Nintendo eShop Deals and Discussions

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads (and continues to on this thread!)

Feel free to post here about the newest Nintendo eShop deals, My Nintendo rewards and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Nintendo Sales and Deals page

Last edited:
Lol at not liking the word bootlicker, what a card.

And if you still disagree about the cost going up, well then enjoy believing whatever you're told.

There's zero reason for price increase beyond line must go up and Nintendo knows they can charge it.

People on CAG defending price raises. Mental. The truest Gamer™ moment.
You don't have any idea what you're talking about. There are lots of valid reasons why prices go up other than just to make more profit. I run a business and literally every cost we have in the last 2 years has gone up dramatically (trucking, salaries, repair costs, etc) some as high as 50% so there was no way for us to survive without doing price increases across the board for all our customers and contracts. Pretending that the market today is the same as it was 10 years is delusional.

You don't have any idea what you're talking about. There are lots of valid reasons why prices go up other than just to make more profit. I run a business and literally every cost we have in the last 2 years has gone up dramatically (trucking, salaries, repair costs, etc) some as high as 50% so there was no way for us to survive without doing price increases across the board for all our customers and contracts. Pretending that the market today is the same as it was 10 years is delusional.
You’re talking to a dude that thinks games just come out of thin air and any increase in prices is just corporate greed because “tech gets cheaper over time!”

I’m waiting for him to quote Moores law or some shit.

5$ off 30$ at target via circle offer so ymmv. Excluded consoles and games but accessories are not mentioned.

exclusions may not apply for the start of the offer. But I haven't tested anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
5$ off 30$ at target via circle offer so ymmv. Excluded consoles and games but accessories are not mentioned.

exclusions may not apply for the start of the offer. But I haven't tested anything.
I think you wandered into the wrong topic bro. This thread is about inflation and video game prices

I was waiting to preorder the physical LOZ Tears of the Kingdom on BB after they issue me a cert since I'm not going to do their credit card thing which will be the only way to earn points on purchases come Feb 14th.  It says they'll issue the cert within 60 days of the change.

I guess I'll still wait on that since it's at least something off the increase.  The game is not available on BB, Walmart, and is now listed on amazon as temporarily unavailable for preorder.

While I'm not exactly happy about the price increases on games... I'm thankfully not really buying much anymore.  I'll take Zelda and anything DQ or Xenoblade.  Other than that I don't know I'll even buy much this year.

Now it's attack the messenger and stating "but I'm a business man!"

C'mon. If you want an economic discussion on price increases, you discuss the whole of the situation. Posting one data set that's an inaccurate comparison isn't a discussion.

All I'll say is believe what you want and continue to support prices going up. On CAG.

Now it's attack the messenger and stating "but I'm a business man!"

C'mon. If you want an economic discussion on price increases, you discuss the whole of the situation. Posting one data set that's an inaccurate comparison isn't a discussion.

All I'll say is believe what you want and continue to support prices going up. On CAG.
You don’t have to be a business man to understand that prices are going up all across the board (distribution, salaries, overhead) and those prices do end up affecting the customer. Yes corporations are meant to increase profits. That’s their sole reason for existing. Yet you seem to think “but you know Nintendo/microsoft/Sony should just eat the extra costs because they’re greedy.”

Ok fine. They’re greedy. My original point is that even at $70, it’s still cheaper after adjusting for inflation than games from the 80s/90s/00s.

But then you respond with this nonsensical “tech gets cheaper over time” Which doesn’t apply wholesale to games. You can apply it to consoles and accessories. But we’re talking about games.

Like my man Marlo said, “you want it to be one way but it’s the other way”

Prices aren't needing to go up. The "cost of everything" had also been shown to be PR speak; it's all backed by record profits year over year for many companies.

With all the services, subscriptions, DLC, and the added cuts off every digital item sold (at nearly no cost to distribute in comparison to physical), Nintendo is in no need to increase product pricing. In fact, it should be not us arguing but agreeing they need to prove why they're doing it.

And again, raw MSRP inflation is dumb because it doesn't account for anything on the backend of production.

