Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

There's a new Nintendo Direct today, so here's the news from it:

Little Mac joins the cast of Super Smash Bros, which will be out later this year.

Mario Golf has a single-player mode where you play as your Mii with customizable items that affect your stats. It still doesn't seem to be an RPG mode. It's out on May 2.

Kirby Triple Deluxe will be out on May 2. They showed off a new transformation and Street Pass features that gives you special in-game keychains.

Yoshi's New Island has no time limits, so you can explore as you wish. The giant eggs act like its version of the giant mushroom from NSMB, destroying pipes and other parts of the level. There's a beginner-friendly powerup that lets new people fly through levels easily without worrying about platforming. It has all of the same collectibles as the original. It's out March 14.

eShop news:

Steeldiver: Sub Wars will be out after the Nintendo Direct is over, which is free-to-play with a bit of the single-player campaign and all of the MP.

Rusty Slugger's Sports Shack is a new baseball title that seems to offer a number of minigames. There are fielding, batting, batting cage, homerun derby, and umpire games. It's sort of a free-to-play game with a demo. Once you beat the demo, you can buy the rest of the games for $4.00 with ways to haggle to get them for cheaper. It's out in April.

Pokemon Battle Trozei is a dual-screen puzzle game where you play the puzzle game to fight against other Pokemon and capture them to use in future fights. It has a ton of Pokemon from past games. It's out on March 20.

Treehouse announcements:

Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy is out February 28. It has a StreetPass feature where you can leave items around the game world as a treasure hunt challenge for those you come across.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate is coming to 3DS in North America. It has online co-op. It's out early 2015.

Weapon Shop de Omasse is a new Level 5 Guild title. You are in charge of a weapon shop in an RPG as you make the weapons heroes purchase to take down the villain. It's out on February 20.

Inazuma Eleven is coming to North America. It's a soccer RPG from Level 5. It's out after the Nintendo Direct is over.

Indie Showcase:

Moon Chronicles

Shovel Knight

1001 Spikes

Retro City Rampage Deluxe

Last edited by a moderator:
ooo MH4 2015 and Inazuma Eleven.   I really don't get too many streetpass... (and I work in a building with a few thousand ppl) but I always love it when games have some streetpass feature.  It is preordered already so I am looking forward to it.

After playing the 3ds the ds lite feels so freaking puny. I've never felt that way when I went from psp to ds lite.

I'm really digging the new features like switching apps. :D very cool. And apparently i've been playing in 3D this whole time without realizing it (the lowest setting it can go before it clicks). No wonder it still looked 3d ish, I thought it was turned off. What a freaking noob. -_-

There is also 5 coins each for downloading Pokemon Bank and Pokemon Transporter, but you can't get into the software at all unless you have Pokemon X/Y so I am not sure if you can get the coins if you don't have Pokemon X/Y.

You can still get the 5 coins without X/Y, but you wouldn't be able to get the post-play survey.

You get the download coins for Pokebank. You won't get PokeTransfer at all without X/Y. You'll still theoretically get the post-play for Pokebank, though.

Plus, this works with family accounts with multiple 3DS units registered (One per account). Nice little boost toward Platinum for me. 

Anybody still use Nintendo Video? Decided to go there on a whim and they have a new source company called CartoonHangover. Rather like Bravest Warriors, which is like a sci-fi version of Adventure Time. Wild Cat Riukiu (ninja cats vs ninja dogs) is funny as well.

It's kind of useless when you only get one video at a time instead of building up a collection. I'd like to watch some of the series, but not being able to store episodes to binge watch or get the episodes I missed kills it for me.

I decided to do a HomePass cycle since I haven't bothered with it once I finished the last puzzle.

Someone actually sent a Swapnote through. The only reason I even caught it was I've been too lazy to delete it from everything. 

They drew a dick, from someone named Edward. 

I downloaded the youtube app. Can you not search for videos (using the search bar)? When I try it all I get is a greyed out screen

bumping this thread since people keep making new threads for questions about repairs or network IDs. it would be great if all of that could be kept in the main thread.

Some things I can see being their own thread since this one is usually dead until either a new special Mii or puzzle piece comes out. 

