Nintendo 3DS $149.99 at Gamestop (2/7 to 2/12)

lross

CAGiversary!
Not sure if this was posted or not, did a quick scan of the first few pages and didn't see anything. Feel free to ridicule and shame if already posted :)

I was at Gamestop this afternoon and noticed a "New Low Price" sticker on the 3DS consoles labeled at $149. Did a quick check of their site and it is indeed being marked as $149 new valid 2/7-2/12. This also happens to include the Pink 3DS that releases on 2/10.

Here is the site link:
http://www.gamestop.com/collection/nintendo-3ds

[quote name='Throwerguy']So, I just bought a 3DS mostly because my DSlite is deteriorating in real-time. What game should I get? I'm torn between Mario Kart, Zelda, and Mario 3D Land.[/QUOTE]

If you've not played Zelda get it otherwise Mario 3D Land.

I am not saying a redesign will come by Xmas, I am saying it will come at some point. Somehow I can't see Nintendo making this system last 5 years without the inevitable redesign. I am saturated with portables here so I am more than willing to wait 2+ years for a better system. Also not crazy about the low screen quality, I have an iPod touch and any DS system is painful to look at after using the iPod touch. It seems more likely they would make a 3DS XL in order to fit in the extra analog stick, which would be fine.

Also ever notice how the old model is immediately forgotten once the new one comes out? I mean who talks about the phat DS now, it plays games just as good as a DS Lite but its all been forgotten now. If you are have an old NIntendo handheld its immediately forgotten once the new one gets released and you are living in the past if you have one and still play games on it.

Most people who bought the 3DS this holiday season probably didn't even know about it last March when it was released at a high price point and failing to sell miserably, so with that it was easy for them to save face by lowering the price. Honestly release price and model of a console these days is for those that have to have it first and will pay the premium to get it, the rest of us can wait for the inevitable price drop or redesign. But they did notice it at the lower price point and that is what matters.

[quote name='SaraAB']I am not saying a redesign will come by Xmas, I am saying it will come at some point. Somehow I can't see Nintendo making this system last 5 years without the inevitable redesign.[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone has made the claim that it won't happen at some point. The point under debate is whether it is happening soon. (i.e. this year) That is what I doubt will happen.

Damn I want a 3DS for some of the games but honestly I've been anticipating the Vita since it was announced and I want to pick that up first.

[quote name='confoosious']I heard a rumor that they're gonna redesign the iphone eventually.[/QUOTE]

Leaked information?!?! Inside scoop?!?!

UPDATED Inside Info: They are trying to get the redesign in time to beat the Sony ViPhone. Apple usually refreshes iphones once a year but I heard that this time, they're only gonna take 4 months. Based on my own doodling, they've added an analog stick on the right side of the iphone. And maybe one in the middle.

I GUARANTEE this is going to happen. My qualifications you ask? I saw an iphone in the store once. I am smart. S-M-R-T smart.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']Why get a system and start a backlog of games (that include digital ones you'll lose) when a new system will be months away?

There's not one member here that doesn't have a backlog[/QUOTE]

My response was to those who say they want it and want to play the games, but they're not sure if they should get it now. My point is that if you want to play the games, buy them and play them. Certainly, if you're not going to play the games right away, then there would be no point in getting the system. I'm not trying to stack cards here.

[quote name='spydey']If you've not played Zelda get it otherwise Mario 3D Land.[/QUOTE]

That's what I've decided on. I still have my N64 Zelda and wanna try something new

Mario 3d land is fun but really easy. The levels are super short and it has some replayability, but it didn't quite meet my expectations the way that new super Mario bros. did on the DS. It's a good game but I don't know if it's one i'll end up keeping in my collection after I beat it. LoZ looks incredible when you consider its age.

Honestly, RE Revlaitons is the hot new thing that everyone should be grabbing with their new 3DS - a return to more traditional RE gameplay, co-op, and a new game plus mode with unlockable hell mode ... that's a great value if you like RE.

I am going to get this now. I waited a year, the price dropped to 150, and with my BB gift cards I'll snag this for around 80. I'll do the same thing for Vita whent aht drops and I'll be the beneficiary of two steals. I never get got by game companies.

[quote name='Capocci 007']I never get got by game companies.[/QUOTE]

Really? Shiiiiiiiiiit, if someone would've told me that buying games was as dangerous as hanging out on the corners with poot and bodie, I'd take it more seriously.

[quote name='Capocci 007']you cleary didn't understand me lol

should i have gotten the best buy warranty or is it just a waste of $70? It sounds like a waste.[/QUOTE]

Definitely a waste of $70 ... I think their old warranties were decent but only because they could be abused by people who would swap out systems with no questions asked. Their new warranty systems requires having the item shipped to a central Geek Squad facility and then processed. If it can't be repaired, then they give you a credit after however long all that takes. Best to avoid it imo.

I understood you. I was just making fun of you. "Get got"

that-word-inigo-montoya-word-think-means-princess-bride-mand-demotivational-poster-1260739585.jpg

And never buy an extended warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='detectiveconan16']fuck Yeah confoosious in for 3.
I'm also waiting for a PS3 slim redesign. Since everybody's expecting a 3DS redesign why not this?[/QUOTE]

I want a PS3 but I am definitely waiting for the holidays, when I will have enough money saved up to get it and a couple games on sale. Console redesigns seem less like, I gotta have it since its a machine that is just used to play games, and most likely doesn't have any major additions that impact functionality like handhelds do. I really don't care if it gets redesigned, just hope if it does then they don't remove more features.