It's like saying books today should cost more since they used to be items only the aristocracy or churches could afford... Tech getting cheaper 100% applies to games, it's distinctly why gaming is the largest entertainment medium. The ubiquity of silicon in everything (ex. your office xerox can run doom) means a great deal on the game design, development, manufacturering, sales, and delivery.

Also, we can choose how an economy is structured; it's not physics. If it's capitalism, then that would argue we the customers should pay the lowest price possible every time (hi, we're on CAG).

It's like econ 101 arguing with econ 401; one chart of dubious origin does not validate price increases today. I guess that's due to poor critical thinking and news reporting being first-order thinking only.

But just go complain about my post being long again or something.

And again, raw MSRP inflation is dumb because it doesn't account for anything on the backend of production.

It's like saying books today should cost more since they used to be items only the aristocracy or churches could afford... Tech getting cheaper 100% applies to games, it's distinctly why gaming is the largest entertainment medium. The ubiquity of silicon in everything (ex. your office xerox can run doom) means a great deal on the game design, development, manufacturering, sales, and delivery.
Here are some backend production numbers that account for an increase in the price of a game like Zelda :

NES games - 6-10

LttP - 25

N64 games - 50

Wind Waker - 75

Twilight Princess - 115

Skyward Sword - 185

Breath of the Wild - ~300

That's the size of the team that made each of the main console Zelda games. Wasn't able to find info on the number of people working on Tears of the Kingdom. As stated before, retaining talent will drive compensation up, which has to be covered from somewhere.

Sources :

https://nintendoeverything.com/a-look-at-the-team-sizes-and-development-periods-for-the-zelda-games/

https://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/legend-zelda-breath-wild-aonuma-dev-team-size/

Also, you say gaming is the largest entertainment medium. Got a source for that to that shows a breakdown? Because years ago when the gaming industry's revenue started topping the North American box office, people that didn't know any better were saying that gaming was bigger than Hollywood. Since DVD sales made more money than theaters at that point in time, gaming was only bigger than a part of Hollywood, but not bigger than the whole. And from doing some reading, the current comparisons of gaming to film excludes revenue from films showing on TV, which alone is larger than the gaming industry. Maybe that will change when cord cutting gets to the point that the entertainment companies need to completely change their approach, but for now, Hollywood is still #1. And that probably also doesn't include the movie industries of other countries (minus the revenues from American films), while the gaming industry numbers cover the global market. Lies, damned lies and statistics.

And what happens with gaming when it gets split between console, PC and mobile? Mobile's the biggest segment of that pie. Console gaming has different needs than mobile, which would need different approaches.

All valid discussion, and how the discussion should go.

Now grab salsa data for each release, overall market, total cost of production, total revenues, and total profits, all normalized and I'd bet solidly it's higher profits overall than earlier titles.

By definition of being a for-profit publicly traded company, that would be the goal; otherwise the executives would not be performing their fiduciary role to the board and shareholders.

Which would suggest no reason to increase pricing other than line must go up.

And if we gotta play link fest (haha get it?) on common knowledge then have fun; I suppose a LinkedIn post is not valued than pretty much every other reporting? I notice it has no link to it's source, nice!
But I'll even admit that this discussion is ultimately irrelevant; the point of stating size originally is to frame the discussion of the rampant growth over 40 years, making it arguably the largest depending on who wants to slice what data.

Ultimately, it's on Nintendo to provide reasoning to increase prices. Given Sony, Microsoft, Square (lol, Forsaken), etc. are all showing no gain for more cost, all while pushing ads, microtransactions, subscriptions, and DLC, pretty much aligns with more profits theory.

All while something like Elden Ring can come it at the same price of Pokemon Sc/Vi; the difference in quality is astounding, let alone the fact Elden Ring is on five platforms versus Pokemon's one. So one can readily see final price is not indicating quality or cost to produce...

This is fun, but we'll see if it's relevant in about an hour.

Regardless, none of us should want prices to go up. If you do, why are you here?

You don’t have to be a business man to understand that prices are going up all across the board (distribution, salaries, overhead) and those prices do end up affecting the customer. Yes corporations are meant to increase profits. That’s their sole reason for existing. Yet you seem to think “but you know Nintendo/microsoft/Sony should just eat the extra costs because they’re greedy.”

