Launch Date March 27, 2011

Price $249.99 MSRP*

Included in Hardware The following is included in the hardware set:
  1. Nintendo 3DS system
  2. Nintendo 3DS charging cradle
  3. Nintendo 3DS AC adapter
  4. Nintendo 3DS stylus
  5. SD Memory Card (2GB)
  6. AR Card(s) (view the cards using the outer cameras to play supported AR games)
  7. Quick-Start Guide
  8. Operations Manual (including warranty)

Characteristic Features
  1. 3D screen, enabling 3D view without the need for special glasses and the ability to adjust or turn off 3D effect with the 3D Depth Slider.
  2. Stereo cameras that enable users to take 3D photos that can be viewed instantly on the 3D screen.
  3. New input interfaces including the Circle Pad, motion sensor, gyro sensor
  4. SpotPass, a feature that lets Nintendo 3DS detect wireless hotspots or wireless LAN access points and obtain information, game data, free software, videos and so on for players even when the system is in sleep mode.**
  5. StreetPass, a feature that lets Nintendo 3DS exchange data automatically with other Nintendo 3DS systems within range, even in sleep mode once this feature is activated by the user. Data for multiple games can be exchanged simultaneously.
  6. Convenient features that users can access without stopping game play such as the HOME menu, Internet Brower, Notifications, etc.
  7. Plenty of built-in software such as the Nintendo 3DS Camera, Nintendo 3DS Sound, Mii Maker, StreetPass, Mii Plaza, AR Games, Activity Log, Face Raiders, etc.
  8. Nintendo eShop where users can view trailers, software rankings and purchase software.
  9. System Transfer which enable users to transfer already purchased software from one Nintendo 3DS system to another. DSiWare purchased for the Nintendo DSi or the Nintendo DSi XL can also be transferred into a Nintendo 3DS system.***
  10. Compatibility functions where both new software designed for Nintendo 3DS and most software for the Nintendo DS family of systems can be played.
  11. Parental Controls which enable parents to restrict game content by ratings as well as use of specific wireless connectivity, 3D functionality, etc.****

Size (when closed) 2.9 inches high, 5.3 inches long, 0.8 inches deep.

Weight Approximately 8 ounces (including battery pack, stylus, SD memory card).

Upper Screen Wide-screen LCD display, enabling 3D view without the need for special glasses. Capable of displaying approximately 16.77 million colors. 3.53 inches display (3.02 inches wide, 1.81 inches high) with 800 x 240 pixel resolution. 400 pixels are allocated to each eye to enable 3D viewing.

Lower Screen LCD with a touch screen capable of displaying 16.77 million colors. 3.02 inches (2.42 inches wide, 1.81 inches high) with 320 x 240 pixel resolution.

Cameras One inner camera and two outer cameras. Resolutions are 640 x 480 for each camera. Lens are single focus and uses the CMOS capture element. The active pixel count is approximately 300,000 pixels.

Wireless Communication 2.4 GHz. Enabling local wireless communication among multiple Nintendo 3DS systems for game play and StreetPass. Enabling access to the Internet through wireless LAN access points (supports IEEE802.11 b/g with the WPA™/WPA2™ security feature). Recommended distance of wireless communication is within 98.4 feet. This can be shorter depending on the enviromental situation. WPA and WPA2 are marks of the Wi-Fi Alliance.

Input Controls Input controls are the following:
  1. A/B/X/Y Button, +Control Pad, L/R Button, START/SELECT
  2. Circle Pad (enabling 360-degree analog input)
  3. Touch screen
  4. Embedded microphone
  5. Camera
  6. Motion sensor
  7. Gyro sensor

Other Input Controls Other input controls are the following:
  1. 3D Depth Slider (enabling smooth adjustment of the 3D level effect)
  2. HOME (HOME button brings up the HOME menu)
  3. Wireless switch (can disable wireless functionality even during game play)
  4. POWER button

Connector Connector includes:
  1. Game Card slot
  2. SD Card slot
  3. Cradle connector
  4. AC adapter connector
  5. Audio jack (stereo output)

Sound Stereo speakers positioned to the left and right of the top screen (supports virtual surround sound).

