Launch Date March 27, 2011

Price $249.99 MSRP*

Included in Hardware The following is included in the hardware set:
  1. Nintendo 3DS system
  2. Nintendo 3DS charging cradle
  3. Nintendo 3DS AC adapter
  4. Nintendo 3DS stylus
  5. SD Memory Card (2GB)
  6. AR Card(s) (view the cards using the outer cameras to play supported AR games)
  7. Quick-Start Guide
  8. Operations Manual (including warranty)

Characteristic Features
  1. 3D screen, enabling 3D view without the need for special glasses and the ability to adjust or turn off 3D effect with the 3D Depth Slider.
  2. Stereo cameras that enable users to take 3D photos that can be viewed instantly on the 3D screen.
  3. New input interfaces including the Circle Pad, motion sensor, gyro sensor
  4. SpotPass, a feature that lets Nintendo 3DS detect wireless hotspots or wireless LAN access points and obtain information, game data, free software, videos and so on for players even when the system is in sleep mode.**
  5. StreetPass, a feature that lets Nintendo 3DS exchange data automatically with other Nintendo 3DS systems within range, even in sleep mode once this feature is activated by the user. Data for multiple games can be exchanged simultaneously.
  6. Convenient features that users can access without stopping game play such as the HOME menu, Internet Brower, Notifications, etc.
  7. Plenty of built-in software such as the Nintendo 3DS Camera, Nintendo 3DS Sound, Mii Maker, StreetPass, Mii Plaza, AR Games, Activity Log, Face Raiders, etc.
  8. Nintendo eShop where users can view trailers, software rankings and purchase software.
  9. System Transfer which enable users to transfer already purchased software from one Nintendo 3DS system to another. DSiWare purchased for the Nintendo DSi or the Nintendo DSi XL can also be transferred into a Nintendo 3DS system.***
  10. Compatibility functions where both new software designed for Nintendo 3DS and most software for the Nintendo DS family of systems can be played.
  11. Parental Controls which enable parents to restrict game content by ratings as well as use of specific wireless connectivity, 3D functionality, etc.****

Size (when closed) 2.9 inches high, 5.3 inches long, 0.8 inches deep.

Weight Approximately 8 ounces (including battery pack, stylus, SD memory card).

Upper Screen Wide-screen LCD display, enabling 3D view without the need for special glasses. Capable of displaying approximately 16.77 million colors. 3.53 inches display (3.02 inches wide, 1.81 inches high) with 800 x 240 pixel resolution. 400 pixels are allocated to each eye to enable 3D viewing.

Lower Screen LCD with a touch screen capable of displaying 16.77 million colors. 3.02 inches (2.42 inches wide, 1.81 inches high) with 320 x 240 pixel resolution.

Cameras One inner camera and two outer cameras. Resolutions are 640 x 480 for each camera. Lens are single focus and uses the CMOS capture element. The active pixel count is approximately 300,000 pixels.

Wireless Communication 2.4 GHz. Enabling local wireless communication among multiple Nintendo 3DS systems for game play and StreetPass. Enabling access to the Internet through wireless LAN access points (supports IEEE802.11 b/g with the WPA™/WPA2™ security feature). Recommended distance of wireless communication is within 98.4 feet. This can be shorter depending on the enviromental situation. WPA and WPA2 are marks of the Wi-Fi Alliance.

Input Controls Input controls are the following:
  1. A/B/X/Y Button, +Control Pad, L/R Button, START/SELECT
  2. Circle Pad (enabling 360-degree analog input)
  3. Touch screen
  4. Embedded microphone
  5. Camera
  6. Motion sensor
  7. Gyro sensor

Other Input Controls Other input controls are the following:
  1. 3D Depth Slider (enabling smooth adjustment of the 3D level effect)
  2. HOME (HOME button brings up the HOME menu)
  3. Wireless switch (can disable wireless functionality even during game play)
  4. POWER button

Connector Connector includes:
  1. Game Card slot
  2. SD Card slot
  3. Cradle connector
  4. AC adapter connector
  5. Audio jack (stereo output)

Sound Stereo speakers positioned to the left and right of the top screen (supports virtual surround sound).

