Launch Date March 27, 2011

Price $249.99 MSRP*

Included in Hardware The following is included in the hardware set:
  1. Nintendo 3DS system
  2. Nintendo 3DS charging cradle
  3. Nintendo 3DS AC adapter
  4. Nintendo 3DS stylus
  5. SD Memory Card (2GB)
  6. AR Card(s) (view the cards using the outer cameras to play supported AR games)
  7. Quick-Start Guide
  8. Operations Manual (including warranty)

Characteristic Features
  1. 3D screen, enabling 3D view without the need for special glasses and the ability to adjust or turn off 3D effect with the 3D Depth Slider.
  2. Stereo cameras that enable users to take 3D photos that can be viewed instantly on the 3D screen.
  3. New input interfaces including the Circle Pad, motion sensor, gyro sensor
  4. SpotPass, a feature that lets Nintendo 3DS detect wireless hotspots or wireless LAN access points and obtain information, game data, free software, videos and so on for players even when the system is in sleep mode.**
  5. StreetPass, a feature that lets Nintendo 3DS exchange data automatically with other Nintendo 3DS systems within range, even in sleep mode once this feature is activated by the user. Data for multiple games can be exchanged simultaneously.
  6. Convenient features that users can access without stopping game play such as the HOME menu, Internet Brower, Notifications, etc.
  7. Plenty of built-in software such as the Nintendo 3DS Camera, Nintendo 3DS Sound, Mii Maker, StreetPass, Mii Plaza, AR Games, Activity Log, Face Raiders, etc.
  8. Nintendo eShop where users can view trailers, software rankings and purchase software.
  9. System Transfer which enable users to transfer already purchased software from one Nintendo 3DS system to another. DSiWare purchased for the Nintendo DSi or the Nintendo DSi XL can also be transferred into a Nintendo 3DS system.***
  10. Compatibility functions where both new software designed for Nintendo 3DS and most software for the Nintendo DS family of systems can be played.
  11. Parental Controls which enable parents to restrict game content by ratings as well as use of specific wireless connectivity, 3D functionality, etc.****

Size (when closed) 2.9 inches high, 5.3 inches long, 0.8 inches deep.

Weight Approximately 8 ounces (including battery pack, stylus, SD memory card).

Upper Screen Wide-screen LCD display, enabling 3D view without the need for special glasses. Capable of displaying approximately 16.77 million colors. 3.53 inches display (3.02 inches wide, 1.81 inches high) with 800 x 240 pixel resolution. 400 pixels are allocated to each eye to enable 3D viewing.

Lower Screen LCD with a touch screen capable of displaying 16.77 million colors. 3.02 inches (2.42 inches wide, 1.81 inches high) with 320 x 240 pixel resolution.

Cameras One inner camera and two outer cameras. Resolutions are 640 x 480 for each camera. Lens are single focus and uses the CMOS capture element. The active pixel count is approximately 300,000 pixels.

Wireless Communication 2.4 GHz. Enabling local wireless communication among multiple Nintendo 3DS systems for game play and StreetPass. Enabling access to the Internet through wireless LAN access points (supports IEEE802.11 b/g with the WPA™/WPA2™ security feature). Recommended distance of wireless communication is within 98.4 feet. This can be shorter depending on the enviromental situation. WPA and WPA2 are marks of the Wi-Fi Alliance.

Input Controls Input controls are the following:
  1. A/B/X/Y Button, +Control Pad, L/R Button, START/SELECT
  2. Circle Pad (enabling 360-degree analog input)
  3. Touch screen
  4. Embedded microphone
  5. Camera
  6. Motion sensor
  7. Gyro sensor

Other Input Controls Other input controls are the following:
  1. 3D Depth Slider (enabling smooth adjustment of the 3D level effect)
  2. HOME (HOME button brings up the HOME menu)
  3. Wireless switch (can disable wireless functionality even during game play)
  4. POWER button

Connector Connector includes:
  1. Game Card slot
  2. SD Card slot
  3. Cradle connector
  4. AC adapter connector
  5. Audio jack (stereo output)

Sound Stereo speakers positioned to the left and right of the top screen (supports virtual surround sound).

