Nintendo E3 2010 Press Conference - 3DS, Kid Icarus, Zelda, DKC, Kirby!

[quote name='dothog']You left out Mother.

Keep an eye out new Mother. Any day now.[/QUOTE]

Don't hold your breath. Itoi has stated repeatedly that he's done with the series.

There's been a little bit of talk about a possible re-release of the trilogy all on one cart for the DS/3DS though. We're at the forefront of a huge Mother merch push overseas right now (the first wave of plush dolls just dropped, figures coming later) so it would be logical that it would lead to...something since it's been years since the last entry in the franchise.

[quote name='Droenixjpn']Since I don't own a Motion+, I'm guess you can't attach that to the Wiimote, then attach the Nunchcuk to the Motion+, right?[/QUOTE]
You can do this. It would suck to only be able to use either the WM+ or the Nunchuk.

[quote name='dothog']You left out Mother.

Keep an eye out new Mother. Any day now.[/QUOTE]

This is a post of someone who has no clue about the backstory of the series. It is never going to happen. Ever. At least not under Itoi. Maybe a remake or compilation at best.

Someone GAF posted that Nintendo basically said in an email that Xenoblade is coming to North America, they just didn't show it at E3. Last Story hasn't been announced for America but it was said that just because they didn't show it at E3 doesn't mean it isn't coming. I'm inclined to believe this. Nintendo of America would have to be fucking fools not to localize those two at the very least.

Wait...

[quote name='Dead of Knight']This is a post of someone who has no clue about the backstory of the series. [/QUOTE]

Being that this is dothog posting it - someone I know very well - I'd stop and think about making comments about being clueless. Just a thought.

As to dothog proper: Foltzie seemed to be implying that only certain obscure franchises were now currently being ignored by Nintendo. F-Zero is the biggest one right now that still doesn't have anything new being announced. To be fair, the series has had many iterations, some of which are just in Japan (64DD title, a GBA title). But it does seem pretty dead as a proper Nintendo franchise. Since Foltzie had suggested Mother already, I left it out.

Anyway, Nintendo is pretty much hitting all bases when it comes to keeping their franchises aloft. Counting down from the Gamecube/DS, basically everything has been developed further.

I'd kill for Luigi's Mansion 2 and Mario Sunshine 2. I'm fairly alone in that but those games are HUGELY underrated.

I like cochese's point about Mother merch showing up. I think waves of that stuff shows up periodically shows up. Itoi is like...making t-shirts and going on TV shows or something these days.

Oh, man. I may need to get one of those new Mr. Saturn plushes. Are there any plushes other than that and Belch? That's all I'm seeing.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Oh, man. I may need to get one of those new Mr. Saturn plushes. Are there any plushes other than that and Belch? That's all I'm seeing.[/QUOTE]

I think that's it. Everyone seemed to wonder why Belch was chosen over other characters and monsters.

I want a Happy Happyist. Or an Unassuming Local Guy.

[quote name='paddlefoot']New Mother? I would be happy with Earthbound getting a VC release.[/QUOTE]

I know what you're saying. I'll leap to download it the day it arrives on VC.

Note to MS - this is how you target your hardcore user base well and shows how you failed so hard in that respect.

Note to Sony - this is how you present your content successfully and shows how you failed hardcore there.

I was a bit surprised Nintendo revealed their full deck of cards, many 2011 titles. I don't expect much revealed next year for Wii & maybe not 3DS either.

Zelda- meh more of the same.
Mario Sports Mix - Looks like a lot of fun.
Wii Party- No thank you.
Just Dance 2- someone shoot me.
Golden Sun- looks pretty good, hope it has more depth than the first two.
GoldenEye - YES! This looks perfect. Damn you Activision for making me give you money again.
Epic Mickey - Awesome now just port it to the other consoles in HD.
Kirby - It better be Wiiware.
DQ 9 - Still undecided, earlier entries were a bit too simplistic.
Metroid- Been waiting for a blend of 2d and 3d in this way for decades. I hope they come through.
DKC- Not looking so great because it should look twice as good as that and have much better game play. I expected more out of Retro.

Iwata trying to act like Steve Jobs lol. I almost don't see the point of the bottom screen and the touch controls for 3d games. The game will likely only be played on the top screen if it's 3d. Get rid of the bottom screen and reduce the price. I guess they want BC too. They'll probably come out with a 3DS+ that has both screens in 3d eventually.

3D movies on DS sounds great, I hope I can also watch them on tv though. It's funny all this 3d experience on DS is going to make consumers gravitate towards 3d on tv and consoles in the years to come. Maybe Wii3HD is coming in 1-3 years.

Kid Icarus- nice to see something new but no thanks, people were grasping at straws when they asked for this NES game to get a sequel. Looks like it was originally meant to be for Wii. Looks kiddy, at least the graphics are good for 3DS.

Overall a great showing for their hardcore user base, okay showing for the rest of us. Still looking for more beyond sequels to their old franchises and Kid Icarus is not it.

