Nintendo DSi and DSi XL Out Now. "3DS" Showing at E3

The DSi has twice the CPU power and 4x the RAM, its a new machine that is using the existing DS library as a transition for DSi exclusive and DSiWare games.

I can definitely get behind you if you dont think its worth the upgrade now. I'm not buying one for now, and you dont have to either.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ski Hawk']Reasons I am keeping my DS Lite:
-I can trade pokemon between my Diamond and Platinum
-I can import pokemon from my GBA pokemon games
-My DS Lite is the limited edition pokemon one.[/QUOTE]

Wow....all nintendo has to do is slap a pokemon right on the front of a DSi and you will be all over it like white on rice.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']The DSi has twice the CPU power and 4x the RAM, its a new machine that is using the existing DS library as a transition for DSi exclusive and DSiWare games.

I can definitely get behind you if you dont think its worth the upgrade now. I'm not buying one for now, and you dont have to either.[/QUOTE]

But the key question is will the DSi sell enough for there to every be much exclusive software and whether the DSiWare games are any less worthless than the Wiiware offerings.

I just don't see it. It's a bad idea, not enough people will buy them, many will keep buying the DS Lite as it's $40 cheaper.

This was better held off another year or two and launched as a true successor to the DS. As it is now it's like a DS 1.5 that's likely not going to sell like a new iteration would as people don't see it as a "next-gen" portable.

As such I just see it getting a lot of DSWare stuff--most of which is shovelware, and very few exclusive cart games (especially from third parties) as publishers opt to keep developing for the DS which hits that huge base AND the DSi owners. Just not much incentive to make DSi exclusives which only sell to that small portion of the DS market. Probably just see some games with DSi exclusive content that's nothing to write home about.

One - Developers and consumers arent unhappy with the Wiiware service as you are implying.

Salewise, its outpaced DSLite preorders in the US, and in 6 months in Japan has sold 2 million and will be ahead of the PS3 there well before the end of the year. All Nintendo needs to do to force a transition is to discontinue the Lite, but they're going to start early and ease into it. Developers are perfectly welcome to stay with just DS software for as long as they like, but as the install base grows, someone is going to want to be the first big fish in the smaller pool.

I wouldve personally waited on a DS upgrade also. But I'm not running their business. I'm generally not for new hardware at all or even going backwards in tech, so I cant exactly be trusted with those decisions. I am decidedly unhappy with the non-gaming/multimedia focus. If install base was the end all of the decision, there would never be a new cycle. Sony couldve won this current generation with the PS2. Why would developers get on board the 360/PS3 when they have the 120m+ PS2 base?

We'll see I guess. It's selling well in Japan especially, but still tiny compared to the HUGE DS base. I just don't see it putting big enough sales to cut into that enough to entice developers to make MAJOR, MAINSTREAM games out as DSi exclusives.

But yeah, there will probably be some random games out there and those may be up the alley of Nintendo fans, people happy with the Wii, Wii Ware etc. But we're not going to see something like a DSi Castlvania or some other major franchise that the rest of us give a crap about IMO. But that's just par for the course. Nintendo is making boatloads of money doing their own thing and leaving many long time supporters behind.

It's just weird to launch a more powerful hardware revision that's not an official successor. It just makes little sense--they could have left the power the same and added the SD slot and been set to rake in money selling download games I'd have thought.

But no worries personally as the DS lite is my last portable as I just don't have a need for portables anymore. It's just curious to me from a business standpoint.

[quote name='shlby']Wow....all nintendo has to do is slap a pokemon right on the front of a DSi and you will be all over it like white on rice.[/quote]
I should be more clear...I'm keeping my DS Lite but I'm still buying a DSi (already have, in fact).

It is unprecedented for the market leader to launch a new system before their competitors, who are generally the ones that want to start a new race the most. You can argue that this is a mistake and I wouldnt disagree, perhaps for different reasons.

It does seem that Nintendo has become increasingly paranoid about the strong 2nd place position the PSP has managed, as well as upstart multifunction portables like the iphone. One one hand, Sony can now one-up the DSi with their new machine, on the other hand, they are still at a cost disadvantage since their old machine is only on par with the DSi price.

Nintendo is the hardest game in town to guess. The DSL to DSi power transition is on par with GC to Wii. 2x power, more RAM in both cases. New functionality in this case is the camera and DSiWare.

What makes me the most paranoid about this is if they decide to cut the Wii lifecycle short for a HD machine.
________
Edit: I have just considered the following:

They are launching a new machine AHEAD of support for it. They are building an install base before they even launch their own first party games with it. This is a new idea that might just be crazy enough to work. Maybe even genius.

