NHL 2012-2013 Season- Let's do this. Games start January 19

Don't try to justify it, friend.

Mason started last night for the Flyers, lost 4-1 to the fucking Islanders. I'm hopeful that this will really, truly underline to idiot Philly fans (not all fans from Philly, but the ones screaming about how Bryz suuuuuuuucks) that the defense is so bad it would make Patrick fucking Roy give up 4 goals to NYI. Mason ain't Roy, but the *least* of Philly's concerns this year is the goaltender. In fact, it's the only think working *for* them.

Laviolette has been giving some *horrible* players significant ice time (Huskins, Knuble) and for whatever reason, Couturier is still on the bench and in the doghouse. It's like he's asking to be fired. I bloody hope so, I'm slowly forgetting that I ever liked him as a coach.

Meanwhile, Bobrovsky is a brick fucking wall in COLUMBUS GODDAMNED OHIO - and we were paying him about $250K more per season than we're giving Mason. I'm really, truly happy for Bobs (and C-Bus), but goddammit, when I hear how well Bobs is doing (for another team), I also want to die inside.

Well tonight is the beginning of a 4 game road trip for the Wings and being in 8th place at the moment I'm a bit nervous even though I expect the team to make the playoffs. I'd say if they manage to get 10 points from the last 8 games then they will be fine. Would be great to finally win against Chicago (tonight's game). The schedule isn't that difficult but if I remember correctly the longest winning streak this season for Detroit has only been 3 games so it's going to be pretty close right down to the last 2 games or so.

I'm thinking San Jose and LA will be battling for 4th and 5th spots, St. Louis and Minnesota will be battling for 6th and 7th and Detroit will be stuck in the battle for 8th with everyone that are just a few points out. That bad thing is every team I just listed are so close to each other in points if they go on a loosing streak it could put them out of the playoffs depending on how well the other teams do. I would like to see Detroit in the playoffs only if it is in 8th seed they will have to face Chicago and that means good luck advancing past round one.

Yup, Preds have lost 4 straight and are phoning in the rest of the season as expected. As much as I'd like to see them in the playoffs, I'm willing to sacrifice a shortened season if it sets them up better in the future. Just hope they get more help for Rinne or I could see them burning him out. He pretty much always leads the league in starts (he's started 38 of 41 games this season). But he's only got 14 wins with a 2.29 GAA. That's ridiculous. Gotta get some scoring.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']That's ridiculous. Gotta get some scoring.[/QUOTE]

They really killed themselves with the loss of key players. I wonder how they'll bulk up on the off season?

[quote name='sendme']I'm thinking San Jose and LA will be battling for 4th and 5th spots[/QUOTE]

I'm still scratching my head how we got there...

[quote name='VipFREAK']They really killed themselves with the loss of key players. I wonder how they'll bulk up on the off season?[/QUOTE]

Well, Suter was the only real "loss". Sure, they let Radulov and Andrei Kostitsyn go, but they were douchebags and ended up staying in the KHL anyway. I still feel like the team has a solid core, most of which is fairly young. They just need one or two top line scorers. Not sure how soon they expect Forsberg to be ready, but they have to recognize they've probably got a 3-4 year window to really make something happen. Can't let guys like Weber and Rinne waste their primes, while other solid players like Fisher and Legwand just get older and older. I'm hoping they make a run at a big name forward this summer, but we'll see.

CBJ must win tonight if they want a chance at that 8th spot in the West. They only need to beat a team they have yet to beat this year. Oh well with Bobrovsky, the number one cop on the force between the pipes there is a chance.

I remember when guys like Olbermann, Patrick, Ravech, Steiner, Kilborn, Mayne, Eisen, etc made Sporscenter must see TV.

Jay Onrait and Dan O'Tootle seem to have something going on TSN. I wish I got TSN so I could check out more of their work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksb7UlwCIKQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiIZpGZIKGM

Last edited by a moderator:
I saved this .gif of Bobs after he won in a shootout last season. Still love it, wish we'd kept him.

eqz5dw.gif

[quote name='VipFREAK']They really killed themselves with the loss of key players. I wonder how they'll bulk up on the off season?

I'm still scratching my head how we got there...[/QUOTE]

Not sure, but it would be nice to see them and St. Louis play each other again in the playoffs. That 2nd game I think it was, was a fun one to watch at the end when the fight broke out.