Hmm, I have to amend my earlier statement about Mario 3D Land ... replayability is actually pretty high with the special worlds that unlock after the main game and those are pretty challenging. I don't want to spoil anything, but let's just say that Mario gameplay takes on a whole new feeling when something that can kill you is chasing you through a level. ;)

[quote name='etcrane']Hmm, I have to amend my earlier statement about Mario 3D Land ... replayability is actually pretty high with the special worlds that unlock after the main game and those are pretty challenging. I don't want to spoil anything, but let's just say that Mario gameplay takes on a whole new feeling when something that can kill you is chasing you through a level. ;)[/QUOTE]

That sound a lot more like what I heard on the Bombcast a few weeks ago; earlier I was like what, it was easy!?

[quote name='radioactivez0r']That sound a lot more like what I heard on the Bombcast a few weeks ago; earlier I was like what, it was easy!?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the levels for the main game are pretty easy and they're a bit shorter than past Mario games, but when I originally posted I was on the last set of main levels. I knew that new levels unlocked after you beat the game but I didn't realize it was all of the levels with new enemies and new powerups, I was expecting maybe 10 or 20 new levels and not a complete run with more challenge. Pretty cool stuff, so between that and Revelations, it's a good time to pick up a 3DS.

great time to get in on the system with deals like this. also the big games are beginning to hit the systems as well.

[quote name='SaraAB']Also ever notice how the old model is immediately forgotten once the new one comes out? I mean who talks about the phat DS now, it plays games just as good as a DS Lite but its all been forgotten now. If you are have an old NIntendo handheld its immediately forgotten once the new one gets released and you are living in the past if you have one and still play games on it.[/QUOTE]

Not everyone forgets about the old system. I've been trying to find one on ebay for a while now. Most go for around $40. Then again, I play games from all generations. Guess I'm living in the past too. That's ok, it's not as expensive to live in the past.

Mario 3D Land is a great game....for about 18 hours. That's how long it took me to beat every main level and every bonus level. Now, the only time I put the game in is when I get a streetpass hit on it.

[quote name='Capocci 007']thanks fellas... I'm glad I didn't get got by buying that Best Buy warranty

;)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, never go for extended warranties. Sure, they can be handy if a device goes bad, but I think it makes so much more sense to do it differently. If you have a device you're debating an extended warranty for, just put how much money the warranty would have cost away. Set it aside somewhere. Do this for all devices you're interested in protecting.

Even in doing this for a few devices you will have enough money to replace one, should one break. It's pretty unlikely all of them will break. And if none of them break, you haven't lost any money gambling on warranties.

It's like your own insurance policy.

If you really want an extended warranty, get one from Squaretrade. Honestly though, Nintendo would probably charge you around $70 to get that system repaired should you choose not to buy the extended warranty. That is if you have it repaired out of warranty and they charge you a repair fee. Nintendo gives a 1 year warranty on all consoles and you get an extension if you register on club nintendo. I wouldn't buy a warranty on Nintendo products, there really is no need to, since they have pretty great customer service. So put $70-80 aside and hope for the best.

I want to buy a DS, don't really care if it's 3ds or regular old ds, they still haven't dropped the price on the DSi, or XL which is dame shame. The system cost to manufacturer should be well enough to pass more savings to consumers by now.

[quote name='etcrane']Hmm, I have to amend my earlier statement about Mario 3D Land ... replayability is actually pretty high with the special worlds that unlock after the main game and those are pretty challenging. I don't want to spoil anything, but let's just say that Mario gameplay takes on a whole new feeling when something that can kill you is chasing you through a level. ;)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='radioactivez0r']That sound a lot more like what I heard on the Bombcast a few weeks ago; earlier I was like what, it was easy!?[/QUOTE]

Shadow Mario is a pain when you're trying to get all the star coins in a level. I tried to get all the star coins the first time through and then went through again to flagpole the levels as both Mario and Luigi. After I got all the star coins and was repeating the level it was pretty easy to avoid Shadow Mario most of the time.

Can someone give an honest comment regarding the top screen scratching the bottom screen "issue" of the 3DS? Is that really an issue? The demo units in the stores are obviously not a good way to tell... thanks in advance!

[quote name='Serpentor']Can someone give an honest comment regarding the top screen scratching the bottom screen "issue" of the 3DS? Is that really an issue? The demo units in the stores are obviously not a good way to tell... thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

It can be an issue if you let them set in. I started getting the smudges and put two rubber feet from an old ds lite on the system to keep the screens from touching. After a while, I wanted a better solution and decided to do the "wii tape trick" to seperate them. Got a pink 3ds for my wife this past Christmas. Nintendo had lengthened the bumpers so I didn't have to do the tape trick again.

[quote name='Serpentor']Can someone give an honest comment regarding the top screen scratching the bottom screen "issue" of the 3DS? Is that really an issue? The demo units in the stores are obviously not a good way to tell... thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

I've had mine since launch and it hasn't been an issue for me. I get smudges on tw top screen, but that's it. No scratches or anything that's caused me any concern.

[quote name='omyard']I've had mine since launch and it hasn't been an issue for me. I get smudges on tw top screen, but that's it. No scratches or anything that's caused me any concern.[/QUOTE]
Thank you, I will take your words for it, the Newegg two stars comment really bothers me, probably from a troll. I'll get one from BB or something, it seems Newegg got the "dead on arrival" review as well...

Just get a top screen protector to help alleviate any worries of the top screen scratching due to the bottom screen. I got the Hori ones on Amazon and they work flawlessly, even if I can see a slight scratch of 2 vertical lines in the top protector but not the screen itself. I just bought my Aqua blue 3DS 2 months ago too.

bread's done
Back