NiGHTS 2! It's quite likeable - Just not Shaq-fu-able! In Stores Now!

[quote name='SpottedNigel']"MTV Multiplayer" blog has a nice new video including transformations HERE[/quote]
For those who have the post count at 50 (like me), there's a link to the best video so far

Also, www.nightsgame.com has a nice (small) video that goes over the original NiGHTS in the history section. More parts of the site to be unveiled soon

Rumor of delay...http://gonintendo.com/?p=29427

Though if it makes the game even better and look even nicer (I hope...), I'm all for it. We've been waiting 10 years for this, I think another month shouldn't be too bad. This also makes my holiday game decisions a bit easier.

As much as I'm looking forward to this game, I am thrilled it got delayed and POSSIBLY delayed again. Originally it was supposed to come out TODAY. Ugh. Ya know..with EVERYTHING ELSE THAT NEEDS TO BE PURCHASED :cry:

Hopefully they don't put this game TOO close to February..as releasing this with Smash Bros won't be all that wise :razz:

[quote name='meerkatgamer']Very cute! I wished we'd get that with pre-order over here either way i'm getting the game when it comes out, but that'd be nice to have..

Playasia has this listed $64 No pictures, but i'm guessing that's the one with the bonus or is this something else?[/quote]

The toy is from the Sega Direct DX Pack limited edition....

nightswiidxb2pu4.jpg

nightswiidxb1kv6.jpg

nightswiipapevf7.jpg

Content:
-Nights Figure
-Key Holder
-File set (3 kinds)
-Wii Nights

It's only $10 more from the Sega Direct site, but the don't ship outside Japan.
Buygame2.com are selling it for $110 + postage (the cheeky fuckers), so I'm just getting the standard Japanese version from Play-Asia myself.

I hope Christmas nights is included, that would be a perfect christmas present.
I sincerely hope that the battle mode is included in the wifi package.

Considering that the rumor seems to have been posted almost 4 weeks ago, and most sites STILL have it listed as the 18th, I'd say that there's a good chance it's still coming out on that day, yeah.

I figure that if the delay was true, surely someplace like Amazon or GameStop would reflect that, you know?

Wow I completely forgot that the delay was a rumor. Since the game is done already, I'd rather have it sooner than later.

I think they'd certainly benefit from releasing it before Christmas.

I mean, first, it's Christmas, so that always helps.

And, if you look at the release list... it's really the only major Wii game left to come out for the holidays. Seriously, go look at the release list... the last good games came out about 2 weeks ago, and everything between then and Christmas is unmitigated crap... except Nights (I hope, I hope, I hope).

Regardless, I want it to come out so I can get one more Wii game in while I still *have* money. :lol:

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I'm extremely wary of this, especially since it wasn't delayed again. I'll have to wait for some Cheap Ass Opinions before buying.[/quote]

Hey moron, make up you own mind. Also american games sometimes come out superior to their japan counterparts. Nights will easily be one of the best wii games. The original Nights was much better than mario 64 or anything on playstee.

[quote name='Mr. Roper']Hey moron, make up you own mind. Also american games sometimes come out superior to their japan counterparts. Nights will easily be one of the best wii games. The original Nights was much better than mario 64 or anything on playstee.[/QUOTE]

There a reason for your harsh choice of words? Here's an even better question; you have anything to support your whole "NiGHTS 2 is gonna be the bestest best game EVER~!" theory?

Yes, the original NiGHTS owned something fierce, but the Sonic Team now, is nothing like the Sonic Team then. NOTHING. So I side with DON and I'll wait and see where this goes.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I'm extremely wary of this, especially since it wasn't delayed again. I'll have to wait for some Cheap Ass Opinions before buying.[/quote]

s3nd m3 h0t p1x n 1 w1ll. l0l!!11

I am going to be getting this, with or without the pix. If it comes into TRU in time for me to swap it out for one of the fodder games I bought during the buy 2 get 1 sale.

Mr. Roper, you are a bigger douche than your TV counterpart. Go consumate yourself.

[quote name='Mr. Roper']Hey moron, make up you own mind. Also american games sometimes come out superior to their japan counterparts. Nights will easily be one of the best wii games. The original Nights was much better than mario 64 or anything on playstee.[/QUOTE]
Douche alert!

[quote name='The Crotch']For his first month or so, I was convinced that Roper was a joke account.

Chacrana, are you reading this?[/quote]

Funny, I thought you were a joke account. I then realized you have the sweetest name here.

[quote name='Mr. Roper']I am sorry if I offened some of you little girls by letting you know nights was better than mario.
I don't expect you little blind kids to understand.[/quote]

Shut up and no you weren't. Go back to your bridge.

[quote name='Lan_Zer0']EGM: 7/7.5/7

Again, not too surprising. Actually, I would expect EGM scores to vary even more.[/quote]

EGM gave the origial an 8, so that doesn't really surprise me at all. When I said nights was better than mario I was talking about 64 and sunshine only.
If you disagree you never got good at Nights into Dreams.

