Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

The IGN review for Battle of the Giants: Dinosaurs seems like a joke.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/939/939760p1.html

"The game just gets repetitive after about 15 minutes. But during those 15 minutes it's kind of awesome."

"Look, if for some reason you're one of those freak families with sextuplet boys and you only have money to buy a single DS game to keep them entertained for a half an hour, this game is perfect."

And they still gave it a 6.7.

Anyone heard anything about shortages? All I've heard is that Gamestop is having trouble meeting the preorder demands at certain stores.

I'm wondering if I should try to get 2 handhelds, if it's even possible with only 1 preorder, etc.

Of course there will be shortages.

That's how modern tech companies generate demand for their products.

If the launch for the 3DS is anything like the DS Lite and the Wii, then these should be very hard to come by for the first 12-18 months.

Amazon still taking orders though is strange though.

Speaking of which, they shipped my 3DS early.
Looks like it'll be here Monday.

:)

[quote name='dallow']Amazon still taking orders though is strange though.

Speaking of which, they shipped my 3DS early.
Looks like it'll be here Monday.

:)[/QUOTE]

Hmm... I've been waffling over whether I really need to keep mine at overnight shipping (only $10) because I don't have a game pre-ordered (waiting for the credit) but I want to make sure mine is one of the first sent out and it looks like it is "shipping soon" but still March 29th delivery estimate.

[quote name='QiG']Hmm... I've been waffling over whether I really need to keep mine at overnight shipping (only $10) because I don't have a game pre-ordered (waiting for the credit) but I want to make sure mine is one of the first sent out and it looks like it is "shipping soon" but still March 29th delivery estimate.[/QUOTE]

I have one day shipping and my delivery date is also set for March 29. The order page is telling me that my purchase is being readied for shipment--here's hoping that it gets here on Monday.

189953_10150133630519560_503564559_6438658_7810994_n.jpg

Waiting patiently for their friend...

Whoops... Forgot a few things...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='UncleBob']
189953_10150133630519560_503564559_6438658_7810994_n.jpg

Waiting patiently for their friend...

Whoops... Forgot a few things...[/QUOTE]

Yowsa, including the Panasonic Q Gameboy Player. That, sir, is dedication.

I still miss my Panasonic Q, but the prices grew to the point where I sold it for a profit after playing it for years.

Dear Nintendo, that was the most attractive system I've ever seen, even though I readily concede the Wii a nice Apple-ish simplicity.

Ah, the original DS was so very unattractive. But I certainly didn't think so when I bought one. Makes me wonder what they're going to do to eventually makes this 3DS look like an ugly brick.

Tonight around midnight I think I'm going to drive around and see if any lines are forming just for fun. My 3DS is preordered and paid for so I'm just going to simply walk in and pick it up tomorrow morning.

Still debating on getting one because I got a huge tax refund. I might get Pilotwings at launch, but that is the only game for the 3ds at the moment that I am REMOTELY interested in. I'm just not sure if I want to get one now or mid may when I don't any more school to worry about for a while.

Obviously I could be wrong but there just doesn't seem to be the sell out possibility on the 3DS. If you don't care about the launch week deals from amazon or kmart, you should be able to pick one up no problem in the next few months.

[quote name='confoosious']How come nobody's talking Madden 3DS? Just the wrong crowd or what?[/QUOTE]

No franchise, no multiplayer, no stats no sale!

[quote name='jza1218']No franchise, no multiplayer, no stats no sale![/QUOTE]

no multiplayer is very weak.

But I never really gave a shit about franchise mode.

I cancelled my preorder and decided to wait. I tried it out at Best Buy and was able to find the "sweet Spot" right away. Pilot wings was OK and none of the release games are to die for in my opinion. I'm going to do the responsible thing and wait until the library is a little better. No need to buy a system that will collect dust.

I don't think there will be a sell out on these.

[quote name='confoosious']no multiplayer is very weak.

But I never really gave a shit about franchise mode.[/QUOTE]

See I'm the opposite. Could care less about multiplayer but no franchise kills any replay factor. I'll wait til it's less than $20.

No lines here at any of the stores, yet at least, I am not going out again today but its like 25 degrees here with a low of 10-15 tonight so I don't expect much camping to occur(if anyone camps in this weather they are nuts).

That's quite the collection there, the super gameboy 2 is particularly impressive.