So I don't have a DSi yet but I'm sort of a junkie for hardware so I'll get one before, I dunno, October. In regards to the "free" DSiWare points, is there any indication that they expire? I ask because while I'd like to get in on the free 1000 points, I have no intention of spending them until some sort of portable Virtual Console comes online.

[quote name='dmaul1114']But the key question is will the DSi sell enough for there to every be much exclusive software and whether the DSiWare games are any less worthless than the Wiiware offerings.

I just don't see it. It's a bad idea, not enough people will buy them, many will keep buying the DS Lite as it's $40 cheaper.

This was better held off another year or two and launched as a true successor to the DS. As it is now it's like a DS 1.5 that's likely not going to sell like a new iteration would as people don't see it as a "next-gen" portable.

As such I just see it getting a lot of DSWare stuff--most of which is shovelware, and very few exclusive cart games (especially from third parties) as publishers opt to keep developing for the DS which hits that huge base AND the DSi owners. Just not much incentive to make DSi exclusives which only sell to that small portion of the DS market. Probably just see some games with DSi exclusive content that's nothing to write home about.[/quote]
When they discontinue the DSL, yes. Even more so when they discontinue DSL and lower the price of DSi.

[quote name='Nohbdy']They do not expire.[/QUOTE]

Good deal, I figured they wouldn't. I'll probably get one towards the end of the summer.

[quote name='J7.']When they discontinue the DSL, yes. Even more so when they discontinue DSL and lower the price of DSi.[/QUOTE]

Will they discontinue it if it's still selling like hotcakes?

And if they do will the DSi sell enough fast enough? i.e. before there's a PSP 2 or something else out that forces Nintendo to put a true "next gen" portable out?

Just odd timing. The DS launced in Fall 2004--so it will be 5 years this fall. Just seems late in the game for this kind of updated hardware vs. just waiting a year or two and putting out a true successor.

I just went to best buy to pick up my dsi, and they still had like 5 of them left.....however, ALL the DS lites were sold out.

[quote name='dmaul1114'] Just seems late in the game for this kind of updated hardware vs. just waiting a year or two and putting out a true successor.[/quote]
They dont have to discontinue production of the DSL. Afterall, Sony is still producing the PSTwo.

You assume too much as far as what constitutes a true successor. We're talking about the people who put out a home console with only 2x more power than the previous one.

The PSP2 isnt necessarily going to force a new handheld. They have 3 disadvantages going into next cycle.

1) They lack last-gen momentum, having not lead the market. Though as we've seen recently, this effect is minimal.
2) Price, unless they plan to launch a new machine at LESS than the current existing one
3) Nintendo has already lept out the gate early and started building an install base for the next cycle, despite not having any new cartridges for it.

The PSP on paper has at over 2x the CPU power and RAM than the DSi. They're going to need something else to compete. From where I sit, the DSi is what has prompted a new handheld from Sony, not the other way around.

Probably true. Nintendo definitely marches to their own beat and are having great success at it. So they may well ride out the DSi for a while and not bother responding to a PSP2, or a better gaming iPhone/iPod etc.

And I doubt they'll ever really be challenged in the handhelds. Such a huge portion of that market has always been kids and they'll always win that market which gives them a leg up on handhelds. Combine the market of Nintendo fans buying for Mario, Zelda etc., and casual/nongamers for stuff like Brain Age and they've got the handheld pretty cornered. They may lose some of the older market who used to buy them for Tetris, or moved onto the fancier graphics on the PSP etc.., but that's a pretty small chunk of their market.

I'll be more interested to see what happens more on the home consoles. i.e. if the Wii 2 comes out only 2x as powerful as the Wii and Sony and MS again have a huge power edge will Nintendo be able to keep the lead they built this gen? Will the people buying Wiis for Wii Sports, Wii Fit etc. be back? Or will they be gone, along with those of us who already moved onto other consoles that fit our gaming needs/interests better? That will be interesting to see...but that's for another thread a few years down the road.

I remember in the last topic, back when bushing revealed his findings regarding the DSi's different modes (i.e. how the DSi uses only half its CPU clock speed and a portion of its memory when playing normal DS carts), and I offhandedly mentioned that the DSi had some extra power that was likely not utilized by the download games. At the time, I figured that DSi cartridges would be coming, but I was not sure if the firmware was capable of hybrids. Now that both exclusive and hybrid carts have been confirmed, well...

