Nine Inch Nails General Discussion (NEW ALBUM! THE SLIP, 100% FREE!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='becuzimbrown']Here's my question from the last thread (assuming we're not using it anymore):

What are some good (or the best) Nine Inch Nails songs? Im trying to get in to them because of a friend.[/quote]

they have a lot of songs. ive got 289 on my computer. and i know i dont have them all.

I already posted this in the other thread, but in case anyone else wants to know good stuff...
[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Here you go (I tried to cover all the different styles of songs he's used/still using):
Head Like A Hole
March of the Pigs
Sorry for using a Rock Band video, but the quality is actually pretty good from it..so why not?
Sin
Gave Up
Wish
Closer
Piggy
One of the dumbest fan videos ever made.
Hurt
The Perfect Drug
Burn
Starf*ckers, Inc.
The Hand That Feeds
We're In This Together
Survivalism
Capital G[/quote]

Very nice. I thought With Teeth was much better than Year Zero, so I don't mind somewhat of a return to that sound. I also really like the end, with the looped/layered vocals.

I liked the song, you can't deny it was good, but I was so hoping for Year Zero 2. Year Zero was probably one of the most underrated albums of last year. I constantly played it.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I liked the song, you can't deny it was good, but I was so hoping for Year Zero 2. Year Zero was probably one of the most underrated albums of last year. I constantly played it.[/quote]

i can't find any source for it whatsoever at the moment, but i was reasonably sure he said at one point we'd get a 'sequel' album to advance the story. i could be creating memories, however. regardless, even if he did say it i'd imagine it might be a little bit. i get the impression he's still more focused on feeling out what he's capable of doing as a free agent, so to speak.

Hey guys, watch this 2500 times.

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AcGtmJoJOI[/MEDIA]

What track is playing in the background?

[quote name='BustaUppa']According to the Song I.D. thing on my phone, it's "Music Makes You Lose Control" by Les Rythmes Digitales. I cross-referenced it with a song sample online and it checks out![/quote]

You can hear that at the end of the video too.

[quote name='rabbitt']Some phones can identify songs if held up to the sound source.[/quote]

Yeah, but I thought that was only in Japan? When did they port it over or which carriers carry it?

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Yeah, but I thought that was only in Japan? When did they port it over or which carriers carry it?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure which carriers, but my friend has had it on his phone for about a year.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Yeah, but I thought that was only in Japan? When did they port it over or which carriers carry it?[/QUOTE]Some Verizon phones have it. It's a free downloadable app that just uses your minutes the way any other phone call would. Sprint has it too, but they charge $1.99 per successful song I.D., which is total garbage (unless they've changed it up since I was doing research last year).

Hey, so how 'bout those Trent Reznor dress-up dolls?

[quote name='BustaUppa']Some Verizon phones have it. It's a free downloadable app that just uses your minutes the way any other phone call would. Sprint has it too, but they charge $1.99 per successful song I.D., which is total garbage (unless they've changed it up since I was doing research last year).

Hey, so how 'bout those Trent Reznor dress-up dolls?[/quote]

That's cool. I hadn't known that they had brought that feature over. I'm still getting by with my 4-5 year old Motorola that I use for work. It gets me news from CNN and the like, plus I can call/page with it. That's pretty much the extent of a phone that I need. I wouldn't mind getting an Iphone as my next phone, though.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Hey, so how 'bout those Trent Reznor dress-up dolls?[/QUOTE]

Not as cool as the last one he posted, the mini tambourine is essential :D

b33bf3b229ba4ec0ebda851qn6.jpg

[quote name='rabbitt']I'm not sure which carriers, but my friend has had it on his phone for about a year.[/quote]

Virgin Mobile has had this feature for years.

[quote name='nin.com']28 April 2008: Ticket Presale Information
Presales for the upcoming tour are about to begin. Presales for the Lexington, KY show will open on Wednesday, with many more shows starting up early next week. We've been working very hard to get the best tickets in the hands of the fans, bypassing scalpers, ticket resellers, and ticketing agencies... This has been a difficult process to bring together outside of The Spiral, and frankly, it's a work in progress. The presale system you'll be using for this tour does everything we set out to do, but as of right now ticket purchasing requires a few more steps than we'd prefer. You can expect a more streamlined system for future tours, but for now, here's what to expect:

First, you'll need to be a nin.com member to access presales. If you haven't already, register for free at remix.nin.com (click "register" once you're at the site), or log in with your Spiral username/password (Spiral members: If you've changed your Spiral password since November 2007, you may need to use your old password to login).

