Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

There's a patch for the Smash Bros game which is avail now. Probably good to grab it before tons of people are trying to download the full game.

Yup had to buy a copy today at best buy. Thank you GCU. Buying day 1 games are never a burden now with day 1 discount. Hehe!

got my copy of the game and I'm enjoying it. I'm playing on a regular flame 3ds with the nyko power pak so it feels comfy to play on a plain 3ds with the added bulk lower grip of the power pak.

New System Update - Themes!

Main changes for version 9.0.0-20X:

Update released: October 6th, 2014

• Users can now use themes to customize the design and sounds of the HOME Menu
  • Five themes are pre-installed and additional themes can be purchased from the Theme Shop
  • Themes can be changed by using settings located within the HOME Menu settings
  • A feature has been added that allows users to capture screenshots of their HOME Menu
  • The Nintendo eShop Title Information page has been updated to provide easier access to any available videos, demos, user reviews, and other information
  • Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience
Source:
http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/231/~/system-menu-update-history

Kinda BS that the basic Mario themes weren't free. Only bought the 8-bit theme. As I figured, the anime themes are no shows, though maybe they will come later.

Themes don't add anything to the games for me so I will not be buying any. Waste of money. Unless I get them for free somehow or with purchase of certain games.

Same here.  For me, it's along the same lines as clothing/props for avatar.  It's cool to get them for free, but I could never justify paying money for them.

I don't understand the point of the screenshot feature if it's only for the home screen. What is there to show off on the home screen? Themes? Is that how they plan to advertise them?

I'm just bummed that they show Bowser on the character screen and don't have a Bowser theme yet. Unless they do now. I haven't checked since they first showed up.

I had almost $33 in my Nintendo wallet so I said F it and bough the Link Between Worlds theme.....and it's pretty cool actually. Having the menu music from the game be the theme that plays when I'm on my 3DS main menu is pretty awesome. I also enjoy the folders now being treasure chests, the only thing that sucks is no Zelda treasure chest opening noise :(

Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience.

in other words they didnt improve online network coding

I like the blue theme. Very easy on the eyes.

Got a ? for those of you who play the 3DS a lot and have had the launch systems and the XL. Is it worth it to upgrade to the XL? Does it fit in your pocket? Is it easy to transfer downloaded games? Do you have to hook it up to your computer or anything because I don't have a card reader.

Got a ? for those of you who play the 3DS a lot and have had the launch systems and the XL. Is it worth it to upgrade to the XL? Does it fit in your pocket? Is it easy to transfer downloaded games? Do you have to hook it up to your computer or anything because I don't have a card reader.
System transfer is pretty easy.

I have two XLs, one with a Nerf armor and one I keep wrapped in a cleaning cloth. I suppose it would fit in my pocket, but it would be awkward in most of what I wear.

If you had asked this a year ago, I'd say yes, definitely upgrade. At this point however, I would suggest you want for the New 3DS XL which will probably be released sometime in 2015 I think. I dunno if it'd easily fit in your pocket, it kind of depends on what your pockets are like. My friend mostly wears slacks and he easily pockets his current model XL, and the new one is not much bigger. I doubt the jeans I used to wear in HS would fit one. To transfer to a current model XL you'd just link the 2 systems via local wifi (so you need both of them at the same time) which transfers the licenses or whatever, and then you'd move the SD card over. With the New 3DS XL, if you're using an SD card atm and not a MicroSD card in an SD converter, you'd need to use a computer to transfer to a MicroSD card, since the New 3DS XL uses MicroSD cards.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no issues with my XL.  I was an ambassador user who upgraded because the screens seem so small.  I can't go back.  But since we're here and you don't have one... the new XL's are due out either by Christmas or Q1.  Reviews of them so far show noticible improvements.

That being said, I carry my XL in most everything I wear.  Only thing I have issues carrying it, is I tend to store it in my left back pocket or my cargo pockets.  In the left back pocket, in my golf shorts, it can get a bit tight.  But otherwise, no issues.

Yes, but only a few games actually take advantage of it since most people don't do 3D.

In the beginning of the 3DS, there were a lot of games that really tried to have a 3D feel to them. Now Nintendo's biggest titles, Smash Bros and Pokémon X/Y, have the 3D tacked on at best and it has not been a selling point at all in the last few years. There is also a reason why many people are buying the 2DS.

In the beginning of the 3DS, there were a lot of games that really tried to have a 3D feel to them. Now Nintendo's biggest titles, Smash Bros and Pokémon X/Y, have the 3D tacked on at best and it has not been a selling point at all in the last few years. There is also a reason why many people are buying the 2DS.
That logic doesn't make any sense though. If Nintendo was trying to shy away from 3D, why are their "New" models coming out next year doubling down on the 3D tech by including face tracking?

That logic doesn't make any sense though. If Nintendo was trying to shy away from 3D, why are their "New" models coming out next year doubling down on the 3D tech by including face tracking?
Maybe because they realized that the old 3D effect sucked? The "sweet spot" for 3D on the old systems is very narrow; slight movements of the handheld screw it up. I tried it many times and realized that it wasn't good, shame too because they built the whole system around it.

Multiple new puzzles in Puzzle Swap are available. At least 3, based on the Pikmin shorts. None need any pink pieces (at least out of the 3 I know about).

Is the Sonic one also available now? I finished every puzzle this past weekend. Got one of the new pikmin puzzles and used coins to get all but two of that.

Sonic Boom streetpass puzzle is now out. Good thing I got pieces of the other two Pikmin puzzles yesterday or I could have got one of them instead.

Sonic Boom streetpass puzzle is now out. Good thing I got pieces of the other two Pikmin puzzles yesterday or I could have got one of them instead.
I like that they keep putting out new puzzles but that's the 5th new puzzle in about 2 weeks. I was down to less than 40 total pieces needed across 4 puzzles but now I'm way behind again...

bread's done
Back