Nintendo eShop Deals and Discussions

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads (and continues to on this thread!)

Feel free to post here about the newest Nintendo eShop deals, My Nintendo rewards and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Nintendo Sales and Deals page

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
They picked Mario Golf over Kirby 64?
Between this and not releasing Pokemon Snap near Pokemon Day, I think Nintendo forgot how to cross-promote.
Either way, the wait until wave 2 in June continues. :bouncy:

Well if you never played the original release you'll probably be able to appreciate it more minus the crappy localization. They decided to be cheap ass developers and not hire Troy Baker to reprise his role as Yuri Lowell and instead kept some of the original voice work and redubbed the rest that was jpn only content with Matt Mercer. as well as chopping out original bits at random to have Matt Mercer redo that didn't need to be changed. As a result it feels like a Ransom letter cobbled together dub as far as Yuri Lowell is concerned since it switches between the 2 vas frequently.

Oddly none of the other characters seemingly had their voice actors replaced besides captain Leblanc off the top of my head. And man is his new va terrible. Luckily he didn't have many lines.

I thought the VA in Vepseria was fine... it was mainly that the game felt too linear and the battle system was no fun with some of the smaller bosses feeling overly challenging even with the game set on easy mode.  I ended up not finishing it despite loving most everything else about the game.

It is linear until part 2 when you get the boat.

As far as the difficulty is concerned that really shouldn't be a problem if you know what you are doing outside of the infamous noob killer gattuso the giant wolf. That one's difficult due to his high attack power. Unless you get lucky and lure it to the plants to stun it and then use overlimit to open a can of destruction field and fireball spam.

Well if you never played the original release you'll probably be able to appreciate it more minus the crappy localization. They decided to be cheap ass developers and not hire Troy Baker to reprise his role as Yuri Lowell and instead kept some of the original voice work and redubbed the rest that was jpn only content with Matt Mercer. as well as chopping out original bits at random to have Matt Mercer redo that didn't need to be changed. As a result it feels like a Ransom letter cobbled together dub as far as Yuri Lowell is concerned since it switches between the 2 vas frequently.

Oddly none of the other characters seemingly had their voice actors replaced besides captain Leblanc off the top of my head. And man is his new va terrible. Luckily he didn't have many lines.
They tried to get Mercer but he said no, reason being that he didn't want to only be known as a Troy Baker knock-off. It would have been fine if they got him since he's good at impersonating Troy's voice

Instead they got Grant George. I like his work that I've heard (Shinjiro in Persona 3, Suigetsu in Naruto Shippuden), but he literally sounds nothing like Troy. And it's very jarring to go from Troy's Yuri to Grant's Yuri in the middle of a cutscene. Plus even the returning actors sound different in their new scenes, probably due to bad voice direction and different equipment

And to top it all off people asked Troy why he wouldn't come back, and be revealed that Bamco didn't even ask him lol. He said he would have loved to come back even for lesser pay than he's used to and was bummed they didn't ask him. And he backed that statement up by returning as Vincent in Catherine Full Body (another lower budget Japanese game) that same year

I wasn't aware that it was a different va than matt mercer.  But yeah it's very easy to distinguish between troy's yuri lowell and Grants especially when as you mentioned they can switch in the same scene. 

The last few years have been a lot of companies flat out not asking va's to reprise their roles (even when they would be willing to at a pay cut in troys case) so it isn't all that surprising but it does make the companies look cheap and or badly more and more.  I wonder if they will have troy reprise his role as Kanji then if asked. Though given that they haven't used english voice work for anything persona 4 related since golden/dance? they're probably fine with skirting the issue via that and or don't care that they've replaced nearly the entire cast's va's. 

"Plus even the returning actors sound different in their new scenes, probably due to bad voice direction and different equipment"

I think it being 10 something years since the game originally released may have also been a contributing factor.  

I wonder if they will have troy reprise his role as Kanji then if asked. Though given that they haven't used english voice work for anything persona 4 related since golden/dance? they're probably fine with skirting the issue via that and or don't care that they've replaced nearly the entire cast's va's.
Ha Kanji is done by Mercer. Anyway I love vesperia. I'd call it both my favorite and the objectively best Tales game. Everybody buy it.