[quote name='Mr. Roper']When I said nights was better than mario I was talking about 64 and sunshine only.
If you disagree you never got good at Nights into Dreams.[/QUOTE]
HAH. Puh-leeze. I love NiGHTS, but you're seriously nuts.

They are too different to compare. But for me, given the choice to have either played NiGHTS or Mario64 in my life, I'd choose NiGHTS. Given I've only played Mario64 on the DS.

[quote name='b*utch']The toy is from the Sega Direct DX Pack limited edition....

nightswiidxb2pu4.jpg

nightswiidxb1kv6.jpg

nightswiipapevf7.jpg

Content:
-Nights Figure
-Key Holder
-File set (3 kinds)
-Wii Nights

It's only $10 more from the Sega Direct site, but the don't ship outside Japan.
Buygame2.com are selling it for $110 + postage (the cheeky fuckers), so I'm just getting the standard Japanese version from Play-Asia myself.[/quote]

That is some awesome bonus stuff. I guess I will be forced to go to ebay to get that extremely awesome stuff. Oh wells.

[quote name='Lan_Zer0']. Given I've only played Mario64 on the DS.[/QUOTE]
It gets much more difficult to choose if you had played both when they came out. I would probably choose Mario 64 over NiGHTS, but thats purely based on just how short NiGHTS ended up being.

Also I was at EB earlier today, and they had a NiGHTS preview DVD if you pre-orderd/bought a Sega made game

[quote name='SpottedNigel']It gets much more difficult to choose if you had played both when they came out. I would probably choose Mario 64 over NiGHTS, but thats purely based on just how short NiGHTS ended up being.

Also I was at EB earlier today, and they had a NiGHTS preview DVD if you pre-orderd/bought a Sega made game[/quote]

Yea, nostalgia is a powerful force. Though I only played the first level a few times in stores when I was young, probably about the same amount of time I spent with Mario64. I had the pleasure of playing through the full game last year when I picked up a Saturn and found the game to hold up extremely well. The final level was a little touching.

Quick Question, does anyone know the length on this game? The reason I am asking is because I myself am torn between this game or Umbrella Chronicals, and I would probably prefer this game but only if it is of decent length.

Thanks

I played mario 64 and nights for the first time last year.
I am telling you as short as you might think nights is it has more replay value.
The original design and artwork is breathtaking. Best game I have ever played where I actually really want to get a higher score other than Blazing Star.

[quote name='Mr. Roper']I played mario 64 and nights for the first time last year.
I am telling you as short as you might think nights is it has more replay value.[/QUOTE]
Oh, so you're a newbie to each, too!

Having revisited both games many, many times (meaning I've played through them in their entirety around ten times each) since launch day for each title, I feel that I'm quite qualified in my opinion that Mario 64 is superior to NiGHTS in every way, replay value included. They're both stellar games, but Mario 64 has so much more to offer.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Oh, so you're a newbie to each, too!

Having revisited both games many, many times (meaning I've played through them in their entirety around ten times each) since launch day for each title, I feel that I'm quite qualified in my opinion that Mario 64 is superior to NiGHTS in every way, replay value included. They're both stellar games, but Mario 64 has so much more to offer.[/quote]

O-o this isn't really the kind of thing you can have a definative answer based on how many times you personally played those games its always a matter of opinion. Some people may prefer Nights to Mario having played them both the same amount of times you have. Me personally this will be my first time playing a Nights game since I never owned a Saturn.

I did play Mario 64 a ton though even though I only managed 112 stars total out of the game. I can see why someone might prefer Nights it looks like it has a bit darker atomsphere from the shots and the character design looks more unique than a plumber in red overalls :bouncy:.

[quote name='Lan_Zer0']Comes out tomorrow. Anyone buying? By now, I know it won't up to the original, but I still look forward to playing it.[/QUOTE]
Yes, i will buy during first week. MUST BUY. NINTENDO MUST PUT ORIGINAL OUT ON VC. I WANNA PLAY IT FOR THE FIRST TIME,

Into Dreams will be ported to PS2 in Japan, Christmas Dream included. I really wish they had included it on the Wii game. Sigh, it feels like they made such obvious bad decisions when making this game.

I might buy it now that Burnout Paradise is Need for Speed Underground shit and I don't have to worry about buying it.

Into Dreams will be ported to PS2 in Japan, Christmas Dream included. I really wish they had included it on the Wii game. Sigh, it feels like they made such obvious bad decisions when making this game.

Given the number of years - and console generations - separating this NiGHTS and the Saturn iteration, I just don't understand Sega's inexplicable decision notto include the port as an extra on Journey Into Dreams. This iteration is ripe for a tribute to the first game... and given that it has already been developed, not including it is a bizarre decision to say tht least.

I have heard little to nothing about this game, despite it's 'alleged' December 18th ship date. Stores may be seeing this one as early as Wednesday.

Glimpsed some movies of this one... the two player 'battle' mode looks downright confusing/dizzying, but the one player stuff looks pretty sweet. The frame rate and textures look a lot better than those infamous first pixelated screenshots would have had us believe, at first.

