PS3 not being updated but since it's brand new, you'd think not.[/QUOTE]

I read that today. Basically a huge slap in the face. I see no reason for there to be a delay for the Roku or PS3 apps...

[quote name='shieryda']Cup winner? I'll take Pittsburgh this year.[/QUOTE]
Blues but of course I'll be praying the Hawks get back there.

[quote name='Prepster']Blues but of course I'll be praying the Hawks get back there.[/QUOTE]

I truly hope that Crawford plays his anus off this season. Toews has the flu, so not sure if he'll play against the champs tomorrow.

Nope, for the same reason Philly won't win it this year. Bryzgalov being a flake in the goal is pretty well documented, but Fleury is a head case, too. When he's good, he's good - but he can get psyched out far more easily than people give him credit for. Pens and Flyers are very similar teams - their offense is so good that it offsets the fact that their D is weak and goaltending fluctuates from great to awful, with little in between.

I have to say it'll be the Rangers winning this year, as much as I loathe Tortorella as being the most ungrateful, bitchiest, New Yawk-iest, whiner of a coach I've ever seen. Also, Rick Nash is another case of something I despise - a player who whines their way off a team and onto a championship team (you saw that with Jeff Carter last year). That drives me nuts (though I think that the Blue Jackets actually got the better end of the trade, to be honest).

Clearly I'm the cantankerous grouchy old man here, but I can't fathom rooting for a team whose owner was clearly among the shitheads in the lockout. I couldn't stomach rooting for the Capitals, Bruins, Predators, etc. knowing the evidence that those teams owners were the minority who kept the lockout going. And the Blackhawks' owner in an interview today flippantly disregarded any notion that he should apologize, saying “Labor is labor, and that’s just the way it is. It might be very distasteful for the fans, but, unfortunately, when you have unions involved, that’s the process you have to go through.”

Now, considering all of what we know about the lockout, that's a really shitty, ballsy thing to try to do - blame the players for the continuance of the lockout. fuck him, and fuck the Hawks.

I've always had a hard time getting to watch my games without going to the bar or watching a shit stream. Even for $50 I'm sold, especially with 360 access. Glad I lurk in this thread or I would've never seen this.

I have to agree, Rangers. I actually would've said... *gasp philly too, but yeah... Goaltending... Lol. Cbj will be last followed by the flames.

[quote name='KingBroly']Capitals have locked it up people. End the season before it begins.[/QUOTE]

A bit early to shoot urself in the foot...

Edit: lol
burnsnewbeard.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
lol at Brent Burns. The 360 app is having trouble connecting. Fortunately, I can still stream through my PC and watch it on the tv since my PC is hooked up to my television and surround sound system.

Ahahaha! It took the Preds 39 seconds to score on Bobrovsky. Loving that start!

Annnnd they lose 3-2 in a shootout. Gotta avoid stupid penalties. Even Weber's fight was unnecessary. Took him off the ice for 7 minutes and totally shifted the momentum. Rinne's a great goalie, but they can't expect him to stop everything. Oh well. Got one point at least...and it's just really nice to have NHL hockey back!

Like the guy that keeps banging his ex-wife, but at the sametime completely hates her guts... This is how i feel about Hockey... :sigh:

Anyone else surprised at how Detroit played? I'm glad St. Louis won, but I never saw it being a 6-0 game unless it was the other way around. I never expected St. Louis to win. I would have thought the game would have ended 3-1 Detroit.

[quote name='sendme']Anyone else surprised at how Detroit played? I'm glad St. Louis won, but I never saw it being a 6-0 game unless it was the other way around. I never expected St. Louis to win. I would have thought the game would have ended 3-1 Detroit.[/QUOTE]

St. Louis and Detroit are moving in opposite directions. A lot of people are very high on the Blues this year. They won the Central last year and have a lot of very good young players and a hell of a tandem in net. Maybe winning by that much wouldn't be expected. But I think a lot of people would consider St. Louis the better team at this point. The Central is going to be tough this year.

I see Rangers since Torts will push the hell out of the Rangers for those games. I wanna say Lightning, but with a shortened season, Torts will really push the Rangers up and beyond.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']it's just really nice to have NHL hockey back![/QUOTE]

Agreed. If things get too bad, there's always the compliance buyout at the end of the season. Bryz is either staring down a stellar season or a buyout, so either way I'll be satisfied when it comes to that.

[quote name='sendme']Anyone else surprised at how Detroit played? I'm glad St. Louis won, but I never saw it being a 6-0 game unless it was the other way around. I never expected St. Louis to win. I would have thought the game would have ended 3-1 Detroit.[/QUOTE]

The absence of Lidstrom becomes apparent first game into the season. It's gonna be a loooooooooong 48 games...

