Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='Spybreak8']Steering peripheral for Mario Kart 7!? Lol how will that work after someone has the other stupid 2nd stick add on. Is it so hard to hold onto the handheld itself?! Face Palm[/QUOTE]

It's not like the second stick is going to be welded on or anything.

Apparently people dig these things.. especially kids I guess.

[quote name='ZombieToast']By the time they're done making peripherals, the 3DS will be a Swiss Army Knife.[/QUOTE]

much like every smart phone w/wifi and a data plan...at least the 3DS has the novelty of 3D imaging and recording...now if I can get it to replace my GPS.

[quote name='ZombieToast']By the time they're done making peripherals, the 3DS will be a Swiss Army Knife.[/QUOTE]

boyscoutsnthehood_07.jpg

Only five of the ten GBA Virtual Console games have been announced so far. They are as follows:

Yoshi's Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3
Mario Kart™: Super Circuit
Metroid™ Fusion
WarioWare™, Inc.: Mega Microgame$
Mario vs. Donkey Kong™

lol.... That 3DS wheel looks funny, it might not be real bad since it will give you a better grip. I wouldn't want to fumble the 3DS while doing a power slide!

my concern is with the 3D effect on, if you're literally steering the wheel wouldn't it mess up the 3D effect more often than not? yeah...

finally transferred my miis to the 3ds...a lot of fun.

It wasn't much of an issue with Super Monkey Ball and it probably won't be much of an issue this MK7 either. Or they might just not include 3D for this game. Either way, I don't plan on playing in 3D because it's too distracting for a game like this.

After using it some more, I have to say I don't like where the stylus is, I don't like having to hit the power button 3 times to turn it on, and I the same with the wifi switch. You often have to hit that about 3 times to get it turn off or on.

if you have a carry all case, you could store the stylus or an extra stylus in one of the stylus slots. makes for easier accessibility. as for the power button taking 2-3 times to get it to finally turn on, on the flip side it sometimes takes that many times to accidently turn it off.

Word from the Iwata Asks on Mario 3D is that MK7's 3D works great as the player is positioned at the center depth of field (and the camera concept was ported to Mario Land). I wasn't expecting much out of the 3D on a third person perspective esp. considering how difficult PilotWings/Ridge Racer was in similar viewpoints, but it looks like they're making more and more headway in improving things here, definitely faster than I expected them to.

Can't wait till knowledge trickles down to third party devs, as there's definitely companies that understand how to get this right, and many more that don't quite get it. The slider can only go so far to fix shoddy adjustments by the devs...

Famitsu has certainly become more 'westernized' with their review scores. However, for a spin-off title to be scoring so highly it is quite promising as SQEX doesn't really shell out cash for review scores on anything but flagship titles.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Rocket Slime scored 10/9/9/9 in Famitsu. Yay.[/QUOTE]
Average-ish score for them. That's about the equivalent of a 6 out of 10.

[quote name='Xellos2099']Do we know which are the 10 free gba game we are getting?[/QUOTE]

what's this I hear about getting free games?

i went to GS the other day and they tried really hard to sell me preorders when I said I wasn't interested in preordering just yet the sales girl printed out a list of games coming out for the 3DS. So if anyone was interested in having a hard copy list with titles and dates...you can probably request that.

that said, they need to put out more $1.99 and below quality dsiware.

Is the update for the 3DS coming tonight at midnight? (Pacific Coast US time)

What features do you look forward to CAGs from the update? I am kinda excited for the video recording, I have no video recorder what so ever (not on phone or ipod touch) and this will be my way of recording videos when I'm out and about.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Kirby's Adventure in 3D :drool:

Any news on an American release of Rocket Slime 3? I want that game badly.[/QUOTE]

I didn't even know there was a rocket slime 2...! I just read the wiki on it and now i'm sad, since I was hoping for another DS game. Even so, I may see if i can track down the GBA game somewhere.

[quote name='BattleChicken']I didn't even know there was a rocket slime 2...! I just read the wiki on it and now i'm sad, since I was hoping for another DS game. Even so, I may see if i can track down the GBA game somewhere.[/QUOTE]

The Rocket Slim we got is Rocket Slim 2. Rocket Slim 1 is on GBA Japan only. However it has since gotten a fan translation patch.

