Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero (New album is out! GO BUY IT!)

I've been advoiding listening to any of the stuff that is out now so I can listen to the album as a whole fresh and new the first time. My question is however is will there be a release on something such as SACD, DualDisc, or even a deluxe CD/DVD edition that will have a 5.1 mix on it? I'm really hoping to hear this album the first time in 5.1 preferably.

Thanks CAG. :D

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Oh, it is very much a chick song. They seem to think it's "cute". Same thing with "Rape Me". :lol:

"A Perfect Drug" would be better if it were only 3 minutes long.[/QUOTE]

well, you must live in a cooler place then I :lol:

[quote name='Apossum']"a perfect drug" is the best of both worlds though.[/quote]

"The Perfect Drug" is probably my favorite NIN song, and I doubt I'll ever like any song more.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']"A Perfect Drug" would be better if it were only 3 minutes long.[/quote]

I agree. I do really dig the drum solo though.

[quote name='Demolition Man']I've been advoiding listening to any of the stuff that is out now so I can listen to the album as a whole fresh and new the first time. My question is however is will there be a release on something such as SACD, DualDisc, or even a deluxe CD/DVD edition that will have a 5.1 mix on it? I'm really hoping to hear this album the first time in 5.1 preferably.

Thanks CAG. :D[/QUOTE]

So far, negative on all accounts.

Which is really weird considering TR has stated many times he would like to get his whole catalog in 5.1

-----------

Hey, let's go back in time.

[quote name='Spin Magazine April 1997']Do you ever wonder, "How am I going to make sure I matter in the next decade?"

Jimmy Ovine of Interscope Records, who I respect a lot, said to me at one point, "I'm president of Interscope and not a producer anymore because I see guys like you and Dre come along, and I can't compete on that level." When you think about the rock world, there's a window of time where what you do has pertinence and meaning. I hope ten years from now I'm making soundtracks or producing or something. I don't want to be putting mud all over myself at the Sands in Las Vegas.

I'd love to think someday that I made a difference, I changed something, I shifted the axis somewhat. But all I can do is try to make the best music I can. Not go into it thinking, "I'm going to change shit." It becomes calculated if you cater to the idea of shifting things. I think we have in a subtle way, but, um, yeah, I'd love to be remembered. [Sarcastically] Elvis, Lennon, Reznor.[/QUOTE]

Looks like you made it Trent :)

I've been listening to it since Friday. Listened to it at work Friday morning, while cutting the grass Friday afternoon, and while doing server maintenance back at work Sat. morning. I think it's incredible.

Not that this makes my opinion any more or less valid than anyone elses, but I've been listening to NIN since the PHM days. I said a little while back that TDS is my least-favorite, and I still stand by that. My favorite before YZ was The Fragile. Enough time hasn't passed yet for me to rank YZ, but I can safely say there's been no loss of quality.

Heck, all of the talk (from Trent himself) about the album sounding so different had me worried, and IMO it doesn't really. I'd say it's MUCH more focussed than WT - I enjoyed WT, but it was more a collection of really good songs than a cohesive album. I can't name all of my high points w/ YZ yet, and part of that is because I think it works so well as a whole. But I will say that Capital G, The Good Soldier and Me, I'm Not haven't gotten a lot of individual listens from me so far.

[quote name='Sporadic']So far, negative on all accounts.

Which is really weird considering TR has stated many times he would like to get his whole catalog in 5.1.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Hell I even did a 5.1 mix for my remix of "Only"... okay more like I'm still working on that 5.1 mix (mostly fixing a few panning glitches but its mostly done).

So you guys ever listen to the non-album Halo's? crym already mentioned Broken... that's a great one, another one of my favorite's is Things Falling Apart. (I love the song "Into the Void" and its remixes)

[quote name='fraggedbylaggers']My friend gave me his entire collection of NIN music. What the hell does this halo thing mean?[/quote]AFAIK, it's just the numbering system he uses for fans to keep up with all his works (minus promotional stuff).

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']AFAIK, it's just the numbering system he uses for fans to keep up with all his works (minus promotional stuff).[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. As I understand it, it was Trent's way of making sure fans knew what was a legit release & what was a bootleg.

