Nine Inch Nails General Discussion (NEW ALBUM! THE SLIP, 100% FREE!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I downloaded it even though I don't like anything by them really.

Cool that it's free, but he's only doing it that way because he's filthy stinking rich already.

[quote name='PhrostByte']OH yeah one more thing, a question, perhaps a stupid one. Does Trent have a forum or any way to contact him? A public e-mail address? I wanted to thank him for the new album and beg him to support multi-channel formats some more.[/QUOTE]Not sure about an email although he does make an occasional appearance on the echoingthesound.org forums.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Totally man. I don't think anyone expected to hear anything like that. With Discipline and Echoplex he kinda had everyone's expectations pulled in a different direction. And I'm not knocking those songs, I'm just saying that they juxtapose quite radically with some of the other cuts on the album. Anyone else feel like "Discipline" takes on a whole new vibe now that you're hearing it in context with the rest of the album??? It sounds even better now IMO.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I wasn't thrilled about the song when I got it. Now that it's mixed into the album I find myself pleasantly surprised.

I can only hope that he posts more tour dates. I'm going to need either a date for Vegas or New Orleans (or Louisiana region, like Texas, etc.). I really want to see him live, but so far he's hardly put out enough dates. He's put 2 in Cali (that I'll be missing) that are relatively close together. He still could put in San Diego, San Francisco, and even Sacramento.

[quote name='PhrostByte']Man, Trent is the man. It took me 5 minutes total to download this from Trent's site. (Getting the M4A version now as well.)

I think Trent really understands and appreciates his fans. He's like, "You want my music? Here. Take it. But if you want the full NIN experience, here's a bunch of really cool shit you can get, and the money will go straight to me, fuck the record companies." HE, IS, THE, MAN!

OH yeah one more thing, a question, perhaps a stupid one. Does Trent have a forum or any way to contact him? A public e-mail address? I wanted to thank him for the new album and beg him to support multi-channel formats some more.[/quote]

I got three versions because if he's already converted it for me, then it saves me the time of doing it myself. This is the way record companies should do it. Offer the fans the choice of whatever way they want it and to be able to do whatever they want once they have it. Trent is the man. I can't tell you how many times I've heard Discipline on the radio today because of this news. The radio station here is going nuts for him. They've given him like 50 promos for the album.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Not sure about an email although he does make an occasional appearance on the echoingthesound.org forums.[/quote]

I will DL and have a look!

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I can only hope that he posts more tour dates. I'm going to need either a date for Vegas or New Orleans (or Louisiana region, like Texas, etc.). [/QUOTE]

He's headlining the Voodoo Festival (in New Orleans) with Stone Temple Pilots and REM in October.

http://www.thetenthritual.com/

A 3 day pass is on sale for $100 right now as part of the presale. If you want in, buy your tickets now because the price will go up

[quote name='Sporadic']He's headlining the Voodoo Festival (in New Orleans) with Stone Temple Pilots and REM in October.

http://www.thetenthritual.com/

A 3 day pass is on sale for $100 right now as part of the presale. If you want in, buy your tickets now because the price will go up[/quote]

Nice! Thanks for the info. I hadn't known he'd be there. Is he playing all three days?

Goddamn the drums in 1,000,000 sound EXACTLY like the drums in "Last Exit" by Pearl Jam.

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh9PjcixRWQ[/MEDIA]

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Nice! Thanks for the info. I hadn't known he'd be there. Is he playing all three days?[/QUOTE]

Nope.

Headlining one night will be Nine Inch Nails, one night will be Stone Temple Pilots and one night will be REM.

Virgin Mobile Festival 2008 is happening in Baltimore soon.

Nine Inch Nails, Foo Fighters, Kanye West, Stone Temple Pilots, Oasis, Lil Wayne, Jack Johnton, Offspring, Moby, Armin Van Buuren, Ferry Corsten, Underworld, Lupe Fiasco, etc

[quote name='PhrostByte']Virgin Mobile Festival 2008 is happening in Baltimore soon.