It looks like Nintendo may really be stepping their game up due to the success of the Ipod & it's many games. Tons of 3DS titles announced and quite a bit of remakes, showing that they feel they need quantity not just quality.

I give their presentation an A, Sony a B+, & MS a C-.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Someone GAF posted that Nintendo basically said in an email that Xenoblade is coming to North America, they just didn't show it at E3. Last Story hasn't been announced for America but it was said that just because they didn't show it at E3 doesn't mean it isn't coming. I'm inclined to believe this. Nintendo of America would have to be fucking fools not to localize those two at the very least.[/QUOTE]
As much as I want to play these games, I can't agree with this. Sales'll be low, and I'm kind of surprised they're releasing Xenoblade, considering they're ignoring Soma Bringer and Disaster: DoC.

I'd love a Luigi's Mansion 2 as well. Sadly, I don't believe Nintendo will make a direct sequel anytime soon...

However, I believe everyone's wallet is going to be hurting this fall and winter.

[quote name='Droenixjpn']I'd love a Luigi's Mansion 2 as well. Sadly, I don't believe Nintendo will make a direct sequel anytime soon...[/QUOTE]

I so need to play that game...

[quote name='Dead of Knight']This is a post of someone who has no clue about the backstory of the series.[/QUOTE]
You have wounded me, sir. Have at thee!

If Nintendo had no intentions of continuing Mother, why wouldn't they issue a firm statement? I think their silence speaks volumes: they've got something in the works, and when it comes along it's gonna be HUUUGE.

(Mother 3, closer to its original N64 format, updated for the 3DS.)

(You didn't hear it from me.)

(Keep it on the hush hush.)

(Really, you didn't hear it from me.)

(And I didn't hear it from Zeiganstrell first.)

[quote name='soonersfan60']I'm surprised that wasn't one of the New Play Control releases... Would have been better than Donkey Kong without the bongos.[/QUOTE]

Let's just be glad that they appear to not be planning to release any more "New Play Control" games. That's a series that should have been axed before it ever got started. What a mistake. We want Luigi's Mansion 2, not Luigi's Mansion with updated controls.

God, if only this were in the works:

7020-47409-Mother33Djpg-550x.jpg

[quote name='crunchewy']We want Luigi's Mansion 2, not Luigi's Mansion with updated controls.[/QUOTE]

Why can't it be both? I want both.

While we're on the subject, you know what I REALLY want? Megaman Legends 1+2 Wiimote enabled. Oh, and Megaman Legends 3.

Luigi's Mansion 2, Mario Sunshine 2, Megaman Legends 3. My trifecta of hugely-underrated-series-most-wanted-sequel games.

Aww yeah. Awesome list right there Strell. Megaman Legends series was amazing. Mario Sunshine was my shining star, and Luigi's Mansion was definitely not full of... boos.

[quote name='Strell']God, if only this were in the works:[/QUOTE]
Stop it.

I've pretty much come to terms with the whole 'no new Mother' thing and have just turned to collecting merch instead. Don't get me all worked up for nothing.

I would love a Luigi's Mansion 2 and Sunshine 2. I love both of those games. They are the cream of the crop on the GC.

Eternal Darkness 2 and Pikmin 3 (yes... in development) would also be very welcomed.

I always love how Nintendo focuses on games without being intimidated by "where's the DVD player" comments. Games like DKC and Kirby stood out for me, but the highlight of the entire presentation IMO was the passion they had for the games themselves. They're constantly talking about how games are for everyone and it really showed - from Myamoto playing Zelda, Reggie smiling after some of the announcements (not some fake semi grin) to actually letting people try the games up close in the theater. Throughout the whole show, it was like they were saying "Sit back and relax. Comfortable yet? Now check this out."

I'm very interested in the 3DS (3D without glasses? Yes, please). This may be the first console I buy at launch since .... ever.

[quote name='Cage017']I always love how Nintendo focuses on games without being intimidated by "where's the DVD player" comments. Games like DKC and Kirby stood out for me, but the highlight of the entire presentation IMO was the passion they had for the games themselves.[/QUOTE]
Which is why the 3DS plays 3D movies?

[quote name='Strell']Why can't it be both? I want both.[/QUOTE]

My presumption is, and perhaps it's wrong, that any time spent on porting an old game to the Wii with updated controls, is time not spent on the sequel we haven't played yet. If, in fact, they can push a button and pop out a New Play Control title in 30 minutes or less I'd be all for it. Otherwise I'd rather they spent the time on a sequel. Maybe we'd have Pikmin 3 this year if they hadn't spent their time pushing out Pikmin 1 & 2 (the latter on in Japan, I believe).

Well, broadly speaking, if you dial back the magnification, working on any title prevents working on any other title. Further, if it's just a question of making sure the controls work well and maybe doing some other grunt work like cleaning up a texture or shadow or something, then you could offload that to a junior-junior-junior development team. There's no reason Miyamoto, for example, would be working on a Luigi's Mansion NPC. They'd use up new hirees and give them a second string director/producer to make sure it was all working.