Stylus Telescoping stylus (approximately 3.94 inches when fully extended).

Electric Power AC adaptor (WAP-002 [USA]). Nintendo 3DS Battery Pack (lithium ion battery) [CTR-003].

Charge Time About 3.5 hours

Battery Duration When playing Nintendo 3DS software about 3-5 hours. When playing Nintendo DS software about 5-8 hours. Battery duration differs depending on the brightness setting of the screen. The information regarding battery duration is a rough standard. It can be shorter depending on what functions of the Nintendo 3DS system are used.

Game Card Nintendo 3DS Game Card. The size is approximately the same as Nintendo DS Game Card.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Vader582']I call bullshit on that.
You love to see yourself type and you have to comment on every goddamn thing. No doubt, you'll make an appearance in that thread, when it pops up.

Query: Aren't you just as "lame" for responding to every Tom, Dick and Harry that says something you don't like?
The correct answer is: Yes. :D[/QUOTE]

^^^^AMEN. If anyone threadcrapped here, it was confoosius . . . he must have posted half the replies in this thread, and almost every single post was hate directed towards anything negative posted about the 3DS. He doesn't seem to understand that people can have DIFFERENT opinions from him; so if anyone trashed up this thread, he did.

Back to the subject of PSP2 vs. 3DS, I was shocked at the specs of the PSP2 (5" AMOLED screen?!?!). Nintendo could have and should have put a biggger, better quality screen in the 3DS (their screen is only 3.5" LCD). Watch for a better screen down the line in a 3DS Lite, despite what Iwata says!

[quote name='Vader582']I call bullshit on that.
You love to see yourself type and you have to comment on every goddamn thing. No doubt, you'll make an appearance in that thread, when it pops up.

Query: Aren't you just as "lame" for responding to every Tom, Dick and Harry that says something you don't like?
The correct answer is: Yes. :D[/QUOTE]

AMEN. If anyone threadcrapped here, it was Confoosius; he must have half the posts in this thread. Every single comment about the 3DS that wasn't super positive got a defensive response from him. Even my reasonable comments about the lack of a higher quality AMOLED or Super LCD screen, just a few posts ago, got a comment from him "who cares".

Again I will say that the 3DS screen at only 3.5" and regular LCD is far below what it should have been for a new handheld at this time. For Nintendo to charge $250 for a device with this kind of substandard screen is really ridiculous, 3D gimmick or not.

*looks around*

oh right. i'm in a 3DS preorder thread and *I'm* the threadcrapper. :roll:

You trolling idiots come in here blasting everything about the 3DS and I'm the fanboy.

Find me a post where I say the 3DS is the best thing since slice bread. Nor do I bash the PSP2. Yet somehow, I'm the fanboy. :roll:

A 4" IPS screen or larger would be great, though I assume the DS XL uses TN and they're really nice quality screens.

3.5" is just too small though to me for a game system now...I mean I'll put up with it, but considering the PSP has had 4.3 for SEVEN YEARS...

Dang, I see the PSP2's specs were just unveiled. No screen size given, but it looks awesome in pictures...LOOKS like it's bigger. Hope it uses activation free retail games whatever form they are. I don't know, I think I'm just sticking with my PSP/DS/PSP2 since I don't want "3D" and there are all these reports already of people feeling like crap from it.

[quote name='Wolfpup']A 4" IPS screen or larger would be great, though I assume the DS XL uses TN and they're really nice quality screens.

3.5" is just too small though to me for a game system now...I mean I'll put up with it, but considering the PSP has had 4.3 for SEVEN YEARS...

