Launch Date March 27, 2011

Price $249.99 MSRP*

Included in Hardware The following is included in the hardware set:
  1. Nintendo 3DS system
  2. Nintendo 3DS charging cradle
  3. Nintendo 3DS AC adapter
  4. Nintendo 3DS stylus
  5. SD Memory Card (2GB)
  6. AR Card(s) (view the cards using the outer cameras to play supported AR games)
  7. Quick-Start Guide
  8. Operations Manual (including warranty)

Characteristic Features
  1. 3D screen, enabling 3D view without the need for special glasses and the ability to adjust or turn off 3D effect with the 3D Depth Slider.
  2. Stereo cameras that enable users to take 3D photos that can be viewed instantly on the 3D screen.
  3. New input interfaces including the Circle Pad, motion sensor, gyro sensor
  4. SpotPass, a feature that lets Nintendo 3DS detect wireless hotspots or wireless LAN access points and obtain information, game data, free software, videos and so on for players even when the system is in sleep mode.**
  5. StreetPass, a feature that lets Nintendo 3DS exchange data automatically with other Nintendo 3DS systems within range, even in sleep mode once this feature is activated by the user. Data for multiple games can be exchanged simultaneously.
  6. Convenient features that users can access without stopping game play such as the HOME menu, Internet Brower, Notifications, etc.
  7. Plenty of built-in software such as the Nintendo 3DS Camera, Nintendo 3DS Sound, Mii Maker, StreetPass, Mii Plaza, AR Games, Activity Log, Face Raiders, etc.
  8. Nintendo eShop where users can view trailers, software rankings and purchase software.
  9. System Transfer which enable users to transfer already purchased software from one Nintendo 3DS system to another. DSiWare purchased for the Nintendo DSi or the Nintendo DSi XL can also be transferred into a Nintendo 3DS system.***
  10. Compatibility functions where both new software designed for Nintendo 3DS and most software for the Nintendo DS family of systems can be played.
  11. Parental Controls which enable parents to restrict game content by ratings as well as use of specific wireless connectivity, 3D functionality, etc.****

Size (when closed) 2.9 inches high, 5.3 inches long, 0.8 inches deep.

Weight Approximately 8 ounces (including battery pack, stylus, SD memory card).

Upper Screen Wide-screen LCD display, enabling 3D view without the need for special glasses. Capable of displaying approximately 16.77 million colors. 3.53 inches display (3.02 inches wide, 1.81 inches high) with 800 x 240 pixel resolution. 400 pixels are allocated to each eye to enable 3D viewing.

Lower Screen LCD with a touch screen capable of displaying 16.77 million colors. 3.02 inches (2.42 inches wide, 1.81 inches high) with 320 x 240 pixel resolution.

Cameras One inner camera and two outer cameras. Resolutions are 640 x 480 for each camera. Lens are single focus and uses the CMOS capture element. The active pixel count is approximately 300,000 pixels.

Wireless Communication 2.4 GHz. Enabling local wireless communication among multiple Nintendo 3DS systems for game play and StreetPass. Enabling access to the Internet through wireless LAN access points (supports IEEE802.11 b/g with the WPA™/WPA2™ security feature). Recommended distance of wireless communication is within 98.4 feet. This can be shorter depending on the enviromental situation. WPA and WPA2 are marks of the Wi-Fi Alliance.

Input Controls Input controls are the following:
  1. A/B/X/Y Button, +Control Pad, L/R Button, START/SELECT
  2. Circle Pad (enabling 360-degree analog input)
  3. Touch screen
  4. Embedded microphone
  5. Camera
  6. Motion sensor
  7. Gyro sensor

Other Input Controls Other input controls are the following:
  1. 3D Depth Slider (enabling smooth adjustment of the 3D level effect)
  2. HOME (HOME button brings up the HOME menu)
  3. Wireless switch (can disable wireless functionality even during game play)
  4. POWER button

Connector Connector includes:
  1. Game Card slot
  2. SD Card slot
  3. Cradle connector
  4. AC adapter connector
  5. Audio jack (stereo output)

Sound Stereo speakers positioned to the left and right of the top screen (supports virtual surround sound).

Stylus Telescoping stylus (approximately 3.94 inches when fully extended).

Electric Power AC adaptor (WAP-002 [USA]). Nintendo 3DS Battery Pack (lithium ion battery) [CTR-003].

Charge Time About 3.5 hours

Battery Duration When playing Nintendo 3DS software about 3-5 hours. When playing Nintendo DS software about 5-8 hours. Battery duration differs depending on the brightness setting of the screen. The information regarding battery duration is a rough standard. It can be shorter depending on what functions of the Nintendo 3DS system are used.

