Nintendo 3DS Price Drop Hits on August 9th at Walmart

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[IMG-R=5838]24198[/IMG-R]According to a trusted source, Walmart will be dropping the price of the Nintendo 3DS on August 9th, 3 days before the official drop takes effect. This means savvy shoppers will be able to get the new low price and the 20 free downloadable games available as a reward to early adopters of the 3DS. Just connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on Aug. 11 to qualify for the free games.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love all these constant reminders of how I got raped on the price just 2 weeks before the price drop was announced.

[quote name='Proto Man']I love all these constant reminders of how I got raped on the price just 2 weeks before the price drop was announced.[/QUOTE]

I know the feeling. It happened to me with the Gamecube...

I think I am going to be using my 3DS a lot to watch Netflix in bed since I can't always use my 360 or laptop, that way I can use my iPhone to do other things.

[quote name='jubeininja69']i'm waiting 3ds lite.[/QUOTE]
I thought 3DS is already comparable in size to DS Lite.

[quote name='eliter1']I know the feeling. It happened to me with the Gamecube...

I think I am going to be using my 3DS a lot to watch Netflix in bed since I can't always use my 360 or laptop, that way I can use my iPhone to do other things.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't the video resolution of the top 3DS screen be pretty low for Netflix? Like 400x240? Sounds like movies would look pretty bad streamed on the top screen of the 3DS . . . but whatever. I'd rather see movies streamed on my Droid X, which has an 854x480 display, over twice the resolution (and a larger 4.3" screen vs. the 3.53" 3DS screen).

i tried netflicks last night and i was locked out of my 3ds for about 10 mins hehe. heard netflicks is going to get a few 3d movies for the 3ds ,tho :)

Anyways now i got to get some games cheap:)

[quote name='Magicman103']in size, yes. in battery life? hell no.[/QUOTE]
WTF. Battery life is only 3-5 hours?!

Bought mine yesterday and only did the system update in order to secure the Ambassador program. Didn't spend enough time to burn through the battery to find that out.

I'll stick to my DS Lite for DS games now, which lasts like >15 hours.

[quote name='eau']WTF. Battery life is only 3-5 hours?!

Bought mine yesterday and only did the system update in order to secure the Ambassador program. Didn't spend enough time to burn through the battery to find that out.

I'll stick to my DS Lite for DS games now, which lasts like >15 hours.[/QUOTE]

Supposedly the battery life is longer when playing DS games, anywhere from 5-8 hours, but anything dealing with 3D and it drops the battery down to 3-5.. It sucks, but I've heard Nintendo isn't going to release a Lite version anytime soon, so we'll have to deal with it, haha. That was the main thing holding me back before, but then I was thinking that most of the time I would play my DS at home anyways, so I decided it wasn't a huge problem. Picked up mine just a few minutes ago.. however the update keeps giving me an error.. anyone know why this is happening? =(

[quote name='Graviex']Supposedly the battery life is longer when playing DS games, anywhere from 5-8 hours, but anything dealing with 3D and it drops the battery down to 3-5.. It sucks, but I've heard Nintendo isn't going to release a Lite version anytime soon, so we'll have to deal with it, haha. That was the main thing holding me back before, but then I was thinking that most of the time I would play my DS at home anyways, so I decided it wasn't a huge problem. Picked up mine just a few minutes ago.. however the update keeps giving me an error.. anyone know why this is happening? =([/QUOTE]
kinda odd its giving u a error i say fix ur connection settings agian and try agian

[quote name='capsnikerz']kinda odd its giving u a error i say fix ur connection settings agian and try agian[/QUOTE]

The connection works fine, and the update starts without a problem.. but about half way through the update it says an error has occurred and returns me to the menu :cry: This attempt looks like it might make it though!! Wish me luck, haha

By just connecting to the eShop, you would also qualify for the Ambassador program, in case you can't get the system update to complete.

Those of you who are buying the system from best buy, are you guys buying the 2-year protection plan as well? With all the top-screen wobble, screen scratches (preventable), squeaky D-Pad, and volume issues, I bit on it. I suppose nintendo would address these problems on their next iteration of the system.

Only had the 3DS for 4 days and top-screen already feels a little loose, maybe that's because I am pressing the bottons a little hard when I am playing SFIV 3D Edition. Still it concerns me that it might get worse later.

[quote name='eau']By just connecting to the eShop, you would also qualify for the Ambassador program, in case you can't get the system update to complete.[/QUOTE]

Don't you have to update the system to be able to connect to the eShop? I didn't see the eShop icon at all until after the system update.

[quote name='eau']By just connecting to the eShop, you would also qualify for the Ambassador program, in case you can't get the system update to complete.[/QUOTE]

I finally got the update to go through.. After turning off my router's firewall temporarily. So is there a notification or anything saying that you're in the ambassador program? Or do I just assume I'm in it after connecting to the shop?