Dang, I see the PSP2's specs were just unveiled. No screen size given, but it looks awesome in pictures...LOOKS like it's bigger. Hope it uses activation free retail games whatever form they are. I don't know, I think I'm just sticking with my PSP/DS/PSP2 since I don't want "3D" and there are all these reports already of people feeling like crap from it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah everything I'm hearing about the 3D is it gets you sick. Its not even out in japan yet so once it releases we will see. It makes sense though as you'd think extended time viewing 3D would put a strain on your eyes at least that's what you'd think. Also how they give you the option to turn 3D off sounds extremely gimmicky to me. At that point if you play like that all it is, is a regular DS with a bigger screen playing the next gen ports. I wish they made nintendo Wii motion controls optional as well lol.

[quote name='needler420']Yeah everything I'm hearing about the 3D is it gets you sick. Its not even out in japan yet so once it releases we will see. It makes sense though as you'd think extended time viewing 3D would put a strain on your eyes at least that's what you'd think. Also how they give you the option to turn 3D off sounds extremely gimmicky to me. At that point if you play like that all it is, is a regular DS with a bigger screen playing the next gen ports.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo recommends not playing games with the 3D on for more than a measly 30 minutes, then after each 30 minutes they want you to take a 15 minute break.

On top of that, if you don't hold the system firmly in 1 spot with 3D on you're going to have to re-adjust to it and you'll likely have a headache.

And they're going to sell the system on that gimmick....

[quote name='confoosious']*looks around*

oh right. i'm in a 3DS preorder thread and *I'm* the threadcrapper. :roll:

You trolling idiots come in here blasting everything about the 3DS and I'm the fanboy.

Find me a post where I say the 3DS is the best thing since slice bread. Nor do I bash the PSP2. Yet somehow, I'm the fanboy. :roll:[/QUOTE]
For the record, I never said you were a fanboy, just a prick. :D

And again, for the record, I never "blasted" anything about the 3DS other than the Nintendo PR department and their manipulation of the media regarding the MSRP.

[quote name='tmacairjordan87']Nintendo recommends not playing games with the 3D on for more than a measly 30 minutes, then after each 30 minutes they want you to take a 15 minute break.

On top of that, if you don't hold the system firmly in 1 spot with 3D on you're going to have to re-adjust to it and you'll likely have a headache.

And they're going to sell the system on that gimmick....[/QUOTE]

That's insane if that's true 30 minutes isn't all that long at all in fact its so short most people's sessions go longer then that unless there timing themselves. That be like 3D tv's needing a break from 3D every hour when movies are two hours. I can see lawsuits coming specially if it is really damaging to the eyes. Its going to be like the laser pen days in middle school again.

[quote name='tmacairjordan87']Nintendo recommends not playing games with the 3D on for more than a measly 30 minutes, then after each 30 minutes they want you to take a 15 minute break.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo has always been extra paranoid with their warnings. Even with the regular DS, they recommended taking a 10-15 minute break every hour. They're just covering their asses so that no one can claim to have been "injured" by the system and sue them.

[quote name='trip1eX']How touchy is the viewing angle? How much does 3d drag down the image quality? CAn you have really fast paced action and 3d?[/QUOTE]I was just listening to this week's Bombcast and they addressed a few of those issues. They said that if you move the 3DS even a bit during gameplay it can break the 3D effect. DOA goes from 30 frames/sec with 3D to 60 frames/sec without it. It was also said that the 3D proved less than ideal for a faster game like Ridge Racer (though I guess that could be a problem with just that particular game).

It makes sense though i can see why they say it gets you sick it probably messes your equilibrium up. Just sounds to scary to be the early adopters for it when it sounds like there is a potential harm that can happen down the road.

I see it all the time with people's and listening to music.

[quote name='arcane93']Nintendo has always been extra paranoid with their warnings. Even with the regular DS, they recommended taking a 10-15 minute break every hour. They're just covering their asses so that no one can claim to have been "injured" by the system and sue them.[/QUOTE]

The difference is the 3DS is already being reported to be causing problems for developers and journalists, and "3D" in general causes problems for a huge percent of the population, and that's from far less viewing than you do sometimes on a game system. I can't imagine if I spent 6 hours with this thing considering how I was after 2 hours of Avatar.