Game Card Nintendo 3DS Game Card. The size is approximately the same as Nintendo DS Game Card.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tmacairjordan87']I don't think sony cares that the # of systems they sell gives me or anyone else a talking point. I'm sure they'd love to be selling like they did in the ps2 era, but you're not going to hear anyone who means anything say psp or ps3 is a failure because they didn't outsell Nintendo.

PS3 was a failure because it bled through all the money Sony made in the ps1 and ps2 era combined, not because it's currently 25ish million behind Wii.[/QUOTE]

PS3 established Blu Ray. For that reason alone Sony is probably doing just fine.

[quote name='gkrykewy']It does if you look at the trajectories -- PSP unit sales were very frontloaded, and they've sold about zero units of software outside japan over the last three years.[/QUOTE]

Is that the case? I can't find anything citing sales of anything. Obviously games must be selling at least decently that they're sold everywhere and we get a ton of new releases every year. Someone must be making money at it.

[quote name='Zaku77']You're also debating on a forum, in case you hadn't clicked on to that. It is important though. If you are going to talk about how "successful" something is. There's a hell of a lot of things making money out there. When the one is making 100K they are technically successful, but when the one competing with it next to it is making 1 million....That affects how successful they are. If you are competing for the same market; your competitor's success frames your own.[/QUOTE]

So? It's not 10:1 anyway, but regardless, if you're making money at it and from the outside can't even tell which is selling better, who cares? I mean I only care to the extent it affects development, and while the PSP's had a steady string of great games, it would probably be a lot more if all the DS development shifted over, but still, I can't complain.

EDIT: For that matter, the original Gameboy went through years of drought that were far, far worse than the PSP ever had, and that was during a time it had no competitors.

[quote name='tmacairjordan87']Not necessarily. Why do all the good games only appear on pc/ps3/360 then? They abandoned psp because it was being pirated to hell and Sony themselves seemed to stop caring in the middle of the psp's life. There was a year-year and a half gap where almost nothing came out, 1st or 3rd party.[/QUOTE]

but the DS was being pirated through flash carts and took the steps needed to fight it. Why would sony stop caring if they went on released the PSP Slim, 2000 ,3000 and PSPGO.

[quote name='tmacairjordan87']Not necessarily. Why do all the good games only appear on pc/ps3/360 then?[/quote]

*does double take*

Because most big developers who can want to develop on current gen hardware. Older hardware often doesn't have as much support from big devs. If anything though the PSP and DS have been gotten a lot more than normal. The PSP just had Metal Gear Solid 5 and the prequel to Kingdom Hearts (basically KH 3) and is getting Parasite Eve 3, etc. The DS just got Dragon Quest 9...they're getting a lot of high end support, but it's just not going to be as much as the current gen systems.

If anything, so long as the PSP 2 really is comparable (if it is), it's going to get that level of support because it'll be current gen too.

Besides which, you excluded the Wii, which is in the same boat, despite outselling any single one of the current gen systems (well, aside from PC, but probably outsells PCs that people play games on, maybe).

They abandoned psp because it was being pirated to hell and Sony themselves seemed to stop caring in the middle of the psp's life. There was a year-year and a half gap where almost nothing came out, 1st or 3rd party.

When was this? I've been buying games for it since launch day and don't remember any gap. I don't think it's gotten the success or support it should have, but it's never been terrible.

[quote name='integralsmatic']but the DS was being pirated through flash carts and took the steps needed to fight it. Why would sony stop caring if they went on released the PSP Slim, 2000 ,3000 and PSPGO.[/QUOTE]

Like I said there was a time when Sony didn't do anything, then around 08 they tried to launch a revival but it was already dead by then. Those revisions were part of the revival, and we all know how it went (specially the Go)

edit: might have been 09 instead of 08. Whatever year they came out of nowhere and announced a bunch of games like gt psp, lbp psp, motorstorm psp, jak and daxter etc.

edit2: yup it was 09 http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/267941

How what went? What revival? It's had a steady stream of games all along, and the Go doesn't have anything to do with anything. It's Sony's Gameboy Micro-a really ridiculous, inexplicable (for most people) product. They never made that the only system...it was just ignored and the 3000 continued selling.

[quote name='Wolfpup']How what went? What revival? It's had a steady stream of games all along, and the Go doesn't have anything to do with anything. It's Sony's Gameboy Micro-a really ridiculous, inexplicable (for most people) product. They never made that the only system...it was just ignored and the 3000 continued selling.[/QUOTE]

read the article i just put there

I don't think the PSP vs. DS discussion is equivalent to a 360 vs. PS3 discussion because whereas the 360 and PS3 offer similar types of games, the DS and PSP do not. If you like Nintendo's software, buy a DS. If you like Sony's, buy a PSP. If you like both, then buy both.