NHL Network is very east coast bias when i watch them predict this years Stanley cup winner..Also during lockout they had alot of NYR classic games and penguins..They totally dismissed there old predictions of NYR winning and have flip flopped to Blackhawks and penguins. While totally ignoring west coast teams.

That's diversity..They need Jeremy Roenick on the network cause he's the man. I do like the Ducks and Red Wings lol. I'm from Cali so i choose freely..

When the Ducks play at their fullest they can beat a lot of teams. They have won the season series against the Blackhawks and i think that deserves more praise from BIG news outlets. Hey, It's also alot cooler to come in all stealthy like and win as the underdog. Let's prepare for Playoffs!!

Ducks VS Kings Semi-final would be off the charts.. For all you guys with teams in a close race for a spot in the playoffs, i wish you good luck.. As we all know any team can pick up steam and bull on in as a complete joke and own the playoffs(2007 Ducks) :D Thank you and great day to you all.

:\

Capitals really should've lost that to teach them a lesson. I mean...give me a fucking break. 5-1 lead, AND YOU BLOW IT!? This team almost never plays a complete game. Maybe 1-2 times a season. Pathetic play the latter half of the game. They sat back, killed their momentum and let Tampa back in it. Terrible.

A terrible, terrible way to play, even though they won.

[quote name='mykevermin']I saved this .gif of Bobs after he won in a shootout last season. Still love it, wish we'd kept him.

eqz5dw.gif
[/QUOTE]

Awesome! :)

Bobrovsky continued to shine last night. The Wild pelted him with shots but he rose to the occasion once again.

Blue Jackets goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky stopped 39 of Minnesota's 41 shots on goal in his 3-2 shootout win against the Wild. Bobrovsky has an 11-0-6 record and a 1.52 goals-against average in the 17 games in which he's faced 30 or more shots on goal this season.

Definitely looking forward to the playoffs starting soon! Here's hoping the Hawks can keep it up.

I'm sort of excited to see some of the new teams in the playoffs, especially in the Eastern Conference. It seems like it's been forever for Toronto (7 years, I think?). Also sort of curious to see if the Islanders make any progress if they can hold on and get to the playoffs.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Bobrovsky continued to shine last night. The Wild pelted him with shots but he rose to the occasion once again.

Blue Jackets goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky stopped 39 of Minnesota's 41 shots on goal in his 3-2 shootout win against the Wild. Bobrovsky has an 11-0-6 record and a 1.52 goals-against average in the 17 games in which he's faced 30 or more shots on goal this season.[/QUOTE]

AUUUUUUUUUGH.

I mean, good for you.

;)

[quote name='GetWhatYaGive']Definitely looking forward to the playoffs starting soon! Here's hoping the Hawks can keep it up.

I'm sort of excited to see some of the new teams in the playoffs, especially in the Eastern Conference. It seems like it's been forever for Toronto (7 years, I think?). Also sort of curious to see if the Islanders make any progress if they can hold on and get to the playoffs.[/QUOTE]

Ha yeah The Leafs haven't made it once between the last two lockouts. The Islanders have totally snuck up on me and the lack of any talk about them ever probably has something to do with that. I'd like to see Toronto play Ottawa at some point and Boston vs Montreal of course.

The West doesn't really have anything specific I'm looking forward to. Chicago and Vancouver meeting up in the later rounds. Or perhaps an interesting battle of Cali teams. Assuming the Wings find themselves in the playoffs they will probably play Chicago which has been one sided in the Hawks favor and watching Chicago play several times including today's victory over St. Louis that would be a fast first round exit for Detroit. I'll take my chances with Anaheim plus they got some unlikeable players who have been there for previous playoff series going back to 2007.

I really hope St. Louis doesn't drop to 8th by the time playoffs start. I really don't want to hear lets go hawks or see about as many red as I do blue at Scottrade. After hearing the announcers I don't think I can listen to NBC much more. They always seem to be bias towards certain teams. I might just turn on the radio and listen to the radio broadcast and watch the games with the TV muted.

Now the Wings defensive play is quite good but they can't find a way to score. OK so they managed to at least grab some charity points during the month which is keeping them alive. Zetterberg and Datsyuk are close to having a point per game which is par for the course when they have a healthy season so I can't really put the blame on them. Going to need some of the other top 6 forwards to find the net. I'm starting to get nervous.

