Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='J7.']Maybe, but what if you don't want the update? Like if they took away a feature like Sony did to stop piracy.[/QUOTE]

Aaaaand, that would be the point.

[quote name='Cao Cao']http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/100929qa/index.html
A few days ago, Nintendo posted the English version of Iwata's Investor Q&A that was done after the 9/29 event.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that.

Some interesting bits:

"As it is desirable to prepare a sufficient amount for a sound launch and, at the same time, as we will also be able to further raise the product’s completion level, we have come to the launch date that we just announced."

This. If they launch the thing too early, there may not be enough first and third party support. Although the console is ready, who ever said the games were ready? I don't mind the delay if that means better product, and more of it.

"For your information, Nintendo 3DS will also have a function so that, when a consumer purchases new (packaged) software, that software ROM card will be able to initiate the device's system update."

Ah, kind of like how some Wii discs require the console to be updated or reach a minimum firmware requirement. Smart move.

"As the dynamic range (of the development costs) expands, so will software retail prices to some extent. Having said that, however, we do not believe that today's market can accept a large number of expensive software titles. Accordingly, I do not have the perception that Nintendo 3DS software shall be retailed at very different price points with that of Nintendo DS."

Hopefully this means we won't see too significant a price increase in 3DS games. I'm hoping a cap of $39.99.

"As for the battery, it is inevitable that Nintendo 3DS will be a device which requires more frequent recharging than Nintendo DS. This is why we are going to include the cradle, which is a dedicated battery charger. Perhaps we may need to dispatch to our consumers a message, something like, "Please place your Nintendo 3DS on the cradle as soon as you return home with it." "

Better scurry home and charge that sucka!

" If they download many titles, the SD memory card that we will include shall not be big enough. We wanted to make the system, so that, when Nintendo 3DS owners require additional memory, they could do so simply by inserting a new bigger-sized SD memory card. We have designed the system as if the hardware's internal memory can be expanded simply by adding a new SD memory card. The owners can save the software on the new SD memory card and activate the software from the SD memory card. The ability to be able to do so can sometimes contradict with the maintenance of tight security. We would like to brush up on that aspect before the launch."

YES!! YES!! YES!! SD card launching!!

I am still boggled at the around 300 dollar price range idea. That is PS3 territory. I know the PS3 is not portable, but still. I need to try one myself to justify a high price.

It SHOULDN'T be a big deal. I mean IMO last gen portables by right should be able to cost as much as current gen hardware. The PSP actually WAS current gen when it launched for $250 (which is why a lot of people thought it would be $400-500 at launch, a lot of us were thrilled when it was only $250).

But in the U.S. there's this weird thing were lots of people think it's supposed to cost less for some reason. Of course I don't mind in that it means the games cost less than in Japan!

As I've said already, if you follow gaming trends, MSRP is different in any country.

A console that launches at 250USD will launch for 250 Euros in Europe and 25000 Yen in Japan.

It's for an easy conversion. It basically amounts to the US getting cheaper stuff than Europe or Japan, who gets screwed.

Following that, the 3DS will release in March for $250 USD.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Aaaaand, that would be the point.[/QUOTE]

But Sony told you beforehand, they didn't do it in secret.

Sony didn't think the other OS install would lead to piracy. It did, and they patched it to stop it.

Nintendo isn't announcing "hey guys here's a security hole for you to exploit for piracy purposes" and removing it. They are patching stuff like Microsoft does when Internet Explorer runs the risk of ruining your shit.

Either way, I'm all for companies closing up shop on the matter.

[quote name='Strell']Sony didn't think the other OS install would lead to piracy. It did, and they patched it to stop it.

Nintendo isn't announcing "hey guys here's a security hole for you to exploit for piracy purposes" and removing it. They are patching stuff like Microsoft does when Internet Explorer runs the risk of ruining your shit.

Either way, I'm all for companies closing up shop on the matter.[/QUOTE]

All I was saying was that automatic updates may not be the best thing because maybe you don't want an update if it makes changes you don't want. I'd rather have the choice to install an update than have it forced, or at least be told what the update is before I go ahead and install it. Last time I checked Windows Update informs you about what the update is and gives you the option of installing or not. Maybe the Sony example isn't the best illustration but it's the most known one.

OtherOS didn't lead to piracy anyway. Whatever exploit for it that was claimed to be was fake.

Piracy on PS3 is the result of a piece of Sony's high level repair kit from a factory being stolen and cloned.