I doubt they'd ever go back to Troy for Kanji since Mercer has done Kanji in a few games and no one has complained

One thing that really sucked was Laura Bailey not returning as Rise in the dancing game since her schedule was too full. Ashly Burch is a decent VA, but was awful as Rise in that game. Hopefully Atlus at least tries to get Laura back if Rise ever appears in a newer game

I doubt they'd ever go back to Troy for Kanji since Mercer has done Kanji in a few games and no one has complained

One thing that really sucked was Laura Bailey not returning as Rise in the dancing game since her schedule was too full. Ashly Burch is a decent VA, but was awful as Rise in that game. Hopefully Atlus at least tries to get Laura back if Rise ever appears in a newer game
Unfortunately, I think Laura Bailey is as done with the Persona series (and Japanese/anime games in general) as Troy Baker is. She still takes some Japanese/anime game jobs like Troy still does, but for the most part, both of them have wholly moved on to just big budget AAA stuff. I can't begrudge a good voice actor for taking high paying rolls that they do deserve for their talent, but I also can't help feeling betrayed that they abandoned my kind of games. Oh well, there's plenty more voice actors in the booth lol

And yeah, Ashly Burch was terrible as Rise, but she was still better at that role than she is playing Aloy, the flattest, most boring main character in all of gaming. Between those two roles, I was convinced she was a terrible actress, then she popped up as the voice of that mobile game character that cameoed in that weird Fina Fantasy XV sidequest and she was great. So, maybe she was just trying a little too hard to be a good Rise, to fill Laura's shoes. And Aloy, well, that's gotta just be bad direction...and bad writing...

Unfortunately, I think Laura Bailey is as done with the Persona series (and Japanese/anime games in general) as Troy Baker is. She still takes some Japanese/anime game jobs like Troy still does, but for the most part, both of them have wholly moved on to just big budget AAA stuff. I can't begrudge a good voice actor for taking high paying rolls that they do deserve for their talent, but I also can't help feeling betrayed that they abandoned my kind of games. Oh well, there's plenty more voice actors in the booth lol

And yeah, Ashly Burch was terrible as Rise, but she was still better at that role than she is playing Aloy, the flattest, most boring main character in all of gaming. Between those two rolls, I was convinced she was a terrible actress, then she popped up as the voice of that mobile game character that cameoed in that weird Fina Fantasy XV sidequest and she was great. So, maybe she was just trying a little too hard to be a good Rise, to fill Laura's shoes. And Aloy, well, that's gotta just be bad direction...and bad writing...
Oh I wouldn't be a surprise if it was a combination of those factors but 9 times out of 10 it's bad direction. I mean look at laura bailey in star ocean 4 and tales of graces as an example of a great va giving really bad performances. Those games had experienced va's so it was definitely on the script and voice direction. I believe Bryce commented on them wanting him to give that weird depressed assbell in particular. Once they let loose in the skits especially the f arc ones it was night and day differences as well.

And yeah, Ashly Burch was terrible as Rise, but she was still better at that role than she is playing Aloy, the flattest, most boring main character in all of gaming. Between those two rolls, I was convinced she was a terrible actress, then she popped up as the voice of that mobile game character that cameoed in that weird Fina Fantasy XV sidequest and she was great. So, maybe she was just trying a little too hard to be a good Rise, to fill Laura's shoes. And Aloy, well, that's gotta just be bad direction...and bad writing...
Atlus seems to keep a good relationship with their VAs, even ones that get a lot more famous over the years. Plus they do union dubs now, so I think that would be enough incentive for Laura to come back one day as Rise. Rise is one of her most popular roles, and she did come back as Catherine a few years ago. She even came back recently to voice Tohru in Fruits Basket, despite the fact that Funimation doesn't do union dubs and is notorious for paying its VAs like crap

LOL. Birch is fantastic as Aloy. One of the best written and voiced characters in recent memory.

I forgot I already owned a loose Sega 3D Classics Collection cartridge that I bought from a GameStop sale way back when.

I fired it up last night, played a long game of Puyo Puyo, and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Maze Hunter sucks, and somehow when I was playing Power Drift, the camera swung all the way around in front of me.  I had never played a racing game that way, and I never will again.

But if anyone's considering a purchase of it on the 3DS eShop, $7.99 is a great deal to get a bunch of retro games in one shot.

Also, I learned a lesson - never start a role-playing game before bed.  The long cut-scenes in Persona Q put me right to sleep.  8-[

Well there's an idea; why didn't I think of that? I do like VNs, they occasionally put me to sleep, and I occasionally have trouble getting to sleep at night. I think I'll pull the trigger on a few VNs in my wishlist and give it a try.

