Nintendo eShop Deals and Discussions

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads (and continues to on this thread!)

Feel free to post here about the newest Nintendo eShop deals, My Nintendo rewards and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Nintendo Sales and Deals page

Last edited:
The new model is a big improvement and it's selling better than ever. No way they're dropping the price. In fact I'd like to thank Nintendo for only raising it $50 when they could have gotten away with raising it by at least $100 and still sold out. I own every single Switch model out (OG, V2, Lite, and AC) and will be pre-ordering this as soon as it goes live. The Ethernet port and new screen make it a bargain to me. If you're not interested in that then I can see why you're interested but I'll pay any price just to have non laggy Splatoon 2 matches and a much better display.
And this is why Nintendo gets away with it, this line of thinking

The new model is a big improvement and it's selling better than ever. No way they're dropping the price. In fact I'd like to thank Nintendo for only raising it $50 when they could have gotten away with raising it by at least $100 and still sold out. I own every single Switch model out (OG, V2, Lite, and AC) and will be pre-ordering this as soon as it goes live. The Ethernet port and new screen make it a bargain to me. If you're not interested in that then I can see why you're interested but I'll pay any price just to have non laggy Splatoon 2 matches and a much better display.
Yeesh. That's hard to read. More like Sheep Ass Gamer.

Market demand is going to dictate the price not the individual components but the whole package. It’s why apple can charge extra for a product that’s inferior on paper but offers a better user experience. Same with Nintendo, there’s nothing out there that comes close to matching the Switch experience in the handheld market.

Market demand is going to dictate the price not the individual components but the whole package. It’s why apple can charge extra for a product that’s inferior on paper but offers a better user experience. Same with Nintendo, there’s nothing out there that comes close to matching the Switch experience in the handheld market.
Apple is an apt comparison but not for the reason you said. Apple gets away with their bullshit because of the "prestige" of their brand, and Nintendo has been doing the same.
Imagine thinking that Ethernet (which has been possible through a dongle for years), double the memory, a slightly bigger OLED screen, a better stand and kinda better speakers was worth an extra $100 :rofl:

Apple is an apt comparison but not for the reason you said. Apple gets away with their bullshit because of the "prestige" of their brand, and Nintendo has been doing the same.
Imagine thinking that Ethernet (which has been possible through a dongle for years), double the memory, a slightly bigger OLED screen, a better stand and kinda better speakers was worth an extra $100 :rofl:
The Switch is $300. The new OLED model is $350. Unless my math is really off, how is that $100 more?

are parts still not scarce since the pandemic? Weren't the Switch systems along with other electronics hard to come by a year ago? on top of that the supply chain labor force either costs more or is under staffed. We're lucky the price hasn't increased like everything else.

All the complaining I've seen across the internet, it's still gonna sell out in seconds and be hard to find. Seeing a lot of "oh my current switch has a scratch anyways, so perfect time to just get this and give my old one to my grandpa" tho

The Switch is $300. The new OLED model is $350. Unless my math is really off, how is that $100 more?
They are referring to this comment a user made where they said Nintendo could have gotten away with charging $100 more.

I don't see the problem and don't understand why some people are complaining about it being not an improvement. If they upgraded it too much it would split the user base up and you would have some games that work on the new model and some that don't so I'm thankful Nintendo didn't go that route. Try playing Cyberpunk on an old Xbox One or PS4 and see how that works. Remember when the New 3DS came out and only certain games like Xenoblade only worked on that? Nintendo is smart enough not to alienate people that way so they upgraded it enough but not too much where people get confused and some games have bad performance on the old models. In that sense Nintendo is actually smarter than the competition... and their sales figures will prove you wrong if you disagree.

I agreed with a lot of things until this post. This just reads like "daddy Nintendo, please whip me some more."

They are referring to this comment a user made where they said Nintendo could have gotten away with charging $100 more.
Correct, glad somebody was paying attention. :bouncy:
I personally would pay $50 to magically upgrade my current Switch to this model (dock included), so I guess it's worth $50 in that respect but like most of you, I also think the OG Switch should have had a price drop by now anyway.
But paying $400 for this thing when I could get a XSX or PS5 for only $100 more? Pure insanity.

Last edited by a moderator:
But paying $400 for this thing when I could get a XSX or PS5 for only $100 more? Pure insanity.
Lol, you can't get an XSX or PS5... there's no supply. I was considering buying one for the BC alone (as there's nothing PS5 I care about)... but until they are widely available, it's vaporware to me. I'll revisit the idea summer next year.

Nintendo is playing this smart. Their entire business is focused on one platform. They could see what was going on with component suppliers and they pivoted to tech that was available and wasn't selling well. Yes that tech required them to raise their price to cover the difference... but the alternative was to go the PS5/XSX path and just stop having systems available.

Personally, I'm glad they took this route. My switch and switch lite are still relevant machines and will run all the switch games in development just as well as this new sku.

I would need to see a detailed manufacturing cost breakdown to believe this statement isn’t ludicrous.
It's obvious you haven't worked with anything being manufactured in the last year. At work, we lucked out ordering kits late 2019, because nothing was available, or prices went way up for whatever was purchasable. You should know from PC hardware.