I'm looking forward to it, although had it included the port of the earlier game(s) that Japan is getting on the PS2, I would have been first in line and would have encouraged more people to purchase it.

[quote name='Starkraving']Given the number of years - and console generations - separating this NiGHTS and the Saturn iteration, I just don't understand Sega's inexplicable decision notto include the port as an extra on Journey Into Dreams. This iteration is ripe for a tribute to the first game... and given that it has already been developed, not including it is a bizarre decision to say tht least.

I have heard little to nothing about this game, despite it's 'alleged' December 18th ship date. Stores may be seeing this one as early as Wednesday.

Glimpsed some movies of this one... the two player 'battle' mode looks downright confusing/dizzying, but the one player stuff looks pretty sweet. The frame rate and textures look a lot better than those infamous first pixelated screenshots would have had us believe, at first.

I'm looking forward to it, although had it included the port of the earlier game(s) that Japan is getting on the PS2, I would have been first in line and would have encouraged more people to purchase it.[/quote]

I think it's perfectly reasonable to not include a previous game in a new release. Why should we assume and automatically expect that they would do so?

[quote name='kevlar51']I think it's perfectly reasonable to not include a previous game in a new release. Why should we assume and automatically expect that they would do so?[/quote]

It would have been a great service to the fans of Nights for the past many years, like Christmas NiGHTS was a thankyou gift for NiGHTS fans back in the day. Unfortunately today, Sega is a different beast, and chose the route of milking the IP, releasing a remake of a most beloved game on a console other than the one the sequel is released on.

Oh well, I still look forward to it.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to not include a previous game in a new release. Why should we assume and automatically expect that they would do so?
It's already been done, in a very similar situation.

Sega did it with Panzer Dragoon, a game sharing a hugely similar cult status and fan base with NiGHTS. It, like NiGHTS, began on the Sega Saturn, and the port of the original was included as an unlockable extra in Panzer Dragoon Orta (the Xbox 'sequel/update' of the game).

In other words, there's no reason not to assume this could happen again, especially since the updated port is already a reality in Japan.

[quote name='Lan_Zer0']It would have been a great service to the fans of Nights for the past many years, like Christmas NiGHTS was a thankyou gift for NiGHTS fans back in the day. Unfortunately today, Sega is a different beast, and chose the route of milking the IP, releasing a remake of a most beloved game on a console other than the one the sequel is released on.

Oh well, I still look forward to it.[/quote]

Yes, it would have been; has it been confirmed that it won't be unlockable (I'm ignorant on the matter)?

I just think believing something "would be a great service" and bashing the company for not including the previous game for free are two compeletly different matters.

It reminds me of Mac computers. When rumors come out that a new model is on the horizon, they're accompanied by potential specs. Then those specs get exaggerated by other rumors. Then those exaggerations are expanded by speculation, which is further speculated. In the end, people are pissed because the new iMac doesn't have a touch screen and a 2 Tb solid state hard drive and they start yelling at Apple for not listening to their loyal fans.

bashing the company for not including the previous game for free are two compeletly different matters.
If gamers here at CAG want to question Sega's decisions (c'mon.. 'bashing?') they'll do it. What's more, no one's required to read it!

We're Cheap Ass Gamers, so clearly we'd rather get upgraded ports of games from ten years ago as unlockable extras rather than paying for them separately on a completely different platform. Sega's decision not to make this port available to gamers in the States in any form (either as a 'free' inclusion in N:JiD or a standalone PS2 disc) just strikes some of us, particularly those of us familiar with Sega's past inclusions, as bizarre.

It reminds me of Mac computers. When rumors come out that a new model is on the horizon, they're accompanied by potential specs. Then those specs get exaggerated by other rumors. Then those exaggerations are expanded by speculation, which is further speculated. In the end, people are pissed because the new iMac doesn't have a touch screen and a 2 Tb solid state hard drive and they start yelling at Apple for not listening to their loyal fans.
I understand what you're trying to say here but I think your analogy is a bit overblown, considering the relative diminituveness of our issues with Sega.

So... Anyone played it yet? I can't get it for a while because I live in a small town with no place that sells games for about 80 miles. fuck.

So... Anyone played it yet?

My guess is, it has shipped today and most stores won't get them until sometime between Wednesday and Friday. As for critical reaction, well... I was able to find the following snippets on Metacritic.

Nintendo Power gave it a 90/100 and said "This was obviously a labor of love for the development team--something that goes beyond the nuts and bolts of typical game design."

EGM gave it a 70/100 and said "It'd be easy to write this one off as child's play, but it has a hidden depth that reveals itself over time."

Clearly the game is catering to the fans, but it's not going to have the same effect on the average gamer. Those of us who are fans of the bright, colorful and eccentric (and yes, flawed) cast of titles that Sega was especially known for during its Saturn and Dreamcast days will probably give this one a free pass and enjoy it regardless. I would define this as a niche title, just as its predecessor was, but it looks like a lot of fun.

bread's done
Back