The comparisons with the Game Boy Color are not surprising, as:
- The GBC had twice the CPU clock and four times the memory as the GB, the DSi allegedly has twice the CPU clock and four times the memory as the DS.
- GBC could play carts from its immediate predecessor (GB), DSi can play carts from its immediate predecessor (DS); anything older was purchased separately ;) (Game & Watch Collections:rumoured DSi VC)

I will establish the GBC as the highest point on the range. According to Wiki's list, 467 GBC games were released, Nintendo's old list establishes that around 300 of those titles were GBC-exclusive titles, making 167 of them hybrids. If it sounds a bit high, consider taking a look at Nintendo's annual game release breakdown, which proves that the numbers are reasonable. Another chart of note is Nintendo's hardware/software total sales chart.

Some interesting points can be derived from these fiscal-year breakdown charts:
1. This is the first part of a key difference: The release of the GBC came at the clear tail-end of the GB's game title life-span in the US (Compare FY3/1998 in the game release chart, with the next fiscal year, then the game explosion that came in the two years after that). Also, despite selling about 20-25 million GBCs (My estimate) out of a total of 118 million GB/GBCs, the release of the GBC managed to double the library of the Game Boy line, mostly with GBC exclusives, in just three years.

2. With their last handheld (GBA), you can map out the point where Nintendo started to move their support to the DS by looking at their number of releases. They seem to have been having the same sort of downtrend since FY3/2008 (4/2007-3/2008). When they update these charts in a few weeks, FY3/2009 will only show Nintendo producing about 8-14 DS games in the Americas and Japan each, quite a decrease since FY3/2007's high range of 21-34 games. With this in mind, much like the end of the GBA's lifespan (Don't mind the 11 game figure for Nintendo Japan in their last GBA year: seven were Bit Generations games, then there were the ports of FFV and VI they published, along with Rhythm Tengoku, and of course Mother 3), Nintendo seems to be gearing up to move their support to a "successor," the DSi in this case.

Going back to the key difference between the DSi and the GBC, it is important to reiterate that the GBC was released at the tail-end, when the GB was effectively dead in terms of US game releases. The DSi however, has been released a bit... early by comparison, especially if Nintendo is trying to repeat history. Rather than a release at the tail-end, the DSi seems to have been released at what may be a possible peak - the start of a downtrend in game releases. This scenario may not follow the same route as the GBC, which leads me to think...

-Prediction: Unlike the GBC, there will be more hybrid carts than exclusive carts for the DSi. Certainly, a difference between the DS and the original GB, there will still be a sizable active market in the DS that publishers would be hesitant to leave out.

-Continuation: Not to worry, as there will still be a number of DSi exclusives, as even though the DSi does not have 100 million under its belt, it still has the combined advantage of a user-base that is actively looking for games, and a currently small field of competitors (As of Dec. 2008 in the Americas, DS: 870 carts, DSi: 0). In the unlikely event that a doom saying theory comes true, then judging by Nintendo's history, the DS2 will likely be backwards compatible with the DS and DSi library.

Anyways, below is a scale with the GBC at the top, with another item comparable to the DSi, the Nintendo 64 Expansion Pak, at the lowest end of the range. ~60 games in total supported the EP, but only about 5 required it (Majora's Mask, Perfect Dark, DK64, Starcraft 64, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2). This would serve as a good minimum point, as the number of hybrid carts will increase as time goes on, to appeal to both DS segments, and I think that 5 would be a number that accurately represents the least amount of risk that publishers would be willing to take.

55-------------------------------------169 Hybrids
05-------------------------------------300 Exclusives
|--------------------|--------------------|---------->
N64 ExPk-------------------------------GBC

To close this post off, I'd like to share what I think would be potential DSi hybrids and exclusives.

Announced games that could potentially become hybrids:
Dragon Quest IX - The sudden delay (5 months) is strangely long, even for the discovery a serious bug. One rumor that has been going around is that Level 5 may use the extra time add DSi extras. While I think the bug story is true, it is difficult to completely discount this unlikely possibility. DQIX looks to be pushing the DS' limit, and the extra power in the DSi could make it a suitable early hybrid cart.
Kingdom Hearts 368/2 Days - Another game that looks like it could benefit from the DSi's extra power, and we are still far enough away from release that they could reasonably add some hybrid features.
Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks - Same story as the others, and this could fit Nintendo's need for a flagship hybrid title, just like Link's Awakening DX for the GBC.

