Nintendo 3DS $149.99 at Gamestop (2/7 to 2/12)

lross

CAGiversary!
Not sure if this was posted or not, did a quick scan of the first few pages and didn't see anything. Feel free to ridicule and shame if already posted :)

I was at Gamestop this afternoon and noticed a "New Low Price" sticker on the 3DS consoles labeled at $149. Did a quick check of their site and it is indeed being marked as $149 new valid 2/7-2/12. This also happens to include the Pink 3DS that releases on 2/10.

Here is the site link:
http://www.gamestop.com/collection/nintendo-3ds

[quote name='mrx001']I want a 3ds XL.[/QUOTE]

I want this. Give me the best of both worlds. Larger screens of the DSi XL and the new hardware of the 3DS combined.

I've wanted a DSi XL because I mostly game at home. The thing stopping me from buying a DSi XL is I heard that the virtual console can't be played on a DSi system.

I also want the 3DS for the exclusives and the virtual console. I might jump on this 3DS if I manage to gather the funds.

[quote name='mrx001']I want a 3ds XL.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']I want this. Give me the best of both worlds. Larger screens of the DSi XL and the new hardware of the 3DS combined.

I've wanted a DSi XL because I mostly game at home. The thing stopping me from buying a DSi XL is I heard that the virtual console can't be played on a DSi system.

I also want the 3DS for the exclusives and the virtual console. I might jump on this 3DS if I manage to gather the funds.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I also don't want to buy the circle pad pro for a 2nd analog stick because it is way too huge.

I just finished Super Mario 3d Land last night. Buying the system for that game alone is worth it. I also really liked Pilotwings:Resort although that doesn't seem to be how most people feel. This is a great deal but you'll have to buy a better battery, as it sucks.

[quote name='JG5253']Agreed. I also don't want to buy the circle pad pro for a 2nd analog stick because it is way too huge.[/QUOTE]

I kind of forgot about that. Yes add to a 3DS XL, the 2nd circle pad/analog stick built-in.

It would be even more awesome if this 3DS XL had the Gameboy Advance SP slot for older titles (GB/GBC/GBA). Picture this a 3DS (with the 2nd circle pad) the size of a DSi XL with a GBA SP game slot at the bottom.

Then again, that might discourage Gameboy/Gameboy Color/Gameboy Advance titles from being downloaded/offered on the Virtual Console.

So I'd settle with a 3DS the size of a DSi XL with a DS Lite slot for most GBA titles/DS accessories.

I am still catching up on DS library, but I have to admit Nintendo's been aggressive since the cool launch period where it felt had scarce library with high price. If it at $150 bundle this holiday or down to $120-130 range...unless as everyone is saying 3DS v 2.0 comes out this year.

Granted I picked up several $5 3DS games from Best Buy this holiday season, but I still can't bring myself to buy the system when I know an improved 3DS with a second stick is coming in the next 12 months.

The handful of games I really want to play on the system are still too expensive anyway.

[quote name='Doom Kvlt']Nintendo is focused on the Wii U this year, so I wouldn't expect a redesign announcement anytime soon.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm not sure why everyone thinks an updated 3DS is coming this year. It is obvious the focus this year will be on the Wii U. Also, it took two years last time for Nintendo to release an updated DS (and longer than that to release one with additional features.)

While there may be an outside chance that there could be one for the hollidays, I think it is more likely to happen next year.

Nintendo would be dumb to release an updated 3DS right now. Not happening this year. Lowering the price then piss off the consumers that just bought one. Especially parents. Anyways, pretty good price on the 3DS. However i recommend the dsixl instead.

It is foolish to think that a 3DS redesign will come in the next year. People are definitely spoiled by buying new cellphones every year just because of a slightly better feature. For $150, it's a good price, but I don't really want to buy a console from Gamestop anyway.

If Nintendo is losing money on 3DS with its price cut. That is honestly stupid to release a redesign so soon if any redesign at all.

