Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='Ragnorok64']So I went over the weekend. I got 252 street pass tags over the weekend. I kept clearing the queue but for all of Saturday I didn't realize I needed to use the new Mii's immediately so I didn't make near the kind of progress I could have. Oh well.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo World Store is also a great place to rack up SPs if anyone is in NYC. I visit there at least once a week to get tags, participate in events, browse/purchase, etc.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']So I went over the weekend. I got 252 street pass tags over the weekend. I kept clearing the queue but for all of Saturday I didn't realize I needed to use the new Mii's immediately so I didn't make near the kind of progress I could have. Oh well.[/QUOTE]

lol... I made that same mistake at first, that is quite a lot of tags to get at once, so far I've accrued 192 in the wild. I like how they map where they are from So far I've hit Hawaii, California (mostly), Nevada, Arizona, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Mississippi, Kentucky, New York, Australia, 5 different regions in Japan, Anguilla, Alberta in Canada, and Mexico.

[quote name='skiizim']lol... I made that same mistake at first, that is quite a lot of tags to get at once, so far I've accrued 192 in the wild. I like how they map where they are from So far I've hit Hawaii, California (mostly), Nevada, Arizona, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Mississippi, Kentucky, New York, Australia, 5 different regions in Japan, Anguilla, Alberta in Canada, and Mexico.[/QUOTE]
Glad to know I wasn't the only one. I honestly don't aticipate being anywhere where I can get much of any hits until I go back next year.

[quote name='Cheapskate']I'm not sure I see the point of a 2D Mario game at this point, when SM3DL did such a good job of combining 3D and 2D Mario elements into a single game. Especially if it ends up not being a downloadable title.

And do we really need three Mario adventure games in the span of close to 12 months? A Metroid game would be nice...[/QUOTE]

Co-Op. That's my best guess. 4-players, online play, 12D! However I 100% agree with you on too much Mario at the moment. After NSMBW, SMG2 and SM3DL, I'm really feeling franchise fatigue.

And there hasn't been a
real
Metroid game on a handheld since 2004. I don't know though, I have this strange feeling that Retro has a second development team now. Still, I think Metroid would work better on Wii U than 3DS.

I think it's great that we're getting plenty of Mario on the 3DS. It seemed that you'd be lucky to get more than one big Mario adventure title per system oh so recently (until SMG2 sorta broke that curse on the Wii). The more the merrier! We seriously do need a new Metroid game on this system at some point in the future. I'd personally love a 2D styled game but 3D would be fine too.

Seeing it in action, I think it actually looks pretty nice. Not that I ever had any qualms with it in the first place, though. I hated the new Resident Evil demo, but this looks like it'll actually make the game playable...but I'm still holding out for a version that includes a battery pack.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Those of you interested in Sakura Samurai? It's getting a 90 from IGN.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/sakura-samurai-art-of-the-sword

Comes out 2/2 according to eShop. I'm going to have to get me another point card.[/QUOTE]

IGN and (more importantly) Nintendo Life both liked it, but that review from NintendoWorldReport is pretty different, and not nearly as complimentary:
I found that most of my failures would come about when I was lulled into a near sleep by similar enemies until the game threw a slightly different one at me. ... Easily the highlight of the game, the bosses feel underutilized, which makes their appearances very welcome but also shines a light on the game’s shallow nature outside of these encounters.

Does any game actually use Play Coins? I recall hearing games would be able to let you spend them to unlock stuff, but I never hear about any games that actually supports that option. They seem to just be Mii Plaza coins for the foreseeable future.

@FriskyTanuki- Play Coins are actually used on Super Monkey Ball 3DS as a way to unlock characters after beating several of the mini games, that is the only game I know that uses play coins after that nothing else uses these. This currency is useless no credit at all I can imagine taking them to a coinstar and maybe getting like a nickel out of 300 coins.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-resident-evil-revelations/17-5605/

The beginning portion of Giant Bomb's RE 3DS quick look should give people interested in the Circle Pad Pro an idea of what it looks like in action and how much bulk it adds to the system.[/QUOTE]

I didn't realize just how thick the add-on is... it seriously turns the 3DS into a boat. I don't feel like the added functionality is worth the loss of portability. Plus, I'm completely unwilling to give up the Nyko battery cradle. In addition to the super long battery life, it gives it quite a good grip (worth noting for the above post complaining of the 3DS being small) and is only $10 at BB.