Pure speculation of future hybrids and/or exclusives:
Animal Crossing Wild World 2 (Hybrid) - Nintendo reps mentioned a capability perfect for an Animal Crossing title at GDC: Taking photos of things and converting them to textures.
New Super Mario Bros. 2/Nintendogs 2: Nintencats (Exclusive) - The predecessors of both are top-selling DS titles; their sequels would make the perfect flagship DSi-exclusive titles for Nintendo.
Metal Gear Ghost Babel 2 (Exclusive) - And keeping with Konami's US naming scheme for the first Ghost Babel for the GBC, they would name this Metal Gear Solid 4 in the US. ;)

------------------
Historical Data page in NoJ's investor relations section - Check back in a few weeks when they release their annual report of FY3/2009.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Will they discontinue it if it's still selling like hotcakes?

And if they do will the DSi sell enough fast enough? i.e. before there's a PSP 2 or something else out that forces Nintendo to put a true "next gen" portable out?

Just odd timing. The DS launced in Fall 2004--so it will be 5 years this fall. Just seems late in the game for this kind of updated hardware vs. just waiting a year or two and putting out a true successor.[/quote]
Well yes you can make that argument, it all depends on their plans for DSi. It would be unfortunate and look bad on Nintendo if they never made use of the upgrades to DSi that required the higher price. So I think they will try to push DSi. Maybe DSL is dropped from production, maybe not. Maybe they do two SKUs and drop the price on both. Maybe drop price on only DSi to $150. If it sells good enough for them maybe this will become the successor.

The GBC comparison is chiefly to imply that the DSi is a transition system, which has yet to be seen.

It is also the first machine to launch with no exclusive cartridges.

To the extent that they will both have support for a while, it is nearly the 3rd tier bullshit they talked about with the original DS.

It is a very nice DS upgrade. I'm just ready for them to move well beyond where they seem to want to stay.

I like my iPod touch a lot and love the download distribution, but it has shortcomings. I think what I wanted was an iPod touch with physical game controls too, for when that would make sense. That's not what this is.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']The GBC comparison is chiefly to imply that the DSi is a transition system, which has yet to be seen.

It is also the first machine to launch with no exclusive cartridges.

To the extent that they will both have support for a while, it is nearly the 3rd tier bullshit they talked about with the original DS.[/QUOTE]

If you're going to throw the "exclusive" modifier in there, then technically the GBC would apply to that statement, as its four launch titles (Tetris DX, Game & Watch Gallery 2, Centipede, Pocket Bomberman) were all hybrid carts, as they're not on Nintendo's list. And if you check the spread of game releases for the GBC, it is not impossible that most of the 169 hybrid carts came during the early stages (First two years) of the GBC's lifespan.

[quote name='Cao Cao']
Anyways, below is a scale with the GBC at the top, with another item comparable to the DSi, the Nintendo 64 Expansion Pak, at the lowest end of the range. ~60 games in total supported the EP, but only about 5 required it (Majora's Mask, Perfect Dark, DK64, Starcraft 64, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2). This would serve as a good minimum point, as the number of hybrid carts will increase as time goes on, to appeal to both DS segments, and I think that 5 would be a number that accurately represents the least amount of risk that publishers would be willing to take.
[/quote]
One of the best posts I've read in a while. Only thing I greatly disagree with is the Expansion pack comparison. Its comparing a console accessory versus handheld hardware. This leads to how many people have/will purchase. The risk is higher from a planning standpoint for deciding to develop a console game for an accessory that you have no idea how well will sell on a struggling hardware console at the tail end of its life cycle. I believe it released near the tail end of 1999. Seeing that even when EP released the N64 software was starting to dry up, even if a publisher wanted to wait to see sales first, it would've been too late. They did not have that option.

Whereas publishers can see that DSi is going to sell much better than such a console accessory, establishing a much higher userbased than those who owned an expansion pack. They also have more time to wait to see how DSi performs than N64 in late 1999. Factor in how much it took to develop a N64 game including the cartridge cost back then, relative to publishers budgets at that time.

So what I really see is the minimum point for DSi only games being higher than 5, but I wouldn't try to pinpoint the number at this time.

huh, if thats the case, maybe this is less abnormal than I thought. Though I believe its still the case that it hasnt launched with any hybrid carts either. What is the situation in Japan with hybrid carts?

Heh, I just thought of the perfect analogy for the GBC's situation: A successful Sega 32X. When you think about why Tom Kalinske pushed it and what he was planning for the 32X, it actually makes perfect sense. Makes me wonder what would happen if the Sega branches didn't have such a harmful regional rivalry, and went with the Neptune instead of the Saturn.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']huh, if thats the case, maybe this is less abnormal than I thought. Though I believe its still the case that it hasnt launched with any hybrid carts either. What is the situation in Japan with hybrid carts?[/QUOTE]
Nothing yet. I imagine that we'll hear something at e3. Right now, Nintendo is probably looking at getting early adopters on board, and will try to snatch some converts in the future with the hybrids and exclusives. The people who don't convert will wait for the DS2.