[quote name='Graviex']I finally got the update to go through.. After turning off my router's firewall temporarily. So is there a notification or anything saying that you're in the ambassador program? Or do I just assume I'm in it after connecting to the shop?[/QUOTE]
I didn't get a pop-up, but there is a tab that says "News," which tells you, among other things, that you are in the Ambassador Program.

was shopping around my area looking at bestbuy i didnt see any 3DS then sears have but old price and last was target had a few but again old price show . so didnt ask anyone . but i seen on here if did you ask to check you got new price instead as on saw posted on here. and walmart site half one of ones are slod out a few have some and surprize one or are in stock in my area southeastern, Ma i am getting one it just when

[quote name='arcadegamer']was shopping around my area looking at bestbuy i didnt see any 3DS then sears have but old price and last was target had a few but again old price show . so didnt ask anyone . but seen if did you the new price as read of here. and walmart site half one of ones are slod out a few have some and surprize one or are in stock in my area southeastern, Ma i am getting one it just when[/QUOTE]

I feel stupidier now......

[quote name='arcadegamer']was shopping around my area looking at bestbuy i didnt see any 3DS then sears have but old price and last was target had a few but again old price show . so didnt ask anyone . but seen if did you the new price as read of here. and walmart site half one of ones are slod out a few have some and surprize one or are in stock in my area southeastern, Ma i am getting one it just when[/QUOTE]

Umm....that sucks?

[quote name='Mr. Sax Appeal']Don't you have to update the system to be able to connect to the eShop? I didn't see the eShop icon at all until after the system update.[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure. I was able to update my system on the first try last night. I didn't try the eShop before the update. Nintendo official statement says you do a system update or connect to the eShop. So I assume you can just do the latter.

The eShop didn't launch until early June w/ E3. Normally they probably would've started pushing systems out with that update, but with the slow sales probably not. So basically, yeah, you're going to need to do a system update to get the eShop.

it look like going back tomorrow while i dont care that much about the free games i have some of them mario and metroid for gba games and nes games i played and hav some of in some form of them over the yrs it no big deal. if was soldout fine i wait if not i was going to get it. and last thing in my state on this weekend no sale tax so that cool too so save money. so i see what happen tomorrow :)

should i get a screen protector? ppl keep saying the hori one has a purple tint to it and i have the cosmo black one. :/ any alternatives? or is that my best shot. dont want to darken, change or ruin anything on the screen. thanks guys

[quote name='knightsdwn']It makes the 3DS noticeably heavier but gives a better grip on the system especially for people with larger hands. Well worth the extra heft.

It does work with the stock charger but not the charge base. Nyko sells a base along with the Power Pak for several bucks more though.[/QUOTE]

Thanks knightsdwn.

Lately, I've been leaving the wifi on mostly to see what vids get sent to the system but it means I have to recharge every other day (from standby, netflix and game use).

Better grip would be nice as well since my hands cramp from the claw grip I have to use to stablize the unit as it is a bit top-heavy.

[quote name='pandanese90']should i get a screen protector? ppl keep saying the hori one has a purple tint to it and i have the cosmo black one. :/ any alternatives? or is that my best shot. dont want to darken, change or ruin anything on the screen. thanks guys[/QUOTE]
yes, the HORI screen protector does have a purple tint to it when looking at the upper display and the system is turned off.

(I believe it has to due to the filtering that the protector provides and the glossy black plastic that covers the entire upper panel. however, this does not appear to detract or affect the display once the system is turned on)

picture with the system powered off shot with an iphone 3GS (my SLR's flash detracted way too much)

3DS%20off.jpg

3DS%20on.jpg

edit:
the protective cover on my 3DS is HORI's silicone cover available in black and white (shown above)
amazon.com sells the black version, but not the white

black cover:
http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-3DS-Silicone-Protector-Black/dp/B004K6LQA8
http://www.play-asia.com/Protect_Case_3DS_Clear/paOS-13-71-18g-49-en-70-439z.html

white cover:
http://www.play-asia.com/Silicon_Cover_3DS_White/paOS-13-71-18g-49-en-70-439y.html

edit2:
apparently, HORI USA has it's own webshop and most of their products are available
http://www.hori.jp/us/products_DS.htm

I'm really thinking about getting one today to take advantage of the ambassador program but I'm very concerned with battery life. I've read a bunch of articles but I want to hear from a real gamer who plays their systems, how long does the system seem to last with and without 3d? I'm out on travel normally so that is my main concern.

Sorry if this has been answered a million times.

[quote name='Glomerate']I'm really thinking about getting one today to take advantage of the ambassador program but I'm very concerned with battery life. I've read a bunch of articles but I want to hear from a real gamer who plays their systems, how long does the system seem to last with and without 3d? I'm out on travel normally so that is my main concern.

Sorry if this has been answered a million times.[/QUOTE]

I usually get bored of playing before the battery dies. I know its not really helpful, but its never been an issue for me.