[quote name='Wolfpup']How what went? What revival? It's had a steady stream of games all along, and the Go doesn't have anything to do with anything. It's Sony's Gameboy Micro-a really ridiculous, inexplicable (for most people) product. They never made that the only system...it was just ignored and the 3000 continued selling.[/QUOTE]

In 2009 there was an absent of quality games from March (Resistance) to August (Dissidia). To be honest, I didn't really buy my PSP for sub-par versions of better PS3 games, so you can remove Resistance if you want and say the "drought" started in February with Locoroco 2's launch.

2008 was even worse, after Patapon in February, Chains of Olympus and Crisis Core in March, what else was there that year? Granted I loved all those games (COO a little less but the other two were sublime) but still, there just wasn't much out that year.

Feel free to correct me though. It's an interesting discussion.

Yeah that was the gap I was talking about. A couple decent games over the course of almost 2 years. I expect those gaps from Nintendo consoles, not Sony ones so I was extremely disappointed.

[quote name='tmacairjordan87']read the article i just put there[/QUOTE]

That just asserts that there was "almost ubiquitous" theft, and that software sales were stagnant.

At any rate, 2009 had a pretty good line up.

[quote name='Wolfpup']That just asserts that there was "almost ubiquitous" theft, and that software sales were stagnant.

At any rate, 2009 had a pretty good line up.[/QUOTE]

On a completely random and not at all related discussion, do you happen to know how Peace Walker is? I feel like you have a good knowledge of PSP games so I figured I'd ask. I absolutely loathed Portable Ops' recruitment gameplay, and I don't know how different this one turned out (Even though I read/watched some reviews).

[quote name='tmacairjordan87']Yeah that was the gap I was talking about. A couple decent games over the course of almost 2 years. I expect those gaps from Nintendo consoles, not Sony ones so I was extremely disappointed.[/QUOTE]

5 months isn't two years, and even if true, it's not uncommon for games to try up during that period on any system.

[quote name='Cheeseknight28']In 2009 there was an absent of quality games from March (Resistance) to August (Dissidia). To be honest, I didn't really buy my PSP for sub-par versions of better PS3 games, so you can remove Resistance if you want and say the "drought" started in February with Locoroco 2's launch.

I'll admit Resistance Retribution is still in my backlog, but if the developer's previous two games are any indication, it won't be a "sup-par version of a better PS3 game", but rather something original, ridiculously high quality and awesome. Giant Bomb gave it 4 stars, and IGN a 9.2, so I seriously doubt it's much worse than Bend's last two games.

At any rate, I'm looking through a release list, and while there's not much jumping out at me from April-July, there's still Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, the Persona 1 remake (which I've somehow lost somewhere in my home...) and Pangya which is supposed to be good, along with EA's sports games and the usual filler. That's not a terrible summer.

2008 was even worse, after Patapon in February, Chains of Olympus and Crisis Core in March, what else was there that year?

You mean for the rest of the year?
Dang...I was compiling a list but discovered it was by Japanese release dates. Going by IGN though there were some good to solid releases that year. Maybe that was a weaker year, but at worst I'm not seeing any gap in quality games longer than a few months in the PSP's library.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I'll admit Resistance Retribution is still in my backlog, but if the developer's previous two games are any indication, it won't be a "sup-par version of a better PS3 game", but rather something original, ridiculously high quality and awesome. Giant Bomb gave it 4 stars, and IGN a 9.2, so I seriously doubt it's much worse than Bend's last two games.[/QUOTE]

The reason I said that is simply because when given the option, I would take a console version of a game over the handheld one anyday (Especially when the two are so similar). That's my main gripe with the PSP's library - it's half ports and handheld versions of console counterparts. A lot of it's "best games" fall in this category - Chains of Olympus, Resistance, Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, Final Fantasy Tactics, etc. When a game is unique, such as Birth By Sleep (Which is the best in the series IMO) or Crisis Core, which doesn't play like any other Final Fantasy, I'm more inclined to play it. But if I'm at home, and I have the choice to play either Ghost of Sparta or God of War III (Assuming I've completed both), of course I'm going to pick the bigger, more vast game. It's a simple choice.