[quote name='J7.']After reading this post of yours Dr Mario Kart http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5721462&postcount=359 I somehow get the feeling that a PSP2 may actually be releasing this year near Xmas. Just gave me that vibe. I still think it less likely than likely but...[/QUOTE]

I find any PSP2 release in the short-term to be incredibly unlikely. Put bluntly, 2008 was just as bad for the PSP as it was for the Wii (Great stuff in the first half of the year, almost nothing for the latter half). 2009 is looking up for the PSP, as Sony was able to get plenty of big names signed on for the year. To announce that the PSP2 is releasing this year, effectively making the PSP obsolete technology, would do nothing but harm their relationship with those publishers and potentially affect game sales for the PSP. If anything, Sony will probably announce a PSP-4000 redesign at E3.

[quote name='Cao Cao']Heh, I just thought of the perfect analogy for the GBC's situation: A successful Sega 32X. When you think about why Tom Kalinske pushed it and what he was planning for the 32X, it actually makes perfect sense. Makes me wonder what would happen if the Sega branches didn't have such a harmful regional rivalry, and went with the Neptune instead of the Saturn.

Nothing yet. I imagine that we'll hear something at e3. Right now, Nintendo is probably looking at getting early adopters on board, and will try to snatch some converts in the future with the hybrids and exclusives. The people who don't convert will wait for the DS2.

I find any PSP2 release in the short-term to be incredibly unlikely. Put bluntly, 2008 was just as bad for the PSP as it was for the Wii (Great stuff in the first half of the year, almost nothing for the latter half). 2009 is looking up for the PSP, as Sony was able to get plenty of big names signed on for the year. To announce that the PSP2 is releasing this year, effectively making the PSP obsolete technology, would do nothing but harm their relationship with those publishers and potentially affect game sales for the PSP. If anything, Sony will probably announce a PSP-4000 redesign at E3.[/quote]
I don't know I'm against making analogies between handhelds and consoles. I also don't see a console (neptune) that features the same features as far more powerful ones (nothing unique to it unlike the Wii) with less price difference between it and the more powerful ones than the Wii had at launch compared to 360 and PS3 and making the mistake of going with cartridges, would have been a good decision at that time to take on PS1 and N64.

I completely agree with your last paragraph. He was just giving me the vibe is all because I could see Nintendo possibly getting DSi out asap, as you said without games that really take advantage of it, in order to get it selling before a PSP2 releases. I only see a PSP2 this year if it is completely BC somehow, and the PSP software being made now being used to build hype and warm thoughts about the brand in general to build up to release. I realistically expect the 4000, and it being the biggest redesign to the PSP to date.

I picked one up -- the main problem for me is the loss of the GBA slot -- I still play GBA games, but on the other hand a lack of BC with older systems doesn't seem to hurt a new handheld or console for that matter...gamers tend to move on, one way or another.

Fyi, if you bought a dsi, check club nintendo - registering your dsi and filling out a survey will get you 160 coins! You may have to connect to the dsi shop and link to your club nintendo account before this appears, but I'm not sure. I didn't fill out the survey yet because I want to save the points for the next CN "year", but did register my DSi serial number.

got my dsi yesterday. It is a nice upgrade. The screens are nice and big. I like the new clicky buttons. The matte finish is much better than the glossy. Is it worth the price? Probably not unless there are some great dsiware that comes out.

I found a listing on Craigslist for a DSi owner with buyer's remorse, seeking a meager $140 for the system he bought on Sunday (4 days ago!)

Is it worth it? My DS Lite has 2 hinge cracks now and I'm worried it's going to break completely in the near future.

[quote name='johnnypark']I found a listing on Craigslist for a DSi owner with buyer's remorse, seeking a meager $140 for the system he bought on Sunday (4 days ago!)

Is it worth it? My DS Lite has 2 hinge cracks now and I'm worried it's going to break completely in the near future.[/quote]

I would say go for it,saves you like $30 I got some butt nugget in my area on CL selling one at a higher price then retail haha

Why not trade the DS Lite into gamestop instead and get $70-$20 = $50 off? It's cheaper. That is, I asked about trading in a DS Lite with a broken hinge and they told me that you can, they'd just charge you a $20 refurb fee (may not be called that). It actually makes the trade-in value something like $48.85 or some such amount. It's still cheaper then buying a used DSi from a stranger, although you don't then also have a DS Lite (with broken hinges.)

