Nintendo eShop Deals and Discussions

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads (and continues to on this thread!)

Feel free to post here about the newest Nintendo eShop deals, My Nintendo rewards and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Nintendo Sales and Deals page

Last edited:
Ha, yeah I’m not paying $80/year for a handful of retro games. Or $50 for one of the worst controllers in history. The Genesis I have fond memories of, but that controller ain’t worth $50 either. [emoji58]

Honestly my wallet needed the break anyway. [emoji2371]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reminder to everyone: you can bundle My Nintendo rewards with anything else selling in the Nintendo online shop, and get charged the same $7 shipping fee.

No one wants the Genesis controllers?
There’s already very good, officially licensed, 6-button Genesis pads out there for considerably less. The look’s a bit different, but it’s not much of a surprise that these would be slow sellers.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/sega-genesis-classics-switch/

This game that regularly goes on sale for around $12 digital has pretty much everything in the Genesis online. The Sonic games have their own remasters and the mobile ports are coming officially* to Switch soon along with Sonic 3 (which has been in legal limbo since people noticed similarity to Michael Jackson's music)

*There's a homebrew port that extracts files from a legally downloaded free version from the android store.

I can do without the NSO Expansion.  I'm not even sure I want to keep the regular NSO when my renewal comes up in December.  I barely played the NES/SNES games and I can just scratch that itch with the NES & SNES classic systems I already own.

Considering a large number of people bought NSO specifically for Animal Crossing, including the dlc in the expansion is a good idea. That said, it seems overpriced unless you family share with many Switches.

In my case, our family plan has five users across four Switches. If we all want the AC dlc, that would be $100. Family plan for $80 doesn't seem as bad in that scenario. Since you lose the dlc when NSO runs out though, I'm not sure if we will go that route.

As for N64 and Genesis games, I just play releases on other consoles like Xbox or 3DS, emulate on my Shield TV, or can bust out our old N64 that's stashed in a closet somewhere in the house. I can see how people who don't play AC will immediately avoid the expansion at that price.

In my case, our family plan has five users across four Switches. If we all want the AC dlc, that would be $100. Family plan for $80 doesn't seem as bad in that scenario. Since you lose the dlc when NSO runs out though, I'm not sure if we will go that route.
Or $50 if you're sharing digital.

I wonder how many who are saying "oh hell no" to the NSO pricing options are secretly going to feed the Nintendo conglomerate anyway?

People getting the Metroid Poster?

It shows Temporarily OOS for me
It has been out of stock for a week or so now. Most people here redeemed the code as soon as it was available and waited to buy something from the Nintendo store to make the $7 shipping worthwhile.

I did not have enough coins when the poster went up or I would have done the same. I had to do some quests to get over 1000 plat coins. I am just waiting for the posters to come back in stock hopefully.

Yeah, $80 (we have two Switches for both sons) a year for what basically amounts to some N64 and Genesis games isn't going to happen here.  I would have gone for $10-15 more, but more than double?  Nope.  You are literally paying more than twice for a small selection of N64 games, Genesis games and Animal Crossing content if you are into that.  Everything else is in the base sub.  Heck, I even got the sub plus a 128GB memory card from amazon for $35 earlier this year.

There are tons of ways to play Genesis games legally and well.  Less so for N64 games, but there are still options depending on the game.  I think Nintendo got caught up a bit much in their own nostalgia.

I have a couple years of NSO stacked so I am also likely to hold off on the expansion. The real value here are the N64 games with online multiplayer. If this launched with online Smash 64 and Diddy Kong Racing, it would have been an easier sell.

You can either pay $25 for the DLC, or get it as part of the family plan while it's active.
I agree that they can probably cut your access to the archipelago, but I have to imagine that the small feature updates that get integrated afterwards (partition walls etc) are harder to remove access to.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

I agree that they can probably cut your access to the archipelago, but I have to imagine that the small feature updates that get integrated afterwards (partition walls etc) are harder to remove access to.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
“Eurogamer also asked specifically what would happen if you unsubscribed from Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack after using it to play the expansion:

“Players can still continue to access certain things they have unlocked in Animal Crossing: New Horizons - Happy Home Paradise on their main island, including adding counters, partition walls, as well as adding ambient lighting and soundscapes, even if their access to Animal Crossing: New Horizons - Happy Home Paradise is suspended," a Nintendo spokesperson told me. "However, it will not be possible to visit the archipelago if players lose access to the DLC. To be able to visit the archipelago and take on requests of designing vacation homes again, you will need to purchase the DLC separately or renew the Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack membership."

