Nintendo E3 2009 - Mario times 2! NSMB2, SMG2, Metroid OM, Golden Sun DS, and more!

[quote name='onikage']How about Donkey Kong Country 4? I'd expect them to continue the series, probably on the DS, but to this point there's been no indication that it'll ever happen.[/QUOTE]

This. None of that "Swing" fuck-ass nonsense. DKC 4, with AMC graphics for good measure.

[quote name='Kaijufan']Well according to the last few Nintendo financial reports they have a Kirby Wii game in development, but it seems to be taking a very long time for some reason.[/QUOTE]

Probably just me, but I don't think Kirby Wii would be good. I didn't really care for Kirby 64. Like, it was ok, but not great.

I think it would be great to get a Mega Man 9-esque retro sidescrolling platformer though.

[quote name='onikage']How about Donkey Kong Country 4? I'd expect them to continue the series, probably on the DS, but to this point there's been no indication that it'll ever happen.[/QUOTE]

Rare is with Microsoft now and its known that Miyamoto was not a fan of the Rare Donkey Kong games.

[quote name='foltzie']Rare is with Microsoft now and its known that Miyamoto was not a fan of the Rare Donkey Kong games.[/QUOTE]

I remember reading that and finding it really odd. I always thought of DKC as an homage to SMB. The gameplay is very similar. What does he not like?

[quote name='theflicker']I remember reading that and finding it really odd. I always thought of DKC as an homage to SMB. The gameplay is very similar. What does he not like?[/QUOTE]

I remember when DKC1 first came out and I played the hell out of it for short time and never played the sequels. I recently tried to play DKC1 and got bored quick and a gave DKC2 a shot. I became annoyed after only 4 or 5 stages and I will probally never touch DCK2 again and I doubt I will ever give the third one a chance. The DKC games just haven't aged well unlike the Super Mario games. I can't pinpoint it but the gameplay is lacking something....

[quote name='theflicker']I remember reading that and finding it really odd. I always thought of DKC as an homage to SMB. The gameplay is very similar. What does he not like?[/QUOTE]

According to Wikipedia (prepare salt shaker), he was pressured to move Yoshi's Island graphics closer to DKC and he felt that DKC was popular only for its graphics and had mediocre gameplay. As a response he changed the graphics of Yoshi's Island to the well known crayon inspired ones.

I'll have to redact my previous statement, as the Paon company has been working on the recent DK games and has been using the DKC inspired graphics and characters and Nintendo themselves made DK-Jungle Beat. So there is a chance of a sidescrolling DKC-like game.

Even further, DK-Jungle Beat was just released in the New Play Control series, yowsa, I was off on this one.

[quote name='Nohbdy']The creator of Star Fox is wary of a new, "proper" game. He even commented how it unsettling it was of his fanbase (furries) to do certain things with the characters.

I'm serious.[/QUOTE]
:rofl: Source?

I've gotta admit, when whats-her-name said that 4 was a very important number for the next Mario game, I was sure they were going to announce Super Mario Bros 4.

So we have one guy who hates Donkey Kong country, another crazy guy might not want to mess up Star Fox (more than they already did? Is that possible?), and where the fuck is Kirby?

The only Donkey Kong sequel I see as a possibility is Donkey Kong Jungle Beat 2, I doubt Nintendo will continue the DKC series. I'm sure most of EAD Tokyo is working on Galaxy 2, though I suppose it's possible they have a smaller team working on another Jungle Beat.

So the vitality sensor didn't really sit well with me for a while. I think it's because the interface is so wonky; you have to clip the damn thing on your finger. It would be far superior if the sensor was built into the remote and it just sensed your heart rate as you played.

It seems as though all these peripherals are experiments from Nintendo and with Wii HD or whatever the next home system is called we're going to see the Wii remote perfected. It will definitely be that NES-SNES or N64-GCN type jump Nintendo is so famous for.

Ya know, as much as the Wii disappoints me..it really brings WAY too much potential for the next Wii. Of course, that is if they plan on taking the "Wii" approach again.

[quote name='cochesecochese']So the vitality sensor didn't really sit well with me for a while. I think it's because the interface is so wonky; you have to clip the damn thing on your finger. It would be far superior if the sensor was built into the remote and it just sensed your heart rate as you played.

It seems as though all these peripherals are experiments from Nintendo and with Wii HD or whatever the next home system is called we're going to see the Wii remote perfected. It will definitely be that NES-SNES or N64-GCN type jump Nintendo is so famous for.[/QUOTE]

I never actually saw the conference video for that. So, only working off the image stills, I'm not anticipating a whole lot for this peripheral. Seems like it should get bundled with Wii Fit Plus or the next iteration of EA Active.