Nine Inch Nails, Foo Fighters, Kanye West, Stone Temple Pilots, Oasis, Lil Wayne, Jack Johnton, Offspring, Moby, Armin Van Buuren, Ferry Corsten, Underworld, Lupe Fiasco, etc[/QUOTE]

August 9th and 10th

I'm going Sunday for NIN, STP and Iggy Pop, from what I hear Kanye is closing out Sunday night and before him it's Bob Dylan. I would have thought that NIN would close out but then again Kanye is bring his crazy show to Pimlico.

[quote name='Midnite']August 9th and 10th

I'm going Sunday for NIN, STP and Iggy Pop, from what I hear Kanye is closing out Sunday night and before him it's Bob Dylan. I would have thought that NIN would close out but then again Kanye is bring his crazy show to Pimlico.[/quote]

Oh, it's at Pimlico? That's a twenty minute walk from my house... didn't know that.

But anyway, fuck that, NIN > Kanye West.

I just pre-ordered my ticket and it kept changing the pick-up name (my name) to the name on credit card. I do believe I am "fucked."

Enjoying the new tracks...

It's a bummer he does not come to Florida as often as he did in the early years. I wanted to see him this summer.

So I just got tickets for East Rutherford, NJ. I bought GA floor and now I'm having second thoughts and wondering if I should have gotten lower reserve seats. Any opinions on this? I've never been to a nin concert before.

Though I am not a fan of NIN I think what they did with the free record download is just awesome, good for you NIN fans out there.

[quote name='Sporadic']Nope.

Headlining one night will be Nine Inch Nails, one night will be Stone Temple Pilots and one night will be REM.[/quote]

I'll have to get tickets for just the night NIN is there as I don't really care to see STP or REM too much.

I just came across some info on the physical release of N!ggy Tardust![quote name='uroboros from echoingthesound.org']
PHYSICAL RELEASE DETAILS

Saw Saul last night in Ann Arbor. Absolutely life affirming. but that's another topic all together. But hours before the show he sat outside with us fans and played an acoustic bass. I took the opportunity to annoy him. He was very gracious and tolerant of my 1,000 questions. So here's what I learned about the physical release of $$$$y Tardust:

It will be released on CD, Vinyl, and iTunes. Each will have exclusive tracks. If I got these titles wrong, please, saul, forgive me.

iTunes: *War at Once (original WTF with trent singing chorus)
*Backwards and Forwards

Vinyl (gatefold): *World on Wheels

CD (digipack, maybe 2 CDs, he's not sure yet):
*can't hide love (earth wind n fire song)
*pedagogue of young gods (original version of no one ever does. one take recording with trent)
*gunshots by computer
*survivalism opal clinic escaped version
& something else? [/quote]Coming out June 24th! I'm bummed out about the iTunes/vinyl exclusives, but whatever, I'm just glad this is getting a physical release! Now's my chance to prove that I wasn't all talk, when I said I would have paid for the album if it came out on CD. :p

I figure this is on-topic enough, due to Trent's heavy involvement. :p

Been checking out some articles about The Slip... anyone else find it silly that people keep comparing this to Coldplay releasing a free single? The endless "In Rainbows" comparisons at least make sense. But... a free downloadable SINGLE? Haven't mainstream acts been doing that for a while now? I don't get why the Coldplay one is considered newsworthy. I guess they just wanna pretend like nothing exists outside of iTunes.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Been checking out some articles about The Slip... anyone else find it silly that people keep comparing this to Coldplay releasing a free single? The endless "In Rainbows" comparisons at least make sense. But... a free downloadable SINGLE? Haven't mainstream acts been doing that for a while now? I don't get why the Coldplay one is considered newsworthy. I guess they just wanna pretend like nothing exists outside of iTunes.[/quote]

Whatever Radiohead does, Coldplay must follow. Such a cheesy band, and they are true copycats.