“Eurogamer also asked specifically what would happen if you unsubscribed from Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack after using it to play the expansion:

“Players can still continue to access certain things they have unlocked in Animal Crossing: New Horizons - Happy Home Paradise on their main island, including adding counters, partition walls, as well as adding ambient lighting and soundscapes, even if their access to Animal Crossing: New Horizons - Happy Home Paradise is suspended," a Nintendo spokesperson told me. "However, it will not be possible to visit the archipelago if players lose access to the DLC. To be able to visit the archipelago and take on requests of designing vacation homes again, you will need to purchase the DLC separately or renew the Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack membership."

i keep finding just the exact same info, but on the official nintendo site mentions nothing about or similar to "susbscription tied DLC" (something many point as "rental"). there is currently an AC DLC for online members and it seems is yours to keep even if suscription ends, there are Pac-Man 99 free DLC for nintendo online members too and there seems to be permanent and not suscription tied.

Did anyone think that this spokesperson might be misinformed? The exact details about the expansion pack are not yet available, so there is no concrete and final information about the DLC offering yet.

i keep finding just the exact same info, but on the official nintendo site mentions nothing about or similar to "susbscription tied DLC" (something many point as "rental"). there is currently an AC DLC for online members and it seems is yours to keep even if suscription ends, there are Pac-Man 99 free DLC for nintendo online members too and there seems to be permanent and not suscription tied.

Did anyone think that this spokesperson might be misinformed? The exact details about the expansion pack are not yet available, so there is no concrete and final information about the DLC offering yet.
Note the line at the bottom about requiring an active subscription to access the DLC. Direct from nintendo, not a spokesperson.
[attachment=36219:Screenshot_20211016-005134_Twitter.jpg]

Just beat Metroid Dread 100%. WOW!! Better than I expected. My only real gripe are the load times. when traveling. I expect more from a AAA Nintendo game. There is also a 20 second load screen at the end that kills the momentum/immersion. Hopefully, Nintendo fixes these in a patch. Getting some of those missile and energy tank upgrades were harder than some bosses.

I wonder how many who are saying "oh hell no" to the NSO pricing options are secretly going to feed the Nintendo conglomerate anyway?
I fully admit I'm feeding the conglomerate, but in the cheapest way possible. Anyone who signs up for the Expansion Pack via an Individual Membership is insane and the worst type of Nintendo-enabler.

I am hoping that if enough people skip upgrading their individual plans, they'll reconsider the offerings.

That or they'll jack up the Family plans.. :bouncy:

I just finished Dread. My completion time was 6:48. Fun time, but that's shorter than Fusion. The story & twist were kinda...bleh though. The Prime series & Other M had me spoiled on story & character development. Also the ending rewards are garbage. Lol! Glad I used that $15 off Amazon promo. Sucks to hear about another game breaking bug. Other M had one too.
I'm glad someone is being honest about Metroid Dread. The gameplay was really good for the short time you have with it & was actually tough in a few spots, but the much hyped conclusion to Samus's story ended on quite the whimper. The little story there was face palm worthy & the ending was just bad. Even worse getting 100% is pointless & doesn't net you a secret ending. Just a couple pieces of artwork.

I got 100% in just under 10 hours. No need to play hard mode. I just looked up the couple pieces of artwork you get for completing that online.

I'm glad someone is being honest about Metroid Dread. The gameplay was really good for the short time you have with it & was actually tough in a few spots, but the much hyped conclusion to Samus's story ended on quite the whimper. The little story there was face palm worthy & the ending was just bad. Even worse getting 100% is pointless & doesn't net you a secret ending. Just a couple pieces of artwork.

I got 100% in just under 10 hours. No need to play hard mode. I just looked up the couple pieces of artwork you get for completing that online.
I like that it's short and can't stand long games these days. The thing that annoys me are the EMMI sections. I absolutely hate forced stealth, and stealth sections are the last thing I'd want in a Metroid game. Just let me explore freely and pew pew at things, wtf. Pretty much every time I stopped playing was because I got bogged down by yet another EMMI section of the map. Boring. Though I died so damn often that I somehow perfected the timing for countering those stupid robots, so that made things slightly less tedious. I thought people were mostly in agreement that stealth sucks these days, but reviewers didn't seem to mind in this case for some reason.

Anyone know where I could get the hatsune miko hori controller for a decent price?
IIRC, those were pretty much made to order (and huge), so it’d be hard to find a deal on them. Doesn’t help that Play-Asia prices their stuff like a scalper (lol $806).

There’s a couple of third party options that afaik are a bit hit-or-miss in quality, here’s a couple:

https://youtu.be/qo0RdTxMq88
https://youtu.be/cmBxF9ThT_E

I hope they get more n64 controllers in stock i missed it.
Yep, on the N website, it says more coming late October I believe, but I expect those to go fast as well, unless your at the right place at the right time. They still stock the NES & SNES controllers, so with that in mind, it's only a matter of supply catching up with demand. Which sadly in times of C19, who the hell knows how often or how many, or how long they'll last once they do?