[quote name='Rocko']Damn, my delivery estimate is still the 30th. :[

Worth it for all of the promos, though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, seems random who gets their's shipped early and who doesn't. Mine says shipping soon, but my pokemon B&W orders said the same thing for the entire weekend and didn't ship out until tuesday afternoon. It shipped from a warehouse less than 90 minutes away and got here wednesday. I'll be kind of pissed if they do that again with my 3DS order.

after talking to the guy at best buy yesterday, it sounds like a zelda bundle is highly sought after. He said that the nintendo rep said that a zelda bundle is the number 1 question he's received from stores/employees.

so he things that's going to be the first bundle available for the 3ds.

That sounds nice and all, but I know that the 3ds zelda will be nothing but a different shell with the same hardware, so I'm not going to wait for something that hasn't been confirmed yet. I can live with the black version.

I'm going to try to pick one up from kmart in the morning, if not I still have my gamestop preorder.

[quote name='doodofdoods']The Zelda DS Lite was pretty badass, if I knew that a Zelda bundle was imminent I'd probably wait for that.[/QUOTE]
Same here. I think I'm going to gamble and wait, since there's nothing that interests me too terribly for the launch titles.

[quote name='GizmoGC']I ordered the 3DS minutes after Amazon added them.

Still not shipped.[/QUOTE]

Received my notice today, delivery scheduled for Monday. I have Prime and live near a distribution center.

Unfortunately I neglected to cancel one of the units so I have two... To flip or to return...

Went to redeem some Gamestop Powerup points for a $5 certificate and it actually says coupons redeemed in March can't be used on a 3DS or games. Lame, especially because when I printed out a $10 one two weeks ago it didn't say anything about it.

Mine just shipped, but according to the shipping email it stated,

"Congratulations. Your purchase has qualified you for a $10 promotional credit toward the purchase of a qualifying 3DS game shipped and sold by Amazon.com. The credit will be applied directly to your Amazon.com account within two days after your product ships once processing is complete."

Isn't supposed to be a $25 promotional credit?

Ordered mine Feb 23 and changed shipping from super saver to overnight on Thursday.. it's shipped and scheduled for Mon delivery

About to take my trip to gamestop in around 10 minutes since it will take half an hour to get there. For everyone who is going for one at midnight good luck everyone. Hope gamestop has enough for everyone and happy 3DS gaming everyone :D.

[quote name='foltzie']Received my notice today, delivery scheduled for Monday. I have Prime and live near a distribution center.

Unfortunately I neglected to cancel one of the units so I have two... To flip or to return...[/QUOTE]

Keep them both in case you lose one.

On another topic, I got an email today from Sony telling me the NGP is coming.

I pre-ordered mine at a local game store called G2K Games, when I talked to them earlier this week they said they had enough to fulfill their pre-orders so I'll just walk in tomorrow when they open at 12 and pick it up. I'm glad I'm not dealing with the lottery system of Amazon and GameStop.

As for shortages, I would be really shocked if there weren't any. I'm sure after a day or two, they won't be anywhere to be found.

[quote name='confoosious']How come nobody's talking Madden 3DS? Just the wrong crowd or what?[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure most folks that play it wanna play it on the big screen to see all the pretty little details.

[quote name='Rocko']Damn, my delivery estimate is still the 30th. :[

Worth it for all of the promos, though.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you. It's killing me a little to not have it tomorrow, but the Amazon deals are just so sweet.

Mine shipped from Amazon...it's saying Wed as the day...can't wait! I got a chance to play the system (non-tethered) thanks to a friend so I'm excited for it's arrival!

Here is a summary of 3DS games post-launch to look forward to...(Release Date subject to change)

03/27/11
Asphalt 3D $39.99
Bust-A-Move Universe $29.99
Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D $39.99
LEGO Star Wars III: Clone Wars $39.99
Madden Football 3DS $39.99
Nintendogs + Cats (3 versions) $39.99
PES Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D $39.99
Pilotwings Resort $39.99
Rayman 3DS $39.99
Ridge Racer 3DS $39.99
Samurai Warriors Chronicles $39.99
Steel Driver $39.99
Super Monkey Ball 3D $39.99
Super Street Fighter IV $39.99
The SIMS 3 $39.99
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon : Shadow Wars $39.99

04/10/11
Rabbids Travel in Time $39.99
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell 3D $39.99

05/03/11
Dream Trigger $39.99
Pinball Hall of Fame Williams Ed. 3DS $29.99
Thor: God of Thunder $34.99