This is the main reason why I love my DS so much more. I can't play anything like Ghost Trick, or Phoenix Wright, or 999, or World Ends With You, or Professor Layton on my Wii, 360, or PS3. The games just aren't available there. On that note, why would I buy a NGP for portable Uncharted when I can just play... Uncharted 2? Because it's portable? The only times I ever play a portable game are in my room (Where I can play a console instead if I'm so inclined) or in the few times I'm on the bus and don't have important work to do.

I suppose it's a different strokes argument. A lot of people like having a PS2/PS3 in their pocket. I just prefer unique titles that I can't play elsewhere. Hence why I've always enjoyed the Pokemon series, they just don't make anything quite like it for consoles.

^^ Yep, I made these same points way back in one of these threads ;). But I agree, the PSP's failing with me (even though I own 2 of them and tons of games) was that when I went to pick a new game to play out of my backlog, it was always going to be a console game rather than playing a PSP game on the couch. The DS, on the other hand, has all those unique games you mentioned. I expect it to be the same with the 3DS vs NGP, though perhaps the near-PS3 quality of the NGP, 2 analog sticks, and trophy support may change my thinking a bit. With all that, I might actually be inclined to play a PSP2 game at home vs a console game.

I do also have some changing circumstances in that I have 2 boys who console game all the time + a wife, a daughter, and another younger son who all like to watch different things on Netflix. The boys are getting older and are getting into online gaming like Halo and of course LBP2. So that may mean I get more and more pushed towards a handheld by default as the years progress ;). So maybe this will be a good thing for me. For example, I may have no choice about playing Uncharted 3 and may have to go with the NGP version instead.

[quote name='Wolfpup']5 months isn't two years, and even if true, it's not uncommon for games to try up during that period on any system.

You mean for the rest of the year?
Dang...I was compiling a list but discovered it was by Japanese release dates. Going by IGN though there were some good to solid releases that year. Maybe that was a weaker year, but at worst I'm not seeing any gap in quality games longer than a few months in the PSP's library.[/quote]

I said a few decent games over the course of 2 years. The gap doesn't stop when 1 game comes out unless there's more on the way and soon, and that simply wasn't the case with the psp for a while.

PS: The resistance game was ok, but it definitely would have been a much better game with a 2nd stick

I'm all for console experiences on handhelds. Hell, it's the main reason why I'm actually interested in psp2 (the first handheld that I can say I'm excited for since....ever really).

When people say they want games unique to a handheld's abilities, it screams "i want games that use gimmicks" to me, and those games are usually casual games or they try to cram them in actual games and it hurts it (i'm looking at you, zelda DS games).

Give me a first year for psp2 that includes killzone, uncharted, possibly a gears of war since Epic owns it, and a really good western rpg and it will already be my favorite handheld ever.

I guess it all depends on what games you want to play. Ok, yeah, there were big gaps in time between current-gen console-style games on the PSP. On the other hand, that wasn't why I bought a PSP in the first place. Atlus, NIS, and companies like that have kept a pretty steady stream of titles coming of the type of games that I like to play on that system. The PSP pretty much became the successor of the PS2 on those titles.

In fact, for a while, the PSP seemed to be the system of choice for those companies -- presumably because there were too many costs involved in PS3/360 development? I'll be curious to see what direction they go with this new generation of handhelds coming.

[quote name='arcane93']I guess it all depends on what games you want to play. Ok, yeah, there were big gaps in time between current-gen console-style games on the PSP. On the other hand, that wasn't why I bought a PSP in the first place. Atlus, NIS, and companies like that have kept a pretty steady stream of titles coming of the type of games that I like to play on that system. The PSP pretty much became the successor of the PS2 on those titles.

In fact, for a while, the PSP seemed to be the system of choice for those companies -- presumably because there were too many costs involved in PS3/360 development? I'll be curious to see what direction they go with this new generation of handhelds coming.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, for the most part this is what I keep buying for the PSP - and I even have Tactics Ogre preordered. But I still never find the time to play them. I still have the original Valkyria Chronicles in my backlog. And I also own 2 for the PSP. If I ever get around to playing that game, I'll choose the PS3 version no doubt. And I have plenty of other JRPGs to play on the PS3 (and even a few on the 360) before hitting those PSP ones (though I may break down and play Persona 3 since I never played the PS2 game despite getting both the original release and FES at release ;)).

[quote name='tmacairjordan87']
PS: The resistance game was ok, but it definitely would have been a much better game with a 2nd stick[/QUOTE]
You could play it with a Dual Shock if you had Resistance 2, and it really wasn't better.

