Nintendo 3DS games - best ones?

thefreshfridge

CAG Newbie
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to get some opinions on what the best games to buy this year are for the Nintendo 3DS. We just got a 3ds XL and so far I have:

- Pokemon X

- Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.

Any other recommendations?

I want to stock up on a few games while I can get them with the store deals running in December.

I'm not opposed to regular DS games too, if they are fun to play.

Thanks!

Fire emblem Awakening

Luigis Mansion

Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Mario & Luigi Dream Team

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Donkey Kong country returns

Star Fox 64

Mario Kart 7

Zelda - Ocarina of Time

Super Mario 3D Land

Good list to start with..

Final Fantasy: Theatrhythm

I've been enjoying this title immensely. I've only been playing it in short bursts, but the structure of the game is very conducive to this style of play. It is a well-implemented rhythm game set to the iconic music of the Final Fantasy series. The art is highly stylized, but very appealing. The biggest problem with the game is that I often find myself wanting to watch what's going on in the background instead of following the rhythm prompts. This is a fine game for rhythm-game fans, and a must-have for fans of the Final Fantasy series and it's music.

On top of what everyone else said, Ghost Recon Shadow Wars is good if you like turn based tactics games and Julian Gollop (the man behind the original X-COM).

It's a little bit like Advance Wars if that helps.

If you've played previous paper marios and thoroughly enjoyed them, then it may be better to avoid the game.  Otherwise, I think it is an enjoyable game, and it's generally cheap.  I've never played the previous games sadly, so I had no expectations for the game...

I also agree with Animal Crossing New Leaf and Super Mario 3D Land.  

If you've played previous paper marios and thoroughly enjoyed them, then it may be better to avoid the game. Otherwise, I think it is an enjoyable game, and it's generally cheap. I've never played the previous games sadly, so I had no expectations for the game...

I also agree with Animal Crossing New Leaf and Super Mario 3D Land.
Do yourself a HUGE favor and play the original Paper Mario. It's such an amazingly fun game. It gives Mario 64 a run of it's money as the best Mario title for the 64. The gamecube one is good, too, but not as good, imo.

My favorites:

• Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • Mario vs. Donkey Kong

Honorable mention:

• Pushmo
  • Super Mario 3D Land
  • Zelda: OoT
  • Professor Layton: Mircale Mask
  • New Super Mario Bros. 2

The two Zelda games are wonderful, IMO. Other than that... I don't know.  

Project X Zone might be good, Shinboi too... I have both, but haven't gotten around to playing them yet.

Starfox 64 and Mario Kart 7 are probably okay, if you want Starfox or Mario Kart games.

I've played NSMB2, LM2, and DKCR but they weren't really *good*, let alone *great*.   NSMB2 was just kind of... boring.  It was better than NSMB on the DS, but that's not hard to do.  LM2 started off great, but the end of the game has some really terrible design choices that just mar the experience.  DKCR seemed like it was going to do a great job of capturing my nostalgia for the SNES DKC games, but the controls were just... horrible.

Outside of that, you could always get more Zelda games.  Both the Oracle games and Link's Awakening are on the eShop.  I've not gotten to play the Oracle games yet, but Link's Awakening is still fantastic.

Here's a list based on 3DS games I own.

Zelda OoT

Fire Emblem Awakening

Pokemon X&Y

The Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds

Etrian Odyssey IV

Shin Megami Tensei IV

Cave Story

Luigi's Mansion

Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Star Fox 64

Mario Kart 7

Super Mario 3D Land

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (played it on the PS Vita)

Kid Icarus: Uprising

RE Revelations

Professor Layton and Miracle Mask

Last edited by a moderator:
I pretty much enjoyed Paper Mario. Plus it's always on sale and it's the cheapest Mario game you will find on either the DS and 3DS for $20 and under. Animal Crossing: New Leaf is a fun game. There is so much to do, you'll be playing for weeks or months.

Do yourself a HUGE favor and play the original Paper Mario. It's such an amazingly fun game. It gives Mario 64 a run of it's money as the best Mario title for the 64. The gamecube one is good, too, but not as good, imo.
I definitely will. I've always wanted to play them, but I never did for whatever reason...

Pokemon x is super addicting and if you are a fan of Adventure Time you cant go wrong with adventure time Hey Ice King Why'd You Steal Our Garbage. Also I haven't beaten it yet but Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon is really good.

For the love of nintendo get fire emblem next. So fun and gives you so much time of enjoyment. I play in short bursts but have like 25 hours into it so far.

bread's done
Back