Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero (New album is out! GO BUY IT!)

I think its very good and I can't wait to own it. Though its really different, way more electronic than anything they ever put out. Vessel is my favorite track.

I'm kinda disappointed with the rest of the album after how good the leaked songs were.

I'm really diggin' Capital G though.

Capital G makes this album. The beginning has a few highlights and then it hits its stride with Capital G The rest of the album is just golden.

[quote name='tcrash247']I think its very good and I can't wait to own it. Though its really different, way more electronic than anything they ever put out. Vessel is my favorite track.[/QUOTE]oh man, that groove on "Vessel" is unbelievable! Heh, I'm normally very resistant to "spoilers" and whatnot before an album comes out, but I wanted to be a part of Trent's great experiment here. So I went ahead and listened to it all last night. I love when the Year Zero music player window freaks out!

I've listened to it a few times already... My opinion? Worst album yet... That's not saying it's a bad album, it's just that I'd rank it lower than With Teeth. Maybe I just need to let it grow on me... I didn't think much of With Teeth the first few times I heard it, but after a while I started to enjoy about 60-70% of it.

[quote name='PhrostByte']I've listened to it a few times already... My opinion? Worst album yet... That's not saying it's a bad album, it's just that I'd rank it lower than With Teeth. Maybe I just need to let it grow on me... I didn't think much of With Teeth the first few times I heard it, but after a while I started to enjoy about 60-70% of it.[/QUOTE]

Usually I respect other people's opinions but sorry, you are goddamn insane.

[quote name='Sporadic']Usually I respect other people's opinions but sorry, you are goddamn insane.[/quote]
Excuse me?

[quote name='PhrostByte']Excuse me?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='PhrostByte']My opinion? Worst album yet[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Sporadic']you are goddamn insane.[/QUOTE]

_

I'm insane because I think this is NIN's worst album? Umm.. ok, that makes sense. Guess I didn't see it before. :roll:

[quote name='PhrostByte']I'm insane because I think this is NIN's worst album? Umm.. ok, that makes sense. Guess I didn't see it before. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Glad I was able to clear it up for you.

Hmm, so far, pretty cool...not usually a fan of this genre of music, but this is synthy/keyboardy which I always enjoy...may have to pick this one up

As far as I know, the rest of NIN's catalog is different from this, correct?

[quote name='I AM WILLIAM H. MACY']Hmm, so far, pretty cool...not usually a fan of this genre of music, but this is synthy/keyboardy which I always enjoy...may have to pick this one up

As far as I know, the rest of NIN's catalog is different from this, correct?[/QUOTE]

If you are looking for synthy/keyboardy, some of Pretty Hate Machine should be right up your alley if you are will to look past the fact it was made in 1989/has laughably bad lyrics.

[quote name='Sporadic']If you are looking for synthy/keyboardy, some of Pretty Hate Machine should be right up your alley if you are will to look past the fact it was made in 1989/has laughably bad lyrics.[/QUOTE]Laughably bad? They're better than some of the stuff on The Fragile and With Teeth. :lol:

80s synths are an entirely different thing, though. :lol:

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Laughably bad? They're better than some of the stuff on The Fragile and With Teeth. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I'm slipping on the tears you made me cry :lol:

[quote name='Sporadic']I'm slipping on the tears you made me cry :lol:[/quote]

Better than the man love in Survivalism.

I haven't listened to it all the way through yet and I'm hesitant to do so...it's just one of those albums I want to own before I listen to it.

[quote name='thehuskerfan']Well, this is the first album I've ever heard of NIN... and I must say.. IT'S AWESOME!! :):):)[/QUOTE]

You should check out Pretty Hate Machine and The Downward Sprial. Those are Reznor's two best works.

I think I must be the only person on that liked [with teeth]... atleast, the only one that would admit it.

[quote name='Kayden']I think I must be the only person on that liked [with teeth]... atleast, the only one that would admit it.[/QUOTE]

I like it. My buddy does, too. But I know what you mean.