I'm not understanding this dumb ass logic that people would just play console iterations of a franchise instead of a portable iteration just because its on psp but yet this logic doesn't apply to Nintendo. Mario kart ds why play that when you could play mario kart wii, same wit phoenix wright, zelda, etc why is that its ok for these games to be portable but if a franchise branches out to psp and tries to have a diff story arc etc people would rather just play a console iteration of said franchise because they think the psp version is the "watered" down port when it isn't even a port to begin with , makes no sense to me but whatever

I am suprised there are not more mentions of adults buying systems because their spouse hogs the TV or to play at family events. As a 28 year old I often find my wife wanting to use the TV for netflix or DVDs and myself left to play on my handholds or the PC with headphones on. I also have to go to a lot of family events where I really do not care for 90% of the people there. Both these situations mean I am glad to have a portable system that I can really sink some time in to.

Quick question for you all, I preordered the 3DS the other day off of Amazon and paid using some gift cards and a credit card to cover the remaining. Can I add more gift cards to my account that will apply to the 3DS preorder so the credit card is charged less?

[quote name='Woot1337']Quick question for you all, I preordered the 3DS the other day off of Amazon and paid using some gift cards and a credit card to cover the remaining. Can I add more gift cards to my account that will apply to the 3DS preorder so the credit card is charged less?[/QUOTE]
Gift cards? Yes. You just need to go to the order page and you should have a new button that says "apply gift card balance to order" or something to that effect.

Promotional credits? Maybe. You'll have to convince a CSR rep to apply it to the order for you and people have gotten mixed responses.

[quote name='renique46']I'm not understanding this dumb ass logic that people would just play console iterations of a franchise instead of a portable iteration just because its on psp but yet this logic doesn't apply to Nintendo. Mario kart ds why play that when you could play mario kart wii, same wit phoenix wright, zelda, etc why is that its ok for these games to be portable but if a franchise branches out to psp and tries to have a diff story arc etc people would rather just play a console iteration of said franchise because they think the psp version is the "watered" down port when it isn't even a port to begin with , makes no sense to me but whatever[/QUOTE]
If you compare Zelda on the consoles to Zelda on the handhelds they are two way different experiences. Sure it's still Zelda but it's two different experiences that are both unique. If you compare some PSP games to the console iterations, they play almost the same, they have the same graphic style, etc. A prime example here is Socom (and before you say anything I have clocked easily around 400 hours between Socom 2,3 and combined assault).

Now back on topic here. Does anyone know if the 3DS will receive OS updates like the Wii does?

[quote name='renique46']I'm not understanding this dumb ass logic that people would just play console iterations of a franchise instead of a portable iteration just because its on psp but yet this logic doesn't apply to Nintendo. Mario kart ds why play that when you could play mario kart wii, same wit phoenix wright, zelda, etc why is that its ok for these games to be portable but if a franchise branches out to psp and tries to have a diff story arc etc people would rather just play a console iteration of said franchise because they think the psp version is the "watered" down port when it isn't even a port to begin with , makes no sense to me but whatever[/QUOTE]

Mario Kart DS came out a couple of years before Mario Kart Wii, and having played many hours of both, I can attest that the two games play differently.

[quote name='arcane93']I guess it all depends on what games you want to play. Ok, yeah, there were big gaps in time between current-gen console-style games on the PSP. On the other hand, that wasn't why I bought a PSP in the first place. Atlus, NIS, and companies like that have kept a pretty steady stream of titles coming of the type of games that I like to play on that system. The PSP pretty much became the successor of the PS2 on those titles.

In fact, for a while, the PSP seemed to be the system of choice for those companies -- presumably because there were too many costs involved in PS3/360 development? I'll be curious to see what direction they go with this new generation of handhelds coming.[/QUOTE]

Problem is, other than ports of Persona and Persona 3, Atlus' focus was on the DS. Devil Survivor and Strange Journey are both excellent unique titles, and I don't think the PSP received any new SMT games.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']If you compare Zelda on the consoles to Zelda on the handhelds they are two way different experiences. Sure it's still Zelda but it's two different experiences that are both unique. If you compare some PSP games to the console iterations, they play almost the same, they have the same graphic style, etc. A prime example here is Socom (and before you say anything I have clocked easily around 400 hours between Socom 2,3 and combined assault).

Now back on topic here. Does anyone know if the 3DS will receive OS updates like the Wii does?[/QUOTE]

It depends on which Zeldas you look at...Zeldas for Gameboy Advance and previous systems (Minish Cap, Oracle of X, Link's Awakening) played near identical to Link to the Past. Ocarina of Time/Twilight Princess/etc. type gameplay has yet to be recreated on a handheld, with the exception of the upcoming Ocarina of Time port...and it's a game a lot of people seem really jazzed about. The Nintendo DS Zelda's feature unique gameplay not seen on other handhelds, but it's debatable that it was for the better.