Stylus Telescoping stylus (approximately 3.94 inches when fully extended).

Electric Power AC adaptor (WAP-002 [USA]). Nintendo 3DS Battery Pack (lithium ion battery) [CTR-003].

Charge Time About 3.5 hours

Battery Duration When playing Nintendo 3DS software about 3-5 hours. When playing Nintendo DS software about 5-8 hours. Battery duration differs depending on the brightness setting of the screen. The information regarding battery duration is a rough standard. It can be shorter depending on what functions of the Nintendo 3DS system are used.

Game Card Nintendo 3DS Game Card. The size is approximately the same as Nintendo DS Game Card.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Plinko']Only two colors for preorder--Blue and black.[/QUOTE]

What's the deal with the red one then? Is it an exclusive to a specific store? I pre-ordered the black 3ds, but would appreciate some info on how to get the red one.

Thanks

[quote name='DaMonStEr']What's the deal with the red one then? Is it an exclusive to a specific store? I pre-ordered the black 3ds, but would appreciate some info on how to get the red one.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

That's just a physical mock-up made by Nintendo for demo purposes. The whole world is stuck with blue and black.

I preordered the Blue one just because. I might/will probably cancel, but I put the preorder in to lock it up in case I want it on release day.

Its expensive but expected, my real concern are the games and will I even play em.

I'll wait for a deal on this since I have some Amazon credit left, but I don't want to use it on this since I might cancel. Anybody know how to make the credit NOT apply?

The DS and PSP launched with dead pixels, so I assume this one will too. I don't wanna risk it, so I'll wait 'till a deal comes around or I cave in.

Had some Amazon credit mulling about, so put it towards a pre-order.

No sense waiting for these to be sold out. Can always cancel it.

[quote name='Nohbdy']That's just a physical mock-up made by Nintendo for demo purposes. The whole world is stuck with blue and black.[/QUOTE]

oh darn, it looked nice too

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']I'll wait for a deal on this since I have some Amazon credit left, but I don't want to use it on this since I might cancel. Anybody know how to make the credit NOT apply?

The DS and PSP launched with dead pixels, so I assume this one will too. I don't wanna risk it, so I'll wait 'till a deal comes around or I cave in.[/QUOTE]

Yes, on the screen where you pick your payment option, just untick the box that says "Apply $X.XX credit towards this order." I did this very same thing earlier, and if you decide you want to use the credit towards the purchase, you'll be able to from the order status page.

[quote name='SteveGo']Yes, on the screen where you pick your payment option, just untick the box that says "Apply $X.XX credit towards this order." I did this very same thing earlier, and if you decide you want to use the credit towards the purchase, you'll be able to from the order status page.[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU.

Now to pre-order a system who's launch games looks terrible to me...

Compare this launch to other system launches and it actually looks quite good. The 3rd party support is the surprise here with it being a Nintendo system.

Not to rain on anybody's parade, but I can't imagine spending $250 for a more gimmicky Nintendo doorstop, then $40 each for games.

Seriously, that's almost the price of a 360 w/Kinect or a Ps3, and it's considerably more than a Wii.. and for all the crap Wii takes, its games make the 3DS games look like Gamecube titles. Do you really need a portable that bad in an age where our phones and iPods play $2 games?

[quote name='bburpee']Not to rain on anybody's parade, but I can't imagine spending $250 for a more gimmicky Nintendo doorstop, then $40 each for games.

Seriously, that's almost the price of a 360 w/Kinect or a Ps3, and it's considerably more than a Wii.. and for all the crap Wii takes, its games make the 3DS games look like Gamecube titles. Do you really need a portable that bad in an age where our phones and iPods play $2 games?[/QUOTE]

Warning! Any negative comments about the 3DS will be deleted by mods, and you'll be flamed by the local Nintenzombies. However, if you post glowing praise about a system that hasn't even been released and gush over how great its going to be, they'll leave your post alone. :roll:

[quote name='bburpee']Not to rain on anybody's parade, but I can't imagine spending $250 for a more gimmicky Nintendo doorstop, then $40 each for games.