[quote name='Kayden']I think I must be the only person on that liked [with teeth]... atleast, the only one that would admit it.[/quote]
I loved With Teeth.. that being said, it wasn't one of his best works, but it was still an excellent CD. I think the reason I don't like his last two CD's as much as his first 3 is because well... he's not a drug addict anymore. I know it sounds like a fairly harsh and possibly unfair criticism, but I'm so cereal about it. Back in the day, Trent was mad at god, the world, and himself. He had angst that came out in his music. It was a musical representation of misery... of defeat, emptiness. Now who's he mad at... the president? Please... It's a decent album, but this isn't the Trent I grew up listening to... this guys seems content with his life :cry:

[quote name='Kayden']I think I must be the only person on that liked [with teeth]... atleast, the only one that would admit it.[/QUOTE]

I love With Teeth, especially in 5.1

It was the perfect look at the aftermath of the Fragile era.

- edit [quote name='PhrostByte']I loved With Teeth.. that being said, it wasn't one of his best works, but it was still an excellent CD. I think the reason I don't like his last two CD's as much as his first 3 is because well... he's not a drug addict anymore. I know it sounds like a fairly harsh and possibly unfair criticism, but I'm so cereal about it. Back in the day, Trent was mad at god, the world, and himself. He had angst that came out in his music. It was a musical representation of misery... of defeat, emptiness. Now who's he mad at... the president? Please... It's a decent album, but this isn't the Trent I grew up listening to... this guys seems content with his life :cry:[/QUOTE]

Wow, not only are you insane but you are a shitty person as well.

He's 41 years old now, what the fuck do you expect?

[quote name='PhrostByte']Back in the day, Trent was mad at god, the world, and himself. He had angst that came out in his music. It was a musical representation of misery... of defeat, emptiness. Now who's he mad at... the president? Please... It's a decent album, but this isn't the Trent I grew up listening to... this guys seems content with his life :cry:[/QUOTE] That's all true, but he's over 40 and he's been one of the most respected musicians in popular music for over a decade. What's left to complain about? :lol:

[quote name='Sporadic']I love With Teeth, especially in 5.1

It was the perfect look at the aftermath of the Fragile era.

- edit

Wow, not only are you insane but you are a shitty person as well.

He's 41 years old now, what the fuck do you expect?[/quote]
I'm a shitty person because I don't like his recent music? I think you just revealed who the "Shitty person" between us is.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']That's all true, but he's over 40 and he's been one of the most respected musicians in popular music for over a decade. What's left to complain about? :lol:[/quote]

Well I didn't really think I was complaining. I like his new CD... I just think it's his worst one yet. Among all possible albums, his is high quality, but if you're only considering the range that falls under "Nine Inch Nails album", I'd say it's relatively low quality.

[quote name='PhrostByte']I'm a shitty person because I don't like his recent music? I think you just revealed who the "Shitty person" between us is.[/quote]

He said it because you implied that Trent had to be a drug addict in order to make good music. I disagree as well.

That being said, while I'm not in love with the album as a whole, I think it has a bunch of hot songs.

I like it, too. Didn't for a while, but it's grown on me. First NIN CD I bought at the store.

[quote name='Trakan']He said it because you implied that Trent had to be a drug addict in order to make good music. I disagree as well.

That being said, while I'm not in love with the album as a whole, I think it has a bunch of hot songs.[/quote]
I simply think that.. there's a strong correlation between the quality of his music and the amount of emotional baggage he was dealing with at the time. I'm not trying to imply that he necessarily has to be a drug addict to make good music... Just like you said, I'm not in love with the album like I was DS and Fragile, but it has its high spots... just like With Teeth did.

[quote name='PhrostByte']I'm a shitty person because I don't like his recent music? I think you just revealed who the "Shitty person" between us is.[/QUOTE]

I made that comment more at the whole "WHY CAN'T TRENT BE THE SELF-LOATHING, DRUG ADDICT I LOVE" part of your post.

Trent's a human being and he isn't always going to be Mr. Piss-And-Vinegar he was in his 20s.

If Trent was moving at the same pace he was during the Self Destruct/Fragile era, he would be dead right now.

[quote name='Sporadic']I made that comment more at the whole "WHY CAN'T TRENT BE THE SELF-LOATHING, DRUG ADDICT I LOVE" part of your post.

Trent's a human being and he isn't always going to be Mr. Piss-And-Vinegar he was in his 20s.