Let's be honest, there are many great N64 alternatives out there, wired and wireless, that all work on the Switch, so just buy one of those to tide you over until supply gets good, and don't pay the scalpers. And I would also suggest anyone with even a mild interest in the Genesis pad, PLEASE do not buy that NA version, as that should have never even been offered. Japans is the same price roughly, and they get the 6 button pad, send NoA a message, that their Genesis pad is not welcome, or at the very least, both should have been offered. With the base 3 button pad being $40, instead of $50. And I'm sure that 6 button pad would have sold out just as fast as the N64 pad did, Damn NoA is so damn clueless 99.9% of the time.

I like that it's short and can't stand long games these days. The thing that annoys me are the EMMI sections. I absolutely hate forced stealth, and stealth sections are the last thing I'd want in a Metroid game. Just let me explore freely and pew pew at things, wtf. Pretty much every time I stopped playing was because I got bogged down by yet another EMMI section of the map. Boring. Though I died so damn often that I somehow perfected the timing for countering those stupid robots, so that made things slightly less tedious. I thought people were mostly in agreement that stealth sucks these days, but reviewers didn't seem to mind in this case for some reason.
The Emmi "encounters" make me feel like the worst part of playing Dragon's Lair back in the arcade; ignoring the pretty images and just trying to mash the right button when the screen flashes. A cut scene with timed button presses to escape... Hard to imagine anything less metroid from my perspective.

The Emmi "encounters" make me feel like the worst part of playing Dragon's Lair back in the arcade; ignoring the pretty images and just trying to mash the right button when the screen flashes. A cut scene with timed button presses to escape... Hard to imagine anything less metroid from my perspective.
It helps if you time the counter to the sounds the dumb robot is making instead of the flashing light. Well, that at least helped me since I play a lot of rhythm games. But yeah, it's very frustrating and annoying.

It helps if you time the counter to the sounds the dumb robot is making instead of the flashing light. Well, that at least helped me since I play a lot of rhythm games. But yeah, it's very frustrating and annoying.
Elaborate? I’ve been able to escape once trying to time it to the flashing light

Elaborate? I’ve been able to escape once trying to time it to the flashing light
They make those whirring, mechanical sounds, and after dozens of times of seeing and hearing the same death animations you can kinda hear the pattern and press the button at the right instance. It was just easier for me doing it that way. Their faces constantly flash so I was always pressing the button on the wrong flash, not so much that my timing was wrong. So I tried not to pay attention to the flashing so much.

That was a huge content update for animal crossing! Basically combining a bunch of the old games into this one plus some QOL improvements (put items into storage without having to enter your house? Yes!). The Happy Home Designer thing looks really great too.
---

Has anyone found an easier way to search for games with deeper discounts for owning other games? Like right now Forever Entertainment has some discounts going on if you own a game published by them.

I only found that out by accident when I was scrolling through Deku Deals and clicked on a game that DD said was on sale for $4.49. I couldn't make heads or tails out of the screen shots so I went to the eshop page and found the gameplay video. Then I saw that the game was actually $2.50 because of the publisher discount.

Similar thing with Golf Club Wasteland. It's on sale right now for $7.49. While researching it I found out that at launch it had a 40% discount if you owned any titles from Qubic games. Deku Deals doesn't seem to pick up on these discounts either as that price isn't reflected in its price history. I just wish there was an easier way to find out about these discounts without having to manually click on titles through the eshop and search around for the notice. We could be missing out on some good deals.

Yep, on the N website, it says more coming late October I believe, but I expect those to go fast as well, unless your at the right place at the right time. They still stock the NES & SNES controllers, so with that in mind, it's only a matter of supply catching up with demand. Which sadly in times of C19, who the hell knows how often or how many, or how long they'll last once they do?

Let's be honest, there are many great N64 alternatives out there, wired and wireless, that all work on the Switch, so just buy one of those to tide you over until supply gets good, and don't pay the scalpers. And I would also suggest anyone with even a mild interest in the Genesis pad, PLEASE do not buy that NA version, as that should have never even been offered. Japans is the same price roughly, and they get the 6 button pad, send NoA a message, that their Genesis pad is not welcome, or at the very least, both should have been offered. With the base 3 button pad being $40, instead of $50. And I'm sure that 6 button pad would have sold out just as fast as the N64 pad did, Damn NoA is so damn clueless 99.9% of the time.
It's not Nintendo's fault about the 3-button vs 6-button controller. Sega had already signed a deal with Retro-Bit to give them exclusivity for its distribution in North America. If you want one just buy a Retro-Bit one. It's cheaper, licensed by Sega, and feels the same as one for the real Genesis

IIRC, those were pretty much made to order (and huge), so it’d be hard to find a deal on them. Doesn’t help that Play-Asia prices their stuff like a scalper (lol $806).