Stylus Telescoping stylus (approximately 3.94 inches when fully extended).

Electric Power AC adaptor (WAP-002 [USA]). Nintendo 3DS Battery Pack (lithium ion battery) [CTR-003].

Charge Time About 3.5 hours

Battery Duration When playing Nintendo 3DS software about 3-5 hours. When playing Nintendo DS software about 5-8 hours. Battery duration differs depending on the brightness setting of the screen. The information regarding battery duration is a rough standard. It can be shorter depending on what functions of the Nintendo 3DS system are used.

Game Card Nintendo 3DS Game Card. The size is approximately the same as Nintendo DS Game Card.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Jaysonguy']Word to the wise everyone

The DSLite released less then 14 months after the DS did with improved screens and better battery life all for less money.

Considering the 3DS is a train wreck with it's battery life (takes longer to charge it then play it) and small screens I'd wait.[/QUOTE]

19 months in NA and it was 20 bucks less.

[quote name='dapunisure']If i preoreder it now how much will they charge on my cc? Is it like most preorders where they chare $1 or is it $50 like gamestop? Or is it the whole $250 which i doubt?[/QUOTE]

I'll tell you this from experience with Gamestop, if they get too many pre-orders they are going to start calling up the people on the list and tell them they need to come in and pay in full before release date if they want to "try" and have one on release date.

This has happened to me twice, once with the Playstation 2, second time with the PSP. Personally if you really want the system, just make the pre-order with Amazon, which they wont charge you until it ships. Just to ensure it go drop the $50 at GameStop for there pre-order and wait around.

[quote name='armor843']oh the irony.:applause:

Anyways, I will wait till around christmas when the psp2 comes out to compare prices and games. By that time maybe more colors will be out.
Right now $250 for a handheld is too much and is not a deal.[/QUOTE]

Yup totally agree. I'll wait for the PSP2 announcement first. $250 for a DS even in 3D is a little too much for me, $199 would have been the sweet spot.

[quote name='Kfoster1979']19 months in NA and it was 20 bucks less.[/QUOTE]
Under 19 and yes, cheaper with better battery life and screens
Heck in some regions it was 11 months between versions

I just can't justify buying the 3ds as of now. Guess I'm just not too big of a handheld gamer. I have a dsi xl 25th anniversary and right now I have a lot of games for it I've not even touched. At $250 it's just too much to spend on too little in return. I mean I paid $300 for my 1st ps2 back in jan 2002 and have put 1,000's of hours on it and fun hours at that and still play it. Eventually I will get one but not at this time.

[quote name='oasisboy']But it is a Nintendo product! Be ready for 50 threads about 3DS in stock at "GameStop, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Billy Bob's market, Wonder market" and so on...[/QUOTE]

To be fair, though, with the Wii those threads were justified for almost a year.

Id really like to replace my dslite with one but 250 is a lot for a handheld. Ill get one if someone ends up having a nice credit promo or has a free game or something (which I highly doubt they will). But just 250 for the system alone is bit much for me.

Besides nintendo being nintendo they will re-release this system a few more times with imrovements.

[quote name='sokari']Here's what I found earlier

• Pilotwings Resort
  • Nintendogs + Cats
  • Steeldiver
  • Dead or Alive
  • Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D
  • Madden NFL
  • Super Street Fighter IV 3D
  • Asphalt 3D
  • Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D
  • Ridge Racer 3D
  • Resident Evil: The Mercenaries
  • LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
http://www.destructoid.com/3ds-north-american-launch-titles-192044.phtml[/QUOTE]

Item in bold is reason enough for me to get one. Haven't seen a new one in 5+ years, since 360 launch. Shocked that the next one is on a portable. In for a black 3DS.

Looks like other stores are getting release dates as well--Amazon has April 26 for SSFIV. Gamestop has July 5 for RE: Mercenaries.

We still have absolutely no clue what will be available at launch other than Nintendogs + Cats and Steel Diver.

Preordered the cosmo black with my lbp 2 ce $20 credit. $230 is manageable but I am not sure if I will buy it. We will see how the launch line up looks like.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']Under 19 and yes, cheaper with better battery life and screens
Heck in some regions it was 11 months between versions[/QUOTE]

that's a year and a half.