I can guarantee that the 3DS will receive OS updates. One of the "features" of the always-on wifi is that it'll be able to update without the user knowing. The DSi already has OS updates, but only checks whenever you try to log on to the DSi-ware store. Currently, the only things I've seen updates do is implement safeguards to stop piracy (but often failing).

[quote name='Cheeseknight28']Problem is, other than ports of Persona and Persona 3, Atlus' focus was on the DS. Devil Survivor and Strange Journey are both excellent unique titles, and I don't think the PSP received any new SMT games.[/QUOTE]

No, but Atlus also isn't all SMT games . . . (I'm including "published by", not just "developed by") Besides the Persona ports (which, honestly, I was pretty happy to see the port of the first Persona, as I'd never gotten to play the original), their PSP titles also include Crimson Gem Saga, Yggdra Union, Hexyz Force, Metal Slug XX, Kenka Bancho, Class of Heroes, Hammerin' Hero, Riviera, Jewel Summoner, and their PSP remake of Knights in the Nightmare. Though you're right to an extent, they have been more directed toward the DS; a considerably larger portion of the PSP support has come from NIS.

My point being, there have been more than enough of those types of titles to keep me perfectly happy with my PSP (especially given how many hours it takes to get through a lot of these games), even if the "big" titles with more mass appeal have been somewhat few and far between. I'd honestly rather play these titles on my PSP than Uncharted/Assassin's Creed/LittleBigPlanet/whatever.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I am suprised there are not more mentions of adults buying systems because their spouse hogs the TV or to play at family events. As a 28 year old I often find my wife wanting to use the TV for netflix or DVDs and myself left to play on my handholds or the PC with headphones on. I also have to go to a lot of family events where I really do not care for 90% of the people there. Both these situations mean I am glad to have a portable system that I can really sink some time in to.[/QUOTE]

That's one of the reasons why I love portable gaming so much. She's happy cause I'm watching TV with her, I'm happy cause I'm not watching TV with her.

I went ahead and threw down $50 for a black 3DS at Gamestop. I'm still not sure what launch titles I want since as of today the pickings are pretty slim, but I didn't want to wait for summer and have to hunt for one. Probably just end up getting Ridge Racer and Nintendogs + Cats. Hopefully MGS3 comes out close to launch.

I'll get the NGP when it comes out too. I'm more excited for this then I am the 3DS, but I think both will be great systems. I'm also glad that I switched a lot of my PSP collection to digital so I'll be able to play them on the NGP.

[quote name='omyard']That's one of the reasons why I love portable gaming so much. She's happy cause I'm watching TV with her, I'm happy cause I'm not watching TV with her.[/QUOTE]

Heheh exactly. My wife loves that I am sitting there, or better yet laying there with her on my chest and meanwhile I get to play games. I usually am playing 2 or 3 games at any given time. A big complicated game for myself, a quick game for downtimes and an arcady or grindy game that I play while listening to a podcast or watching stuff with my wife.

On a sep note my DSI XL is about to sell on ebay for around $130ish shipped. Glad I tossed it up before the market dried up, not a bad price and if I wanted a 3DS now it would only cost me $120.

Ditto. And I don't care if it's the same thing or a different thing...I mean probably in most cases it's a different game, but even if it's not, if it's able to provide the same experience, why is that a bad thing? As it slipped from being part of the same gen to last gen hardware, for the most part the only games it got that were the same were the same as other systems from that gen like PS2 and Wii...only it's portable.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I am suprised there are not more mentions of adults buying systems because their spouse hogs the TV or to play at family events. As a 28 year old I often find my wife wanting to use the TV for netflix or DVDs and myself left to play on my handholds or the PC with headphones on. I also have to go to a lot of family events where I really do not care for 90% of the people there. Both these situations mean I am glad to have a portable system that I can really sink some time in to.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. This doesn't come up as much for me anymore, but there are times when it does, and it's...well it was awesome to be able to pull out a reasonably modern system in 1989, and it's awesome in 2011.

I don't know, I'm probably not expressing myself well, but I think handhelds can really rock.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']If you compare Zelda on the consoles to Zelda on the handhelds they are two way different experiences. Sure it's still Zelda but it's two different experiences that are both unique. If you compare some PSP games to the console iterations, they play almost the same, they have the same graphic style, etc. A prime example here is Socom (and before you say anything I have clocked easily around 400 hours between Socom 2,3 and combined assault).[/quote]

I thought Socom were not only entirely new games, but played really differently? Like I played a demo for a sort of turn based strategy based Socom game that AFAIK was nothing like the PS2 ones (aside from graphically). I could be wrong though as I never played the PS2 games and the PSP ones were too hardcore for me.