Point being is that you can't assume the Pikmin team proper at Nintendo is the same as the NPC guys, hence no reason why both couldn't be en route.

[quote name='Cage017']I always love how Nintendo focuses on games without being intimidated by "where's the DVD player" comments. Games like DKC and Kirby stood out for me, but the highlight of the entire presentation IMO was the passion they had for the games themselves. They're constantly talking about how games are for everyone and it really showed - from Myamoto playing Zelda, Reggie smiling after some of the announcements (not some fake semi grin) to actually letting people try the games up close in the theater. Throughout the whole show, it was like they were saying "Sit back and relax. Comfortable yet? Now check this out."

I'm very interested in the 3DS (3D without glasses? Yes, please). This may be the first console I buy at launch since .... ever.[/QUOTE]

I agree on this completely. They had a lot of energy during this one, unlike previous years. I don't know what it was, but it was there. It also flowed extremely well.

Nintendo has people that are very comfortable in front of a crowd. Some of them may not speak the best English, but it was never awkward.

How many awkward moments came out of the other two? The chick showing off the Kinect camera, Peter Dille... I think these companies underestimate just how important it is to have someone comfortable, and with a presence, up there. Now that E3 is a huge multimedia thing that gets broadcast all over the world, it's doubly important.

[quote name='pete5883']Which is why the 3DS plays 3D movies?[/QUOTE]

I get the feeling it will only play certain movies and not everything, just like when Nintendo had those cartoon episode cartridges for the Advance.

Much as many of us consider Nintendo to have blown away the others at E3, especially Microsoft... going on the sales numbers at Amazon, it wouldn't seem to have mattered. Kinect is doing pretty impressive pre-order sales and it's not even coming out until November. And the new 360 isn't doing so bad either, somewhat goofy look and all. Moreover, Kinect Sports is at #43 with the next announced at E3 game being Zelda, way down at #73 or something. I suppose if pre-orders were up for the 3DS, though, it might look different.

Still, who did win this E3? It doesn't seem so clear to me now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestseller..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0YKXWKMJ1AD9MK9DE1PQ

EDIT: correction, there are other announced at E3 games higher up
on the list then Kinect sports and others higher then Zelda, but Zeda is the highest Nintendo game that was announced at E3.

Ah, but if you go by "Movers and Shakers", Skyward Sword is the highest of the E3 related products. And of course, this is all super scientific.

I dunno, I can't put much stock in Amazon pre-sell information and, like you said, I think the 3DS would be cleaning up if they were taking preorders.

You're talking pre-orders of games without a definite release date. Zelda is 2011, while Kinect has a street date of Nov. 4. Plus, Nintendo games are less about front-loaded sales and more about consistency. It won't set one-day sales records like MW2, but a year from now it'll still chart in the top 10 or 20 of sales.

Finally, the audience that buys Nintendo games will usually get them on day 1 or later; they're not big on pre-orders.

I also think that many of the Kinect preorders are of a speculative nature. "I'll put in a preorder that costs me nothing in case this turns out to be really successful so I can either A) avoid having to pay holiday scalper prices or B) can charge holiday scalper prices." In many ways, Kinect should absolutely be outselling "just another entry" in a very old franchise that's due a year from now.

The interesting thing to note, I guess, is how Kinect performs compared to PS Move.

[quote name='Cage017']I get the feeling it will only play certain movies and not everything, just like when Nintendo had those cartoon episode cartridges for the Advance.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I can see Nintendo offering cartoon movies (Disney/Pixar) releases rather than, say, Avatar in 3D. Personally, I sincerely doubt I would buy any movies on 3DS, unless I found one in a bargain bin. If I want to watch a movie, I'd rather watch on my tv at home. Ever since UMD, I never liked the idea of multiple movie formats.

[quote name='theflicker']I dunno, I can't put much stock in Amazon pre-sell information and, like you said, I think the 3DS would be cleaning up if they were taking preorders.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I'll likely preorder at GameStop, unless Amazon has some sort of guaranteed release day delivery. Otherwise, I'll preorder at GameStop to be able to walk in and out with a 3DS on launch day.

Knowing Nintendo, 3DS is going to come out on a Sunday in the US. Just like DS, just like Wii, just like DS lite, just like the DSi, and just like the DSiXL.

Oh, and here's how I see it shaping up:
Japan gets 3DS fall of 2010 alongside Pokemon Black/White
NA/EU gets 3DS spring of 2011 alongside Pokemon Black/White (US gets it Day/Date)

THAT is how you sell a product. Launch your biggest cash cow at the moment with your newest hardware. Okay sure it isn't a 3DS game but it'll play on 3DS. Plus they'll have Kid Icarus to back up on.

[quote name='Cage017']They're constantly talking about how games are for everyone and it really showed - from Myamoto playing Zelda, Reggie smiling after some of the announcements (not some fake semi grin) to actually letting people try the games up close in the theater. .[/QUOTE]
Reggie smiles when he knows it is something that will be making him loot. He ain't smiling for the games or for the consumer, he's smiling for his checkbook like 99% of executives.

bread's done
Back