Seriously, that's almost the price of a 360 w/Kinect or a Ps3, and it's considerably more than a Wii.. and for all the crap Wii takes, its games make the 3DS games look like Gamecube titles. Do you really need a portable that bad in an age where our phones and iPods play $2 games?[/QUOTE]

I already own all of the other systems, so there's no other system to tempt me to buy it instead of a 3DS.

The 3DS is going to be awesome, it's pretty much guaranteed. The price isn't going to get much cheaper over time, and any reduction in price won't be worth missing out on the months/years it'll take for the price to drop. The only real question for me is do I want to buy the 1st iteration of the device, when I know a better version will be released later.

Just curious--why bother posting in a thread about something you have absolutely no intention of buying? Do you really think anybody in here would have any interest in reading a post made solely to crap on the thread?

[quote name='caltab']you can do in store pickup with besy buy to get it on the sunday release date. I think im still going with amazon though because of the 25 tax savings[/QUOTE]
I'm surprised they're doing in-store pickup.

If you don't preorder, don't bother lining up at Best Buy on launch day, the in-store pickup preorders will snap 'em all up. lol

[quote name='doodofdoods']The only real question for me is do I want to buy the 1st iteration of the device, when I know a better version will be released later.[/QUOTE]

The thing is . . . It was a year and a half (approximately) between the DS and the DS Lite -- and really, how much of an improvement was it? A little lighter, a bit longer battery life, the ability to adjust brightness levels. Other than that, it's really just about the same machine. None of the internals changed. Real improvements didn't come until the DSi, nearly four and a half years after the original DS was released. Do you really want to wait four and a half years for a better version?

Also, the DS was Nintendo's first foray into this form factor. The DS Lite was released, let's face it, primarily to iron out their major mis-steps and fix some of the problems that came up. Since this is technically the fifth entry in the DS line, they've got a lot more experience and a lot more data under their belts. It's not like the overall design is revolutionary. Given that, I would expect this design to be a lot more streamlined.

And sure, it has some problems, like the battery life. I don't think there was a big conspiracy on Nintendo's part to gimp the battery, though. We'll likely only see a change in that when either better batteries or more energy efficient versions of the processors become available. If you want more powerful processors, a dedicated GPU, and a higher resolution display, a shorter battery life is going to be the trade-off.

I dunno -- I think that anyone who thinks there's going to be a "3DS Lite" in a year is delusional. Maybe a "3DS XL" if the market really demands it, but even that will probably be a while (if for no reason other than battery and/or cost concerns).

I am tempted to buy one just to resell. Nintendo will probably under-stock these and then you can just flip it for a fast $50-$100.

[quote name='arcane93']The thing is . . . It was a year and a half (approximately) between the DS and the DS Lite -- and really, how much of an improvement was it? A little lighter, a bit longer battery life, the ability to adjust brightness levels. Other than that, it's really just about the same machine. None of the internals changed. Real improvements didn't come until the DSi, nearly four and a half years later. Do you really want to wait that long?

Also, the DS was Nintendo's first foray into this form factor. The DS Lite was released, let's face it, primarily to iron out their major mis-steps and fix some of the problems that came up. Since this is technically the fifth entry in the DS line, they've got a lot more experience and a lot more data under their belts. It's not like the overall design is revolutionary. Given that, I would expect this design to be a lot more streamlined.

And sure, it has some problems, like the battery life. I don't think there was a big conspiracy on Nintendo's part to gimp the battery, though. We'll likely only see a change in that when either better batteries or more energy efficient versions of the processors become available.

I dunno -- I think that anyone who thinks there's going to be a "3DS Lite" in a year is delusional. Maybe a "3DS XL" if the market really demands it, but even that will probably be a while (if for no reason other than battery concerns).[/QUOTE]

*disagrees*
The DSL was a HUGE improvement on DS where as the DSi just added useless stuff like the camera. I guess it made it possible to buy games from the store, but those were largely crap sooooo.