I simultaneously think it's an interesting take on like what Sony and Microsoft do with persistent stuff between games, and am annoyed by them. I sure wouldn't want to have to have them to do something in a game.

I've never done any of that Mii Plaza stuff...

Yeah, not accurate at all. I can confirm Dead or Alive Dimensions being able to use coins to buy costumes and figurines. I remember reading something along the lines of what FriskyTanuki said about "unlocking stuff" but who knows what it will bring in the future. I do know 10 per day is not enough and should be raised to at least 20.

@Wolfpup don't start with the mii games, it will get you hooked!

Just got my Flame Red 3DS. I ordered it "very good" from Amazon Warehouse Deals for $132. Looks brand new, but they repackaged it in a generic box. I don't have any games yet, but this thing is smaller than I thought. I'll mess with for a couple hours tonight. I'll have to wait until Friday to get some retail games.

I went to GameStop yesterday and put a full down payment on a Circle Pad Pro. I feel dirty... I haven't pre-ordered anything from GameStop in about 12 years. Ugh.

[quote name='Javery']So anyone got any recommendations other than Mario 3D Land, Zelda:OoT and RE?[/QUOTE]

I really enjoyed Ghost Recon, it's turn based and your guys can level up which is nice. I only wish they had a fantasy sword/sorcery version of this game. like the D&D one for PSP.

Nintendogs & Cats for some reason is entertaining as well, the price also has dropped for both these games and you could most likely get both for around $30 at walmart or TRU.

I thought Tetris Axis was great, but I hadn't really played a tetris game since the original game boy release. Multiple modes and online play. Only thing missing was a level editor for the "Shadow Wide" mode. I've put about 20 hours into the game so far.

Good to hear it's good. I've thought about buying it, though would prefer it on the Vita with a bigger screen :(

I liked the original GameBoy Tetris. Liked Tetris DX. Didn't really care about Tetris for the DS...not sure if that's just because it wasn't as good somehow, or if I'm just burnt out on Tetris, but still, I should maybe pick up Axis...

[quote name='Javery']So anyone got any recommendations other than Mario 3D Land, Zelda:OoT and RE?[/QUOTE]

Star Fox holds up well, looks great and the short levels make it a great game for a portable system. Score attack and branching pathways make for a lot of replay value, too. I played the living hell out of SF64 15 years ago and found I still really enjoyed it on the 3DS. I can't recommend it at MSRP but it's definitely a lot of fun.

[quote name='nickerous']I thought Tetris Axis was great, but I hadn't really played a tetris game since the original game boy release. Multiple modes and online play. Only thing missing was a level editor for the "Shadow Wide" mode. I've put about 20 hours into the game so far.[/QUOTE]

I'm tempted to pick this up. I haven't played anything Tetris since Tetrisphere 64. Wow, that was a long time ago...

I regret selling off my 3DS system prior to the holidays now that Resident Evil is so favorably reviewed, and Nintendo 3DS eShop is offering digital game downloads for coins via their reward club program. When another collector's edition variant or 3DS bundle debuts, I will return to the fold. However, I still think the lack of a 2nd analog stick in the original build kind of sux.

[quote name='100xp']I really enjoyed Ghost Recon, it's turn based and your guys can level up which is nice. I only wish they had a fantasy sword/sorcery version of this game. like the D&D one for PSP.

Nintendogs & Cats for some reason is entertaining as well, the price also has dropped for both these games and you could most likely get both for around $30 at walmart or TRU.[/QUOTE]

Would you say Ghost Recon is as good as the Advance Wars for the original DS?

Pleasantly surprised with Nintendo's original offerings on the eShop. I have all of them so far, and haven't been disappointed with any of them. Pushmo & Mutant Mudds are my two favorites, but Sakura Samurai & Mighty Switch Force are really great games... They even make good use of the 3D effects. Freakyforms is even pretty good if you're into that sort of thing, though the 3D is virtually non-existent. Now if only they would get their butts in motion with the Virtual Console! :roll:

[quote name='sandaz93']Would you say Ghost Recon is as good as the Advance Wars for the original DS?[/QUOTE]
It's awesome, but I wouldn't quite say "as" good. It's a fun similar game with a much different personality. I guess it would be more like you got your G.I. Joe in my Advance Wars.

