Nintendo eShop Deals and Discussions

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads (and continues to on this thread!)

Feel free to post here about the newest Nintendo eShop deals, My Nintendo rewards and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Nintendo Sales and Deals page

Last edited:
You don't love going backwards on games? I'm sure you will love Skyward Sword then. ;P /sarcasm
I tried to play Ocarina of Time on 3DS not too long ago. It was a bit painful. Haven't started Majora's Mask because I'm sure I won't like it. I liked Twilight Princess, in my defense...if that's any defense.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1415672520812859396?s=19

Might try to get a preorder at Best Buy for pickup to replace my beat up launch Switch and its terrible battery.

Watch... they may have made so many Skyward sword joycons, they will be on clearance next to the Fortnite ones by October!  :hot:

Well, hopefully anyways. Supposedly most stores will have a few pairs on hand. 

I guess the OLED Switch mystery is solved.
Nintendo wanted a new SKU out to take sales away from the Steam Deck and this half-baked shit was the best they could do on short notice since the Pro isn't ready yet. It's also in Nvidia's (whose tech is in the Switch) interest too as their competitor, AMD, powers the Steam Deck.
Makes total sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess the OLED Switch mystery is solved.
Nintendo wanted a new SKU out to take sales away from the Steam Deck and this half-baked shit was the best they could do on short notice since the Pro isn't ready yet. It's also in Nvidia's (whose tech is in the Switch) interest too as their competitor, AMD, powers the Steam Deck.
Makes total sense.
People buy Nintendo for Nintendo games. Not a direct competitor.

https://www.steamdeck.com/en/tech

More powerful, dock sold separately. Is more expensive obviously but I am curious how this sells and how many people will buy one over a Switch.
switch sells off name at this point. If that was called the Nintendo steam deck it would sell like crazy. I'm hoping pc players at least support this strongly. not expecting this to sell close to any console, but hoping it does well enough. me personally, I will get rid of my switch if this doesn't have any issues.( Well I might trade it for a switch lite 🤔)

Steam Deck seems interesting.  My oldest son and I were talking about it and the base $400 model (no dock and 64gb storage same as OLED Switch).  He was talking it up and I had to remind him how big PC games are.  I had him look at the install size of one of the Phantasy Star Online games he plays... it's 80gb.  So... you'd have to play it using a more powerful pc on the side and cloud game, buy a large micro sd card on day 1,  or buy the bigger storage version... if it will even play it.

Seems kind of pointless if you have to have a separate beefy computer.  Also seems pointless for playing indies as most play perfectly fine on the Switch and it'll be a while before this device is completely compatible with everything.

As far as being a switch competitor, I doubt we see a blip in the switch sales.  People love Nintendo games and the next Zelda will be on switch along with the other exclusives.  I'm all for more options out there though.

Steam Deck seems interesting. My oldest son and I were talking about it and the base $400 model (no dock and 64gb storage same as OLED Switch). He was talking it up and I had to remind him how big PC games are. I had him look at the install size of one of the Phantasy Star Online games he plays... it's 80gb. So... you'd have to play it using a more powerful pc on the side and cloud game, buy a large micro sd card on day 1, or buy the bigger storage version... if it will even play it.

Seems kind of pointless if you have to have a separate beefy computer. Also seems pointless for playing indies as most play perfectly fine on the Switch and it'll be a while before this device is completely compatible with everything.

As far as being a switch competitor, I doubt we see a blip in the switch sales. People love Nintendo games and the next Zelda will be on switch along with the other exclusives. I'm all for more options out there though.
Can you stop making valid points? I just want to see these two idiots who aren't hating on Nintendo complain about how much Nintendo sucks and how much better the PS VIta was in the Nintendo thread. That sort of pointless threadcrapping butters my biscuits, not your consistently well-argued counterpoints.

Steam Deck has no chance unless games are optimized in file size, text size, and performance for the device. When will that happen? Only if it sells well. Easy pass.

--

Now that Skyward Sword is out, bring on the Zelda 3D All Stars, please.

I think that the least you can get away with on the steam deck is the $529 version, unless you want to constantly delete games, ect.

I think that the least you can get away with on the steam deck is the $529 version, unless you want to constantly delete games, ect.
all versions have expandable microsd storage. 128/256mb pci-e drives cost nowhere near what they're asking in upcharge. easy decision for the base model for me.

Plus emmc is considerably slower than nvme
it is considerably slower, but not considerably slower than a standard sata SSD, IF they havent cheaped out and actually went with the latest spec emmc, that can hit usually 400 MB/s +/- 100 for reads which is very close to sata SSD. Writes are still slower no matter what but within the realm of sata spinning disks.

So it really comes down to which emmc they went with and if they didnt cheap out to get an old and slow one

So... you'd have to play it using a more powerful pc on the side and cloud game, buy a large micro sd card on day 1, or buy the bigger storage version...
You just described the Switch's own storage capabilities. Cloud games... Check. Micro sd card day 1... Check. [More expensive] bigger storage version... Check.

Also seems pointless for playing indies as most play perfectly fine on the Switch and it'll be a while before this device is completely compatible with everything.

As far as being a switch competitor, I doubt we see a blip in the switch sales. People love Nintendo games and the next Zelda will be on switch along with the other exclusives. I'm all for more options out there though.
I mean, of course they're games with big installs. But steam literally has a bigger Library than the switch does and it'll run those indie games + more better.

Steam Deck has no chance unless games are optimized in file size, text size, and performance for the device. When will that happen? Only if it sells well. Easy pass.

