Ninokuni: The Another World goes to PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jh6269

CAGiversary!
Wow, this is some shocking but really great news. I saw this game in Nintendo Power, and I have been waiting for this for over a year (I love Studio Ghibli). Now it's been revealed in Famitsu that it's coming to the PS3!

http://kotaku.com/5570373/studio-ghiblis-ds-game-moves-to-playstation-3

Oh man, this is freaking awesome, I hope it comes to the USA.

[quote name='kotaku.com']One of the best-looking games due for the Nintendo DS is now one of the best-looking games due for the PS3, with this weeks' Famitsu reporting that Level 5's Ninokuni is getting a major facelift for a home console. What had been a quaint role-playing game for Nintendo's handheld now, even in awful photos of a magazine on a man's lap, looks stunning on the PS3, Studio Ghibli's (Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke) art design leaping off the page. Imagine how all that animation (Ghibli's animators are working on a ton of material for the game) will look in 1080p on a big screen...
What's more, there's the game's key mechanic to consider: the DS version had the player drawing symbols on the touch-screen to cast spells, which were learned from an actual book included with the game. Could this PS3 version include support for motion controller PlayStation Move?
God, I hope so.
There was no actual information included in the piece aside from the shots and platform reveal (Level 5 has a press conference scheduled for later in the week), so it's unclear whether there's still a DS version coming, or whether it was scrapped in favour of this (which may be likely, considering the lengthy delays affecting the handheld edition). Soon as we know, we'll update you.[/QUOTE]

I love Studio Ghibli's art and animation but it's supposed to be a game and I have no confidence in Level 5 (after the atrocity that was WKC).

I'm interested, but skeptical.

[quote name='Teh Nitwit']I love Studio Ghibli's art and animation but it's supposed to be a game and I have no confidence in Level 5 (after the atrocity that was WKC).

I'm interested, but skeptical.[/QUOTE]

Uh, what did you think they were making for the DS and PS3 if not a game? And you clearly don't know much about Level 5 if you're basing your opinions on that one game. Their catalog is pretty impresssive and includes The Professor Layton series, Jeanne D'arc, Dark Cloud series, and Rogue Galaxy. Those are all top-notch games

[quote name='ssjmichael']Uh, what did you think they were making for the DS and PS3 if not a game? And you clearly don't know much about Level 5 if you're basing your opinions on that one game. Their catalog is pretty impresssive and includes The Professor Layton series, Jeanne D'arc, Dark Cloud series, and Rogue Galaxy. Those are all top-notch games[/QUOTE]

When I said "it's supposed to be a game", I meant to say that since it will be a game, Level 5 will be in charge of its production. It was a redundant thing to say and I apologize for being unclear.

Anyway, a lot more than art and animation goes into a video game and I'm afraid that Level 5 will ruin it.

I'm not basing my opinion on just WKC. I finished (and spent countless hours on) DC2, DQ8, Rogue Galaxy, and Jeanna D'arc. I enjoyed those games but didn't care for their characters and stories. The characters (Max, Jaster, DQ8 hero) lacked depth and the stories well full of stupidity and diarrhea.

In Rogue Galaxy, there was a little crying child looking for his mother or father who we kept running into. In the ending, Jaster saved the galaxy (or at least the planet where Kisala was princess) and despite having feelings for Kisala he allowed himself get kicked off the planet.

In DQ8 the protagonist allowed himself (and his party) to get imprisoned by the known bad guy.

In DC2 you had Max's mother leaving him (and going back to future). Not to mention Max always doing Monica's bidding for no apparent reason (he didn't seem to mind if she left him to return to future).

In Jeanne D'Arc they burned that NPC at the stake. Don't even bother telling me it was for the sake of "Historical accuracy". Heh.

I'm not going to list the flaws with WKC (it would take too long), but I will mention that they had Leonard dance with a hologram on the surface of a lake.

Akihiro Hino is getting senile in his old age and the more he gets involved in the project the more it will suck.

[quote name='Teh Nitwit']I love Studio Ghibli's art and animation but it's supposed to be a game and I have no confidence in Level 5 (after the atrocity that was WKC).

I'm interested, but skeptical.[/QUOTE]
But Layton is so good!

Huh, I didn't realize that Level 5 did more than just the Prof. Layton series... I guess since I never played any of their other games, I just didn't know.

Well anyway, I hope it gets localized. I'm hoping that Studio Ghibli ensures that the game has the same magic as their movies do. I'm also hoping that Level 5 uses some of their Prof. Layton skills for this game, because I love Prof. Layton too.

Here are a few more links:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/23/studio-ghiblis-ni-no-kuni-also-coming-to-ps3/
http://www.destructoid.com/studio-ghibli-level-5-s-the-another-world-ported-to-ps3-177391.phtml

Supposedly Level 5 is going to have a press release this week sometime and we might find out more (cross your fingers for a US release date).

Oh, and Atelier Rorona is also coming to the US on PS3 this Sept... oh man, we're finally getting some JRPGS!

A Studio Ghibli + Level 5 RPG on the PS3? I smell blood in the water over in Japan. That's a serious heavyweight no matter how you look at it. Can't wait for it to get localized!

I think it will be cool if they incorporate Sony Move into the game (as the article suggested), and at the part where the kid draws the symbol, and the wand turns red, the Move controller would also turn red (just like that Sorcery game).

I'll bet Level-5/Ghibli saw the Move and thought it would be a perfect match for this game.

[quote name='jh6269']Huh, I didn't realize that Level 5 did more than just the Prof. Layton series... I guess since I never played any of their other games, I just didn't know.

[/QUOTE]

They also did DQ8 and 9 bro.

Story sounds like typical Level-5 brand of heavy-handed diarrhea. Again you'll control a little kid and this time
not only is his mother dead, but she's dead because of him. Yuck!
Another level-5 turd.

[quote name='Teh Nitwit']Story sounds like typical Level-5 brand of heavy-handed diarrhea. Again you'll control a little kid and this time
not only is his mother dead, but she's dead because of him. Yuck!
Another level-5 turd.[/QUOTE]

fuck. I thought Ghibli might have been a good influence on those story-deficient morons. Guess not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back