That's true about Lindstrom, but they knew he was retiring. I'm sure they will make up for not having him later in the season. I'm also surprised with the Kings loss. I didn't expect them to have that big of a gap. I would have thought it would have been a closer game than the 5-2 it was. I stopped watching when I became sick of hearing the announcers blame the score on emotions. Trying to say that it was such and emotional deal that the banner was raised and they got their rings. They knew it was all going to happen so they should have got their heads in the game once it was over. I didn't get a chance to see any other games.

6-0 is embarrassing but let's wait like 5 games before we make some quick judgments. This team is very different from last year so lots of unfamiliarity with how the guys play will be a struggle in these early games. One thing that bothers me so far is that Quincy still looks like a bad defenseman. He hasn't been good since coming back to Detroit.

Right. Blues were tops in the West last year - Kings were murdered last night, but Quick can still show his potential. One game means nothing in terms of trends.

That said, of course I'm a Flyers fan who has already written off Bryz for the season because he's given up 3 goals across 5 periods and 40-some-odd shots. :lol:

[quote name='mykevermin']Right. Blues were tops in the West last year - Kings were murdered last night, but Quick can still show his potential. One game means nothing in terms of trends.

That said, of course I'm a Flyers fan who has already written off Bryz for the season because he's given up 3 goals across 5 periods and 40-some-odd shots. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Teammates not doing Bryz any favors today. Lots of penalties.

For sure. Puck control looking far better today than yesterday, though.

The goaltender interference call that resulted in a goal being taken away from Philly was utter fucking garbage call. Makes me wonder what kind of review/accountability system the NHL has for its officials.

Also curious what the unsportsmanlike call on Ott (?) at the end of P2 was. Players do nothing *but* talk shit for the entire game - how bad must it get to actually get a call by an official?

[quote name='mykevermin']For sure. Puck control looking far better today than yesterday, though.

The goaltender interference call that resulted in a goal being taken away from Philly was utter fucking garbage call. Makes me wonder what kind of review/accountability system the NHL has for its officials.

Also curious what the unsportsmanlike call on Ott (?) at the end of P2 was. Players do nothing *but* talk shit for the entire game - how bad must it get to actually get a call by an official?[/QUOTE]

It was a bit ticky tack, but from the overhead replay it looked like the Flyers player knocked Miller backward, which you could argue would affect his lateral movement and his ability to make the save. He probably wouldn't have made it anyway, but that's just crappy timing for Philly. Still...can't expect to win when you're giving your opponent so many power plays.

The unsportsmanlike call was for taking a dive. Ott was channeling his best Manu Ginobili, lol.

I'm not one to say the refs are against one team or another... but todays ref crew for the Fyers game was bad. And most of the egregious calls went against the flyers. That interference call was silly. The flyer wasn't in the crease, was skating across the front of the goal, and the goaly skated into him.

So that's one score called off.

Then the Flyers just scored in a 6 on 5 advanage. But the Ref blew the wistle and stated the goal puck was trapped when it was actually crossing the red line. All because the ref was out of position.

That's two scores called off.

As for the unsportsmanship, they called Ott for flopping.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']I'm not one to say the refs are against one team or another... but todays ref crew for the Fyers game was bad. And most of the egregious calls went against the flyers. That interference call was silly. The flyer wasn't in the crease, was skating across the front of the goal, and the goaly skated into him.[/QUOTE]

That's one way of interpreting it. The other is that Miller was still in the crease when contact was made. The rule states that the goaltender has to be afforded the opportunity to make the save. If you don't like the call, don't rush the crease and run into the goalie. Cody Hodgson managed to do it on Vanek's rebound and he was coming in a lot harder. They can make excuses, but Buffalo outplayed Philly in this one.

Two disallowed goals by the officials - you're out of your fucking mind if you think that interference call was even remotely close to a plausible call, let alone a good call. The second disallowed goal was a poor stoppage of play by an official who was at a poor angle to correctly see the puck and (incorrectly) assumed Miller was in possession. Poor positioning + poor angle + poor assumptions = Poor officiating. There isn't a single reasonable hockey analyst who thought that the call was even potentially reasonable.

There's certainly room for a lot of inconsistency in terms of how rules are enforced in the NHL, there's room for missed calls. That's fine, and that's life. That said, both of those calls were far below the level of professionalism for someone earning what NHL officials earn as a salary. There's bad calls, and then there's BAD CALLS. Both of those were BAD CALLS; I don't expect to see the NHL come down hard on any official for a terrible sequence of calls, but those should certainly come into play when deciding which officials get placed where (if at all) in the postseason. None of the refs from today's game should be working in May, unless it's a scrimmage.