If the Capitals win in regulation on Tuesday, they'll clinch the Southeast Division. I hope they do. I hate seeing things come down to the wire with the Caps.

[quote name='Nifty_Shark']Now the Wings defensive play is quite good but they can't find a way to score. OK so they managed to at least grab some charity points during the month which is keeping them alive. Zetterberg and Datsyuk are close to having a point per game which is par for the course when they have a healthy season so I can't really put the blame on them. Going to need some of the other top 6 forwards to find the net. I'm starting to get nervous.[/QUOTE]

Another win tonight for the Wings. As much as I can't stand them (being a Hawks fan), it just doesn't seem right to not have them in the playoffs. It looks like that put Phoenix out, or at least it'll be awful hard for them to come back now.

Blues made the playoffs last night. I really hope they can stay in the 6th spot to face Vancouver, that way The Blues might see a round 2 of the playoffs.

Ah yeah. Back in 8th. I'm glad the powerplay has come around these last two games. Wings have shut down the opposing teams offense really well this month. Just a matter of scoring more than two goals.

Looks like St. Louis will be in 5th or 6th after Saturday unless they can some how beat Chicago. If they do that then I'm sure it will be because Chicago didn't try, and this is coming from a St. Louis fan. Hell I think I would rather see them drop to 6th to play Vancouver than see them have to play LA. St. Louis has lost all 10 of the last 10 games played against LA so I would like to see the second round of the playoffs..

It says a lot about this season that the Islanders are in the playoffs, the Flyers are looking in from the outside, and the Blue Jackets are fightin' until the very last game for a playoff spot.

I'd love to see the BJs (does anybody call them that? it's childish, but I like it) serve as spoiler either the Wild (and stick it to their overpaid defensive core) or the Red Wings (because fuck the Red Wings, as much as I like Detroit as a city).

Congrats on making the playoffs in the NHL Special Needs Eastern division, Broly. 1 point more than the current 8th seed. Pat yourself on the back for that one, dude.

The East is going to be exciting this year. Having the Leafs and Islanders in, then the Devils out for once should prove much more interesting than previous years.

Oh, right, the Devils, too. What a totally messed up year.

I merely hope we can get some solid defense on the Flyers for next year - but that seems incredibly improbable, since we're unlikely to draft one (a - no Seth Jones for us barring a miracle; b - cases of drafting someone who immediately steps in as an effective, excellent D-man are extraordinarily rare). We also can't really afford to buy/offer sheet/otherwise Holmgren our way into taking over a new defensive core - our needs are too deep, and the new cap has more or less really hurt the Flyers (also, years of dumb-dumb contracts have caused us to hurt ourselves).

Not too thrilled about Flyers prospects next year. But I'd rather go out in a tough division than sneak through in the division everyone makes fun of.

I can finally breathe a sigh of relief, the Senators clinched, Karlsson is back, and the Sens have a chance to finish 6th which would see them face Washington in the first round. These next two games are going to be important.

*sigh* I fondly remember the excitement when the last few games of the season aren't just important, but *critical* to win.

Someone forgot to tell Minnesota tonight. Yegods, what incredible defense they paid for. ;)

Oh, well, all I have to look forward to tomorrow is watching Danny Briere's highly likely final game as a Flyer. He seems like a genuinely good dude, and it stinks that he wants to stay in the area b/c of his children, but he simply has not produced at anything resembling NHL quality hockey this year. On top of that, his contract is way too burdensome. Like him or not, it's time to part ways.

Briere and possibly Bryz (little chance this year, big chance next year), amnesty buyout is thy name.

[quote name='mykevermin']It says a lot about this season that the Islanders are in the playoffs, the Flyers are looking in from the outside, and the Blue Jackets are fightin' until the very last game for a playoff spot.

I'd love to see the BJs (does anybody call them that? it's childish, but I like it) serve as spoiler either the Wild (and stick it to their overpaid defensive core) or the Red Wings (because fuck the Red Wings, as much as I like Detroit as a city).

Congrats on making the playoffs in the NHL Special Needs Eastern division, Broly. 1 point more than the current 8th seed. Pat yourself on the back for that one, dude.[/QUOTE]

Blue Jackets game today is going to be electric! Today, I'm gonna be a huge Dallas and Colorado fan. :bouncy:

[quote name='mykevermin']It says a lot about this season that the Islanders are in the playoffs, the Flyers are looking in from the outside, and the Blue Jackets are fightin' until the very last game for a playoff spot.