[quote name='62t']The Rocket Slim we got is Rocket Slim 2. Rocket Slim 1 is on GBA Japan only. However it has since gotten a fan translation patch.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure he meant Rocket Slime 3.

[quote name='200STM']Is the update for the 3DS coming tonight at midnight? (Pacific Coast US time)

What features do you look forward to CAGs from the update? I am kinda excited for the video recording, I have no video recorder what so ever (not on phone or ipod touch) and this will be my way of recording videos when I'm out and about.[/QUOTE]

I still haven't updated neither of my systems. I'll look into that later.

1 more week till I will brush the dust off my 3DS! (not for lack of loving the system, but because I've been busy with console titles / work). Any good deals on Mario or concurrent deals that can be used on it? Wish the b2g1 sales were next week :(

Scored an Ambassador 3DS on Craigslist. Came with SF4, Zelda, Starfox, and 1-2 downloaded games from the shop. All for $170!

The UI and Home screen functions seem much more fully realized, and the analog nub feels pretty good unless you're playing an NES game. Really dislike how low the D-Pad is... usually when there's a stick and d-pad, the separation is more horizontal and less vertical. Will take some getting used to.

But yeah, I'm in the club now. I'll post a friend code as soon as I figure out where that's located ^_^

[quote name='johnnypark']Scored an Ambassador 3DS on Craigslist. Came with SF4, Zelda, Starfox, and 1-2 downloaded games from the shop. All for $170!

The UI and Home screen functions seem much more fully realized, and the analog nub feels pretty good unless you're playing an NES game. Really dislike how low the D-Pad is... usually when there's a stick and d-pad, the separation is more horizontal and less vertical. Will take some getting used to.

But yeah, I'm in the club now. I'll post a friend code as soon as I figure out where that's located ^_^[/QUOTE]

That's a nice deal there!

[quote name='johnnypark']Scored an Ambassador 3DS on Craigslist. Came with SF4, Zelda, Starfox, and 1-2 downloaded games from the shop. All for $170!

But yeah, I'm in the club now. I'll post a friend code as soon as I figure out where that's located ^_^[/QUOTE]

score!!!

Amazon has Nintendogs + Cats: French Bulldog version Used - like new for $12.73

Free shipping eligible "Game is in original packaging, and 100% guaranteed to play."

For some reason the Used - good copies are priced higher? But I figured it was legit because it's sold by express media, which I believe is Noram, the place where you trade in your games to amazon. There are 4 copies left if anyone else is interested.

I had almost picked it up for $16 and change the other day. So is there a reason why this version is cheaper than the the other two?

Okay Nintendo...we gotta talk.

I don't know if you heard, but Shantae: Risky's Revenge just popped up on the App Store. Wanna guess how much the game that costs $12 on your store costs there?

C'mon. Guess. I'll give you a hint: it's not $12.

Try $3. The game is also distributed as a demo version, where you try it and purchase the whole game if you like it. This isn't my favorite distribution method but...hey, there's a demo and the game's a whole $3. Oh? A demo. That's where you try the game rather than have it be a blind purchase. Wacky, huh? I know you've experimented with them before, even though I think you secretly think they're shameful.

Mighty Flip Champs, another one of your highest rated DSi games, went on sale on PSN. A sale. Can you get over that? What a concept! The game, which still (and always) costs $8 in Nintendoland cost $2 on PSN.

Also, with both of these stores, the games are tied to accounts. I know, shocking, huh? I could go buy an iPod Touch today and play Shantae on both my iDevices without having to buy it again. Or I could put Mighty Flip Champs on both my PS3 and PSP. Criminal.

Now, just between you and me, I have to admit I would pay a little more to put something on a DSi or 3DS. It's just very convenient and I like it. Always have. Plus: real buttons? Made of win. If it were the same or close, I'd choose you guys every time.

