Nightmare Busters SNES PRE-ORDER $68 SHIPPED

[quote name='ThunderChunky62']http://www.nightmarebusters.com/

Not really much of a deal but this is the first SNES game to be released in 14 years. Will have a limited run of 600 copies.[/QUOTE]

Taken from the website:

"After giving it much thought and discussing it with our partners, I have decided to honor the wishes of our fans by accepting pre-orders on the first 600 copies of the game."

Sounds to me there will be more than 600 copies of this game.

using the governments cpi index, this would have cost about $42-48 at Egghead Software. I'd recommend preordering Gabriel Knight: Beast WIthin instead, the fmv looks dope.

[quote name='vherub']using the governments cpi index, this would have cost about $42-48 at Egghead Software. I'd recommend preordering Gabriel Knight: Beast WIthin instead, the fmv looks dope.[/QUOTE]

GK2 is being re-released?

Looks like there might be more than 600 copies (eventually):

Our 600 copy pre-order limit for Nightmare Busters has been reached as of March 8, 2012. We'd like to thank all of our loyal customers and fans for helping make Nightmare Busters our fastest selling game product since the company's inception in 2004. The game, to be released in 2013, may be put back into production at some point after the initial 600 copies have been shipped.

I'm definitely interested in getting a copy, but I can't justify paying $68 almost a year in advance.

[quote name='Gameboy415']Looks like there might be more than 600 copies (eventually):

Our 600 copy pre-order limit for Nightmare Busters has been reached as of March 8, 2012. We'd like to thank all of our loyal customers and fans for helping make Nightmare Busters our fastest selling game product since the company's inception in 2004. The game, to be released in 2013, may be put back into production at some point after the initial 600 copies have been shipped.

I'm definitely interested in getting a copy, but I can't justify paying $68 almost a year in advance.[/QUOTE]

I did a triple-take seeing that it's not out until NEXT year. Sounds really fishy to be that much money and that much time out. Maybe it's been in development since the 90s and is challenging DNF's vaporware record.

[quote name='Gojtron']Maybe it's been in development since the 90s and is challenging DNF's vaporware record.[/QUOTE]

Super Fighter Team didn't develop it, they're just publishing it. The game was actually made in the 90s, but got canceled. I thought it was an odd choice to release it now, especially since people are already making repros of it. Although the original SNES version was canceled, a mobile version was released years ago.

[quote name='jbcampb1']
lf4CzH6BXj9NLbwAAAAASUVORK5CYII=
[/QUOTE]

why is :hd: the title of your post

[quote name='pdjones']Here you go.[/QUOTE]

Am I the only one in this thread who noticed that the YouTube video posted is of the original, cancelled game? The video must certainly show an emulator-run ROM, which is why the music sounds so awful. I'm not saying the Super Fighter Team version is going to be great or anything, but this video should only provide a glimpse into the game's history, and not represent the final product.

68$??? for a SNES game????? in 2012??? I don't think so. "first new SNES game in xx years" It's still not worth 68 $....Hell I can buy a PSP for that much...:roll:

[quote name='kevgret']screw the SNES.. we need some new atari jaguar games![/QUOTE]

Atari released the documentation for the Jaguar when they pulled the plug. This opened it up for anyone to develop new software for it and there have been a fair number. Look at atariage.com for details.

I was hoping this SNES game would be something new rather than an old project delayed over a decade. It would be interesting to see what could be done on the SNES with the vast amount of ROM that could be put in a cart these days. One former EA guy told me Nintendo had the boards designed and tested for up to 128 MB SNES cartridges but decided to push developers towards N64 instead of trying to squeeze any more hit out of the old box.

[quote name='Strell']You can reaaaaaaaaaaaaaally pick out the kids in this thread.[/QUOTE]

Damn brat don't remember when people were lining up to pay $80 for Street Fighter and liked it!

[quote name='Sandrock7383']why on earth did anyone post this as a thread?? LOL[/QUOTE]

I'm glad they did. Just like Pier Solar, Beggar Prince, Battle Kid etc.. Retro gamers, like myself, enjoy picking up and playing new releases for consoles they love.

Paying $68 for a complete SNES game that will hold value, or this years Madden for $63 that will be $5.00 in two years, it's a no brainer for me.

If not for the OP, I'd have missed this rare 1st print so I'm thankful this thread was made.

I agree. Even though I don't think i'll order one, I still appreciate the post. Its certainly interesting if nothing else.

Thank you for posting this!! I was not one of the people who purchased a copy but It was very interesting to know about it.

[quote name='Strell']You can reaaaaaaaaaaaaaally pick out the kids in this thread.[/QUOTE]

No doubt. :roll:

I picked up one of these & have purchased from this company before. I like this kind of stuff.

its just as easy to to locate the pompous douchebags
if youre curious who just look at your post
seriously you dont have to be old or young to know the value of something to you i grew up in the 80s and to me the games not worth the price but hey i defer to your wisdom since it comes with age........
sarcasm

Hahaha, this.

I can imagine this game being worth a lot of dough on eBay, if the first 600 are distinguishable from the later versions. Well, can't wait to try it on an emulator next year!

how does gibbi have over 5000 psn trophies? do you play ps3 over 12 hours a day? you must have no life if you have that many trophies

[quote name='Flying Frog']how does gibbi have over 5000 psn trophies? do you play ps3 over 12 hours a day? you must have no life if you have that many trophies[/QUOTE]

This is the way it works.

Anyone that has fewer gamerpoints/tropies than me/you is a n00b!