I'm really curious as to how different DSi only games will look as this is a GBP->GBC to me currently. But since I never had a Lite, it works for me. And I didn't mind upgrading my Pocket for a Color back then.

Loving it! Need to fix the light leakage issue though.

I picked one up since my DSLite bumpers are just about dead. I'll still keep it around, but I really do like the DSi. Just wish it didn't feel like it could scratch easily (I'll be grabbing a small Hori case) and my Touch Pens fit better on the back of the DSi (due to the raised R/L buttons).

I don't know if I would buy a used DSi.

My DSi has a very strange issue. The entire area around the power button seems to signal the system off. I can't even push down without triggering it 'off'. A simple touch powers it down. Returning the system today for a replacement.

Just picked mine up. Snazzy.

I highly suggest everyone do the following - get a piece of heavy duty clear packaging tape and put it on the bottom of your system over the barcode sticker. I do this for all my electronics. It makes sure that such things never get worn away or destroyed, and since serial numbers and the like are highly important for warranty issues, it's a good thing to do to safeguard your machine and yourself.

So, yeah. Do that. Sooner than later.

I also suggest you copy down the serial number in a text file or something to keep on hand. But then again, I'm OCD about such things. It's just a suggestion.

Wow - I need to read more of this thread. I really haven't been following the DSi specs too much so I had no idea it was more powerful than a regular DS. I picked up my preorder Sunday but haven't touched it yet. Maybe I'll check it out.

I did observe a little of the marketing dilemma Nintendo has with this system though while I was at Target the other day. Two soccer moms come in looking to buy a DS for a kid. They see the regular DS lite and the DSi's (of which Target still had scads left - no sellout on this one). They look at the different prices and conclude that the more expensive one comes with a game. But not being able to figure out what that game is, they buy a regular one and a separate DS game for the child.

Strell - interesting idea about the packing tape. While I wouldn't want to do that, maybe I can snag one of the circular stickers GS stores have (to seal their "new" games :lol:). I had one of those put on my Edge card and it has saved the number from rubbing off of that.

I just keep the serial #s written down. When I've had repairs done or needed to talk with CSR's about things under or not under warranty they've just asked for the #.

Played with the system a bit.

The menu seems - oddly - better designed and more stable than its Wii Channels counterpart. The music is more calm, soothing, and abstract. Little touches like downloading stuff from the shop being represented as presents to be opened is the sort of bizarre Nintendo charm you find in such things. The OS as a whole feels more sturdy. This could all just be initial Stockholm Syndrome talking, or dumb expectations. I just get the feeling that Nintendo is slowly, excruciatingly slowly getting better at that part of their game. Here's hoping we'll see better firmware updates as time goes on.

Initially I didn't see any data management options. After a system update, they showed up. You've got 1000 blocks to play with for internal memory. A 2GB card I put in gave me 9,999 blocks. I downloaded AQUIA, which took a surprising amount of time for the ~90 blocks it was, but I've got a terrible connection here so I don't sweat it too much. Plus, the little Super Mario Bros 2 character throwing "bubbles" into a box to represent the download progression was amusing.

Took probably thirty seconds or so to copy it back and forth from internal -> SD and vice versa. I was disappointed to see that you currently can't run stuff from the card like the Wii (unless I did something wrong). I hope that's just an update away from being fixed.

I noticed it finds hotspots MUCH faster than the DS or Wii. I tested it a dozen times in various locations and they'd pop up within a second. Unfortunately, actually getting a valid connection seemed a bit more difficult, but again - my location sucks for this kind of thing.

Like was mentioned before, you can exit Pictochat (which allows for 16 people, I thought it was 12 earlier) back into the DSi menu. But I couldn't find a way to do that out of AQUIA. There's a possibility I'm just stupid, so someone feel free to clarify that as such. The lack of a home button is kind of weird given the utility it amasses with the Wii.

Screens look nice. Rhythm Heaven is lots of fun. Browser is kind of slow and it gave me an "out of memory" error when trying to load Gmail unless I switched to the simple HTML style, which is disappointing. Would have been nice to see if Nintendo had thought to use something like ReadyBoost, where the SD card memory could be utilized like RAM (assuming it is fast enough).

Camera is about what I expected - no more or less blurry than my cell phone's. I kind of like the idea of photos being displayed randomly on the top screen. I took a picture of my My Neighbor Totoro plushes. Awww.