05/04/11
Dual Pen Sports 3DS $39.99

05/10/11
LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean
SpongeBob Squigglepant $39.99

05/11/11
Balloon Pop 2 3DS $19.99

05/17/11
Dead or Alive Dimensions $39.99

05/25/11
Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion $39.99

06/01/11
Captain America: Super Soldier $34.99

06/02/11
Angler's Club: Ultimate Bass Fishing $39.99
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D $39.99

06/07/11
James Noir's Hollywood Crimes $39.99

06/08/11
Pac-Man & Galaga Dimensions $39.99

06/14/11
Transformers: Dark of the Moon $39.99

06/28/11
Cave Story 3D $TBD

06/29/11
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overdrive $39.99

07/06/11
Resident Evil: The Mercenaries (includes demo of RE: Revelations packed-in) $39.99

08/02/11 (Just a placeholder date for upcoming 1st party titles...don't have a heart attack :p)
Animal Crossing 3DS $39.99
Kid Icarus: Uprising $39.99
Mario Kart 3D $39.99
Paper Mario 3D $39.99
Star Fox 64 3D $39.99
Super Mario 3D $39.99

09/02/11
Face Kart: Photo Finish $39.99
Pet Zombies in 3D $39.99

09/27/11
Skylanders Spyro's Adventure Pack $59.99

10/04/11
The Hidden $39.99
Cooking Mama 4 $39.99

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of crap that some people already got theirs today from Amazon and some are getting theirs Monday. I pre-ordered almost as soon as it was possible and it's still showing delivery for Tuesday, and that's with a one-day shipping upgrade from Prime. Weak.

[quote name='SteveGo']Kind of crap that some people already got theirs today from Amazon and some are getting theirs Monday. I pre-ordered almost as soon as it was possible and it's still showing delivery for Tuesday, and that's with a one-day shipping upgrade from Prime. Weak.[/QUOTE]

This happens every time Nintendo launches a system on a Sunday.

Amazon ships many of the "slower" orders earlier, say Friday, with the assumption that they'll take 2-3+ days to reach their destination. Sometimes this results in people lucking out and getting early deliveries.

The faster orders, with guaranteed delivery dates, ship later so they don't arrive before the launch date.

Let this be a lesson for future launches....

[quote name='Justin42']This happens every time Nintendo launches a system on a Sunday.

Amazon ships many of the "slower" orders earlier, say Friday, with the assumption that they'll take 2-3+ days to reach their destination. Sometimes this results in people lucking out and getting early deliveries.

The faster orders, with guaranteed delivery dates, ship later so they don't arrive before the launch date.

Let this be a lesson for future launches....[/QUOTE]

I think it also depends on where you live.

[quote name='omster']I think it also depends on where you live.[/QUOTE]

yeah. i think so too. Amazon has always had a March 30th delivery date for me (2 day shipping) so I'm not gonna cry about some people getting lucky and getting their systems early. (Good for them!) If I wanted to be guaranteed a day 1 delivery, i'd have gotten it from a B&m retailer.

By the way, saw this:

"Amazon.com has announced that their presale orders for Nintendo’s newest gadget were the most for any game system that they’ve offered up to this point."

[quote name='omster']I think it also depends on where you live.[/QUOTE]

yeah, they need to ship it out using a method that delivers on weekends and you need to live within a day of the warehouse. :) Otherwise, you get it with everyone else.

[quote name='confoosious']
By the way, saw this:
"Amazon.com has announced that their presale orders for Nintendo’s newest gadget were the most for any game system that they’ve offered up to this point."[/QUOTE]

While true, its a kind of misleading stat. All other console pre orders would only stay up for like a few minutes at a time before selling out so they didn't have the opportunity to sell massive quantities. It seems like Nintendo has released a much larger supply then we generally see with a new game system.

And I really hope they do that for their next systems!

Well, mine shipped...I think I was going to cancel it, but though I had longer... I don't know...

Mine just shipped out on Sat. and will arrive on the 28th. It's shipping from Reno, NV and I live in Northern CA.

Awesome!

I think Amazon gave me $50 credit and two free accessories because I had ordered two systems!
(per the terms, I was expecting one)

Also, if you had SFIV ordered before they changed it to $10 credit for launch titles only, it seems that they give you both $10 credits for $20 total.

So now I have $70 in credit. Plus the two free crappy accessories.

With the new $10 off instantly promo that started today, that will be two free games, thanks Amazon.

bread's done
Back