Ok fine. They’re greedy. My original point is that even at $70, it’s still cheaper after adjusting for inflation than games from the 80s/90s/00s.

But then you respond with this nonsensical “tech gets cheaper over time” Which doesn’t apply wholesale to games. You can apply it to consoles and accessories. But we’re talking about games.

Like my man Marlo said, “you want it to be one way but it’s the other way”
You can apply cost reduction to games for some aspects of the development process as well. Games frequently reuse assets, even entire engines. Some go further and reuse scenes, voice work etc if a sequel. Occasionally voice actors have it negotiated in for any sequels to reprise a role or roles.

Do I want to pay an extra $10? No
Do I really care about an extra $10 when I almost never buy games at launch for any system anymore? Not really.

This was the only thought process I had. I’m not gonna defend the price increase, I’m also not gonna make much of a fuss, I’ll just pay it because the first game was one of my favorite games to come out for a long , long time. If the reviews end up being garbage, I’ll probably be out, otherwise, I’ll just pay my extra $10.

All valid discussion, and how the discussion should go.

Now grab salsa data for each release, overall market, total cost of production, total revenues, and total profits, all normalized and I'd bet solidly it's higher profits overall than earlier titles.
I'll be the first to admit the data shows that the salsa has gotten both hotter and chunkier, but that doesn't mean the cost of the chips has also increased.

@Kbob - you’re just not making any sense other than a petulant stance that greed is bad and games should cost less.

Let me dumb it down for you: games, inflation adjusted, costs less today than what they did in the past. That’s it! Any justification you have of “well it’s tech so it does down over time” is ridiculous. Stagnant mature tech goes down over time. New tech doesn’t. Not to mention that games aren’t tech. They are entertainment with more and more people needed to create that entertainment.

Did you seriously compare yourself to Econ 401? Because I’m having trouble believing you even took 101.

Again, true prices are set by the market. But absent a full fledged data set in discounting of games over time, MSRP is the correct proxy to use in this case. And the proxy says games have become cheaper over time. Or do you think inflation is fake too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMdUSVSEp7U

The Direct is live.

Summary

• Pikmin 4 - 7/21
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Volume 3 DLC - 2/15
  • Samba de Amigo: Party Central - Summer 2023
  • Fashion Dreamer - 2023 - Exclusive
  • Dead Cells: Return to Castlevania DLC - featuring the floppy whip - 3/6
  • Tron: Identity - Console launch exclusive - April
  • Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective - Summer 2023
  • DecaPolice - Level 5 - 2023
  • Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon - 3/17
  • Splatoon 3 Expansion Pass - Wave 1: Ikopolis Spring 2023 & Wave 2: Side Order TBA
  • Disney Illusion Island - 7/28
  • Fire Emblem Engage Expansion Pass - Wave 2 Out Today
  • Harmony: The Fall of Reverie - Console launch exclusive June 2023
  • Octopath Traveler II - Demo Out Today - 2/24 release
  • We Love Katamari Reroll + Royal Reverie - 6/22 - Katamari Damacy Reroll Game Trial 2/20 - 2/26
  • Sea of Stars - 8/29 - Demo Out Today
  • Omega Strikers - 4/27
  • Etrian Odyssey Origins Collection - 6/1 - EOI-III HD also sold separately
  • Advance Wars 1+2 Re-Boot Camp - 4/21
  • Kirby's Return to DreamLand Deluxe - Demo Out Today - 2/24
  • Game Boy/Color on NSO (Launch:
    Tetris, Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX, Gargoyle's Quest, Game & Watch Gallery 3, Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare, Metroid II: Return of Samus, Wario Land 3, Kirby's Dream Land
    - Post launch:
    The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages/Seasons, Pokemon Trading Card Game, Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble
    ) GB/GB Pocket/Color filters, 2 Player Local/Online Play - Out Today
  • GBA for NSO + Expansion Pack (Launch:
    SMA4, WarioWare Inc, Kuru Kuru Kururin, Mario Kart: Super Cirtcuit, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
    - Post Launch:
    Metroid Fusion, Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, Fire Emblem, F-Zero Maximum Velocity, Golden Sun
    ) - Local + Online Play for 4 Players - Out Today
  • Metroid Prime Remastered - Out Today - Physical 2/22
  • Master Detective Archives: Raincode - 6/22
  • Baten Kaitos I & II HD Remaster - Summer 2023
  • Fantasy Life i: The Girl Who Steals Time - 2023
  • Professor Layton and the New World of Steam
  • Mario Kart 8 Booster Course Pass Wave 4 - Spring 2023
  • Minecraft Legends 4/18
  • Blanc - 2/14
  • Mega Man Battle Network Legacy Collection - 4/14
  • Have a Nice Death - 3/22
  • WBSC eBaseball: Power Pros - Out Today
  • Disney Dreamlight Valley - Realm Update April 2023
  • Tales of Symphona Remastered - 2/17
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - 5/12 - Collector's Edition + New Link Amiibo at launch