[quote name='Plinko']Just curious--why bother posting in a thread about something you have absolutely no intention of buying? Do you really think anybody in here would have any interest in reading a post made solely to crap on the thread?[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

People are here to try to figure out where to preorder, whether GS might have a trade in deal, and share news about the 3DS.

If you have no interest in the 3DS, why bother coming in here?

[quote name='MSI Magus']*disagrees*
The DSL was a HUGE improvement on DS where as the DSi just added useless stuff like the camera. I guess it made it possible to buy games from the store, but those were largely crap sooooo.[/QUOTE]

You're missing my point, though. The DS Lite was a "lessons learned" release after their very first console in the form factor. It fixed a lot of problems that they'd never encountered before because of the dual screens, the touchscreen, etc. Most of those changes had simply to do with the form factor, not the internal hardware (i.e., the processor, memory, etc. remained the same -- internally, it was essentially the same machine). This is, again, their fifth iteration of this design at this point. The only thing truly "new" about it is the 3D. They're not going to have all of those problems this time around.

Also, unlike the DS Lite, the DSi upped the processor speed and the memory, and added the cameras. Ok, so not a lot of titles actually used those upgrades (as much the fault of developers who didn't want to exclude DS/DSL owners as anything), which is why it wasn't so visible, but it was the quantifiably larger upgrade. After the 3DS, we won't see another upgrade in those areas for a while.

[quote name='Dozens']I'm surprised they're doing in-store pickup.

If you don't preorder, don't bother lining up at Best Buy on launch day, the in-store pickup preorders will snap 'em all up. lol[/QUOTE]

nah, I'm sure there will be a totally separate allocation for online orders that use in store pickup.

Wish I had the money to pre-order one. I don't mind the $250, it is justified considering the fact that this is the first iteration of no-glasses 3D on a video game console. However being a college student means money can be hard to come by. Hopefully it can be found after summer or there will be news of a new version by then.

[quote name='confoosious']If you have no interest in the 3DS, why bother coming in here?[/QUOTE]

Obviously they have nothing else better to do with their time.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I guess it made it possible to buy games from the store, but those were largely crap sooooo.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, walk into any Best Buy and the movies and games they carry are "mostly crap." Like with any system, there are a handful of DSiWare games that justify it's existence, like Mario vs. Donkey Kong and Shantae: Risky's Revenge.

Would I go out and buy a DSi if you already have a DS Lite? Maybe not, but if you had a DS fat or need a replacement, DSi was worth the difference in price.

I have to say I am not reading this whole thread just feel like complaing and going wow! that is one expensive nitendo ds it will take a bit to come down untill I am interested.

[quote name='arcane93']The thing is . . . It was a year and a half (approximately) between the DS and the DS Lite -- and really, how much of an improvement was it? A little lighter, a bit longer battery life, the ability to adjust brightness levels. Other than that, it's really just about the same machine. None of the internals changed. Real improvements didn't come until the DSi, nearly four and a half years after the original DS was released. Do you really want to wait four and a half years for a better version?

And sure, it has some problems, like the battery life. I don't think there was a big conspiracy on Nintendo's part to gimp the battery, though. We'll likely only see a change in that when either better batteries or more energy efficient versions of the processors become available. If you want more powerful processors, a dedicated GPU, and a higher resolution display, a shorter battery life is going to be the trade-off.

I dunno -- I think that anyone who thinks there's going to be a "3DS Lite" in a year is delusional. Maybe a "3DS XL" if the market really demands it, but even that will probably be a while (if for no reason other than battery and/or cost concerns).[/QUOTE]
Nope

Better battery life
Higher quality screens
Ability to change backlight in said screens
Improved speakers
Improved buttons
Improved shape

The DSLite was a complete overhaul of the package and it has nothing to do with "their first time" because Nintendo had been making portable game devices for the last decade in all shapes and sizes.

The DSi was nothing but R&D that Nintendo made customers pay for. They took the framework on the DSLite and tested out some of the features they wanted to go forward with in a handheld.