J7: Fair enough. At this point, though, piracy has become an issue for the industry. Now, Iwata did come out recently and say "it's not the reason for a decline," which .... ok, if he's saying that, he's got no reason to fluff it up. But third parties are shying away from the DS and blaming piracy, and while I understand the idea that piracy != lost sales directly, it's still an issue. And since pirates pretty much set this whole discussion up in an adversarial way ("I want they game and they make the prices too high so screw their capitalism I'mma goin home and downloading the game myself"), I don't really care if Nintendo - or any other developer/publisher/company - decides to engage in guerilla tactics of their own. They've got the right to safeguard their stuff, and let's face it - hackers will probably hack through it in a week anyway.

Dallow: Ok, if that's the deal, what was the reasoning for removing that option? Or was it just a convenient excuse for Sony? Either way I don't really care - just curious.

Actually, I was confusing my stories.

There was indeed a hack for PS3 that involved OtherOS, it just didn't go anywhere.
Sony took the initiative and patched OtherOS out, but even then, nothing came of the hack.

This new "true" hack involves a piece of Sony hardware that was cloned and can basically boot a PS3 no matter what, like a failsafe.

Sucks OtherOS was lost for the few that actually used it, and for nothing really in the end. It was an interesting oddity.

I thought there were piracy related issues behind the Other OS removal as well. If not, my best guess is that they just didn't want to support the feature across two different builds. The PS3 slim had already removed the feature. Removing it for older PS3 models means both models would run unified firmware. Easier to fix, easier to debug, easier on the developers in general.

Piracy itself is not something Nintendo or anyone will be able to stop by trying to prevent piracy. There will always be a way around whatever safeguards they put up. Rather, the best way to kill piracy is to promote legitimate game playing. Put features in the game/system that pirates simply use...usually something involving networking. That seems to be the route Nintendo is taking, what with the always online downloading stuff...the tagging of other people in standby mode...and so on.

As far as the price is concerned, I have little faith in using past console prices' precedents to determine a launch price of $250. The world economy (and the USA's in particular) has changed a lot since the last major round of console releases. They'll charge whatever they feel like they can get away with charging. All I would say is that I'm 80% sure it'll launch in the $250-$300 range...which even at $250, that'll still require a hell of a lineup before I get on board.

If the hack didn't go anywhere it could just be because they quit developing it since it would no longer work on newer systems.

I never actually USED Linux on it, and don't know that it's super useful, given you can get better PC hardware for that for the same money, yet...I don't know, I still liked having the option there :lol:

Felt a little like the 80's where the game consoles were actually computers. There's something really cool about that-get the games, but also have a full blown computer you can mess around with and learn on. Of course Windows PCs basically fill that void fine today, but still.

They wouldn't care if it worked on new systems or not, the hack was developed way after the Slim was released anyway. Or just look at Xbox (and i mean pre-S model).
Anyway, hack talk is dumb.

Didn't the slim support installing Linux? Huh, guess not.

Well, still, that would kill the potential 'market' even more. I just liked that the Playstation 3 was the closest we've come to a console being a real computer since the Commodore type days.

[quote name='Strell']J7: Fair enough. At this point, though, piracy has become an issue for the industry. Now, Iwata did come out recently and say "it's not the reason for a decline," which .... ok, if he's saying that, he's got no reason to fluff it up. But third parties are shying away from the DS and blaming piracy, and while I understand the idea that piracy != lost sales directly, it's still an issue. And since pirates pretty much set this whole discussion up in an adversarial way ("I want they game and they make the prices too high so screw their capitalism I'mma goin home and downloading the game myself"), I don't really care if Nintendo - or any other developer/publisher/company - decides to engage in guerilla tactics of their own. They've got the right to safeguard their stuff, and let's face it - hackers will probably hack through it in a week anyway.

Dallow: Ok, if that's the deal, what was the reasoning for removing that option? Or was it just a convenient excuse for Sony? Either way I don't really care - just curious.[/QUOTE]

If automatic updates prevent piracy then so be it, but I'd prefer if they could find some other solution. I don't know what other solution could work I haven't really thought about it, maybe something like ban any 3DS that has been found to be modified or running pirated software in conjunction with requiring firmware updates, but allow the consumer to decide whether they want to install the update.

Maybe with SD card launching the automatic updates are required to prevent piracy via that means. I guess I will focus on the fact that there could be worse ways to prevent piracy such as selling unfinished games. Regardless of what they do I see it backfiring and hackers using the automatic updates together with SD card support to pirate. In that respect, it feels like it could be PSP all over again.