Faster replies and all.... I do think this thread needs more activity, though.

bumping this thread since people keep making new threads for questions about repairs or network IDs. it would be great if all of that could be kept in the main thread.
Why? Super threads are good for some things but can definitely limit useful conversation...which forums are all about in the first place.

Don't think there's a thread for Luigi's Mansion, so I figured I'd post this here. Has anyone else who's played it had a ridiculously hard time getting 3 star rating on D-1? I haven't had any substantial amount of trouble getting 3 stars on a stage til now. It's driving me absolutely batty. The only thing I can think of is that when I've finished with a lot of gold and all the goldies caught, I inevitably took some dmg from the stupid bats. If I finish with no health lost and don't get 3 stars, I will go insane.

Don't think there's a thread for Luigi's Mansion, so I figured I'd post this here. Has anyone else who's played it had a ridiculously hard time getting 3 star rating on D-1? I haven't had any substantial amount of trouble getting 3 stars on a stage til now. It's driving me absolutely batty. The only thing I can think of is that when I've finished with a lot of gold and all the goldies caught, I inevitably took some dmg from the stupid bats. If I finish with no health lost and don't get 3 stars, I will go insane.
It is time dependent - you need to get through the level as fast as possible. Only get obvious gold (don't go out of your way but do try and suck up multiple ghosts, etc) as money usually doesn't help me when I'm going for 3 stars. It's time and damage taken. So rush but don't get hit.

It is time dependent - you need to get through the level as fast as possible. Only get obvious gold (don't go out of your way but do try and suck up multiple ghosts, etc) as money usually doesn't help me when I'm going for 3 stars. It's time and damage taken. So rush but don't get hit.
When I do it in under 5 minutes taking 0 dmg, but with only ~25 gold, I get 1 star. If I take 10 minutes, get 1k+ gold, and take 10 dmg, I get 2 stars. Pretty sure money matters.

It definitely matters but I think it matters the least out of the three categories they are judging you on which is why you should collect as much money as you can but don't go out of your way to do it. 

There's a new Nintendo Video series starting this week called Slam City. It's a WWE show where a bunch of wrestlers are transported to a city called Slam City and they have to find real jobs. John Cena is an auto mechanic, Alberto Del Rio is a coffee house barista, Randy Orton is a zookeeper, and Sheamus is a theater usher as a few examples of who's in the show. 

Finished Luigi's Mansion. 50 hours of solid playing to get all gems, all boos, and 3 stars on every stage (including ghost hunting stages you unlock after clearing a mansion). Probably faster for less amateur players. :p

I ended up looking up where 7-8 gems were, and that did make it feel like less of an accomplishment, but I spent enough time looking for the ones I looked up that I can honestly say I would probably not have found them without doing it.

Ok, so I know the Wifi is shutting down on May 20th

I can't seem to dig up any information on wifi features for individual games so I thought I would ask here. I have the list of games below, I am only listing games with a wifi logo on the box. Not counting the pokemon games, I know about those. I am actually really stressed because I am afraid I am going to miss some content that will no longer be available after the wifi shuts down. On the other hand, I have a feeling quite a few of these games have "pointless" online features that I won't miss in the least.

I was just wondering if someone here could enlighten me to the wifi features of some of these games. I am mostly concerned with games that have downloadable content that could be missed after wifi shuts down.

For games that have wifi a lot of games only use it for things like leaderboards that won't matter. Obviously games like Mario Kart and Smash are still worth playing without online, as are many others.

DS

Rune Factory 3

Dragon Quest Monsters 2

Digimon World Dusk

Digimon World Dawn

Digimon World Championship

Wii

Bit Trip Complete

Shimano extreme fishing

Actually that is a pretty short list

I ended up buying that new Pokemon Battle: Trozei game.

It's your basic match 3 except you can move any piece onto any place on the board plus your not making one move then waiting. It's constant fast paced moving pieces. Plus once you match 3 or more, you have a timer basically and you keep matching pieces and creating large combos until you run out of pieces or you can't make matches fast enough for the timer. You fight pokemon which you collect if you beat. Game is split up into levels where you battle a certain amount of pokemon per level. Each level has hidden pokemon where you must complete secret objectives to unlock the chance to fight them.