Since it clips onto your finger, it really does get in the way of more traditional controls.

[quote name='Kaijufan']The only Donkey Kong sequel I see as a possibility is Donkey Kong Jungle Beat 2, I doubt Nintendo will continue the DKC series. I'm sure most of EAD Tokyo is working on Galaxy 2, though I suppose it's possible they have a smaller team working on another Jungle Beat.[/QUOTE]

I'm OK with another Jungle beat if they change the menu into a map instead of just lines of levels.

[quote name='theflicker']
Since it clips onto your finger, it really does get in the way of more traditional controls.[/QUOTE]
Exactly. It seems like something that should be built right into the remote. Maybe some kind of sensor built onto the remote's surface.

I can't believe you guys are taking about the vitality sensor seriously. It has to be one of the most bizarre announcements Nintendo has made to date. I suppose it wouldn't be Nintendo without one such annoucement. :)

Maybe I'm just missing the point, but I have my doubts. Fortunately there was plenty of good stuff to counter it.

I can't say I agree with everything they have done (not JUST at E3)..but most of the shit does make sense in the end. (Unless you're obsessed with your 360)

But the vitality sensor makes no sense. I mean even the "coolest" thing it might turn out to do, will probably still be really stupid.

If it's going to check heart rates and all..cool..but pack it into Wii Fit Plus and don't charge any extra. If that's all its for and it's really not going to cost more..then we can't complain (unless you're obsessed with your 360)

Found a little surprise while browsing on Nintendo's press site:

Wii_Zelda_e3.jpg

I guess this was the teaser image displayed during the round table?

[quote name='foltzie']He was that way in the last one due to using the Wiimote.[/QUOTE]

Yah, I know, and I said the same thing at that time too.

Unless this cryptic clue about "he has no sword" means he's using the shield as a weapon, in which case he could still be left handed.

Maybe he wields the Master Vitality Sensor, which was previously encased in a large stone at a retirement center for aging Hylians.

IGN: Have you thought about making a Wii game that uses two Wii remotes with MotionPlus?

Shigeru Miyamoto: I think if Wii Sports Resort sells really well, that's something we'd definitely like to think about. Like, table manners.

lol'd

and I think I have to add this: it is a lol as in, oh miyamoto you jokester you! and not, lol, wii sucks.

[quote name='lilboo']But the vitality sensor makes no sense. I mean even the "coolest" thing it might turn out to do, will probably still be really stupid.

If it's going to check heart rates and all..cool..but pack it into Wii Fit Plus and don't charge any extra. If that's all its for and it's really not going to cost more..then we can't complain (unless you're obsessed with your 360)[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the vitality sensor would be shown with some horror game (like maybe a new Fatal Frame or Eternal Darkness). Nintendo patented the sanity meter system used in Eternal Darkness, so perhaps this could be used with that game. Depending on your heart rate, the sanity effects get stranger and stranger, so you have to calm down to keep playing effectively. I don't get though how you can play while your finger is in that sort of device.

All of you imagining a Link with no sword, I don't think you have much to worry about. One of the selling points of the WM+ is that it makes sword wielding more realistic. I can't believe they'd pass up that opportunity to show it off. And I thought I read somewhere that they are even considering making Zelda Wii require the WM+. That seemed to indicate sword play to me.

I've never understood what the big deal about Link being right-handed is. It's a different Link in every game through generations. You would think at some point in the bloodline you have right and left handed Links.

[quote name='ananag112']I was thinking the vitality sensor would be shown with some horror game (like maybe a new Fatal Frame or Eternal Darkness). Nintendo patented the sanity meter system used in Eternal Darkness, so perhaps this could be used with that game. Depending on your heart rate, the sanity effects get stranger and stranger, so you have to calm down to keep playing effectively. I don't get though how you can play while your finger is in that sort of device.[/QUOTE]

I've been championing something similar over on DVDtalk. I like the way you think. My example was a zombie game where more zombies are thrown at you the higher your heart rate(or slows the action down to let you compose yourself, find health & ammo). Now imagine Left 4 Dead where it tracks everyone's heart rate and the zombies zero in on who has the highest heart rate and the remaining 3 are left to defend that one person. There are many possibilities, unfortunately people can't seem to expand their vision beyond WiiFit type usage.