[quote name='Wolfpup']If the hack didn't go anywhere it could just be because they quit developing it since it would no longer work on newer systems.

I never actually USED Linux on it, and don't know that it's super useful, given you can get better PC hardware for that for the same money, yet...I don't know, I still liked having the option there :lol:

Felt a little like the 80's where the game consoles were actually computers. There's something really cool about that-get the games, but also have a full blown computer you can mess around with and learn on. Of course Windows PCs basically fill that void fine today, but still.[/QUOTE]

What I really wanted to use Other OS for was to emulate older consoles and play them on my tv with my dualshock 3 instead of putting wear and tear on my PC, exposing it to questionable files, and running wires across the room. But then I wouldn't be buying as many PS3 games...

During an investors' meeting today, Iwata gave some info, along with a short video, on the 3DS shop:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/101029/07.html
Exactly a month ago, we announced the Japanese launch date and the price of Nintendo 3DS at Nintendo Conference 2010. As the final topic for my presentation today, I’d like to supplement that announcement with some more information.

At Nintendo Conference 2010, I said that we were preparing the digital content download sales for Nintendo 3DS, we had integrated promotional and sales functions and that switching from one screen to another had become much quicker, so you would notice the quick response. It is as if we are now combining the functions of Wii Shop Channel and that of Nintendo Channels. With more swift and efficient responses, we want our consumers to feel like just enjoying a sort of window shopping even when they do not have any particular product in mind. We are preparing such a structure for Nintendo 3DS because we want to nurture a healthy download business in parallel with the packaged software sales. Due to the time restriction at Nintendo Conference 2010, I was not able to show this video to you then. Please take a look at this video which will hopefully tell you what kind of feeling you can get when you enjoy these download sales on Nintendo 3DS.

When we activate the shop for Nintendo 3DS, you will see the arrays of shelves by the themes. How to shift from one icon to another has become smoother, as you can see.
There are multiple software titles on the shelves sorted by their themes.
When you identify a software title, you will see such options as checking the software details, watching a trailer, and downloading and reading the users’ comments.
When you select the game’s details, just like you do with Nintendo Channels on Wii, you will see an explanation of the game and how long the existing players have been playing with the software and with what frequency. Directly from here, you can also visit the official website for that software.
When you select the movie option, you will see introductions of the content, such as trailers, before purchasing the software.
Other than the shelves for the software, there are places where you can see a list of the latest software or a list of the best-selling titles. You can search for your preferred software, and you can express your support for some software if you’d like to recommend it to other people.

With Nintendo 3DS, in addition to expanding the packaged software sales, we are aiming to pursue the new possibilities of digital content download sales.

EDIT: According to AndriaSang, the direct translation of a certain sentence from the Japanese page mentioned demos:
When you identify a software title, you will see such options as checking the software details, watching a trailer, downloading a demo, and reading the users’ comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is funny how Nintendo is talking about pushing digital distribution on the 3DS when they are doing such a poor job of that on the Wii.

so when are we going to get some more info on this thing? for a console that is supposed to release in just over 3 months in japan, information has been non-existent on it. i expect a delay to be announced.....

What kind of info? They've told us as much as they usually do, and I wouldn't expect them to announce things like a launch lineup (which they probably don't exactly know anyway) when they're trying to get DS/Wii sales right now.

Dang, this is terrible-I HATE "3D", yet I still kind of want one, because...Paper Mario :whistle2:/

[quote name='Wolfpup']What kind of info? They've told us as much as they usually do, and I wouldn't expect them to announce things like a launch lineup (which they probably don't exactly know anyway) when they're trying to get DS/Wii sales right now.

Dang, this is terrible-I HATE "3D", yet I still kind of want one, because...Paper Mario :whistle2:/[/QUOTE]

well a release date, or some gamplay footage would be nice:lol:

[quote name='wwe101']so when are we going to get some more info on this thing? for a console that is supposed to release in just over 3 months in japan, information has been non-existent on it. i expect a delay to be announced.....[/QUOTE]

We *might* hear more about it at around the time of CES 2011 (January 6th to 9th), since Nintendo is supposed to have an exhibit there, presumably to give western journalists more time with the 3DS.

I'm not expecting anything till at least January. Anything before that will kill DS sales for the holiday season. There's enough people that don't yet know how close the DS is to being obsolete to sell another couple million units.