[quote name='needler420']It makes sense though i can see why they say it gets you sick it probably messes your equilibrium up. Just sounds to scary to be the early adopters for it when it sounds like there is a potential harm that can happen down the road.

I see it all the time with people's and listening to music.[/QUOTE]

I don't think anything serious will happen to anyone. Most people will probably just get headaches and/or a little sick.

Then they will realize that on top of that they're taking extreme performance hits in their games and add all of that together to decide that 3D is a waste and just play all their games with the slider off.

[quote name='tmacairjordan87']I don't think anything serious will happen to anyone. Most people will probably just get headaches and/or a little sick.

Then they will realize that on top of that they're taking extreme performance hits in their games and add all of that together to decide that 3D is a waste and just play all their games with the slider off.[/QUOTE]

The definition of a gimmick.

And we don't know of anything serious will happen. Doubt anyone thought Pokemon could give thousands of people seizures, but it did.

This'll be the first time many people are really sitting there for hours watching stuff in '3D' (or with this type of screen for that matter). Do we really know if your vision goes back to normal after this, if you keep exposing yourself? Like mine was screwed up for over 6 hours after Avatar, and I was honestly scared if I'd ever see right again...obviously never had anything like that happen before "3D". But if I were to do that for hours on end, day after day? Would there really be no repressions?

[quote name='Wolfpup']I can't imagine if I spent 6 hours with this thing considering how I was after 2 hours of Avatar.[/QUOTE]

It's funny, I have no problem whatsoever with 3D movies, but give me an FPS, and I'll be sick within about 15 minutes. Fortunately, I don't care much for FPS games anyway, though I would have liked to have been able to play Fallout 3. I wonder whether 3D would make FPS games better or worse for me.

That being said, the main reason that I'm feeling doubtful about claims about the 3DS making people sick being as serious a problem as it's being made out to be. . . It's a 3.5 inch screen. It's not going to be the same kind of immersive experience that a 70 foot movie theater screen (or even a 46 inch TV) is.

[quote name='arcane93']That being said, the main reason that I'm feeling doubtful about claims about the 3DS making people sick being as serious a problem as it's being made out to be. . . It's a 3.5 inch screen. It's not going to be the same kind of immersive experience that a 70 foot movie theater screen (or even a 46 inch TV) is.[/QUOTE]

Claims are being made by developers and critics...I seriously doubt they're making that up.

[quote name='tmacairjordan87']When you put it that way, I dunno I guess we'll find out. Let's all be on the safe side and play in 2D :)[/QUOTE]

I just hope it really is like a normal screen with "3D" disabled. Hell Nintendo, sell me a 5" 3DS with an IPS instead of TN "3D" screen and I'll preorder now for $350.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Claims are being made by developers and critics...I seriously doubt they're making that up.
[/QUOTE]
But those groups are comprised of tons of nerds, which we all know already have numerous preexisting health issues. :lol:

Their inability to handle 3D is next to their gene for asthma. :eek:

I am curious how developers are going to handle having to support both 3D and 2D. Will the image have more detail and clarity in 2D mode because of the essentially doubled horizontal resolution, or will they just double the pixels horizontally (which would, I would think, make the image look pretty severely distorted)?

[quote name='arcane93']It's funny, I have no problem whatsoever with 3D movies, but give me an FPS, and I'll be sick within about 15 minutes. Fortunately, I don't care much for FPS games anyway, though I would have liked to have been able to play Fallout 3. I wonder whether 3D would make FPS games better or worse for me.