--

Now that Skyward Sword is out, bring on the Zelda 3D All Stars, please.
I dont think thats a problem most PC games can be set to 720p with little to no issues. I do agree on file size however.

I mean, of course they're games with big installs. But steam literally has a bigger Library than the switch does and it'll run those indie games + more better.
Not to mean the games are cheaper on Steam than on any console platform.

Hell, I already have at least 1100 games in my Steam library, so I'd be set if I bought one.

I dont think thats a problem most PC games can be set to 720p with little to no issues. I do agree on file size however.
Just because it can be set to 720p and be readable on your average player's 24" monitor doesn't mean it will be at all legible at 7"
That said many games probably will work just fine and stuff that you can't read you can probably figure out from context.

My big concern this morning is all about the amount of storage space. Most games don't let you choose to install only low-res (720p) textures... There probably will be a bunch of third party hacks/mods to remove 4k and 2k textures from the most popular games. Game pass would be cool but it takes a lot of space to install windows and to take updates.

The switch is a super polished and frictionless user experience. The steam deck is probably going to require a lot of messing around and time wasted figuring out how to get stuff working, but offers the most swiss army like capability on a portable.

The deck is like a semi-mainstream descendant of the GPD Win.

If I'm being totally honest with myself, if the deck had a Wacom stylus, I'd buy the top of the line model. Even surface pen support would push me into the $550 model.

I think I'm going to throw $5 down, but as it stands I think I'm just going to wind up donating $5 to valve.

You just described the Switch's own storage capabilities. Cloud games... Check. Micro sd card day 1... Check. [More expensive] bigger storage version... Check.
Switch has a major advantage for storage though in that it has Physical released games. There's an option to pretty much spend the same as digital to game on the switch without even needing to buy a memory card. And most games are fairly well optimized with storage in mind as well as being readable when in portable mode (not all are optimized perfectly... but most are).

Looking closer at the steam deck compared to the switch... It's nearly 4x as thick, just over 2 inches longer [insert measurement jokes], and weighs 1.47 pounds (versus 0.88 pounds of the switch). So it's going to be a bit more noticeable to carry around and a lot harder to hold for long periods of time even if you are playing any serious games on it which knocks the battery life down to the 2hr mark.

I'm not saying the steam deck is a bad idea. Not at all. Imagine a lan party with these things! It's a cool little PC running linux that can be completely modded and changed for whatever. The main hiccup for me is the storage limitations, text on that small screen, the weight and battery life, and then all the other problems that go along with PC's. If it were being liquidated out at around $150 for the base model... I'd probably grab one just to mess around with.

Switch has a major advantage for storage though in that it has Physical released games. There's an option to pretty much spend the same as digital to game on the switch without even needing to buy a memory card. And most games are fairly well optimized with storage in mind as well as being readable when in portable mode (not all are optimized perfectly... but most are).
You can do the same (beyond a storage optimized game) if you really wanted, buy a simple adapter that slots into the top usb-c port, now you have a usb-a port. Now you're free to install single games on a usb stick if you really want to treat them like physical games

For those that don't want to pay tax using trade credit, you can drive to your local GS when it opens - each GS was sent a few. My homestore got 8 allocated first-come-first-serve. So I picked one up! Was able to cancel my Target website order from this morning. 

Seems like they made plenty of these, so hopefully the scalpers don't make too much profit! 

MSQpWaL.png

when you say PC games you mean like league of legends? Cause I'm pretty sure pc has the same games as switch minus the Nintendo games
PC game interfaces are designed under the assumption that the player is using a desktop monitor, laptop screen, or possibly a tv. Most PC developers don't think about how their games will look on a 7" screen. Switch games, on the other hand, are all designed knowing the games can be played portable.

when you say PC games you mean like league of legends? Cause I'm pretty sure pc has the same games as switch minus the Nintendo games
I can't read a bunch of the text in some of the screens in Civ6 on my switch lite. Tried my kids switch in handheld and it wasn't much better.

And that's on a platform where they are supposedly taking handheld play into account.

I can't read a bunch of the text in some of the screens in Civ6 on my switch lite. Tried my kids switch in handheld and it wasn't much better.

And that's on a platform where they are supposedly taking handheld play into account.
idk I guess since like for example...FF7 steam version was developed with a big screen in mind...it's gonna have hard to read text on the steam deck?

PC game interfaces are designed under the assumption that the player is using a desktop monitor, laptop screen, or possibly a tv. Most PC developers don't think about how their games will look on a 7" screen. Switch games, on the other hand, are all designed knowing the games can be played portable.
Also switch versions are often different than the PC and other ones. See Ys 8.

Then factor in keyboard and mouse stuff, all the bajillion PC games that are not on the switch and came out before the switch existed.

So can the steam deck access gamepass and psnow? If so that's kind of a big deal. I'll always buy Nintendo systems, but as an alternative to a ps5 or xbox the steam deck is looking tempting.

So can the steam deck access gamepass and psnow? If so that's kind of a big deal. I'll always buy Nintendo systems, but as an alternative to a ps5 or xbox the steam deck is looking tempting.
Agreed, if it could gain access to the gamepass library would be a huge selling point.

It's a linux based pc... so... I don't know. I know they are doing some windows emulation stuff for the games that aren't linux native... but you may need to install windows 10 to the thing and maybe dual boot it to have the best of both worlds.

Yes it can access any of your game libraries. It was confirmed by the devs in the IGN interview. Not having to buy the portable Switch version of games I can already access on PC was a huge decision maker for me.

bread's done
Back