[quote name='PhrostByte']So you guys ever listen to the non-album Halo's? crym already mentioned Broken... that's a great one, another one of my favorite's is Things Falling Apart. (I love the song "Into the Void" and its remixes)[/QUOTE]

Yes. :cool: :lol:

Broken is incredible ... Things Falling Apart is pretty good, but I haven't listened in a while. I really like Further Down the Spiral V2 as well.

[quote name='PhrostByte']Indeed. What's up with those two cats in your avatar?[/QUOTE] It's just one cat ...

I just thought the glowing eyes were interesting, so I made it my avatar. It's one of my gf's cats.

To keep this on topic, she loves NIN.

My gf, not the cat. I don't know what the cat listens to. :lol:

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']

Broken is incredible ... Things Falling Apart is pretty good, but I haven't listened in a while. I really like Further Down the Spiral V2 as well.[/QUOTE]

I tell you what sblymnl, something about the wrinkles in the sheet between The Fragile and With Teeth reminds me of Natalie Portman. Just thought I would mention that.

[quote name='thater']I tell you what sblymnl, something about the wrinkles in the sheet between The Fragile and With Teeth reminds me of Natalie Portman. Just thought I would mention that.[/QUOTE] ...

What the hell? :lol:

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']It's just one cat ...

I just thought the glowing eyes were interesting, so I made it my avatar. It's one of my gf's cats.

To keep this on topic, she loves NIN.

My gf, not the cat. I don't know what the cat listens to. :lol:[/quote]

I had a girlfriend that loved NIN as much as I did... turns out she was insane... That being said we both liked Moby a lot too... maybe I'm also insane?

[quote name='PhrostByte']I had a girlfriend that loved NIN as much as I did... turns out she was insane... That being said we both liked Moby a lot too... maybe I'm also insane?[/QUOTE] Yeah, that seems to be the way it goes. :lol:

Well, today's the day!!!

Anyone know if the Hot Topic deal works in-store, or if it's online only? Supposedly you can get any NIN shirt for $9.99 with a purchase of the new album (also priced at $9.99).

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']

Broken is incredible ... Things Falling Apart is pretty good, but I haven't listened in a while. I really like Further Down the Spiral V2 as well.[/QUOTE]

Hey, cool idea.

Here's all of my official releases plus a few unofficial in the bottom row.
The top row (next to the turntable mat) is Sin and March Of The Pigs on nine inch vinyl, plus MOTP on seven inch vinyl.

Any NIN fan that doesn't already have the Purest Feeling boot needs to get it for 'Maybe Just Once' and 'Purest Feelilng' plus a drastically different 'Kind Of I Want To'

nin.jpg

[quote name='rabbitt']How does the changing disk cover work? How much heat does it require?[/QUOTE]Well, when I first opened the CD, the disc was black, with "Year Zero" being the only visible text. After playing the CD, the disc was white! Then by the time I got back into my house, the disc was black again. So try looking at the disc after it's been spinning in a player for a while.

btw, that Hot Topic deal IS good in store, in fact they had a very noticeable display for it. The new album and any NIN shirt for $20... it's a very sweet deal, especially considering that the shirts would normally be $18 on their own!

[quote name='BustaUppa']btw, that Hot Topic deal IS good in store, in fact they had a very noticeable display for it. The new album and any NIN shirt for $20... it's a very sweet deal, especially considering that the shirts would normally be $18 on their own![/QUOTE]

It's also on their website.

For $28.99, I got 3 day shipping on Year Zero with the patch and The Presence t-shirt.

untitledju9.jpg

Shipping sucks but at least I didn't have to go across town.

I picked it up earlier today myself, and think it rocks. I also picked up the dual disc version of The Downward Spiral. God damn! That rocks hard as a mother fucker in 5.1!!! There are a ton of elements I've never heard in the 10 years or so of listening to TDS.

[quote name='oleander']Does anyone know why Activision, SCEA, and NoA show up in the booklet? Just curious...[/QUOTE]

Trent loves video games, I know he did the music for Quake and at one point was doing the sound for Doom 3. I saw an interview with him a few years ago on the old TechTV when they were doing E3 coverage and he mentioned that he was hooked on Medal of Honor.

[quote name='rabbitt']How does the changing disk cover work? How much heat does it require?[/QUOTE]

if its sitting in your computers cd tray and not even spinning its enough heat to change it from black to white.

bread's done
Back