For $8, I say it's defiantly worth it. There is a ton of pokemon to collect (every pokemon there is right now), and it's a great game for 20 minute short bursts. Also I would not recommend this game to kids. This game is actually quite challenging, and with all those secret pokemon, it requires a lot of fast paced reflexes so it might be too challenging for kids even though the game looks inviting.

Yea.. Pokemon has grown on me as my "little bits" game.  I play a level or two.  Close it.  The only thing that's annoying (and this comes from a guy moderately familiar with the oldest pokemon and the newest pokemon but none of the middle pokemon) is that they removed dual elements in favor of singles.  That's cool but it's really screwing with my combos.

But... that's just my opinion and I'm only on level 3-6... soooooo.... (I'm slow because I don't move on from a level until I'm A or S)

Wondering if anyone can help me out here... 

I'm selling my 3DS but realized I stupidly made a NNID account to get the free Zelda Four Swords game. I've got quite a few digital games on there that I planned on selling with the console, am I able to still sell them with the console or no? Does it link ALL digital games to the account or just the ones I downloaded after making the NNID account (because I only DL'd Four Swords and Of Myths and Monsters after making the account. Not a big deal if I lose those). Could I simply give him the password to the account? I don't have any CC info linked to it.  

Just trying to figure out what my options are here. 

What you mean "if I lose those"? All digital content is tied to the hardware. There have been cases where Nintendo has restored titles for people but by and large the NNID doesnt function like XBL, PSN, or Steam.

Wondering if anyone can help me out here...

I'm selling my 3DS but realized I stupidly made a NNID account to get the free Zelda Four Swords game. I've got quite a few digital games on there that I planned on selling with the console, am I able to still sell them with the console or no? Does it link ALL digital games to the account or just the ones I downloaded after making the NNID account (because I only DL'd Four Swords and Of Myths and Monsters after making the account. Not a big deal if I lose those). Could I simply give him the password to the account? I don't have any CC info linked to it.

Just trying to figure out what my options are here.
The NNID is supposed to be the first step for a unified account. If you don't care about it, then by all means give the buyer the info. However, should you wish to purchase another 3DS in the future, you could contact Nintendo and wipe the system.

I have seen reports that this allows you to download the games on another system later on. I cannot say if it will work, just that posts on other forums suggest it.

As for what games are tied to the account, once you created the NNID, all games on that system are tied to both the console AND the NNID. It's a bit stupid, because Nintendo doesn't think anyone will own more than one 3DS or Wii U.

What you mean "if I lose those"? All digital content is tied to the hardware. There have been cases where Nintendo has restored titles for people but by and large the NNID doesnt function like XBL, PSN, or Steam.
If I were to delete my NNID would I lose all digital games on the system?

Wait, that seems ridiculous -or- I'm not following something.

A NNID (as well as Club Nintendo account) can only be linked on 1 Wii U and 1 3DS. If I were to get a new 3DS for whatever reason, I would be able to use the transfer tool to send everything over to the new 3DS..right?

But in the case of a system getting stolen or damaged, they can't unlink your account on that system, allow you to put your NNID on the new system..and just.. re-download everything?

Hmmph.  :whistle2:k

The NNID is supposed to be the first step for a unified account. If you don't care about it, then by all means give the buyer the info. However, should you wish to purchase another 3DS in the future, you could contact Nintendo and wipe the system.

I have seen reports that this allows you to download the games on another system later on. I cannot say if it will work, just that posts on other forums suggest it.

As for what games are tied to the account, once you created the NNID, all games on that system are tied to both the console AND the NNID. It's a bit stupid, because Nintendo doesn't think anyone will own more than one 3DS or Wii U.
So if I wanted to sell my Ambassador XL, the games would be fine because I've never put a NNID on it, correct?

Speaking of which, I can't believe how much people are still paying for Ambassador systems.

If I were to delete my NNID would I lose all digital games on the system?
Yes.

So if I wanted to sell my Ambassador XL, the games would be fine because I've never put a NNID on it, correct?

Speaking of which, I can't believe how much people are still paying for Ambassador systems.
In that case, the games are only tied to the system. So yes, you can sell it if you don't care about the games. If it had an NNID, you could still sell it, but you'd be selling the NNID as well.

Wait, that seems ridiculous -or- I'm not following something.