If Trent was moving at the same pace he was during the Self Destruct/Fragile era, he would be dead right now.[/quote]

I agree... but do you agree that he made his best music then?

PhrostByte, I agree with what you're saying. I don't think most people see it. It's like Scott Weiland (sp) from STP, once he sobbered up, his music was not as great as the first 2 albums. It's happens with many rock musicians.

Now, I don't know what's going on in Trent's personal life, when he cleaned up, etc. All I know is that these two albums after the Fragile have a totally different tone from his previous works. I just attributed it to him getting older and that usually happens to musicians as they age. To anyone who gets older really, you just don't have the same anger like you did when you were younger (well most don't).

I've listened the Year Zero about 3-4 times over the past two days while at work. While it's better than with teeth it's still not among his best. I'm still trying to capture all the lyrics as I usually listen to the melody first. In both lyrics and in melody he's borrowing a little from his past work and it's noticable. Also his singing ability has changed as well, again, could be due to age.

While his work is still better than most out there, I don't think fans can honestly say this and With Teeth are his top two albums. Go back and listen to everything again.

[quote name='PhrostByte']I agree... but do you agree that he made his best music then?[/QUOTE]

Yes and no. Currently his best is from that era (Fragile era is my favorite) but Year Zero have restored my faith that the best is still to come.

[quote name='Sporadic']Yes and no. Currently is his best from that era (Fragile era is my favorite) but Year Zero have restored my faith that the best is still to come.[/quote]
That's fair.. I just think your faith is setting you up for failure... The Trent we all know and loved has changed, and I doubt we'll ever get another Fragile/DS. That being said... I think you owe me an apology for being a dick.

[quote name='PhrostByte']That's fair.. I just think your faith is setting you up for failure... The Trent we all know and loved has changed, and I doubt we'll ever get another Fragile/DS. That being said... I think you owe me an apology for being a dick.[/QUOTE]

I'm not expecting another Fragile/DS. His best won't be a rehash of older material.

That being said...I think you should go fuck yourself.

[quote name='fraggedbylaggers']So any non-torrent places to get all of the album? (It has all been leaked right?).[/quote]
I haven't checked them in a very long time, but check out the mp3/album blogs. I'm sure multiple blogs have already zipped or rarred this up and put it on rapidshare or some other file transfer site. Check skafunkrastapunk.com's forums. Probably someone there already put it up.

Edit: I take that back, it's there.....multiple times.

[quote name='Sporadic']I'm not expecting another Fragile/DS. His best won't be a rehash of older material.

That being said...I think you should go fuck yourself.[/quote]

Noted.

Closer is the high water mark song-wise with A Perfect Drug coming in a close second. Downward Spiral is still the best album. The new stuff is for a new generation of teens.

That's the score. :)

I think those who continuously criticize this album are forgetting that this is a concept album. Saying things like "this is no Pretty Hate Machine/Fragile/Downward Spiral/etc." is a given, Year Zero is just the first step in a different direction. Implying things such as Reznor being no good since he's cleaned up is ludicrous. When you really sit down and take in the cd as well as all the viral marketing (websites, songs in thumbdrives at concerts, phone #s), you can't honestly say that Trent is showing signs of slowing down or losing his touch.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']No. What are you, female? :roll: :lol:[/QUOTE]

I don't know how to even respond to that...I've never considered that a chick song. maybe that token goth girl who wants you to hit her during sex likes it :lol:

anywhoo...I like the well composed songs on downward spiral, though harder songs have their place on the album too. Not that I can listen to any of it anymore since my friends and I pretty much killed it in sophomore year.

"a perfect drug" is the best of both worlds though.

[quote name='Apossum']I don't know how to even respond to that...I've never considered that a chick song. maybe that token goth girl who wants you to hit her during sex likes it :lol:

anywhoo...I like the well composed songs on downward spiral, though harder songs have their place on the album too. Not that I can listen to any of it anymore since my friends and I pretty much killed it in sophomore year.

"a perfect drug" is the best of both worlds though.[/QUOTE] Oh, it is very much a chick song. They seem to think it's "cute". Same thing with "Rape Me". :lol:

"A Perfect Drug" would be better if it were only 3 minutes long.

bread's done
Back