Cool. Let me know when Nintendo releases a symmetrical dual analog nub 3DS for $150 and I'll think about it. Has anyone cracked the 3DS firmware yet to play imported games? My second biggest 3DS peeve after the non-lefty friendly non-symmetrical 3DS was the Region Locking.

At $150, its a steal. Get it with an eshop points card and download pushmo and sakura samurai or mutant mudd. I would bet a similar sale will go on around April to catch all that tax return money.

I personally think the redesign is E3 bound with a release shortly after. Price is likely to be $169 with the current model dropping permanently to $129-$149 until all units are officially sold out. With what is in the queue now, manufacturing has likely already shifted to the re-design. Keep in mind, the redesign will likely also help bring costs down as companies often find cheaper components (lcd screens, speakers, chips, etc) for their updated consoles so they may actually make $ off this one out of the gate.

I wish we could have a pool on when the redesign and when the release will happen so people can put their money where their mouth is. I'm so sick of hearing every opinion of tom dick and jane on the 3DS redesign. Unless you have actual insight into it and not just rumors, hearsay, and wags, your thoughts on the redesign are about as accurate as throwing a dart at a calendar.

I am still not interested. I mean I want to play Mario and Layton and a few others...but that screen is just soooo tiny. It is hard with an Ipad and a XL to justify getting a 3DS. Also WTF why has the XL STILL not dropped in price. It makes me wonder if its selling really well or something because it is an old system selling at new system prices!

[quote name='ABVN']If Nintendo is losing money on 3DS with its price cut. That is honestly stupid to release a redesign so soon if any redesign at all.[/QUOTE]

It is not. As I recall the cost of materials is $107 (roughly, and from memory).

[quote name='ZForce915']It is not. As I recall the cost of materials is $107 (roughly, and from memory).[/QUOTE]

From their last investor conference, they said they expect the hardware to be profitable starting around holiday season this year.

Bill of materials is never a good indication of total cost. There is the manufacturing, marketing and shipping costs to be taken into account (not counting the currency fluctuations).

Only game I'm really excited for is Animal Crossing. Got other games I'd like to play as well but those can wait..
But if it comes out before the re-design I'm going to have to buy one soon lol.
Hope it drops to 120 or so by then.

[quote name='ZForce915']It is not. As I recall the cost of materials is $107 (roughly, and from memory).[/QUOTE]

[quote name='whatsinaname']From their last investor conference, they said they expect the hardware to be profitable starting around holiday season this year.

Bill of materials is never a good indication of total cost. There is the manufacturing, marketing and shipping costs to be taken into account (not counting the currency fluctuations).[/QUOTE]

Spot on.

[quote name='whatsinaname']From their last investor conference, they said they expect the hardware to be profitable starting around holiday season this year.

Bill of materials is never a good indication of total cost. There is the manufacturing, marketing and shipping costs to be taken into account (not counting the currency fluctuations).[/QUOTE]

That's why I was specific in noting that this was the cost of materials and not a total cost.

[quote name='confoosious']I wish we could have a pool on when the redesign and when the release will happen so people can put their money where their mouth is. I'm so sick of hearing every opinion of tom dick and jane on the 3DS redesign. Unless you have actual insight into it and not just rumors, hearsay, and wags, your thoughts on the redesign are about as accurate as throwing a dart at a calendar.[/QUOTE]

I would gladly take the bet on a re-design based off of historical data :)

History and Nintendo have proven, they will re-design and do it often. Look at the number of Gameboy's and DS' that have hit the market over the past 10 years.

GameBoy Systems - Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advanced, Gameboy Advanced SP, Gameboy Micro.

DS Systems - DS, DS Lite, DSi XL, 3DS, ??

Still feel like making a bet? :)

[quote name='confoosious']I wish we could have a pool on when the redesign and when the release will happen so people can put their money where their mouth is. I'm so sick of hearing every opinion of tom dick and jane on the 3DS redesign. Unless you have actual insight into it and not just rumors, hearsay, and wags, your thoughts on the redesign are about as accurate as throwing a dart at a calendar.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='lross']I would gladly take the bet on a re-design based off of historical data :)

History and Nintendo have proven, they will re-design and do it often. Look at the number of Gameboy's and DS' that have hit the market over the past 10 years.