But there's a big difference between $12 and $3. And $8 and $2. That's not a little more. That's a lot. And I kind of hate to tell you, but there's just a lot more going on in those other stores. Free stuff, sales, lower cost items. Yeah, much of it lacks your polish and sensibility. But much of it is good enough that I find I spend a lot of time there. And money. Wish I could say the same for your store, but I haven't bought anything there in like forever. And it's not like everything you have is flawless, either.

I'm worried about you, off in your own little corner. I don't want you to turn into them, but you seem to be giving up in a way. Sticking stubbornly with something that never worked well, and hoping it will be different somehow. But so far it's a lot more of the same. Well, not a lot more. Things have been kind of slow.

I know you're probably preoccupied with Mario Land right now, but you gotta get back in the game. It's not too late, but you're going to have to do some work to get people back and interested in your store. You can't continue to charge more for less and expect people to throw money at you anymore.

Well, gotta go. Super Crossfire was on sale yesterday (no, not your store silly!) and I have to go try it. See ya!

Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair, those titles were developed from the ground up for DSiWare and had to recoup entirely on those platforms. Only after they had recouped were they in turn ported to other stores where they only have to recoup the cost of the port. If Shantae or Flip Champs had been developed from the ground up for PSN or the app store, they would have almost certainly cost more money.

Iwata mentioned that they are working to allow eShop purchases from a web browser, which suggests an account system being put into place. So supposedly that's in the pipeline. That doesn't excuse its tardiness.

Sales need to be implemented. I'm of the opinion that this is largely a Japanese attitude in place that's ruining that, given that Nintendo has said repeatedly that they feel a certain abstract obligation to the products themselves, and that drowning a marketplace in cheap merchandise is going to kill things in the long run. I'm not defending this stance, and this is really more of a guess. Squeenix has made similar comments, which is why they swore that Final Fantasy wouldn't come to virtual shops and the like.

Gaming is moving into new territories and the only option is to accept that and adapt, or slowly diminish and die. Everyone keeps pointing at tablets and smartphones, and while I'm still shaky on those, it doesn't remove the fact that people are expecting digital stuff to be accessible, movable, and hassle free.

Um cheap merchandise, I would like to talk to Nintendo about that too. Nintendo has its fair share of shovelware on its systems, which I would akin to all the lame apps on the apple app store. Nintendo is not immune from shovelware. Ok then how about implement an actual quality control system so broken and bad games are not released on your systems (Action girlz racing anyone?) and that you make sure that every game is up to the highest quality standards before it is released. Theoretically if they hate cheap merchandise so much then the system would have no shovelware, motion controls would work perfectly for every game, there wouldn't be 1 glitch in any game and every game on the system would be an AAA title that is worth buying.

Smartphones and tablets have completely taken over here, if you don't see it then you are very, very blind and ignorant. Many children are getting smartphones as gifts instead of Nintendo systems, I see 8 year olds walking around with smartphones all the time over here. In the end it comes down to the fact that people want one device in their pockets, not multiple and since a phone is essential the phone will always win regardless of the quality of the games.

The account system is really drawing me into other systems, and the fact that credit for points or purchases for other systems is easily available. iTunes cards are everywhere, and I have a surplus of them I have won in contests/received as gifts so much so that I won't ever need to buy one again. Same with microsoft points, which I will probably have to buy eventually, but I can still get them free through contests and promotions like bing rewards and xbox live rewards. Almost no stores here have Nintendo points in stock but almost every store has Microsoft or iTunes gift cards. How about adding NIntendo points as a club Nintendo reward? There is really no excuse why they can't gift us points like the other guys.

Shovelware != shoddy merchandise. If the game is functionally playable, it qualifies. I know gamers just love to get mad about this, which is really odd when they are so quick to start pulling up the App store (which you absolutely did one paragraph down). So you're saying that shovelware shouldn't be there because it should pass some sort of quality "is the game actually good" test, and then turn around and point to the worst offender of this and somehow claim "see? it should be done like that."

The alternative judgement is that Nintendo returns to the more Draconian methods of the NES era, which people still cry about to this day. Further, it would be branded as some kind of "Nintendo is choosing what is best for you" nonsense.

In other words, your answer is to let the market be there, allowing the greatest range of products available, because the alternative is a lot of bad press, some of it truthful but the majority of it a lot of faffing about.