Anynoe that has more gamerpoints/tropies than me/you has no life!

It couldn't possibly be that they're a better gamer!

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
The kids are the ones who are geeking out over this mediocre-looking game just because it's so "old skool," right?

First of all, it isn't an official game. Second of all, it was originally being made in Thailand/Taiwan, a market where there have been no official game releases (that I know of). Thirdly, it's more than likely just going to be the cartridge with no cardboard box and instructions.

And lastly, if you want your retrogamegasm going on, try places like The Time Capsule and The Toy Vault and pick up a few games that you missed over the years.

[quote name='Nintendonly']First of all, it isn't an official game. Second of all, it was originally being made in Thailand/Taiwan, a market where there have been no official game releases (that I know of). Thirdly, it's more than likely just going to be the cartridge with no cardboard box and instructions.

And lastly, if you want your retrogamegasm going on, try places like The Time Capsule and The Toy Vault and pick up a few games that you missed over the years.[/QUOTE]

Your third point is wrong.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']The kids are the ones who are geeking out over this mediocre-looking game just because it's so "old skool," right?[/QUOTE]

Exactly, it's definitely not those of us who are old enough to not know a waste of money when we see it ;-)

[quote name='Flying Frog']how does gibbi have over 5000 psn trophies? do you play ps3 over 12 hours a day? you must have no life if you have that many trophies[/QUOTE]

I've been earning trophies since 2008. I enjoy trophy hunting as I, or my son and I, play through games. How is that even relevant to this thread?

[quote name='etcrane']Exactly, it's definitely not those of us who are old enough to not know a waste of money when we see it ;-)[/QUOTE]

I'm 38 and don't think it's a waste of money. If the game sucks then maybe I will second guess the buy. Ask anyone who's played Battle Kid or Pier Solar and most will tell you they are great games and are thankful people are still making games for the retro systems.

I watched the video, it was enough to convince me to pass, but for those of you that are excited, more power to you. Just looks very generic to me, especially given the cost.

This reminds me of that thread a year or two ago on the movie / DVD board where people were buying the last HD-DVD ever made and it was some dreadful movie that probably would have never been released outside of the hype for it being the last HD-DVD.

OP might want to update that this run is sold out. Those interested can still put their name on a list, but theres no guarantee of another run.

[quote name='Marauder7']Too bad my wife tossed out my SNES about 10 years ago[/QUOTE]
So what did you toss out in return? If it was nothing, way to disappoint men everywhere & be a doormat to a woman.

[quote name='Gojtron']I did a triple-take seeing that it's not out until NEXT year. Sounds really fishy to be that much money and that much time out. Maybe it's been in development since the 90s and is challenging DNF's vaporware record.[/QUOTE]

One of the traditional problems with mask ROM production is getting a slot for your product in the schedule. For a very small order on a tight budget especially it can mean waiting a very long time for an opening to be scheduled.

This was one of the reasons cartridges made publishers crazy. If you made a big order you had a high capital investment for something that might not be the hit you were hoping for. If you ordered too conservatively you could sell out quickly and not be able to deliver any more units for such a long time that the market loses interest.

This is why optical discs were such an important change from the manufacturing perspective. Mask ROMs were like a huge lumbering train that takes a lengthy period to get up to speed and as long to stop. And when you want to put a different train on the tracks it takes a lot of planning. Optical discs are more like a nimble cargo van that can pull over and let another one pass on short notice.

[quote name='epobirs']This is why optical discs were such an important change from the manufacturing perspective. Mask ROMs were like a huge lumbering train that takes a lengthy period to get up to speed and as long to stop. And when you want to put a different train on the tracks it takes a lot of planning. Optical discs are more like a nimble cargo van that can pull over and let another one pass on short notice.[/QUOTE]
Just wanted to compliment your similes here, very engaging! :)

[quote name='strait edge follower']Is this joke ? I know that dreamcast games are still made in Japan but come on lol[/QUOTE]

That is false. The last official Dreamcast title was Trizeal, which was released in 2005 by Taito and Triangle Service.

If the game isn't officially licensed then I have little interest in it for collectors sake.

If someone could make a game and get a license for it to be "official" now that would be an achievement and worthy investment.

Any shmo can program for the SNES and get enough orders to make a cart. Big whoop. Plus, the game was in development hell for a reason it seems.

I'm not trying to be a butthead or pessimist but seriously, things like this need gallons of cold water dumped on them to bring people back down to reality.

If it's still your thing, power to you. Two opinions were born then.

[quote name='masshuum']If the game isn't officially licensed then I have little interest in it for collectors sake.

If someone could make a game and get a license for it to be "official" now that would be an achievement and worthy investment.

Any shmo can program for the SNES and get enough orders to make a cart. Big whoop. Plus, the game was in development hell for a reason it seems.

I'm not trying to be a butthead or pessimist but seriously, things like this need gallons of cold water dumped on them to bring people back down to reality.

If it's still your thing, power to you. Two opinions were born then.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't in development hell. The game was completed (or at least was very near completion) back in the mid 90s by Arcade Zone, a french game developer. From what I read, it seems the original publisher backed out and they couldn't get a new one, so the game was canceled. A prototype was leaked onto the internet years ago and there are already repros/bootlegs out there.

Super Fighter Team recently got the rights from the current IP holder to produce copies, so in a sense, it is an official release. In addition, it's not going to be the same as the one floating around the internet. As far I know, they haven't received approval from Nintendo though.

bread's done
Back