[quote name='Nifty_Shark']6-0 is embarrassing but let's wait like 5 games before we make some quick judgments. This team is very different from last year so lots of unfamiliarity with how the guys play will be a struggle in these early games. One thing that bothers me so far is that Quincy still looks like a bad defenseman. He hasn't been good since coming back to Detroit.[/QUOTE]

Bertuzzi's out for a while now, too.

I'll take the Rags, they are deep as hell except maybe at forward. They have the best D and goalie though, so I like their chances.

[quote name='mykevermin']
Nope, for the same reason Philly won't win it this year. Bryzgalov being a flake in the goal is pretty well documented, but Fleury is a head case, too. When he's good, he's good - but he can get psyched out far more easily than people give him credit for. Pens and Flyers are very similar teams - their offense is so good that it offsets the fact that their D is weak and goaltending fluctuates from great to awful, with little in between.

I have to say it'll be the Rangers winning this year, as much as I loathe Tortorella as being the most ungrateful, bitchiest, New Yawk-iest, whiner of a coach I've ever seen. Also, Rick Nash is another case of something I despise - a player who whines their way off a team and onto a championship team (you saw that with Jeff Carter last year). That drives me nuts (though I think that the Blue Jackets actually got the better end of the trade, to be honest).

Clearly I'm the cantankerous grouchy old man here, but I can't fathom rooting for a team whose owner was clearly among the shitheads in the lockout. I couldn't stomach rooting for the Capitals, Bruins, Predators, etc. knowing the evidence that those teams owners were the minority who kept the lockout going. And the Blackhawks' owner in an interview today flippantly disregarded any notion that he should apologize, saying “Labor is labor, and that’s just the way it is. It might be very distasteful for the fans, but, unfortunately, when you have unions involved, that’s the process you have to go through.”

Now, considering all of what we know about the lockout, that's a really shitty, ballsy thing to try to do - blame the players for the continuance of the lockout. fuck him, and fuck the Hawks.
[/QUOTE]

Amen (especially the Hawks part)

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']I'm not one to say the refs are against one team or another... but todays ref crew for the Fyers game was bad. And most of the egregious calls went against the flyers. That interference call was silly. The flyer wasn't in the crease, was skating across the front of the goal, and the goaly skated into him.

So that's one score called off.

Then the Flyers just scored in a 6 on 5 advanage. But the Ref blew the wistle and stated the goal puck was trapped when it was actually crossing the red line. All because the ref was out of position.

That's two scores called off.

As for the unsportsmanship, they called Ott for flopping.[/QUOTE]

Lousy officiating, but what else is new? Not sweating the Flyers 0-2 start (which could easily be 0-4 when it's all said and done). As we all know, ya just have to make the playoffs. This team has too much talent not to make it.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Gonna be a long short season for Brz. Call up Boucher... ? lol... At least the Sabres are good for something.[/QUOTE]

I feel like I ask this every year, but why do you hate Philly so much again? You're on the other side of the country for crying out loud.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Not sweating the Flyers 0-2 start (which could easily be 0-4 when it's all said and done).[/quote]

Devils and Rangers this week, ugh. We're terrible against the trap, so this week is gonna be hell on my nerves.

1 second into the Islander v Lightning game: 2 fights, and another penalty. Another penalty before we even hit the 1 minute mark

New Lightning goalie is awful. Guy looks like a statue out there with no lateral movement. Our search for a goalie who doesn't suck continues

[quote name='sendme']The kid is insane on the ice. Blues would be doing better if it wasn't for the stupid penalties.[/QUOTE]

St. Louis is clearly outplaying Nashville though. Rinne played out of his mind in OT, and is the only reason this game is still going. I fully expect that to mean that the Blues will score on their first two shots of the shootout, haha.

Crazy that the Preds first two games have gone to a shootout. I guess it's better than taking a regulation loss, but they've gotta start getting some wins. Hoping they can somehow pull this one off tonight.

Wow...I fucking called that one. The Preds just don't have the offensive weapons to be going shot for shot with people. If they don't nut the hell up and start playing defense, it's going to be a long short season.

Damn you called it. It was a hell of a back and forth game. St. Louis isn't that great at shootouts. I'm surprised Rinne came so far from the net in the shootout.

[quote name='sendme']Damn you called it. It was a hell of a back and forth game. St. Louis isn't that great at shootouts. I'm surprised Rinne came so far from the net in the shootout.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what everybody says. For a guy who is 6'5" and can cover post to post when he goes into the splits, I don't know why the hell he thinks he has to cut down angles so much. He's bigger than the fucking net anyway. Crazy how good he is in game situations and how bad he seems to be one on one. People are ragging on him on Preds forums, but he still stopped 35 out of 38. Maybe if Nashville tried playing defense and converting on the power play, it wouldn't have gone to overtime in the first place. The team definitely needs to get its shit together.