If you're gonna wait, that's fine but it's still a long as time to wait. It's not like wait 4 weeks and get a price drop.

I have something like $150 in Kmart rewards points, so I'm going to buy there. Thanks for posting the links. I was hoping it'd be $200, so I'm not sure I'm going to jump on it at launch. I love my DS, but I play it a couple hours a week tops. I'm on my 360 and Wii for a good 5-10 hours each every week.

[quote name='Plinko']Looks like other stores are getting release dates as well--Amazon has April 26 for SSFIV. Gamestop has July 5 for RE: Mercenaries.

We still have absolutely no clue what will be available at launch other than Nintendogs + Cats and Steel Diver.[/QUOTE]

Well SSFIV3D is actually confirmed as a launch title. The only game that has been confirmed so far.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/19/super-street-fighter-iv-3d-edition-confirmed-for-3ds-launch/

[quote name='sherisdoppel']I know 3DS seems great, but $250 is just too much. Why Nintendo...[/QUOTE]
And PSP wasn't? This is nothing new people...

[quote name='cheapbastard']Preordered the cosmo black with my lbp 2 ce $20 credit. $230 is manageable but I am not sure if I will buy it. We will see how the launch line up looks like.[/QUOTE]

What CE credit?

[quote name='lhfan04']Well SSFIV3D is actually confirmed as a launch title. The only game that has been confirmed so far.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/19/super-street-fighter-iv-3d-edition-confirmed-for-3ds-launch/[/QUOTE]

Really? Cause the conference this morning confirmed 12 launch titles

• Pilotwings Resort
  • Nintendogs + Cats
  • Steeldiver
  • Dead or Alive
  • Madden NFL
  • Asphalt 3D
  • Ridge Racer 3D
Plus Reggie said we'd have a library of 30 titles by June which include Zelda, Kid Icarus and Mario Kart.(but I have my doubts on that)

I'm in for one am just hoping the battery life will be decent if not my guess they will be in low supply and I could always sell it.

Just pre-ordered 2, one of each color.
If the pre-orders sell out, im gonna flip the blue to help cover the cost of the black, which I'll keep.

If neither pre-order sells out then I'll decide on keeping either.

[quote name='Caddywompus21']Really? Cause the conference this morning confirmed 12 launch titles

• Pilotwings Resort
  • Nintendogs + Cats
  • Steeldiver
  • Dead or Alive
  • Madden NFL
  • Asphalt 3D
  • Ridge Racer 3D
Plus Reggie said we'd have a library of 30 titles by June which include Zelda, Kid Icarus and Mario Kart.(but I have my doubts on that)[/QUOTE]

The conference actually didn't confirm these as launch titles--Destructoid is incorrect. They've been confirmed for the launch window. We're waiting for more solid information on what actually will be confirmed as a launch title.

Yes, the list above is all part of the stuff Nintendo would only commit to "the launch window" (i.e., between March 27 and E3, which is mid-June). Nothing has been officially set for actual Day 1 of the launch, although I believe SSFIV3D has been confirmed by Capcom separately since this morning.

Also, in for 1 Comso Black! Thanks, Cheapy! ;)

I agree with the comments about the $250 being a hard price to accept. I want the system, but I really don't think it should be over $200.

Got my black pre-order going today....still on the fence about keeping it though because of the disappointing titles launch. Wasn't the new Prof. Layton going to be out soon on this too? Hm.

edit: ...pre-ordered the blue too...just in case I change my mind on color. ;)

[quote name='Plinko']Capcom also just confirmed that RE: Mercs will be a "summer release." That's on the Destructoid list of "launch games."[/QUOTE]
Thats a bummer, I hope they have some decent launch titles or I'll probably just wait a few months for more games.

Yeah lol...as far as confirmed titles (especially from Nintendo), I think you cant be too sure until around March haha. Kinda have to take Nintendo release dates and "windows" with a grain of salt...Wii launch looked awesome and overloaded up until about a month before, then they delayed games like Metroid.