People who are buying this need to know how Nintendo has operated in the past

[quote name='arcane93']You're missing my point, though. The DS Lite was a "lessons learned" release after their very first console in the form factor. It fixed a lot of problems that they'd never encountered before because of the dual screens, the touchscreen, etc. Most of those changes had simply to do with the form factor, not the internal hardware (i.e., the processor, memory, etc. remained the same -- internally, it was essentially the same machine). This is, again, their fifth iteration of this design at this point. The only thing truly "new" about it is the 3D. They're not going to have all of those problems this time around.

Also, unlike the DS Lite, the DSi upped the processor speed and the memory, and added the cameras. Ok, so not a lot of titles actually used those upgrades (as much the fault of developers who didn't want to exclude DS/DSL owners as anything), which is why it wasn't so visible, but it was the quantifiably larger upgrade. After the 3DS, we won't see another upgrade in those areas for a while.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Nintendo said that there would be some games that were DSi ONLY but I don't think if anyone ever did one or not. I think developers were smart business people and therefore made games that everyone could play instead of limiting their sales. The only game I can think of that was only possible on the DSi was Photo Dojo which was a lot of fun. I am sure the DSi was what Nintendo wanted from the beginning but keep in mind that the DS was a huge gamble and I bet they wanted to keep costs as low as possible in case it failed. Nintendo is alway ahead of the curve but limits their consoles by keeping costs down. We've seen gameboy and gamecube prototypes and add ons come out over the years that show what Nintendo has been planning things way longer than anybody thought. The 3DS is considerable upgrade over the DS/DSi. I don't think any 3DS game could run on the DS/DSi in 2D mode. I am sure Nintendo will find a way to redesign it sooner or later but I think the only thing that will change is the form factor. It seems to me that this time they pput everything they wanted in there and didn't put as much thought on keeping the cost down.

I don't know if this has been mentioned in the thread already, but do you think Best Buy will do a reserve in store instead of just on their website? And I know this might be a dumb question, but if I preorder on bestbuy.com and then they offer a reserve in store, will I be able to cancel my reserve on their website?

[quote name='arcane93']you're missing my point, though. The ds lite was a "lessons learned" release after their very first console in the form factor. It fixed a lot of problems that they'd never encountered before because of the dual screens, the touchscreen, etc. Most of those changes had simply to do with the form factor, not the internal hardware (i.e., the processor, memory, etc. Remained the same -- internally, it was essentially the same machine). This is, again, their fifth iteration of this design at this point. The only thing truly "new" about it is the 3d. They're not going to have all of those problems this time around.

Also, unlike the ds lite, the dsi upped the processor speed and the memory, and added the cameras. Ok, so not a lot of titles actually used those upgrades (as much the fault of developers who didn't want to exclude ds/dsl owners as anything), which is why it wasn't so visible, but it was the quantifiably larger upgrade. After the 3ds, we won't see another upgrade in those areas for a while.[/quote]

qft.

$250 is ok considering the new tech I personally was expecting $279, the games however are most certainly not ok if they are gonna sell for 45-50. Preordering now just in case and will see if it's worth picking one up at launch.

If you place an order using credit from trading in games then cancel the pre order you are refunded your credit correct? Just want to make 100% sure.

I pre-ordered for now from Amazon but not sure if I'm planning on keeping it.

I am in NO way pre-ordering for in store pick up from BestBuy. I've had crappy experiences with them each time and them not being able to fulfill my order even after I have already gotten the email that my order is complete. Soo..screw BestBuy. :)

[quote name='MSI Magus']If you place an order using credit from trading in games then cancel the pre order you are refunded your credit correct? Just want to make 100% sure.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the refund happens instantly.

I, too, am wary of several redesigns being pushed into the market a year or two after the release. I bought an original DS and loved it, but I didn't love that the DS Lite was so much better and came out so soon.

I guess I'm hoping that if I invest the $250 now, it's still going to be a relevant investment in a year and a half. Magus and others are making some good points that are reassuring, but I'm still apprehensive.