Anyway, thanks for the info on $$$$y Tardust. I'm bummed about the Itunes/Vinyl exclusives, but yeah.......;)

Hopefully it's a 2-cd with everything. I'll pick up the cd regardless.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Totally man. I don't think anyone expected to hear anything like that. With Discipline and Echoplex he kinda had everyone's expectations pulled in a different direction. And I'm not knocking those songs, I'm just saying that they juxtapose quite radically with some of the other cuts on the album. Anyone else feel like "Discipline" takes on a whole new vibe now that you're hearing it in context with the rest of the album??? It sounds even better now IMO.[/quote]

After listening to the album a few times throughout this week, I think I'm going to have to agree 100%. I was disappointed with Discipline and Echoplex at first, but listening to them with the rest of the album as a whole really got me in to them, and now I dig them a lot. Even the "Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah's" that give off that 60's vibe are growing on me from Demon Seed. Letting you is definitely my favorite song with 1,000,000 coming in right behind it. I was waiting for some hard, angry, noisy NIN songs, and I got 'em with those two. I hope if there ends up being bonus tracks on the retail release that they lean more towards those two.

I order my tickets for Philadelphia yesterday and got Lower Reserve Row 1 sort of angular to the stage. I really like facing the stage straight on to get the whole effect of the setup, but this way I'll be extremely close instead of being a whole hockey rink away because of the end stage setup (I'm assuming).

The only thing I don't like about the new album, and I'm sure I'll get ripped for it, is having 3 slower songs, Lights In the Sky, Corona Radiata and The Four of Us Are Dying, in a row. Don't get me wrong, I like these songs, but having these sequential brings the ending of the record down for me a little. I'd rather have slow songs interspersed in between fast or up-beat songs. Thank god Demon Seed shoots it back up before closing. I also wish the record was a little longer.

And I also agree that after hearing Discipline and Echoplex within the album, I like them 100% more.

[quote name='tcrash247']I order my tickets for Philadelphia yesterday and got Lower Reserve Row 1 sort of angular to the stage. I really like facing the stage straight on to get the whole effect of the setup, but this way I'll be extremely close instead of being a whole hockey rink away because of the end stage setup (I'm assuming).

The only thing I don't like about the new album, and I'm sure I'll get ripped for it, is having 3 slower songs, Lights In the Sky, Corona Radiata and The Four of Us Are Dying, in a row. Don't get me wrong, I like these songs, but having these sequential brings the ending of the record down for me a little. I'd rather have slow songs interspersed in between fast or up-beat songs. Thank god Demon Seed shoots it back up before closing. I also wish the record was a little longer.

And I also agree that after hearing Discipline and Echoplex within the album, I like them 100% more.[/QUOTE]

I feel like the album is missing a couple tracks also. What we got is great, but I feel like "what we didn't get" could have made it that much better. I'm not complaining on any grounds, just noting that more songs could have given The Slip a more rounder edge and us a fuller stomach.

I got screwed at the presale for E Ruth, NJ. I put in Lower Reserve in my cart, then realized those were worse tickets, so took them out and added GA tickets. Then they told me I already bought my allotment of tickets. So apparently you're only ever allowed to add 2 tickets to your cart, not buy 2 tickets. Bullshit. So hopefully I can get my tix Sat at noon. GA would be sweet as last time I had GA at that venue, I was 10ft from the stage.

[quote name='pete5883']I got screwed at the presale for E Ruth, NJ. I put in Lower Reserve in my cart, then realized those were worse tickets, so took them out and added GA tickets. Then they told me I already bought my allotment of tickets. So apparently you're only ever allowed to add 2 tickets to your cart, not buy 2 tickets. Bullshit. So hopefully I can get my tix Sat at noon. GA would be sweet as last time I had GA at that venue, I was 10ft from the stage.[/QUOTE]heh, nice Meathead avatar :D

[quote name='javeryh']Goddamn the drums in 1,000,000 sound EXACTLY like the drums in "Last Exit" by Pearl Jam.[/QUOTE]
I knew it sounded familiar, but couldn't put my finger on it.

I was bored enough to stare at the cover for a minute. Are these faces? Awesome.