You're misinterpreting what I'm saying, and I'm trying to figure out if you're doing that on purpose or not. I should probably have qualified that in general Nintendo's obligation is toward their own software and products.

Taking this into a smartphone vs everyone else argument isn't even in the same ballpark of discussion.

I'm a little confused about StreetPass. Is it whenever the 3DS is in sleep mode and it's enabled? Or is it specific to the software you want to get passes on? IE can I get passes on SF4 and another game as long as the system knows I have those games and have enabled it?

[quote name='johnnypark']I'm a little confused about StreetPass. Is it whenever the 3DS is in sleep mode and it's enabled? Or is it specific to the software you want to get passes on? IE can I get passes on SF4 and another game as long as the system knows I have those games and have enabled it?[/QUOTE]

You're right on all of those, in a sense. You can control which titles you can receive street passes on, it usually will ask if you want it turned on or off when you first play a game that supports it. But you don't have to have said cartridge in your system, it'll automatically receive them for whichever titles you have them turned on for. And, yes, it's on whenever you have you 3DS in sleep mode as long as you have it enabled.

I want to be clear that I'm not really looking to fan a Nintendo vs. Apple theme, here. My main point is and always has been that Nintendo just needs to up its game with its eShop.

Smart-phone games pwn Nintendo and PlayStation in 2011 revenue

(Also, I find it delightful that a newspaper uses 'pwn' in a headline :))

For context, the Globe and Mail is a regular daily newspaper with no particular axe to grind against Nintendo, though they certainly haven't been pulling any punches lately, as links in the article will bear out.

The article should not be surprising -- the App store outselling PSN and Nintendo's eShop would get a resounding 'duh' from even those stores' hardcore supporters -- until you realize they mean all games, including retail cartridges and UMDs. That surprised me.

I'm hoping Mario Land will help turn things around. Reviews so far have been great and it sounds like exactly what's needed from a retail 3DS game right now.

if the eshop had more ports for $0.99 - $1.99 I'd definitely be buying a lot more games. I dont think they have demos either unless you go to a hotspot. That needs to change.

while i think smart phones are great and the apps are great, im not a fan of the mandatory data plans that go with it. I know i pay for xbl, internet, and cable but an extra $30 a month + the tax on that for my phone is better spent elsewhere imo especially when I'd need to upgrade a smartphone every 1.5 years.

i like the 3DS for what i use it for, im just hoping they put out more games and improve their features sooner.

I get everything I need with an iPod touch so no expensive smart phone bills for me. Obviously people in my area are paying the smartphone bills and do not mind as everyone has one. FYI I don't think I would ever pay as much money as the carriers are charging to have a smartphone, its just not worth it for me.

I am not sure which is the worst offender of shovelware at this point, having 10-15 Petz titles taking up limited retail space for the DS or the App store which has thousands of shovelware games and lame apps that you have to sift through to find the good stuff. Not including the Wii in this argument. When I go look at DS games in a store there is nothing but kids games, but that does not mean a better selection isn't available online, but the retail stores don't exactly give a very good vibe to the system for those who own the system as an adult. I have mentioned it before on these forums but gaming retail sucks where I live, if you want anything decent and you want it to be in stock then you have to order online.

As far as the 3DS the selection is pretty much the same at every store, since there isn't that much right now for it. However I am seeing a lot of 3D remakes of DS games for the 3rd party games, which seems really pointless to me.

[quote name='100xp']while i think smart phones are great and the apps are great, im not a fan of the mandatory data plans that go with it. I know i pay for xbl, internet, and cable but an extra $30 a month + the tax on that for my phone is better spent elsewhere imo especially when I'd need to upgrade a smartphone every 1.5 years.

i like the 3DS for what i use it for, im just hoping they put out more games and improve their features sooner.[/QUOTE]

I love my internet everywhere I go. What I hate is having voice. I'd rather pay $60 unlimited data than $30 data and $50 voice.

Hell, I'd go as far a saying I'd pay Verizon $100 for unlimited 4G with tether/mobile hotspot. Home internet + phone costs me much more.

bread's done
Back