[quote name='eliter1'] Nintendo said that there would be some games that were DSi ONLY but I don't think if anyone ever did one or not.[/quote]

At retail there was System Flaw, Foto Showdown, and a couple of others, but nothing that could remotely be called a killer app for the DSi. All the good stuff is downloadable on DSiware.

Nintendo is fairly guilty of incremental upgrades, but it would be silly of me to begrudge anyone for seeing something worth upgrading to in any DS model. If you cared enough about DSiware, a camera, larger screens, etc., wham, there was your justification. I'm personally using a Lite but I still see what the DSi and XL bring to the table. Whether they were shameless attempts to get existing owners to double/triple dip, a means of sweetening the deal for attracting first-time owners, both, or neither is a debate that I have no stake in.

As someone who's double-dipped on handhelds just for being different colors, rebuying a handheld because of a redesign or new features isn't nearly as wasteful in comparison :lol:

Pre-ordered. If there are no good games I'll cancel and wait for AWD to sell one.

However, if they release Ocarina of Time and that Metal Gear Solid game? Oh man..that'll just make my day.

I personally think the 3DS will sell pretty well at that price point, especially since there's no direct competition or solid info on the PSP2 to be out anytime soon. I 'm just not wowed by the launch titles and discouraged by the higher game prices. Hoping for a trade-in deal to persuade me to upgrade!

[quote name='eliter1']I agree. Nintendo said that there would be some games that were DSi ONLY but I don't think if anyone ever did one or not.[/QUOTE]There's a handful of DSi-only carts out there, but hardly anything of real importance.

Pre-ordered an Aqua Blue one at Amazon for no tax and free shipping. Fingers crossed that they'll get it early and ship so it arrives on or before street date.

Then decided to put in an in-store pick-up order at Best Buy just in case they do some promotional giveaway shenanigans. Truth be told, I think that unless Amazon ships early, I'll cancel it and pick up on day-one at Best Buy. RZ certificates will more or less nullify the taxes.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']Nope

Better battery life
Higher quality screens
Ability to change backlight in said screens
Improved speakers
Improved buttons
Improved shape

The DSLite was a complete overhaul of the package and it has nothing to do with "their first time" because Nintendo had been making portable game devices for the last decade in all shapes and sizes.[/QUOTE]

Um . . . Your list pretty much makes my argument. These were "first time" issues -- not "first time making a portable game system" issues, of course, but "first time making a portable game system with dual screens and a touchscreen interface" issues. The improved shape, buttons, and speakers were specific corrections to the new form factor. By the fifth product in the line, these won't need any more changes (unless people really hate the placement of the new analog stick or something). The higher quality screens and the ability to change the backlighting also addressed specific issues which came up in that first version. Now that those issues have been fixed, there is no reason to expect that Nintendo will want to change the screens again anytime soon (short of possibly making an "XL" version). All of these problems were first generation problems for the DS form factor -- it doesn't matter that they had been making portables for long before that, as the DS was a huge change and all of the problems that they fixed centered around that change. In those respects, the 3DS is nowhere near as big a change. The changes in it (memory, processor, etc.) are more likely to remain static longer.

The only thing that they're likely to take major flak for this time around (other than, say, some people just not liking the 3D or whatever) is the battery life. But like I said, I don't think they're intentionally gimping that -- it is what it is. The 3DS is a considerably more powerful machine, and as such, it's going to eat power at a much faster rate. Will they eventually improve on it? Sure. They don't have it sitting right around the corner, though.

[quote name='eliter1']I agree. Nintendo said that there would be some games that were DSi ONLY but I don't think if anyone ever did one or not.[/QUOTE]

The only one that I think I've ever seen was the entirely forgettable Foto Showdown. A few other games could make use of some specific DSi features if they were available (such as Assassin's Creed 2 allowing you to use the camera to put your own picture on wanted posters), but didn't require them. It's pretty bad when even Nintendo themselves didn't really do anything to make use of the hardware. At least it's good to see that the 3DS is getting some actual support right out of the gate.

bread's done
Back