[quote name='admiralvic']I usually get bored of playing before the battery dies. I know its not really helpful, but its never been an issue for me.[/QUOTE]

It's not that it's not helpful, cause I'm usually the same way with portables but I know i'll be cooped up in a hotel room most nights so it might get some heavy use. ;)

[quote name='arcadegamer']was shopping around my area looking at bestbuy i didnt see any 3DS then sears have but old price and last was target had a few but again old price show . so didnt ask anyone . but i seen on here if did you ask to check you got new price instead as on saw posted on here. and walmart site half one of ones are slod out a few have some and surprize one or are in stock in my area southeastern, Ma i am getting one it just when[/QUOTE]

I don't know where in SE MA you are, but the Swansea Mall Wal-Mart had a ton on Wednesday...

[quote name='labelmeoriginal']~$185 total (including tax) for a handheld? An Xbox 360 or Wii can be found for around the same price. $120 is the sweet spot for me. To those who picked it up already, enjoy it! I'm too cheap to pull the trigger right now. :p[/QUOTE]

I have to agree. Once the price drops, you'll start seeing some $120 and below 3DS on eBay - new or used.

[quote name='Glomerate']It's not that it's not helpful, cause I'm usually the same way with portables but I know i'll be cooped up in a hotel room most nights so it might get some heavy use. ;)[/QUOTE]

Well purely guesstimating I think I can get about 4 hours out of it before it becomes low bat.

[quote name='TwistedOrange']I have to agree. Once the price drops, you'll start seeing some $120 and below 3DS on eBay - new or used.[/QUOTE]

I think the price is about right especially when you factor in the free games, seems to me a solid deal. Now if you have half these games and don't mind buying used or waiting then yeah you can get one for $120 to $150. My situation is my son is turning 4 and loves Mario and hasn't played any of these games! This is a supervised kind of toy for him and it is backwards compatible with a ton of very affordable DS games so for me it really is a great deal. Personally I would never own a DS of any kind.

[quote name='AnubisRW']I don't know where in SE MA you are, but the Swansea Mall Wal-Mart had a ton on Wednesday...[/QUOTE] Dartmouth,MA

Has anyone heard of an extension to the ambassador program. GS just told me it doesn't expire tonight according to a letter they got from nintendo.

[quote name='darkjedi187']Has anyone heard of an extension to the ambassador program. GS just told me it doesn't expire tonight according to a letter they got from nintendo.[/QUOTE]
I can't see that as fact. the whole point of the ambassador program was a 'thank you' from nintendo to the early adopters that paid the full retail price.

[quote name='darkjedi187']Has anyone heard of an extension to the ambassador program. GS just told me it doesn't expire tonight according to a letter they got from nintendo.[/QUOTE]
Using GS as a source of information is always a bad idea.

I love all these "letters from Nintendo" that Gamestop allegedly receives.

well I broke down and bought the last black one at my local walmart. I hope I'm not disappointing. Now I just have to sell my old ds lite and psp 3000

[quote name='pandanese90']anyone got any good games for dl on the store??? i cant wait for any mario game on the ambassador program[/QUOTE]

I recommend Mario Vs DK, Shantae: Risky's Revenge, Dragon Quest Wars, and Mighty Flip Champs (although MFC has a DX version for PSP / PS3).

Just got an email from Gamestop saying this weekend, the 3DS is $99 when you trade in a DSL/DSi/XL.

I'm tempted to fix my hinge crack (since I already bought a replacement lid) and trading it in.

Just to let you guys know, the cutoff for the Ambassador program is 11:59 EASTERN time, so don't get all pissy if you decide to wait till the last minute like an idiot.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Just to let you guys know, the cutoff for the Ambassador program is 11:59 EASTERN time, so don't get all pissy if you decide to wait till the last minute like an idiot.[/QUOTE]

SHHHHH!!!!!!!! Those idiots make the night time great! Just like the PSN Welcome Back ones XD

[quote name='j.m.ratkos']yes, the HORI screen protector does have a purple tint to it when looking at the upper display and the system is turned off.[/QUOTE]
The purple tint reminds me of multicoating on photographic lenses. It reduces reflection and is a good thing.

Bought mine two days ago at walmart. I am pleasantly surprised with the system. For 170 the system and free games are definitely worth it.

[quote name='pandanese90']should i get a screen protector? ppl keep saying the hori one has a purple tint to it and i have the cosmo black one. :/ any alternatives? or is that my best shot. dont want to darken, change or ruin anything on the screen. thanks guys[/QUOTE]

It has a tint to it but its barely visible and not visible at all when the screen is on. I wouldn't make the purchase decision based on that.

What I WOULD make the decision on is that the touchscreen sensitivity decreases slightly which i find rather annoying - i end up having to double tap a lot because my first touch doesn't register.

bread's done
Back