That being said, the main reason that I'm feeling doubtful about claims about the 3DS making people sick being as serious a problem as it's being made out to be. . . It's a 3.5 inch screen. It's not going to be the same kind of immersive experience that a 70 foot movie theater screen (or even a 46 inch TV) is.[/QUOTE]

I don't think the actual size of the screen will matter. I think its more based on the technology that was used to make the 3D granted 3D is 3D I'm sure it breaks down into a process more complex then the size of the screen. Though i can probably say the bigger the screen the worse for obvious reasons.

Another words for all we know the 3DS displaying 3D can be far more harmful then any 70 inch I-max theater 3D screen would. At the same time it can be as bad as a old gameboy.

I think software is one of the big things that people are not debating enough. It does not matter if the 3D screen is a gimmick or not, nor does it matter if it makes people sick or not. What matters is the adoption rate of software to hardware sold. Look at the Wii, yes it sold a bajillion systems....but it did not do the same for software and as a result it became another N64. For every good game the Wii received from a company other then Nintendo the 360 and the PS3 received a half dozen or more.

I have no doubt that the 3DS will sell well, and the intial offering from third parties is impressive. Problem is how will they sell? If people pick up a 3DS and find that it makes them sick or that the game play is weak compared to the duel stick high tech graphics of the PSP2 then we may find Nintendos longest running problem rearing its head(people buying Nintendo games and not much more).

At this point I am really not that impressed with the 3DS. The price tag seems high on both games and the system itself and the only reason for it is 3D which is a technology I am really down on. It is going to take a strong library like the DS had to sell me. Meanwhile the PSP2 is hella impressive and hella exciting and I want one right now.....but when it comes down to it Sony will probably stupidly try and charge $400-$500 for it and my and the general consumer interest will die.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I think software is one of the big things that people are not debating enough. It does not matter if the 3D screen is a gimmick or not, nor does it matter if it makes people sick or not. What matters is the adoption rate of software to hardware sold. Look at the Wii, yes it sold a bajillion systems....but it did not do the same for software and as a result it became another N64. For every good game the Wii received from a company other then Nintendo the 360 and the PS3 received a half dozen or more.

I have no doubt that the 3DS will sell well, and the intial offering from third parties is impressive. Problem is how will they sell? If people pick up a 3DS and find that it makes them sick or that the game play is weak compared to the duel stick high tech graphics of the PSP2 then we may find Nintendos longest running problem rearing its head(people buying Nintendo games and not much more).

At this point I am really not that impressed with the 3DS. The price tag seems high on both games and the system itself and the only reason for it is 3D which is a technology I am really down on. It is going to take a strong library like the DS had to sell me. Meanwhile the PSP2 is hella impressive and hella exciting and I want one right now.....but when it comes down to it Sony will probably stupidly try and charge $400-$500 for it and my and the general consumer interest will die.[/QUOTE]

Exactly its going to come down to the library of games. Personally I'm not for the new psp or 3DS. I'm happy with my ds lite and psp 3000.

In my opinion Nintendo needs third party publishers the only games that they sell are the ones they make zelda,mario,pokemon,metroid,kirby,etc
and its so far along in reports that everything is the same thing nowadays from nintendo. I'm playing heart gold on my ds right now and its barealy different from when i played pokemon 10 years ago.

I mean granted i knew some of the pokemon would be the same but 10 years later and the paths are the same.

[quote name='needler420']I don't think the actual size of the screen will matter. I think its more based on the technology that was used to make the 3D granted 3D is 3D I'm sure it breaks down into a process more complex then the size of the screen. Though i can probably say the bigger the screen the worse for obvious reasons.[/QUOTE]

Well, assuming that the problem is related to simulator sickness, screen size (and relative immersion) should matter. My understanding of simulator sickness (I've actually done some reading/research on this, due to my issues with FPS games) is that it's basically your body reacting to the abnormal stimuli -- from what your eyes are seeing, you should be moving, and yet your balance/equilibrium system reports that you are sitting still. This disconnect in stimuli causes your body to react essentially as if it has been poisoned. The reason why third-person games don't cause similar issues is that the fixed point of reference provided by the character on the screen basically enables your senses to distance themselves from the image. Without the level of sensory immersion that is provided by a larger screen, however, the senses should (I would think) have enough fixed points of reference from the surrounding environment to offset the effects.