TheSlip.jpg

[quote name='redgopher']God damn, it's so good.... I wish he had a donate link set up so I could give him money for beer or something.[/QUOTE]

once i start i cannot stop myself

Hey.. I don't know if any of you have heard it yet, but if not, look into The Downward Spiral Deluxe Edition (SACD). It's remixed and remastered. Sounds really cool too. Some of the songs have these crazy effects put into them. For example, in March of the Pigs, you all know that part where he whispers, "and doesn't it make you feel better?". Well, in the SACD version, that part redirects completely to the back speakers. Sound awesome..

[quote name='PhrostByte']Hey.. I don't know if any of you have heard it yet, but if not, look into The Downward Spiral Deluxe Edition (SACD). It's remixed and remastered. Sounds really cool too. Some of the songs have these crazy effects put into them. For example, in March of the Pigs, you all know that part where he whispers, "and doesn't it make you feel better?". Well, in the SACD version, that part redirects completely to the back speakers. Sound awesome..[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's pretty cool.

He did the same thing with With Teeth. I specifically remember a guitar going back and forth between the two back speakers during one of the songs.

[quote name='Sporadic']Yeah, it's pretty cool.

He did the same thing with With Teeth. I specifically remember a guitar going back and forth between the two back speakers during one of the songs.[/quote]

I just ordered that yesterday for $7 shipped! (amazon). Can't wait to get it... problem is, not sure if my car stereo supports DualDisc. I assume that it should since it plays DVD's...

I guess we'll see! $7 aint much for a piece of Trent's sweet a... udio.

[quote name='PhrostByte']I just ordered that yesterday for $7 shipped! (amazon). Can't wait to get it... problem is, not sure if my car stereo supports DualDisc. I assume that it should since it plays DVD's...

I guess we'll see! $7 aint much for a piece of Trent's sweet a... udio.[/QUOTE]

$7 used?

[quote name='rabbitt']$7 used?[/quote]

Yeah it's used. I didn't feel like paying around $6 more for the new one. However, I did e-mail the seller prior to purchasing it. He said that there's no scratches and it's basically "like new, except missing the wrapping".

So, hopefully it'll turn out ok.

CSI:NY just did a "looking for evidence" montage with NIN's "Meet Your Master [Remix]" from Year Zero Remixed playing over it.

The WAVs have been fixed and reupped.

[quote name='treznor']Gents-
Thanks for the heads up regarding this matter. The corrected files are now posted on our site and if you re-download them they will be the correct ones.
What happened? We mastered this on Friday (5/2) and released it Sunday night. The files went right from mastering to the server without the proper scrutiny (aside from a cursory listen for errors). The last two songs were different because they were redone due to an audible error we did find.
Bottom line: some sort of mastering shenanigans took place.
In addition, there are now 24/96 FLAC files as well as wave files.

BTW, the record was recorded at 24/96 using a Lavry AD122-96MKIII, Antelope's Isochrone OCX clock and mixed in analog through the SSL AWS 900+. We mixed back into Pro Tools through the Lavry as well as a separate rig running at 24/192 using Apogee A/D. The mixes we chose varied song to song based on what sounded best to us.

Trent Reznor[/QUOTE]

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=63086&st=100&p=565179&#entry565179

I was planning on getting some tickets to see them at Key Arena, but all of the ground floor was sold out, and shitty top-row seats were available. It's a blow of money anyways. But I love Trent, and his music is pretty badass.

[quote name='Full_Throttle']Anybody else agree that The Slip was half-assed?[/quote]

I wouldn't describe it as half-assed, but I was a bit underwhelmed.

[quote name='Full_Throttle']Anybody else agree that The Slip was half-assed?[/quote]

You're kidding right? I thought it's phenomenal. I liked it the first time I heard it, but it has continually grown on me. Better than With Teeth, but just a notch below Year Zero.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']You're kidding right? I thought it's phenomenal. I liked it the first time I heard it, but it has continually grown on me. Better than With Teeth, but just a notch below Year Zero.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back