It's obvious you haven't worked with anything being manufactured in the last year. At work, we lucked out ordering kits late 2019, because nothing was available, or prices went way up for whatever was purchasable. You should know from PC hardware.
I haven’t bought any tech since late 2019, either, all I’m aware of is the GPU shortage. Are you saying every electronic component is suffering the same supply issues?

I haven’t bought any tech since late 2019, either, all I’m aware of is the GPU shortage. Are you saying every electronic component is suffering the same supply issues?
Chips/FPGAs, even resistors and capacitors. So yes. For months, even getting SMT resistors/capacitors were 2-4x the cost, when they're in stock. Getting custom coils was literally impossible, because no one was making them. I don't know how it is now first hand, but will probably know in a couple of months.

Business 101 for those of you who think the world runs on dunkin donuts:

It doesn't matter if it costs $1 to make or $100000 to make. People will buy it at the prices that they want it for.

Any other thought is naive.

Your personal opinions don’t matter. The marketplace matters.

I also think the OG Switch should have had a price drop by now anyway.
Sweet Jesus I’m glad none of you are running my business.

“Listen boss. We can’t keep these in stock. They sell out instantly as soon as we put them on the shelves. What should we do next”

“Slash the price!!!!”

Business 101 for those of you who think the world runs on dunkin donuts:

It doesn't matter if it costs $1 to make or $100000 to make. People will buy it at the prices that they want it for.

Any other thought is naive.

Your personal opinions don’t matter. The marketplace matters.
I occasionally buy classic gaming stuff on ebay. Some of the prices there seem insane to me, but some people are willing to pay those kind of prices for nostalgia I suppose. It's all part of the free market.

I am sure Nintendo is having some manufacturing efficiencies that are reducing the overall cost of production, but it does not make sense to reduce the price if it is still selling well.

I saw the promo for the new Switch and I kind of want one. I like the slightly bigger screen and the added ethernet port to the dock. I don't think 350 is totally unreasonable for the minor enhancements.

“Listen boss. We can’t keep these in stock. They sell out instantly as soon as we put them on the shelves. What should we do next”

“Slash the price!!!!”
But just imagine how much more than “all of them” they’d be able to sell!!!

Looks pretty cool. I might pick it up later today and let you know what I think of it.
I played it a little. It's ok. Nothing special. It looks like you unlock abilities the more you play so it cou;d get more interesting after playing for a while. Not bad for the sale price I suppose.

“Slash the price!!!!”
What does it take to win your business today?

Mm-hmm. Mm-hmm.

Okay, I'll give you that and a 50% discount.

Can we close the deal today?

Can I place your order today?

Great, thanks. We appreciate your business.

Whoo-hoo!

Hey, what's with all the noise?

Caught the big fish.

Yeah? How big was the sale?

$1 million.

Awesome, man. Biggest sale of my career.

I'm proud of you.

[excerpt from Birdemic: Shock and Terror]

Not an eshop deal but in case anyone is looking for a deal on SMT: V, check your target circles offers for a 30% off videogame coupon (YMMV). Currently works on the preorder steelbook edition on Target website. 

For eshop deals I just make it a habit now of checking every day or every couple days deku deals for recent price drops and I scroll back however many hours/days it has been since I last checked.  It works out well.  Plus they have reviews and the basic info from the eshop listing along with a link to it.

Here's everything digital:

https://www.dekudeals.com/recent-drops?sort=recent_drop&filter[format]=digital

Here's everything physical:

https://www.dekudeals.com/recent-drops?filter[format]=physical&sort=recent_drop

Are you saying every electronic component is suffering the same supply issues?
Supply issues at the moment aren't just limited to electronics. Shoe companies are having trouble getting certain high end race shoes out to customers, I know a few companies have had to delay their marathon super shoe to most markets and the ones that are out there were sent to big review sites and athletes. My dentist is having issues getting things supplies that they needs as well due to manufacturing issues.

There are also other costs associated with manufacturing beyond the actual parts and the current market shortages.  Shipping costs have gone up over the past year and are not relenting.  The actual cost to develop the OLED switch wasn't free.  The os had to be modified to account for the different specs.  The motherboard modified to take on the new display and run it as well as the change to the sound and storage had to be accounted for in manufacturing the main board.  It's possible there are other minor changes that had to be engineered and tested.   A $50 increase might seem like a pretty big jump.. but given the low margins of the regular Switch and Switch lite... it's possible that any headway they made towards having a price drop were eaten up by the increased costs due to 2020.

Hopefully things can start to stabilize before the end of the year.

Mm-hmm. Mm-hmm.
Whoo-hoo!
Caught the big fish.
$1 million.
I'm proud of you.

Solrpanls

I just beat Breath of the Wild. Watching trailers for Skyward Sword -- it just looks too fuzzy and dated. But then, I have a hard time going backwards on games. 

Mm-hmm. Mm-hmm.

Whoo-hoo!

Caught the big fish.

$1 million.

I'm proud of you.

Solrpanls
RIP Becky

bread's done
Back