Then, subscribe to the news feed, or keep an eye on nin.com for presale announcements. The first announcement, regarding the Lexington show, will go up tomorrow.

When you purchase presale tickets, you'll need to enter your legal name exactly as it appears on your identification. When you arrive at the show, there will be a designated entrance for nin.com presale ticket holders. Present your ID at the entrance and you'll receive your personalized ticket, which will have your name on it (no tickets will be sent out in advance). You'll then have to enter the venue immediately. This process is an effort to ensure that our presale tickets are purchased only by fans who are attending the show, and are useless to scalpers and ticket brokers.

More specific presale information will be posted tomorrow and in the coming days.

P.S. - purchasing presale tickets from nin.com will generally be less expensive than from public outlets.
[/quote]

This is really exciting.

[quote name='nin.com']purchasing presale tickets from nin.com will generally be less expensive than from public outlets.[/quote]

Yeah, but will they be better seats than from public outlets? The appeal of The Spiral ticketing system for me was always getting to sit in the reserved Spiral section.

You know what, I really like this song. I heard all throughout the weekend on the radio, and just picked up my DL credit from nin.com and it's pretty catchy, but still has that nin vibe to it. I still can't believe radio would play him/this song since he's not on a big label anymore.

It's late and I've only heard the song once. As stated before it feels like the With Teeth era which is NOT my favorite. I thought that was his weakest, most divergent work. I was glad that Year Zero was back to his substance/message stance. Also, I love Ghosts with its laid back, ethereal sound which harkens back to Fragile. I think I've listened to With Teeth about five times from when I bought it. I keep trying to get into it but I just can't finish listening to that album. I hope this track either grows on me or it not that, then that the rest of the new album is not like this track.

I want the depressed old Trent that someone mentioned before. Trent with a message and not a slightly pop sound.

[quote name=' Trent Reznor']30 April 2008: appearing with nine inch nails
I am proud to announce the following acts will be performing with us on select dates.

Deerhunter
Crystal Castles
Does It Offend You, Yeah?
A Place To Bury Strangers
White Williams

Check the performance page to see who plays what date.[/quote]

Does It Offend You, Yeah? will be performing at my show. The news just keeps getting better and better.

Updated the first post with the main post from my SomethingAwful thread.

Glad to hear Deerhunter is opening for the show I'm thinking about going to.

[quote name='Sporadic']Updated the first post with the main post from my SomethingAwful thread.

Glad to hear Deerhunter is opening for the show I'm thinking about going to.[/QUOTE]

Same, though I would mind seeing A Place to Bury Strangers again.

Looks like everybody who ordered the Deluxe/Special edition of Ghosts is getting a special little surprise.

People are reporting that a Ghosts 37 & 38 have been discovered on the multitracks disc.

Ghosts 37 (by Run Dodo Run at SomethingAwful, longer and louder but may be incorrect): http://www.sendspace.com/file/tnzgwu

wow... the fact that he's released TWO free songs leads me to believe we'll be getting a bona-fide ALBUM here. If it's just a 5-song EP then he's already given us 40% of the whole thing!

Echoplex cover

This really looks like it's shaping up to be a With Teeth leftover album.

- edit Lyrics

nice and high and far apart
just like they said
i built this place with broken parts
just like they said
you chip away the old version of you
you'd be surprised at what you can do
i'm safe in here
irrelevant
just like they said

my voice just echoes off these walls

you feel me breathe
i am watching you
i see it all
the many ways you can't get to me
i see it all
i see the hell you put yourself through
oh the things i could do (if i wanted to)

i don't need anything at all

and i just slowly fade away

you will never ever get to me in here

So. There are only 3 NIN multi-channel albums right?

Downward Spiral Deluxe Edition (SA-CD)
Downward Spiral DVD-A
With Teeth DVD-A

[quote name='PhrostByte']So. There are only 3 NIN multi-channel albums right?

Downward Spiral Deluxe Edition (SA-CD)
Downward Spiral DVD-A
With Teeth DVD-A[/QUOTE]

Those are the only three.