Stylus and screen feel sturdier than my DS Lite. I could be imagining this.

Overall it's a nice system. Nothing revolutionary. I'm a consumer whore so I disregard my opinion in terms of suggesting it to other people. Unless the DSiware becomes mind shatteringly good, I'd probably suggest to just get a Lite and save the cash.

I guess we'll see how it fares down the line.

[quote name='Strell']. Like was mentioned before, you can exit Pictochat (which allows for 16 people, I thought it was 12 earlier) back into the DSi menu. But I couldn't find a way to do that out of AQUIA. There's a possibility I'm just stupid, so someone feel free to clarify that as such. The lack of a home button is kind of weird given the utility it amasses with the Wii.
.[/QUOTE]

Tapping the Power button seems to serve as that "Home" button functionality. It resets the system, but it is a soft reset so you dont have to go through the warning screen again. However, unlike the Wii you arent given the Menu/Reset option.

Personally, I'm missing the Rumble Pak more than I thought I would... Having it for Clubhouse Games was surprisingly nice. I'm surprised it wasnt included, but given the concern over size, I probably shouldn't be.

Follow up post. Compare to Safari for the iPhoneand the iPod Touch. This version of the Opera browser is largely unimpressive.

I am making this post using the keboard and writing field. it waspassable.

Scratch my last statement about nothing happening with hybrid carts yet. First off is something lame from UbiSoft that was announced this week. Don't bother, I'm putting it in
My Healthy Cooking Coach will be a hybrid ("DSi Enhanced") cartridge. When placed in a DSi, you'll unlock 10 recipes and be able to take your picture for an ID profile. When asked why the 10 recipes could only be used with the DSi, Ubi responded :roll: "They're from Spanish and French cuisines." :roll:
tags.

The second one was actually something that was announced a few months back and slipped from my mind: DJ Max Technika. The big feature is that it will use the SD card for storage (Likely for songs), and they might use the camera somehow. Nothing else has been announced about it, including whether it's a DSi-exclusive cart, hybrid, or just DSiWare, though I personally doubt that it's going to be DSiWare, as they would likely need to store the program in memory and all of the songs on the SD card.

Finally, I remembered three more entries for my list o' speculation:
[hiddenlist]
Announced games that I think have the potential to become hybrids:
Dragon Quest IX - The sudden delay (5 months) is strangely long, even for the discovery a serious bug. One rumor that has been going around is that Level 5 may use the extra time add DSi extras. While I think the bug story is true, it is difficult to completely discount this unlikely possibility. DQIX looks to be pushing the DS' limit, and the extra power in the DSi could make it a suitable early hybrid cart.
Kingdom Hearts 368/2 Days - Another game that looks like it could benefit from the DSi's extra power, and we are still far enough away from release that they could reasonably add some hybrid features.
Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks - Same story as the others, and this could fit Nintendo's need for a flagship hybrid title, just like Link's Awakening DX for the GBC.

Pure speculation of future hybrids and/or exclusives:
Animal Crossing Wild World 2 (Hybrid) - Nintendo reps mentioned a capability perfect for an Animal Crossing title at GDC: Taking photos of things and converting them to textures.
New Super Mario Bros. 2/Nintendogs 2: Nintencats (Exclusive) - The predecessors of both are top-selling DS titles; their sequels would make the perfect flagship DSi-exclusive titles for Nintendo.
Metal Gear Ghost Babel 2 (Exclusive) - And keeping with Konami's US naming scheme for the first Ghost Babel for the GBC, they would name this Metal Gear Solid 4 in the US.
Final Fantasy V remake (Hybrid) - Give Matrix a chance to improve their engine with the DSi hardware.
Final Fantasy VI remake (Exclusive) - After trying it out with V, Matrix decides to push the DSi hardware to the limits with this entry. (I'm thinking similarly to how DQI&II for the GB was a hybrid cart, and DQIII was GBC exclusive)

Pokemon Gold and Silver remake (Hybrid) - Without the GBA slot, Diamond/Pearl/Platinum lost the ability to get older Pokemon from the R/S/E GBA series. The most effective way for Nintendo to handle this would be to develop remakes of the second generation (My personal favorite), Gold and Silver. Just like with Fire Red/Leaf Green, the remakes will be able to trade and battle with D/P/P. An even better trading option would be to use the SD card as a single-console trading point between the two series, eliminating the need for two DSes.[/hiddenlist]

[quote name='Cao Cao']

Final Fantasy VI remake (Exclusive) - After trying it out with V, Matrix decides to push the DSi hardware to the limits with this entry. (I'm thinking similarly to how DQI&II for the GB was a hybrid cart, and DQIII was GBC exclusive)