Congrats on making the playoffs in the NHL Special Needs Eastern division, Broly. 1 point more than the current 8th seed. Pat yourself on the back for that one, dude.[/QUOTE]

I still want McPhee fired if the Capitals don't go anywhere. He's not a good GM, and every move he makes seems to make the team worse year after year. But he may have gotten a coach, though it may have been 2 years too late.

How somebody can enjoy Detroit as a city is beyond me. I'm glad none of my friends study there anymore. Never looked forward to roaming the streets there at night and even the during the day sometimes.
On topic I'm most surprised at Ottawa which I thought was done after their injuries started to pile up. If Columbus makes the playoffs they would be a major surprise as well. I feel you King Broly. You guys should find a new GM.

Caps won tonight, an interesting win I guess. It puts pressure on Boston tomorrow to beat Ottawa. So again, the Caps find themselves facing the New York Rangers in the playoffs. I feel good about that.

Fun Fact: The Capitals are the only team to win at least one playoff round in each of the last 2 seasons.

fuck You, Colorado. You couldn't get Columbus in the Playoffs.

Well, C-Bus was last year's laughing stock of the NHL, and this year they finished agonizingly, frustratingly just "outside" of playoff contention. They were done in by their OT losses. Going forward, they have an excellent goalie in Bobs as well as a solid offensive core. fuck yeah, C-Bus. You may not have made it this year, but you put up a hell of a fight and really proved a lot of naysayers wrong. Can't wait to see Chicago send Suter and Parise to their early overpaid vacations in a week or so.

Same with the Caps. Caps-Rangers? Who cares? Neither team is cup bound. This year is for the fucking Blackhawks (gawd, them or the Pens, gross gross gross).

God, the NHL SE division is so pitiful. I'm going to need to find something new to mock next season after realignment, yes? Or maybe I'll just relish in the Caps fans whining once their team has to play in a competitive division for a change.

Oh, who am I kidding? Caps fans don't complain when their team loses; they just stop being hockey fans.

Quite sad not to see Gudas pestering Farros tonight. Surprised Vinny got into that fight. Met quite a few old Lightning today. Chris Kontos, Brian Bradley and Pavel Kubina. Great guys to talk with. Pavel was actually surprised to hear I play C level hockey with my body lol. Lightning lost but oh well. Great night tonight none the less.

It's only fitting that the new captain leads the team to a victory and into the playoffs. 2 goal performance by Zetterberg. Wings also come in hot into the playoffs with their 4 game winning streak (best they had this season). Love the matchup against the Ducks. Hate Getzlaf and Perry and it's the only team from the top 3 that the Wings have a realistic chance against. Bring on the Playoffs.

I hope the Penguins face the Islanders. That would be really entertaining. I like that matchup for the Islanders.

For the west I'm betting on Chicago to beat Minnesota in round one. The Anaheim and Detroit games should be good. I'm expecting San Jose to beat Vancouver. As for St. Louis and L.A. I'm expecting L.A. to take this one like they did last year in round two only this year it wont be a sweep. I see St. Louis winning at least one game and this is coming from a St. Louis fan. I hope they beat L.A., but the reality is they are 0-10 or 0-8 against L.A.

At least I will be able to see some east coast games with them on NBC.

[quote name='mykevermin']Well, C-Bus was last year's laughing stock of the NHL, and this year they finished agonizingly, frustratingly just "outside" of playoff contention. They were done in by their OT losses. Going forward, they have an excellent goalie in Bobs as well as a solid offensive core. fuck yeah, C-Bus. You may not have made it this year, but you put up a hell of a fight and really proved a lot of naysayers wrong. Can't wait to see Chicago send Suter and Parise to their early overpaid vacations in a week or so.
[/QUOTE]

Another thing that done the Jackets in was the horrible start to the season. I really hope Bob wins the Venza. I'm proud of this team. The tide has turned in Columbus, Ohio. Nationwide Arena was electric last night! I can't wait for the off season moves, & next season. 3 first round picks in a deep draft! It's time for Jarmo and JD to earn their paychecks.

[quote name='KingBroly']Boston blew it yet again.[/QUOTE]
And I got to be there to see it, again. The Lucic fight happened right in front of me though.

bread's done
Back