Also, as far as reports from developers and critics go . . . I wonder if they are viewing the system in the way that normal users would view it. Developers in particular are probably spending long periods of time focused directly onto the 3D screen. Normal users would tend to shift their vision from the 3D screen to the lower screen, the stylus, etc. in the course of playing, rather than maintaining a continuous focus. (Actually, come to think of it, that's another difference from 3D movies as well.)

[quote name='Dozens']But those groups are comprised of tons of nerds, which we all know already have numerous preexisting health issues. :lol:

Their inability to handle 3D is next to their gene for asthma. :eek:[/QUOTE]

Hopefully that's a joke :lol:

[quote name='arcane93']I am curious how developers are going to handle having to support both 3D and 2D. Will the image have more detail and clarity in 2D mode because of the essentially doubled horizontal resolution, or will they just double the pixels horizontally (which would, I would think, make the image look pretty severely distorted)?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, how does that work? I mean as far as I know it'll be the same effective resolution, but I don't remember how the screen works...seems like it's one fairly normal TN panel, presumably at the higher resolution, and then some weird panel that directs light one way or the other to varying amounts?

The first Pokemon was more than enough for me (put in over 128 hours when the counter quit working, and I finally quit, maybe halfway through the game). But generally Nintendo's first party stuff has been pretty strong again, gimmicks aside...but yeah, the third party stuff is as weak as ever...or actually more so since the Gamecube actually got competent versions of many games. I heard a horror story about two guys working in a corner on the Gamecube port of something or other, but still usually the Gamecube and Xbox versions of stuff were better, and usually they got stuff. The Wii mostly gets shovelware.

[quote name='arcane93']Developers in particular are probably spending long periods of time focused directly onto the 3D screen. Normal users would tend to shift their vision from the 3D screen to the lower screen, the stylus, etc. in the course of playing, rather than maintaining a continuous focus.[/QUOTE]

If anything I'd assume they're trying to use it "right" compared with a normal user not having it lined up right or whatever.

Well the 3DS wiki page says this.

Nintendo has publicly stated that the 3D mode of the 3DS is not intended for use by children ages six and younger, citing possible harm to their vision. Nintendo suggests that younger players use the device's 2D mode instead,although the American Optometric Association has assured parents that 3D gaming in moderation would not be harmful for children.

It funny though how at 6 supposedly your eyes won't be developed enough or what ever the reason but all of a sudden at age 7 its fine.

I have a feeling things will come from this. No matter how good of a parent you are kids are going to play with the 3D on and some for probably hours at a time. I have a feeling its going to be one of those things that affects you later on. After 2-4 years or so we'll hear the cases.

Specially when you consider the average game now gives seizure warnings its going to be at like double risk for 3D. I had a seizure before to its not fun i thought i died granted it wasn't any game lcd/screen related. It was from a shot at a dentist lol.

Its actually going to be pretty sad if something were to happen like that. It'll be jimmy playing pokemon when he's age 7 and by age 17 he'll be color blind because his parents don't pay attention and for 5 years or so Jimmy played in 3D 3-5 hours a day. Just like a kid with his guitar and amp listening to frequency's that slowly making you go deaf.

I mean does Nintendo think all kids under the age 6 are going to play by the rules. They probably more so know the harm that can come from it but giving the warning labels out now and getting lawyers on retainer. Ultimately its going to be the parents responsibility just as you wouldn't let them use head phones on a high watt amp at an exceeded volume then before you know it Jimmy has a ringing in his ears for the rest of his life.

I think that's really weird they'd give it the "all clear" when no one's ever been exposed to that much "3D" before.

Do they actually know that ADULT vision goes back to normal, if it's exposed to hours a day of this stuff? I don't think we know that, and to do it to developing eyes? That doesn't seem real bright. And super ironic then too that that's an area Nintendo dominates.