But at any rate, most games like that are a new game. Syphon Filter's productions values are insane. Resistance is a very different game and presumably awesome given the developer and (also) near perfect ratings. Heck, Ridge Racers is one of my favorite racing games ever, and is better than any of the console iterations IMO. God of War, the prequel to FF7, the prequel to Kingdom Hearts, Parasite Eve 3, bajillions of RPGs, Loco Roco, etc...

Stuff's usually either original, or (since this current gen started) a version of the same game released on the PS2 and/or Wii, which is fine since the PSP can do justice to that. (Or occasionally it's something that targets all the platforms, like some of the Ben 10 games and Tomb Raider and the Lego X games, where they try to do basically the same game on PS2/PSP/Wii/Xbox/PS3, and just make the current gen hardware render it shinier).

Now back on topic here. Does anyone know if the 3DS will receive OS updates like the Wii does?

That's a good question. My guess is it will, since every system post Playstation Portable has had updated firmware.

[quote name='Cheeseknight28']Problem is, other than ports of Persona and Persona 3, Atlus' focus was on the DS. Devil Survivor and Strange Journey are both excellent unique titles, and I don't think the PSP received any new SMT games.[/QUOTE]

Guess this was addressed, but there's a bucketload of games like that from Atlus and all 100 other of those companies. As always, every single DS game I wish it was on the PSP instead (ditto for Wii stuff...there's a lot of great games on both systems-some that even look really good, but in every case, why not put them on a generation newer hardware?)

[quote name='MSI Magus']Heheh exactly. My wife loves that I am sitting there, or better yet laying there with her on my chest and meanwhile I get to play games. I usually am playing 2 or 3 games at any given time. A big complicated game for myself, a quick game for downtimes and an arcady or grindy game that I play while listening to a podcast or watching stuff with my wife.[/quote]

I went through a phase where I did that. Like I'd have one game I "warmed up" with, like a fighting game or some action game, then some big deep adventure or RPG. Now I just have a single game going at home, typically on console since I save portable and PC games for when I'm out. Don't know why I don't have two going on console anymore.

On a sep note my DSI XL is about to sell on ebay for around $130ish shipped. Glad I tossed it up before the market dried up, not a bad price and if I wanted a 3DS now it would only cost me $120.

Oh man, you're selling yours? Honestly once the 3DS was announced I was happier about my decision to just break down and buy an XL, since even if I get a 3DS, the XL will run DS games better. I LOVE those screens! Really bright and big and nice quality!

Of course in my case I have... [runs to count] 17 unplayed DS games, and at least one more to buy this year (and probably more I'm not seeing that fell under my bed :lol:) so I'll still be putting hundreds of hours on my XL just to play NEW games, let alone replay stuff years from now.

[quote name='Wolfpup']
Oh man, you're selling yours? Honestly once the 3DS was announced I was happier about my decision to just break down and buy an XL, since even if I get a 3DS, the XL will run DS games better. I LOVE those screens! Really bright and big and nice quality!

Of course in my case I have... [runs to count] 17 unplayed DS games, and at least one more to buy this year (and probably more I'm not seeing that fell under my bed :lol:) so I'll still be putting hundreds of hours on my XL just to play NEW games, let alone replay stuff years from now.[/QUOTE]

I am looking at it not as getting rid of my XL but getting good money for it. I got $127 for it and I bet within 3 months it will be selling for $60-$80. I am happy to sell it for around $130 then find a used one on sale cheap in a few months and pick it up for around $60. End of the day I got $70 just to go without a DS for 2 or 3 months. Or I could buy a 3DS if it looks impressive enough and end of the day it only cost me $120ish.

Trust me, I like you still have like 20+ DS games in my backlog.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']If you compare Zelda on the consoles to Zelda on the handhelds they are two way different experiences. Sure it's still Zelda but it's two different experiences that are both unique. If you compare some PSP games to the console iterations, they play almost the same, they have the same graphic style, etc. A prime example here is Socom (and before you say anything I have clocked easily around 400 hours between Socom 2,3 and combined assault).
[/QUOTE]

Not really. The main difference in the handheld zelda's to this day is that it's an overhead view. Other than that it follows pretty much the same formula as every other zelda.

Oh, and on DS they're worse games because you HAVE to use the touch pad to control, at least in Spirit Tracks you had to (I didn't play much of PH). The actual game was pretty mediocre, but using the d pad to control instead of touch only would have been a 100000000% improvement.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Oh man, you're selling yours? Honestly once the 3DS was announced I was happier about my decision to just break down and buy an XL, since even if I get a 3DS, the XL will run DS games better. I LOVE those screens! Really bright and big and nice quality!