A NNID (as well as Club Nintendo account) can only be linked on 1 Wii U and 1 3DS. If I were to get a new 3DS for whatever reason, I would be able to use the transfer tool to send everything over to the new 3DS..right?

But in the case of a system getting stolen or damaged, they can't unlink your account on that system, allow you to put your NNID on the new system..and just.. re-download everything?

Hmmph. :whistle2:k
For the transfers, as long as the new system does not have an NNID on it already, you can system transfer to it. If it already has an NNID, the system being moved would overwrite, and you'd lose whatever was tied to the system being transferred to. Sadly, I'd say call Nintendo here because they might be able to merge systems. I have not tried this myself with my mutliple systems so I can't verify.

If stolen, Nintendo has in the past shown the ability to give you your digital purchases (or if unavailable, equivalent eShop credit), but generally speaking they want to see evidence like a police report. I've heard stories that it worked, and others that it didn't....so keep trying. Might depend on who you get when you call.

Damaged systems should be sent to Nintendo and they'll decide. I don't know for sure, but what I've seen suggests they'll just send back a refurb/new system with your digital games on it. However, it may depend on the damage, since I've seen quite a few bricked systems get a "LOLNO, fuckoff pirate" reply lately.

In order to do an Ambassador change, you have to have BOTH 3DS' together and do a system transfer that way.  Those don't have anything to do with NNID AFAIK.

There's a new Puzzle for Puzzle Swap available via Spotpass: Rusty's Real Deal Baseball.

It's a smaller puzzle, thankfully. I actually got a pink piece in one of my machines. First time ever.

Update:  Spent the day playing Magical World.  Used the AR cards to get the Japanese items.  I'm stamp level 27-28, the 4 worlds unlocked 
Apparently there's a 5th Pirates of the Carribean themed world/dungeon

The first 16 stickers are kinda boring/slow.  They're an intro to the different things in the game.  If you've played a Rune Factory/Harvest Moon you'll be familiar with the setup.  Talk to people daily.  Cards from the main characters twice daily.  Gather everything.  Make even more.  Quests in each of the worlds unlock with stamp levels.  Replay worlds for more objects (and rarer drops).

It's ok.  I've been playing CONSTANTLY since noon (it's 12am now, I'm looking something up before I go to bed).  I don't know how long this'll keep my attention though.  They've already got 2 purchasable DLCs.  One is Aurora/Prince with a bunch of new crafts (2 bucks) and one is an Easter Themed pack (1 buck).  Not sure what I got with each but the world is full of Easter eggs, there's a fun little "easter egg hunt" quest where I literally got beat down (it was sad really), and a bunch of craftables.

It'll be fun for completionists.  I'm not sure when my patience for it will run out.  I find the voice overs that are included very sporadic.  And my character runs funny.  I don't know why but it bugs me when I run from right to left (only time I notice it).

You CAN use your Mii but that disables some hats from working so I just didn't do it at all.  Far easier to create your own.  Couple of face options, couple of hair options (9ish for each I believe).

This is HEAVY reading.  My 7 y/o is missing some words because they put some fairly big words into a kids game.  I'm unsure why.  I'd have thought they'd have voiced more over for the younger kids but I was apparently mistaken.

Trying not to spoil in case some people are thinking about getting but it's not bad.  Right now I'd get it on a sale (I used GCU + 20 cert to basically get my second copy free).  22 bucks for 12 hrs of gaming is pretty decent and I'm only 1/3 of the way there (I believe).

I also played Magical World a LOT yesterday. I've got just under 20 stickers.

As for the DLC, the Easter content is available free. It includes

(all this is quoted from the Notification that popped up on my 3DS today)

Monthly T-shirt for April (free), (which seems to be called) Casual Easter T-Shirt

Mickey Egg & Minnie Egg (Free)

Shiny Micky Headband (Free)

My world also has eggs everywhere. This morning when I started the game, I saw there was DLC available, which I assumed was an update. It may have switched to eggs/Easter after all the prologue stuff was finished.

I hit 48 Stickers today (still going).  I like it.  I have Stitch and Luau Mickey/Minnie so far in my Cafe.  I'm building more sets and working on farming all my recipes before I go headlong into Card/Visit collection.

The Easter celebration continues until June I believe.

bread's done
Back