Damn, that's a nice move! Timing, placement, control, everything. He even looks cool just barely squeaking past the post with one foot infront of the other. Can't blame Bobrovsky for that one. Sick!

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Yeah, that's what everybody says. For a guy who is 6'5" and can cover post to post when he goes into the splits, I don't know why the hell he thinks he has to cut down angles so much. He's bigger than the fucking net anyway. Crazy how good he is in game situations and how bad he seems to be one on one. People are ragging on him on Preds forums, but he still stopped 35 out of 38. Maybe if Nashville tried playing defense and converting on the power play, it wouldn't have gone to overtime in the first place. The team definitely needs to get its shit together.[/QUOTE]

NHL.com has it as 36 of 39 and that is damn good. The announcers for the broadcast here even said in order to score the Blues were going to have to overwhelm him with shots and get the rebounds. Being 2 for 6 on the power play wasn't good for Nashville. I'm surprised Nashville was only able to get 24 shots on goal. I really expected the Blues to lose after all the stupid penalties. I also think the outcome would have been different if Halak would have stayed in net. It just wasn't his night last night.

I haven't been able to watch any games with Minnesota so I'm not sure what to expect from the Nashville and Minnesota game tonight, but St. Louis isn't going to have it easy. They are going to have to step their game up from last night I think if they want to beat Chicago. I'm also expecting Tarasenko to get his first NHL hat trick in the next 2 or 3 games. I'm really glad St. Louis picked this kid up. He is starting to show some real talent.

[quote name='VipFREAK']https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o9mel_nAr4[/QUOTE]

Damn that is a nice shot.

Preds finally pick up their first win tonight, beating Minnesota 3-1 behind a strong start from Chris Mason. They really needed this win, as it was the start of a 7 game road trip. The season could have gotten out of hand really fast if they let things snowball. This win puts a bit of a positive spin on things, as they've at least picked up one point in every game and have 4 points through 3 games. Wish they could have done better against division opponents, but they get another crack at St. Louis on Thursday.

I think Cory Conacher might get rookie mvp. He has been amazing past three games. Hell he took a huge hit from Ovi and got right back up and shrugged it off like nothing. Hopefully Garon keeps up the great saves as well.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Preds finally pick up their first win tonight, beating Minnesota 3-1 behind a strong start from Chris Mason. They really needed this win, as it was the start of a 7 game road trip. The season could have gotten out of hand really fast if they let things snowball. This win puts a bit of a positive spin on things, as they've at least picked up one point in every game and have 4 points through 3 games. Wish they could have done better against division opponents, but they get another crack at St. Louis on Thursday.[/QUOTE]

Their game tomorrow night should be a fun one to watch. I think it will be a team like Nashville to make it to the cup. The teams that are starting out strong may slow down and I'm not sure if you can afford to have that happen in a short season. The teams that are loosing now, but may pick up later in season can't afford to be a late starting team this year. The teams that can get a point every game and a win when they need it will be the teams to lookout for I think. I expect a different game tomorrow than we saw Monday. I would not be surprised if Nashville wins and it is not in overtime or a shootout.

My brother went to the TB-CAR game a couple of nights ago. As a gag, I asked him to get me a long forgotten Guardian Project book if they had it.

I now own a Guardian Project book.

lol

[quote name='sendme']Their game tomorrow night should be a fun one to watch. I think it will be a team like Nashville to make it to the cup. The teams that are starting out strong may slow down and I'm not sure if you can afford to have that happen in a short season. The teams that are loosing now, but may pick up later in season can't afford to be a late starting team this year. The teams that can get a point every game and a win when they need it will be the teams to lookout for I think. I expect a different game tomorrow than we saw Monday. I would not be surprised if Nashville wins and it is not in overtime or a shootout.[/QUOTE]

Ha...well, that didn't happen. Preds got their asses kicked tonight. Chris Mason has 1 win in 1 game played. Pekka Rinne has 0 wins in 3 games played. WTF life?

I was at the game last night and I'm glad St. Louis won, but I'm surprised. I would have thought Nashville would have come out fighting after a loss in a shootout Monday night. The game almost reminded me of the game against Detroit. The only difference was Nashville did try. Halak didn't seem like he had to do much at all, but the few times he did he was making myself and everyone around me a little nervous.

It was a hell of a game and I did expect more from Nashville. Maybe I will get what I expect from them the next time the two teams meet.

bread's done
Back