As for CES, not expecting much their either. The rumors of them having a booth for public display turned out to just be an error. They will be reserving meeting room space at CES, but they won't be making any announcements about current or upcoming products. Why attend when you're not doing much of anything, I have no idea. Source - Link

I don't know if this has been changed recently, but, aren't we supposed to be seeing public demos of the 3DS at retail stores in January or something like that? Again, I'm not sure if this has been changed or I misheard something, but I thought I heard that at some point.

Taiwanese ROM manufacturer Macronix released an image of the Nintendo 3DS game cartridge, which will have a maximum capacity of 8GB.
3dscart.jpg

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Gamestop just started doing 3DS preorders today. I would call to confirm before going but I just preordered mine :D.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I'd rather order from Amazon for the free sales tax, but if I order from GameStop, I can get it day 1... :whistle2:k

[quote name='utopianmachine']Interesting. I'd rather order from Amazon for the free sales tax, but if I order from GameStop, I can get it day 1... :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

This. I'd like it day 1, but free sales tax is making me wait for Amazon.

question with gamestop preorder, can I back out at any time? Like say i preorder tomorrow and amazon comes up next week and I can get one there can i simply pull out of gamestop, and get all my $ back?

[quote name='utopianmachine']Interesting. I'd rather order from Amazon for the free sales tax, but if I order from GameStop, I can get it day 1... :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

The reason I ordered from gamestop is I did not know how many amazon would be getting and when. I don't want to find out oh we are selling the day I am at work and then selling out in 10 minutes of stock. Plus I don't want to have to go to 8,000 stores looking for one in case this turns out to be like the Wii at launch.

Also if you do go, you can't choose your color. I don't know if they will have the option later, but right now all you can do is put money on a preorder. So if you want a certain color you might consider waiting for amazon.

[quote name='Xfactor19990']question with gamestop preorder, can I back out at any time? Like say i preorder tomorrow and amazon comes up next week and I can get one there can i simply pull out of gamestop, and get all my $ back?[/QUOTE]

Yes, you can. But Amazon WILL have preorders available. The question is whether you must have it day 1 or if you can wait a few extra days. Of course, it's possible, Amazon will have release day delivery. Time will tell.

[quote name='Altanis']Unless it releases on a Sunday, I'd be willing to bet that Amazon will offer Release Day Delivery on the 3DS.[/QUOTE] I would almost bet money it's going to be on a sunday because every hardware release since the gamecube has been on a sunday (no clue on the 64 or earlier).

I'm going to guess Nintendo will try their best to overestimate how many people are interested in the 3DS and make tons of them. After all, they do have an amazing line-up and awesome hardware! Let's just hope the price they give us will be very reasonable, I mean for this technology I can understand a higher than usual price point, but let's hope it doesn't go too high.

Still can't get over how much support the 3DS has. Especially Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid coming over, can that kind of prove that Sony's PSP2 won't be out soon?

[quote name='Droenixjpn']

Still can't get over how much support the 3DS has. Especially Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid coming over, can that kind of prove that Sony's PSP2 won't be out soon?[/QUOTE]

The only thing it proves is that Capcom and Konami want a slice of that beastly DS market.

[quote name='Droenixjpn']I'm going to guess Nintendo will try their best to overestimate how many people are interested in the 3DS and make tons of them. After all, they do have an amazing line-up and awesome hardware! Let's just hope the price they give us will be very reasonable, I mean for this technology I can understand a higher than usual price point, but let's hope it doesn't go too high.[/QUOTE]
It's really hard to make tons of new hardware.

According to gbatemp.net, Nintendo will be having pressers in both the US and Europe on Jan. 19th and will likely have the release date and pricing by then, in not earlier at CES like others mentioned.

Just saw the Japanese launch lineup on Joystiq... sigh

* Winning Eleven 3DSoccer (5,800 yen/$70)
* Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition (4,800 yen/$58)
* Samurai Warriors Chronicle (6,090 yen/$73)
* Tobidasu! Puzzle Bobble 3D (4,980 yen/$60)
* Nintendogs + Cats (Toy Poodle & New Friends, French Bulldog & New Friends, Shiba & New Friends, 4,800 yen each)
* Ridge Racer 3D (6,090 yen/$73)
* Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D (5,040 yen/$61)
* Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle (5,980 yen/$72)

Crap IMHO. I'll take Prof. Layton and possibly SSFIV (depending on how functional the system's dpad is with fighters) but where's the big Nintendo releases? I totally thought Star Fox and Zelda 3DS would be launch titles. If they're not in the US, I'll pass at launch.

bread's done
Back