Preordered mine regardless, seems like Nintendo products always have "limited" quantities and remain so for quite a while...might as well get it now while I can, then hope they surprise me with Zelda, Paper Mario, or Mario Kart type games with an earlier than expected release.

Man. I guessed this would launch at around this price. It's halfway between what my friend thought it would be and the $300 yen-to-dollar conversion estimate; my rationale was this is a launch title of a next-gen handheld, where it had to be more than what people were expecting and less than what would make people really, really pissed off, while maintaining some comparable amount with whatever the price it's actually being sold overseas. Just kidding.

I'm going to wait to decide whether I'm going to get this at launch.

[quote name='Plinko']The conference actually didn't confirm these as launch titles--Destructoid is incorrect. They've been confirmed for the launch window. We're waiting for more solid information on what actually will be confirmed as a launch title.[/QUOTE]

That doesn't surprise me. :lol: Guess it was too good to be true to expect a portable to have a decent launch lineup.

[quote name='Caddywompus21']That doesn't surprise me. :lol: Guess it was too good to be true to expect a portable to have a decent launch lineup.[/QUOTE]

Heh, that list wasn't really a decent launch lineup anyway. Hopefully by the time the real list is announced, there will be some better titles. ;)

I mean, geez, I expect the third-party titles to suck a little until they get the hang of the new hardware, but can't Nintendo get out at least one of their big titles with the system?

I hope they have different colors by later this year.....blue or black do not interest me (my ds's are as follows: red phat, coral pink dsLite and white DSi.).

Coral pink was released in September 2006. So, who knows....perhaps later this year a new color would be released. Plus, I am waiting for Animal Crossing 3DS. When its announced, I'll consider buying the 3DS.

[quote name='arcane93']Heh, that list wasn't really a decent launch lineup anyway. Hopefully by the time the real list is announced, there will be some better titles. ;)

I mean, geez, I expect the third-party titles to suck a little until they get the hang of the new hardware, but can't Nintendo get out at least one of their big titles with the system?[/QUOTE]

Hey, it's better than getting the usual one game that's a port from a a couple of generations ago. That was a fairly diverse selection given past launch lineups.

Thank you, OP, for letting us know about the pre-order link for the 3ds. I wasn't keeping up with the 3ds release information, so it was nice to know when pre-orders began.

The craziest thing happened though - as I checked my Amazon account earlier, the 3ds was actually in my goldbox with a pretty good discount! Needless to say, I locked that pre-order in and couldn't be happier about getting such a deal off this type of item! :whee:

Planning to pick up (at launch or aftewards): Zelda: OOT, Starfox 64, Kid Icarus, Street Fighter IV, and maaaaaaaaaybe Resident Evil: Mercenaries.

Besides, some of the upcoming games, I'm kind of excited that it takes 3D pictures. Granted, as far as I know, you can only view them on the 3DS, but it would be cool if I can put them on my 3DTV too.

I'm in for one. Even if I don't use it a lot my kids will get a big thrill out of it.

[quote name='RobnessMonster']The craziest thing happened though - as I checked my Amazon account earlier, the 3ds was actually in my goldbox with a pretty good discount! Needless to say, I locked that pre-order in and couldn't be happier about getting such a deal off this type of item! :whee:[/QUOTE]

Wow did it really show up in your quick picks? Man I might toy around with my wish list and see if I can get that in there.

[quote name='Caddywompus21']Wow did it really show up in your quick picks? Man I might toy around with my wish list and see if I can get that in there.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it sure did. I take extra care to make sure I always tinker with my wishlists/recommendations, so maybe that's what did it. For example, by buying certain games, and being interested in some recommendations versus others, I usually am able to get a lot of my wanted items into my goldbox.

Right now, I have the new Fight Night, Batman, Duke Nukem all in my recommendations waiting to enter my goldbox. Somehow, it threw the 3ds in there today even though most of my stuff is all recommended Xbox games. Another discount I got was on the Mortal Kombat Tournament edition - score! \\:D/

preordered a aqua blue one. wish they would make a green colored one. but color really doesn't matter, i'm currently using a pearl pink ds lite (and yes, I'm a guy). Main thing is gameplay and functionality, of course my opinion only.

bread's done
Back