GameBoy Systems - Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advanced, Gameboy Advanced SP, Gameboy Micro.

Still feel like making a bet? :)[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure he is more concerned with the time in between re-designs. It's too soon for a 3DS re-design judging from Nintendo's past.

[quote name='ABVN']I'm pretty sure he is more concerned with the time in between re-designs. It's too soon for a 3DS re-design judging from Nintendo's past.[/QUOTE]

bingo. Yet, everyone is convinced there will be a redesign by E3. With nothing to support it.

[quote name='lross']I would gladly take the bet on a re-design based off of historical data :)

Still feel like making a bet? :)[/QUOTE]

I agree that under normal circumstances, Nintendo would churn out several 3DS redesigns to stimulate people "re-buying" the handheld (as they did with DS/DSLite/DSi/DSiXL). However, the 3DS did not sell at the release pricepoint well at all, and they had to slash the price to get them to move. Now that they lose money on every 3DS sold, I think it is very unlikely that they'll expend a large amount of money on a redesign; they just have nothing to gain from it right now, and would lose a lot more money than they already have (and piss off a lot of the early adopters of the 3DS). Nintendo is in a tough position right now; losing money on each 3DS, and watching declining sales of the older platforms (DS series and Wii). They bled out $2.5 billion of reserves in just one year; starting with $9.8 (!) billion, they are now down to $7.3 billion. They can certainly absorb more losses with those huge reserves still in place, but a 3DS redesign would just accelerate the losses, not slow them down.

And before people jump on me for not pointing it out; Sony is also losing huge sums of money, and are not in a good position at all right now. I do think the Vita is a much better designed device than the 3DS, but with its high price-point it may be a difficult product to sell in large quantities. Sony is certainly in trouble, and they aren't sitting on a big pile of cash reserves like Nintendo, even though that pile is shrinking pretty rapidly.

For Nintendo I think it comes down to the Wii U (or whatever they end up calling it); they are betting on that console to resurrect their profitability. If it doesn't, then Nintendo is going to have a rough time turning things around. A 3DS redesign, much as it is needed due to the poor original design (especially the missing 2nd analog nub), is just not going to help them in the short run.

Picked up the Black One at BB @ that price. Simply had them price match it online and it was done. Used up gift cards from XMAS and the Pre-order/Buy 5 get $100 promo from late last year. Snagged Resident Evil Revevlations along with it -didnt pay out of pocket at all. NOTE: associate i dealt with used mobile version of gamestop site(he checked using his cell) and it only showed the original blue/black at that price. The MAIN SITE showed all 4 colors at the 149 price so be aware.

a redesign by christmas makes sense but not anytime sooner than that. no reason for them to do it right now when it's selling to their expectations and software sales are flying upwards with 'em too. they lose money on each 3DS but that won't be the case halfway through the year anymore, and the entire goal is to get people to buy to software in order to recoup the damage, which has been a success thus far.
also, don't misunderstand the biggest issue both sony and nintendo face: the yen. yen is strong, other currencies aren't. they're still making boatloads of profit as a company, just not as many as they would like.

Reissue coming soon. Only a sucker would buy it at this point*

*not implying you're a sucker if you already bought it. Just from this point forward. Could the writing on the wall be any more obvious?

[quote name='heybtbm']Reissue coming soon. Only a sucker would buy it at this point*

*not implying you're a sucker if you already bought it. Just from this point forward. Could the writing on the wall be any more obvious?[/QUOTE]

...or maybe Nintendo want to play dirty and twist the knife currently in Sonys gut.

[quote name='heybtbm']Reissue coming soon. Only a sucker would buy it at this point*

*not implying you're a sucker if you already bought it. Just from this point forward. Could the writing on the wall be any more obvious?[/QUOTE]

When will this reissue be here?