[quote name='Sporadic']This really looks like it's shaping up to be a With Teeth leftover album.[/quote]

i find that to be an insane idea. not in the sense that i don't think it's plausible, just the idea that they wouldn't have made the cut. i mean, if that's truly the case, he HAD to have tweaked these in the meantime. they're leagues better than most of what actually made it on that album, at least in my opinion. i should probably reserve judgment until i hear more, but as it stands now he's pretty much guaranteed my money day one for whatever this turns out to be.

[quote name='Shmitty']i find that to be an insane idea. not in the sense that i don't think it's plausible, just the idea that they wouldn't have made the cut. i mean, if that's truly the case, he HAD to have tweaked these in the meantime. they're leagues better than most of what actually made it on that album, at least in my opinion. i should probably reserve judgment until i hear more, but as it stands now he's pretty much guaranteed my money day one for whatever this turns out to be.[/quote]

Wow, I kinda feel the opposite. I'm digging the new songs, but they just don't seem to be 'up to snuff' with like 80% of the With Teeth album. I was wondering if anyone else felt the same.

[quote name='Trakan']Wow, I kinda feel the opposite. I'm digging the new songs, but they just don't seem to be 'up to snuff' with like 80% of the With Teeth album. I was wondering if anyone else felt the same.[/QUOTE]

I love the new songs but it does feel like either a rehash or leftovers from With Teeth.

The lyrics are on the same idea (Discipline = Only, Echoplex = Not So Pretty Now) and musically, it isn't much of an evolution (besides having more backing vocals/effects)

[quote name='Sporadic']No problem.

Here's Ghosts 37 & 38 in 320kbps CBR LAME MP3 with the proper ID3 tags. Perfect if you just want to drop them in your current Ghosts I-IV folder.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LOGI9ZWQ[/quote]

Thanks dude. What's the story with these? Released by Trent on his site or something?

[quote name='Trakan']Wow, I kinda feel the opposite. I'm digging the new songs, but they just don't seem to be 'up to snuff' with like 80% of the With Teeth album. I was wondering if anyone else felt the same.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you. I like the new songs, but With_Teeth seems much stronger than these so far.

[quote name='PhrostByte']Thanks dude. What's the story with these? Released by Trent on his site or something?[/QUOTE]

They were on the multitracks disc in the collector's/mega edition in two seperate folders titled "Ghosts 37" & "Ghosts 38"

I just put together the pieces in Audacity.

[quote name='Sporadic']They were on the multitracks disc in the collector's/mega edition in two seperate folders titled "Ghosts 37" & "Ghosts 38"

I just put together the pieces in Audacity.[/quote]

Oh ok cool, thanks. I do enjoy me some Ghosts... doesn't feel like Trent's actually trying to recapture the NIN magic with this set though, just seems like he's messing around and giving us something raw.

It sure is nice though, I especially like track 38. My favorite one isn't even on the regular edition, interesting. :bouncy:

[quote name='tcrash247']I'm with you. I like the new songs, but With_Teeth seems much stronger than these so far.[/quote]

to each their own, i suppose. i enjoyed that album the first time around, but with each play through, i was skipping through more and more songs. outside of a select few tracks, it just felt like...filler. you know what you are, the collector, love is not enough, awitha teetha, getting smaller, and the line begins to blur all just seem like they brought nothing of note to the table, and thats nearly half the album. i've lost an hour at a time to discipline before, simply because its so catchy. echoplex, while not as interesting, just seems to grab me more than most of those songs ever did. again, i'm not trying to shit on anyones taste here, they just do a lot more for me than most of that album ever did.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Also, I don't think I ever received an answer, but has Saul's most recent album been released on CD?[/QUOTE]

Last time I heard, it's coming some time in late May with 7 bonus tracks.

The Fader label, which released "Saul Williams," plans to issue an expanded version of "$$$$yTardust!" on CD and vinyl in late May. President Jon Cohen said there was initial uncertainty at the label about trying to sell a work that's already been available free.

[quote name='Sporadic']Last time I heard, it's coming some time in late May with 7 bonus tracks.[/QUOTE]Sweet! I've always said that I'd gladly pay for that one if it were released on disc. Seven bonus tracks makes it even more of a no-brainer purchase for me.

Seriously, if any of you NIN fans haven't checked out N!ggy Tardust yet, I'd definitely recommend it. At least check out the tracks "Convict Colony" and "Banged And Blown Through" (BABT is especially Fragilesque).

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back