Boring RPGs usually get my attention wandering and not giving a shiz anymore after that. Visual novels I love and treat as books. I read pretty quickly so I kind of bum rush them a bit. I listen to about maybe 60-70% of the lines in full, but generally skip once I'm done with the dialogue. Also many VNs/RPGs are hard to get into. I generally read to wind down at night, so playing a VN before sleeping works to tire me out.

Mine arrived yesterday. It was just the accessory, no original box or manual, but it looks brand new. No wear or gunk that typically comes with used controllers. Gave it a test run and all the buttons, joysticks, and functions work properly. Guess I got lucky but I'll keep using it for a while to make sure everything stays good.
Mine arrived today, it came in the box and with instructions. Mine also looked brand new and everything functions fine. Great purchase at $28

I think the games I’ve drifted off to the most at this point are Picross and Monster Hunter. But if I really want to go to sleep, I can always read golden or silver age superhero comics.

Closing in on 50 hours in Octopath Traveler and not even half way through is a reminder of "Oh yeah, this is why I rarely touch JRPG's" still enjoying it and thinking of what job classes to mix with what, but man it is a commitment. Also doing my part in case you want to port more Switch JRPG's to Game Pass, Microsoft. HINT. HINT.

If I'm tired, I just go to sleep.  There's no point it starting something I won't appreciate or remember when I'm ready to continue.

If I'm tired, I just go to sleep. There's no point it starting something I won't appreciate or remember when I'm ready to continue.
Eh, a lot of people need that little bit of “decompression” time right before falling asleep. Relieve stress, worries, etc. I set a timer on my TV to turn off after an hour, I like the background noise as I go to sleep. Sometimes I’ll read too. I generally find games to “stimulating” right before bed, but to each their own. I’ll play up to maybe half an hour before bedtime, then do something else like read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eh, a lot of people need that little bit of “decompression” time right before falling asleep. Relieve stress, worries, etc. I set a timer on my TV to turn off after an hour, I like the background noise as I go to sleep. Sometimes I’ll read too. I generally find games to “stimulating” right before bed, but to each their own. I’ll play up to maybe half an hour before bedtime, then do something else like read.
I have grown to enjoy having a fan on at night. If I'm not that tired though I'll watch something on tv I know I can finish or I don't care if I finish.

Does anyone know why the Joy Con Charging Grip seems to be discontinued in the US? The Japanese version seems to still be in stock.

I bought all the sega 3d classics I wanted a week before the sale lol, so I went ahead and got all the others too at $2.99. 3ds going to be a thing of the past before long and stereoscopic 3D gaming will never be again at least in any of our lifetimes.  Enjoy that 3D while you can folks.

I bought all the sega 3d classics I wanted a week before the sale lol, so I went ahead and got all the others too at $2.99. 3ds going to be a thing of the past before long and stereoscopic 3D gaming will never be again at least in any of our lifetimes. Enjoy that 3D while you can folks.
3D is a cyclical fad that comes back around once every twenty to thirty years. It's currently been out of fashion for... coming on seven or eight years now.

Just how old do you think the average poster here is?

3D is a cyclical fad that comes back around once every twenty to thirty years. It's currently been out of fashion for... coming on seven or eight years now.

Just how old do you think the average poster here is?
Stereoscopic 3d on a handheld will never return mark my words on that one.

Bugsnax was free on PS+, will be free on Xbox Game Pass, but $24.99 on Switch.

It's a cute little game and I've been waiting for it to come to other consoles, but can't justify buying it if I can play it for free on my xbox.

Bugsnax was free on PS+, will be free on Xbox Game Pass, but $24.99 on Switch.

It's a cute little game and I've been waiting for it to come to other consoles, but can't justify buying it if I can play it for free on my xbox.
Well not many people buy a game for more than one console in the first place (excluding Virtual Console) so that kind of goes without saying..

I just fired up my Wii U after a few years of not playing it, and I've been enjoying Freedom Planet.  For a Sonic the Hedgehog clone, I am really blown away by this game.  :shock:

Bugsnax is a decent enough game but I can't believe Sony promoted it so hard at the PS5's launch. It has good voice acting, though many of them are wasted on the creatures making weird noises. But it definitely feels like an indie game, jank included. The ending was also... bizarre and pretty unexpexted. I couldn't tell if I liked it or hated it

It was decent enough to kill a couple days during the pandemic, but I couldn't imagine paying $25 for it now. Probably worth a download for game pass owners though

bread's done
Back