If you look at Nintendo's history, they pretty much release a new model of a handheld every two years. So I fully expect we'll see a dual-analog 3DS by next year, probably even hear about it this year at E3, or more likely Tokyo Game Show.

[quote name='Sharkey1337']If you look at Nintendo's history, they pretty much release a new model of a handheld every two years. So I fully expect we'll see a dual-analog 3DS by next year, probably even hear about it this year at E3, or more likely Tokyo Game Show.[/QUOTE]

You also have to take into account that the Wii U is Nintendos focus for this year. Also, more importantly the 3DS is finally doing well in sales; why would Nintendo want to fuck that up?

[quote name='radioactivez0r']Seems like Michael Pachter created a bunch of accounts and came on here to give his opinion.[/QUOTE]

He might have cloned himself like Multiplicity and each one got progressively dumber.

There's not going to be a redesign this year.... Nintendo wants to launch a home console,not reissue a handheld that is already selling well, in the same year? They love to do revisions to boost sales, and sales are pretty damn good where they are for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone thinking that there will be a redesign this year will be disappointed. Nintendo is releasing the Wii U later this year. Why would Nintendo compete with itself? The 3DS is building a strong software library and will probably continue to grossly outsell the Vita until a seemingly inevitable Vita price drop later this year. You should make your purchasing decision based on the games that are out now and coming throughout this year.

Look, even if there is a redesign, you can probably trade-in or sell the other model for a fair price. You can treat this one as a rental. Obviously, if you download games (I have the ambassador games on mine) you lose those, but otherwise why not get while the getting is good if you're interested in the product?

[quote name='DarkZero104']no reason for them to do it right now when it's selling to their expectations and software sales are flying upwards with 'em too.[/QUOTE]
Wrong on both counts, Nintendo is hurting for money right now and the 3DS (+software) isn't selling well enough to cover their losses.

Nintendo has had to restructure it's building plans, get rid of some employees, and change their benifiets packages around the globe.

I expect a newer 3DS is going to be right down the road since now games are going to offer up second thumbstick options.

The WiiU is not enough to offset the disaster that Nintnedo is facing, they're hurting and the only way to save themselves is new hardware and hope they can hold off cell phones another year or two until they can get a better grasp on their financial problems.

[quote name='Achilles00']Look, even if there is a redesign, you can probably trade-in or sell the other model for a fair price. You can treat this one as a rental. Obviously, if you download games (I have the ambassador games on mine) you lose those, but otherwise why not get while the getting is good if you're interested in the product?[/QUOTE]
Why get a system and start a backlog of games (that include digital ones you'll lose) when a new system will be months away?

There's not one member here that doesn't have a backlog

[quote name='Jaysonguy']Wrong on both counts, Nintendo is hurting for money right now and the 3DS (+software) isn't selling well enough to cover their losses.

Nintendo has had to restructure it's building plans, get rid of some employees, and change their benifiets packages around the globe.

I expect a newer 3DS is going to be right down the road since now games are going to offer up second thumbstick options.

The WiiU is not enough to offset the disaster that Nintnedo is facing, they're hurting and the only way to save themselves is new hardware and hope they can hold off cell phones another year or two until they can get a better grasp on their financial problems.[/QUOTE]

You know it costs a lot of money to engineer and build a new product, right? While I could see them working on ways to make the current 3DS cheaper making sense, designing a whole new handheld at this point makes very little sense, particularly if they are telling people that the 3DS will start turning a profit in December.

While the launch of the 3DS was a disaster, Nintendo's response has saved some face. Cutting the price while giving free games to early adopters helped get them back on track. Mario Kart and Super Mario Land 3D has also helped. The 3DS is selling and the games are selling as well. They just aren't making as much money off of that as they planned.

As for Wii U, there isn't enough known to make any prediction either way about it. In my eyes, it will mostly have to do with what they have at launch for it.

So, I just bought a 3DS mostly because my DSlite is deteriorating in real-time. What game should I get? I'm torn between Mario Kart, Zelda, and Mario 3D Land.

bread's done
Back