[quote name='needler420']Exactly its going to come down to the library of games. Personally I'm not for the new psp or 3DS. I'm happy with my ds lite and psp 3000.

In my opinion Nintendo needs third party publishers the only games that they sell are the ones they make zelda,mario,pokemon,metroid,kirby,etc
and its so far along in reports that everything is the same thing nowadays from nintendo. I'm playing heart gold on my ds right now and its barealy different from when i played pokemon 10 years ago.

I mean granted i knew some of the pokemon would be the same but 10 years later and the paths are the same.[/QUOTE]

I think a lot of DS games did pretty well that were third party though. I also think it was easy for developers to make a buck without having to move a million units because the DS was easy to program for and development costs were pretty low. I wonder if the same will be true of the 3DS. I imagine those 3D effects take extra work and the $50 price tag on games is hefty enough that I bet it cuts in to sales quite a bit for lesser known titles like Atlus's.

Well they wouldn't HAVE to charge $50, though if they're really going to be using much larger cartridges, maybe they do...

[quote name='needler420']

It funny though how at 6 supposedly your eyes won't be developed enough or what ever the reason but all of a sudden at age 7 its fine.
[/QUOTE]

uh.. what?

this happens all the time with the human body. Things grow and develop and by a certain age has changed in form.

Remember that ringtone that was at such a high frequency that only kids could hear it?

[quote name='needler420']
[/QUOTE]

Uh, this might be true on the Wii, but tons of third party developers/publishers have found success on the DS (Level-5, Capcom, Squenix, Konami, etc.)

[quote name='confoosious']uh.. what?

this happens all the time with the human body. Things grow and develop and by a certain age has changed in form.

Remember that ringtone that was at such a high frequency that only kids could hear it?[/QUOTE]

Yeah i see where your going but my point is just because they are 7 won't necessarily mean they hit that developed stage yet even if that is the average age the eyes develop. Also that's not going to stop kids under 6 from playing it. All that is, is a no children under 3 label for small parts. Its still falls under the parents responsibility.

All it is, is Nintendo freeing themselves from any potential liability the danger is still there. The problem i see is sure there are lots of responsible parents but just as many that are there's an equal amount who aren't. There is going to be plenty of kids asking their parents/grand parents for this device and their going to buy and ignore anything from it, under the interruption of oh its just a Nintendo,Playstation etc. The only way your turning 3D off on a kid under 10 is to physically do it for him or he'll do it himself when he realizes he's in minor pain if he does. I mean i know when i was 10 even if my parents would have said don't use that button on your gameboy i probably still would have.

Btw don't take what I'm saying as a knock down towards the 3DS ill probably own one myself in the long run. Just more of a pre-caution to you parents who could later complain when their kids lose 20/20 vision and need glasses its very real and possible.

[quote name='needler420']Yeah i see where your going but my point is just because they are 7 won't necessarily mean they hit that developed stage yet even if that is the average age the eyes develop. Also that's not going to stop kids under 6 from playing it. All that is, is a no children under 3 label for small parts. Its still falls under the parents responsibility.

All it is, is Nintendo freeing themselves from any potential liability the danger is still there. The problem i see is sure there are lots of responsible parents but just as many that are there's an equal amount who aren't. There is going to be plenty of kids asking their parents/grand parents for this device and their going to buy and ignore anything from it, under the interruption of oh its just a Nintendo,Playstation etc. The only way your turning 3D off on a kid under 10 is physically do it for him or he'll do it himself when he realizes he's in minor pain if he does. I mean i know when i was 10 even if my parents would have said don't use that button on your gameboy i probably still would have.

Btw don't take what I'm saying as a knock down towards the 3DS ill probably own one myself in the long run. Just more of a pre-caution to you parents who could later complain when their kids lose 20/20 vision and need glasses its very real and possible.[/QUOTE]
That's a very real possibility whether they own/play a 3DS or not.