Nintendo already released this device 10 years ago in Tetris64 and it worked great then. It, however, attached to your earlobe. I guess it was time to trot out more old tech and shove it in a white box to see how many gajillions they sell. :lol:

As for using this one with traditional controls, it could work if you can get the thing to stay on a pinky finger.

[quote name='Corvin']I've been championing something similar over on DVDtalk. I like the way you think. My example was a zombie game where more zombies are thrown at you the higher your heart rate(or slows the action down to let you compose yourself, find health & ammo). Now imagine Left 4 Dead where it tracks everyone's heart rate and the zombies zero in on who has the highest heart rate and the remaining 3 are left to defend that one person. There are many possibilities, unfortunately people can't seem to expand their vision beyond WiiFit type usage.[/QUOTE]

Depending on exactly what the Vitality thing measures, developer's could have some fun with it. In college I volunteered for some research that used a similar system for allowing locked-in people to use computers. I was told to think passionate, high adrenaline thoughts (sex, murder, that type of stuff) to move it one way, and cool, relaxing thoughts to move it another. Wasn't the most precise tool in the world, but I was able to play a much-slowed down version of Pong with it.

If it could measure individual hearbeats, then imagine a target-shooting game where the screen vibrates in tune with your heartbeat. In order to shoot the target accurately, you'd have to slow down your heart and take the shot in between beats, just as real rifle teams need to.

Also an idea I had would be options in a game like Mass Effect. So when talking to people, your dialogue options depend on what you are feeling. So if you are angry, you may have more options to slap or yell at people or if you are calm, you might forgive people or something.

Of course, Nintendo will likely first use it in a Wii casual game like perhaps Wii Relaxing where the goal is to stay relaxed and calm.

I think the idea of the vitality sensor is good if used properly. I don't like that you need to put a finger in the device for it to sense your body's data however, but I can see why that is done in order to get better reliability and to keep the costs down. In the future however when it becomes cheap, a laser vibrometer or some other means of obtaining this data wirelessly should be used and I think that is when this type of thing will have an impact.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Wii Relaxing
:cry: It's funny because it's POTENTIALLY true!!

I do not have any good opinion on this sensor. I mean, I'll wait for more details about it..but I just can't imagine this being that useful. At. All.

Aww I wanted a Kirby game for the Wii to be announced.

That Metroid game makes me want to replay all the metroid games I have. I am definitely buying Metroid Prime trilogy when it comes out because I only played the first one.

I'm excited.

[quote name='Strell']Yah, I know, and I said the same thing at that time too.

Unless this cryptic clue about "he has no sword" means he's using the shield as a weapon, in which case he could still be left handed.[/QUOTE]

Well, it almost looks like the area around that hand of Link's is burning red, almost like its loud roar is telling Link to grasp victory.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that after training in a dojo, maybe after getting into a few brawls, Link learned the ultimate attack from the master, something far superior to any flimsy piece of metal. Those red flames in front of Link and his sword-less hand can only mean that he has learned one thing...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzkrk6nnY48

Or it's like, his sword is the sword of his soul or something.

Well, I'm sure most of you saw the E3 trailer for Sin and Punishment 2:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5921688&postcount=529

It was playable on the show floor too, so some previews popped up. In the demo level that they played, you fight through hordes of monsters until you reach a mid-boss that is in the trailer. This particular boss looks like a Giant Chicken, who attacks by throwing smaller chickens and lasers all over the place. And just what was the name of this formidable foe? The Cock Keeper.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/04/hands-on-sin-and-punishment-2/
http://wii.ign.com/articles/989/989923p1.html
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3174574&p=44
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/impressionsArt.cfm?artid=18679

Last edited by a moderator:
Level wise, this is already looking better than New Super Mario Bros. DS, but I was hoping they would do away with that atrocious theme. The music is really one of New Super Mario Bros. weak points...

See, I kind of like it. But that's just me.
Though, it could be because it's an early build..but..the music playing in the castle is kind of weird. :whistle2:s

It's probably just music that's playing at the booth, not in the game, because you can't hear any sound effects from that specific kiosk.

The new music and the beats that caused monsters to move was an impressive addition, that Nintendo gets too few kudos for including.

[quote name='foltzie']The new music and the beats that caused monsters to move was an impressive addition, that Nintendo gets too few kudos for including.[/QUOTE]

That's been there since the DS version.

[quote name='Nohbdy']That's been there since the DS version.[/QUOTE]

I was referring to the DS version.

Furthermore, I could be wrong, but I'm not aware of another game using music cues to change or dictate the actions of other characters. Was New Super Mario Bros really the first?

bread's done
Back