Cave Story 3D - an awesome remake of the classic and the graphical enhancements are really well done. If you've never played this, get it!

Mario Kart 7 - always fun to play and definitely worth getting, especially for multiplayer.

Kid Icarus: Uprising - coming in March, looks like it's gonna be all kinds of awesome! Plus comes with a bonus download code for 3D Classics: Kid Icarus when you pre-order form GameStop, Best Buy or Amazon.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Javery']So what the hell is the Pokedex? Does it do anything? Is there a game in there?[/QUOTE]
It's not a game, and it's pretty low-budget. You collect a few Pokemon a day via SpotPass, but have to trade to get them all, naturally.

The Pokemon look pretty cool, though. Nice to see them move some. Won't have a problem with them switching to those graphics for the next Pokemon game.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Excellent to hear. I bought a new points card last night and intend to get the game soon.[/QUOTE]

I like it so far too. Strangely, the presentation is better looking than the actual game though. It feels at times this game was from the N64 era.

Anyways, if anyone wants to access Nintendo Zone from home, just change your SSID to attwifi and leave it unsecured. Finally, a good use of my dual-band router.

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=171431

I don't feel like starting (or finding) a thread for it, so to just drop this here...

I am ridiculously fucking excited for Resident Evil.

Carry on.

I know this is a little crystal ball gazing, but I was thinking of picking up a 3DS soon. Has there been any realistic talk of a redesign any time soon? I know Nintendo always does this, but to me the buzz is not the same as the NDS so I would think the redesign might come later.

I'd be surprised by a redesign any sooner than a year from now, but that's more a gut feeling than based on any evidence.

Anyway... I just got back from picking up the Circle Pad. I haven't officially 'used' it yet, but I can say that I'm a fan of the feel. Very light, not too bulky, and I can already sense that it'll make the system much easier to hold for long gaming sessions. Also, it fits perfectly inside the Club Nintendo pouches, so that's going to my go-to when I need to take it with me.

I'd be surprised either way...

I mean I think it's WEIRD we haven't heard about one now, a better XL model or something with the second stick + 4 or 5" screen... but yet we haven't, so...maybe not.

Maybe at e3? Or maybe not if they're still doing the Wii U. Although I heard a rumor recently that they'd gone back to the drawing board on that, which I HOPE means they're going to use next generation hardware in it, have something that actually competes with what Sony and Microsoft do, and ideally it means they're ditching the silly controller too.

Well, according to the rumors, the next xbox will only be 20% more powerful than the curent Wii U specs. That's not a big difference.

I have supported the 3ds more in its first year than any other system so far. 12 games and $80 in eshop cards. Metal Gear Solid 3D and Kid Icarus will be the next two. I'm interested to hear more about Mario Tennis, Animal Crossing, and Luigi's Mansion 2. Who knows what else Nintendo has up their sleeves for E3? I've decided to hold off on the Vita and strictly concentrate on the 3DS right now. Not that I don't want the Vita. After getting burned by the 3DS, I think I'll wait until more games come out or a price drop hits. Wii-U is not on my radar for this year, but who knows. May just end up with it as well.

So I bought the Frankenstein system for the 3DS (AKA the circle pad :lol:). It's not as bad as I imagined, it feels alright. Now to wait for the UPS guy to ship my RE: Revalations to make sure the accessory is working.

[quote name='nickerous']Well, according to the rumors, the next xbox will only be 20% more powerful than the curent Wii U specs. That's not a big difference.[/quote]

No, and it also doesn't sound like it would be even worth releasing if true. It would just be the same as the Xbox 360, but slightly better.

After using it for a bit, I'm firmly a Circle Pad Pro fan. RE works great with it, though it took me a little learning curve to get used to a dual stick RE. I was surprised to find that RE also set the controls up so that Zr is used for picking up items and firing, and R is for secondary weapons. Control scheme, though still highly playable without the second stick, feels much less cumbersome with the accessory.

Just from RE, I can easily say that if you're planning on picking up games like RE and MGS, there's almost no reason not to drop the money on the stick. Not real travel friendly, but helps gameplay immensely. Just to bypass a 'face buttons' camera system in MGS is worth the $20.

bread's done
Back