Of course in my case I have... [runs to count] 17 unplayed DS games, and at least one more to buy this year (and probably more I'm not seeing that fell under my bed :lol:) so I'll still be putting hundreds of hours on my XL just to play NEW games, let alone replay stuff years from now.[/QUOTE]

I'm keeping my Mario XL since I like the bigger screen on the XL and I don't like that the bottom screen is smaller on the 3DS. I'm sure eventually I'll move to only playing on the 3DS, but for the near future I'll stick to both. I also have a huge back catalog of DS games I need to burn through.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I also have to go to a lot of family events where I really do not care for 90% of the people there. Both these situations mean I am glad to have a portable system that I can really sink some time in to.[/QUOTE]
Maybe it's time to grow up and learn to interact politely with adults.

I went to gamestop to put more money down and they check the system and there was no record of my preorder. I preordered when they starting taking them before they were aggressive.

I had to go home and dig for my receipt. I found it and the phone number I gave them was correct. Dam I hate to think what would happen if I couldn't find the receipt.

[quote name='grap3fruitman']Maybe it's time to grow up and learn to interact politely with adults.[/QUOTE]

I like the way you make a judgement of me without knowing me or my family.....and yet tell me to grow up and act like an adult. I am a polar contrast compared to most of my family and they judge me very harshly for it. They are uncomfortable both because I have a mohawk and tats and what not, but also because I save my money and follow issues like politics and love video games vs simply sitting around watching sports. Thus in their eyes I am a man child for playing games and still having "the style of a teenager" despite the fact that I am smart with my money and work hard to be knowledgeable about the world around me.

I tried for years and years to get along with my family, I did not even try communicating in my way but theirs. I went to football games, asked about things they were interested in etc etc. End of the day I was still constantly being either insulted or ignored. So, why not just grab my DS and play a game? I still show up at family events, and if someone wants to talk to me I gladly turn the system off and chat with them. 99% of the time though its not an issue, they would rather ignore me anyways ;)

Next time you want to tell someone to be an adult....realize judging people without knowing them is extremely childish ;)

[quote name='tmacairjordan87']Not really. The main difference in the handheld zelda's to this day is that it's an overhead view. Other than that it follows pretty much the same formula as every other zelda.

Oh, and on DS they're worse games because you HAVE to use the touch pad to control, at least in Spirit Tracks you had to (I didn't play much of PH). The actual game was pretty mediocre, but using the d pad to control instead of touch only would have been a 100000000% improvement.[/QUOTE]

Thank you

zelda isnt different its wind waker style graphics classic zelda game how is it different again? but once again it gets the free pass cause its Nintendo.

and that crunch gear article is the biggest pile of shit i think ive read today nothing they said was "spot on" period.

[quote name='foltzie']Largely Spot on, but it misses one point. The PSP sol 60 million units, that isnt failure even if it is half of the DS sales.[/QUOTE]

Which is almost 3 times the total amount the Gamecube sold...

[quote name='foltzie']Largely Spot on, but it misses one point. The PSP sol 60 million units, that isnt failure even if it is half of the DS sales.[/QUOTE]

It depends. PSP sold a lot but the software market is/was dead in U.S. and Europe and I would bet Sony does consider it a failure in those regions. In Japan PSP was definitely a success.

I pre-ordered a Black and a Blue one already, can't wait for the 3DS!

On the other hadn, I can wait until a price drop and re-design for the NGP, won't be worth it at full price.

All right, if I break down and preorder one of these things on the premise that you really can make the screen JUST like a normal LCD screen (and I want Pilotwings/Paper Mario) what color do I get?

I want blue, 'cause black is boring, but...I don't know, it looks like black is less distracting from the pictures, you know what I mean? Like games might just blend into it better.

[quote name='grap3fruitman']Maybe it's time to grow up and learn to interact politely with adults.[/QUOTE]What if those adults are annoying or boring? :lol:

[quote name='Wolfpup']All right, if I break down and preorder one of these things on the premise that you really can make the screen JUST like a normal LCD screen (and I want Pilotwings/Paper Mario) what color do I get?

I want blue, 'cause black is boring, but...I don't know, it looks like black is less distracting from the pictures, you know what I mean? Like games might just blend into it better.[/QUOTE]
I was having the same problem. I was 100 percent for the black, but then at the last second before preorder I changed my mind. It is just too boring. :p

bread's done
Back