[quote name='pjb16']That's a very real possibility whether they own/play a 3DS or not.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but we have no idea what this does to adults long term, let alone kids.

PSP2 will clearly be more powerful, but then again the PSP was way more powerful than the DS....That worked out really well for 'em didn't it? haha

The problem with the PSP's library was that most of the games felt like watered down console ports.

If most people play their handhelds at home, why would they ever buy a PSP game when they can just play the superior console version?

I kind of see this hand held generation playing out the last one. 3DS will will like crazy do to it being Nintendo and cheaper. Can't imagine the PSP2 is going to be affordable with the specs it has.

“From the very beginning of the project — since 2008 — pricing was one of the considerations that we had. Hopefully when we announce the price, people will see the proper value.”
"people will see the proper value" .

Sounds like they're sticking to their old strategy. "Oh it's expensive but it's cheap for a dvd player, mp3 and movie player, blu-ray player"

Sony is totally doubling down on their old strategy - don't think it'll be too successful, but it's a bad ass piece of hardware.

On topic, I'm surprised Amazon doesn't have the full 3DS launch lineup available for preorder yet. Add pilotwings, dammit!

[quote name='Dozens']The problem with the PSP's library was that most of the games felt like watered down console ports.

If most people play their handhelds at home, why would they ever buy a PSP game when they can just play the superior console version?[/QUOTE]

They weren't necessarily superior at first, and anyway that's probably a minority of the PSP's library. Only reason it's not the case for the DS is it's been a decade since systems of it's class were having games actively developed for them.

Heck, right now the 3DS will be in the same boat since it's the same gen as the PSP and Wii (and PS2 which is sort of still here).

[quote name='gkrykewy']Sony is totally doubling down on their old strategy - don't think it'll be too successful, but it's a bad ass piece of hardware.

On topic, I'm surprised Amazon doesn't have the full 3DS launch lineup available for preorder yet. Add pilotwings, dammit![/QUOTE]

the PSP2 is going to be the most powerful handheld on the market, beating the iphone4 and Galaxy S in terms of power, even outperforming the upcoming Tegra 2 Phones, that have Dual Core Cortex A9's at 1Ghz where this is quad core with a rumoured clock of 1.5-2Ghz.

It will probably outperform the ipad2 as well.

Sony should put in a 7" or 10" screen have it dual boot with the Android Honeycombe and they can sell .

Look at PSP2 play uncharted

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI-GtIFgZgw&feature=player_embedded#[/video]

[quote name='needler420']the PSP2 is going to be the most powerful handheld on the market, beating the iphone4 and Galaxy S in terms of power, even outperforming the upcoming Tegra 2 Phones, that have Dual Core Cortex A9's at 1Ghz where this is quad core with a rumoured clock of 1.5-2Ghz.[/quote]

Woah. Seriously? I'd expect at best 1GHz, and honestly 500Mhz or whatever wouldn't surprise me (or be bad). 1.5-2GHz would be insane, and probably would put the CPU power up near the Xbox...hmm...an extra core, possibly more efficient at the same clock speed...

It will probably outperform the ipad2 as well.

It'll destroy the iPad 2 unless it's clocked a lot slower, although it's a moot point because it will regardless because it's dedicated to games. So far nothing on iOS is really that impressive compared to better PSP stuff, and they didn't even (probably, more or less) match the performance until this past generation roled out with A8 and SGX GPUs and what not.

Wow. Hard to say for sure what that REALLY looks like since the part I watched was so linear, but still obviously it blows away everything else.

It also showcases (ironically) how stupid "motion" controls are. Wow, touch him to make him go over it...or....just hit a button. Swing the whole system to swing on a vine...or just move the stick.

[quote name='Dozens']It's being released at the end of the year. Smartphones evolve so fast that they'll probably also have quad-cores by then. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but I doubt they'll have dual analog sticks, 5" screens, and dedicated gaming buttons like the PSP2. :roll:

bread's done
Back