There’s a couple of third party options that afaik are a bit hit-or-miss in quality, here’s a couple:

https://youtu.be/qo0RdTxMq88
https://youtu.be/cmBxF9ThT_E
I’ve seen the smaller one, doesn’t really interest me. Never seen the bigger one, I know you can get it from the hori Japan site but only available to an address there. Wish my daughter didn’t like rhythm games so much. I guess I’ll keep my eye on eBay, they’re between $509-$600, not what I’d care to pay for one game.

Has anyone found an easier way to search for games with deeper discounts for owning other games? Like right now Forever Entertainment has some discounts going on if you own a game published by them.
There's no easy way to do that. However, discounts are visible from your WISHLIST, so one trick is to wishl titles by companies known for discounts, then scan through your wishlist... or browse all titles by those companies, sorted by price, and look for titles which DON'T match the price sorting. The eShop sorts by "normal" prices, and NOT by "special discount" for ownership.

Companies that often do this include:

Cool, Small Games

Daedalic

Qubic Games

Forever Entertainment

Drageus

Baltoro

Many of those companies are more "shovelware" companies, although some just specialize in releasing titles from tiny, eastern European developers.

I’ve seen the smaller one, doesn’t really interest me. Never seen the bigger one, I know you can get it from the hori Japan site but only available to an address there. Wish my daughter didn’t like rhythm games so much. I guess I’ll keep my eye on eBay, they’re between $509-$600, not what I’d care to pay for one game.
If you really want it you can use a forwarding service to get it to you. Would probably end up cheaper than eBay but not cheap since you pay their handling fees plus shipping within Japan to get to them and then shipping to get it to you.

browse all titles by those companies, sorted by price, and look for titles which DON'T match the price sorting. The eShop sorts by "normal" prices, and NOT by "special discount" for ownership.
Thanks man, that helps. Still have to get lucky and catch things at the right time, but being able to narrow some down makes it a little more bearable. The eshop is too sluggish to scroll through hundreds of games at once. I've added a title from each of those publishers to my wishlist and will try to remember to check them from time to time.

I do pick up a lot of sketchy titles when they're cheap, and yeah, a lot of them are shovelware but some are decently fun.

Although it looks like a PS3 game, I've enjoyed what I've played of Ultimate Fishing Simulator (not to be confused with Fishing Universe Simulator). Lots of different fish and fishing locations and it's arcade-like which I prefer. It was only $2.

Also loved Piffle: Cat Puzzle adventure, Summer Paws, Glaive Brick Breaker, and The Big Journey.
Love Colors is just color by numbers but very fun to mindlessly play while watching tv.

I was half joking about that hamster game from before but then sunk over 10 hours into it trying to breed all 30 different colors. The description screams shovelware but the graphics are realistic and cute. You can unlock dozens of cage items to decorate their habitat; some of which they actually interact with. And you can have like 8 of them running around at once. The hamsters do choreographed dances when you unlock a new breed. It's very wacky!

Quick word of warning to those considering alternative Sega controllers: I own both 8Bitdo’s Bluetooth pad and Retro-Bit’s 2.4gHz pad. Because the Switch doesn’t read the Retro-Bit’s USB dongle as a Pro Controller, like it does the 8Bitdo, you can’t re-assign buttons at the system level.

This function has been pretty crucial for me to be able to enjoy the extant Sega Genesis Classics compilation (which doesn’t feature in-game button mapping). Hopefully the Switch Online offerings allow flexible button re-mapping so you can properly play with your controller of choice, but it might be safer to stick with a Bluetooth pad that you can reconfigure in the Switch’s Settings menu.

Did you guys have a Genesis? 6-button were useful on like 2 fighting games and that was it.
It's not only the button count, the D-pad was WAY better on the 6 button design. Also, something to consider is the controller has 4 buttons, which are all used by games, the 6 button controller actually has 8, with mode mostly being unused. This became an issue on the Sega Genesis Mini because with the regular controller you had to hold start for a period of time to get the menu to come up. With the 6 button pad you got it instantly with the mode button. That means when you want to do anything from the menu (like saving states) it involves a one second delay.

Not sure how they'll solve this, maybe with a secondary Joy-Con, but it is still more cumbersome. It should at minimum have an extra menu button on it.

Just to reitterate something I said before about the genesis 6 button controllers.... there's only one game in the launch group that has a 6button option and you have to manually enable it using two controllers.   So right now there's no reason for it other than future planning... and IMO the better deal is either go third party... or just stick with the official SNES controllers as they have more than enough buttons.

Anyone want to join a family group for the new NSO +? I'm putting together a group. Need 5 more peeps to join. $10 per member per year. Not too sure if tax will be added. Hit me up if anyone is interested.
How does that work? I create a dummy account on my Switch and give you the log in details or do you give me log in info? What if I game share with a friend already?

bread's done
Back