Pokemon Gold and Silver remake (Hybrid) - Without the GBA slot, Diamond/Pearl/Platinum lost the ability to get older Pokemon from the R/S/E GBA series. The most effective way for Nintendo to handle this would be to develop remakes of the second generation (My personal favorite), Gold and Silver. Just like with Fire Red/Leaf Green, the remakes will be able to trade and battle with D/P/P. An even better trading option would be to use the SD card as a single-console trading point between the two series, eliminating the need for two DSes.[/QUOTE]
I think Spirit Tracks having DSi functionality is pretty much guaranteed. FFVI looking 1 generation better than FFIV would be :drool: Pokemon G&S seems to be a reality, hopefully they use the SD card slot as the lack of single console trading kind of hurts the series, IMO. But it doesn't seem like something Nintendo would do. They'd say something about not wanting to take away from the community aspect
of trading with yourself.

[quote name='foltzie']Tapping the Power button seems to serve as that "Home" button functionality. It resets the system, but it is a soft reset so you dont have to go through the warning screen again. However, unlike the Wii you arent given the Menu/Reset option.
[/QUOTE]

Well that's ....passable.

You'd think they could have added in a home button though. Or you know what they SHOULD have done? Made a home button that doubles as a power button. Then when you hold the home button down, it shuts off the machine.

I'm brilliant.

Wait...

I cannot fix the light leakage!!!! :(
Other have said they fixed it by just squeezing the bezel to the left. I've tried and it doesn't seem to move at all.
I'll try a little harder, and then just live with it.[quote name='Strell']Just picked mine up. Snazzy.

I highly suggest everyone do the following - get a piece of heavy duty clear packaging tape and put it on the bottom of your system over the barcode sticker. I do this for all my electronics. It makes sure that such things never get worn away or destroyed, and since serial numbers and the like are highly important for warranty issues, it's a good thing to do to safeguard your machine and yourself.

So, yeah. Do that. Sooner than later.

I also suggest you copy down the serial number in a text file or something to keep on hand. But then again, I'm OCD about such things. It's just a suggestion.[/quote]Good tip on the tape, I'll do this when I get home.
I know that my Phat's sticker is pristine white.

I'd still like to see what nintendo and other developers do with this "new system?"/update that would warrant me buying a new DSI. My first gen DS has served me fine so far.

It seems I am having a lot of problem with the touch screen. I have to re calibrate it every few times

FYI, my DSi has the slightly yellow touch screen that appeared in later DS Lites. It doesn't bother me, but I suspect we'll start getting complaints soon.

What is bothering me a bit is that the A/B/X/Y buttons seems so stiff. After only a short amount of time my fingers start to hurt from use of them. Is anyone else's like that? I keep hoping they will loosen up, but so far they haven't. I guess they will eventually. The d-pad seems much better in that regard and the shoulder buttons are fine, although I don't use them as much so maybe I'm just not noticing it with those.

Even though I only have one DSiWare game (birds and beans), it makes it painfully clear that the way to go is entirely download games. Enough with cartridges. Fiddling with and carrying cartridges is a nuisance, whereas Birds & Beans is always there and is quick to launch. I just wish I had a ton more games to choose from, and much, much better games. All DSi games should be like this. In fact I've played with the camera more then I've played any cartridge-based games so far, in part for the same reason.

EDIT: this is the first Nintendo portable that I have purchased and then within a few days didn't mind letting my kids use it a lot. In fact my oldest's DS Lite has a cracked hinge and it needs to be repaired and I told him he could borrow the DSi during that time. I don't feel any substantial attachment to this thing, whereas my DS Lite I wouldn't let out of my cold, dead hands, and that even though I wasn't really playing it that much any more due to my iPod Touch. Now I find that I don't care much about the DS Lite nor the DSi. I suppose it's really the iPod Touch that has done in the DS for me, but having a DS that has downloads, but which are lame and look to remain lame, is what really put in the nail. Hopefully it's not the final nail.

EDIT2: and this is, from my perspective, a substantial chance for Sony if they should choose to take it. All they have to do is put out a next gen PSP that is entirely download based, as I think has been rumored, and they will have a market. They'll have a chance vs. the DSi and they'll have a chance versus the iPod touch/iPhone, given the lack of physical buttons on those. Mind you, I would miss the touchscreen and the cameras of the DSi - those are good features and make for some fun games (at least the touchscreen, and potentially the cameras). Hopefully Sony would be smart enough to add those features to it.

bread's done
Back