Ultimately, it's on Nintendo to provide reasoning to increase prices. Given Sony, Microsoft, Square (lol, Forsaken), etc. are all showing no gain for more cost, all while pushing ads, microtransactions, subscriptions, and DLC, pretty much aligns with more profits theory.

Regardless, none of us should want prices to go up. If you do, why are you here?
They actually don't need to provide reasoning to us beforehand. Perhaps to their shareholders, and it may be in their next quarterly statement, but if they feel demand could be there to justify a price bump for marquee titles, it's in their right to test that theory. It may succeed, it may fail.

Unfortunately, that LinkedIn post was the only one I found that had actual numbers for the film industry's Pay TV revenues. Some other charts asterisked the film industry noting that not all revenues were included, just the box office and home video. Also didn't see anything that broke down the gaming industry by region, it was all just global gaming market compared to a part of the US film industry.

Do I want prices to go up? No. Do I understand that there are a lot of forces at play that lead to it? Yes. Am I entitled to know what all of those forces are? No. I can just vote with my wallet.

Surprised to see Etrian Odyssey giving how essential that seemed to play on the DS/3DS.

Alone in the Dark? That's a selection. Surprised to see Tilt 'n' Tumble, too.

Would have been nice to see a Zelda collection and a Prime Trilogy remaster, but pretty happy with this overall. Pikmin 4, Baten Kaitos, and at least the original Prime. Glad they confirmed GB and GBA too. Now to decide whether to buy up some last minute 3DS and Wii U VC games or just give in to the subscription. Did they ever get rid of those ugly gray borders and icons and allow you to just have black borders? Been awhile since I touched the online service.

Power Pros is one of my favorite baseball games. The PS2 ones where fun. I need to get that one. Lots of good releases coming. I need that Etrian Odyssey collection when it comes out. Etrian Odyssey 2 and 3 are close to my favorites, with 4 being better. Princesses all the way for the best class.

I'm glad Nintendo's finally making a good game again with a new Fantasy Life.

Surprised nobody cares about Game Boy and GBA games on NSO and NSO+EP.

@Kbob - you’re just not making any sense other than a petulant stance that greed is bad and games should cost less.

Let me dumb it down for you: games, inflation adjusted, costs less today than what they did in the past. That’s it!
And I said "that's entirely dumb because it's comparing a CRT TV to an LCD" in similar fashion. That's it!

Comparing cost of those two across four decades is apples to oranges. Not a hard concept. Sometimes trying to simplify things too much results in the wrong answer. Games should be cheaper, are cheaper, and have no reason to go up in price with the industry reaping every increasing profits (while treating fans and employees with equal contempt, I might add). None of this is contested knowledge and to act otherwise is super freakin' weird for a CAG.

Said inflation analysis also doesn't account for cost of everything else, wage depression, raising food costs, job insecurity, etc. that causes the erosion of disposable income.

Kinda like I actually study socioeconomic theory, and most gamers don't.

It's only a petulant stance if you're entirely reductive and/or wanting to make a valueless point!

I Hope they're using the Wii port of Super Mario Bros Advance 4 Super Mario Bros 3 (I think that's the correct numbering), since that one has all the bonus levels from the E-Card reader.

I Hope they're using the Wii port of Super Mario Bros Advance 4 Super Mario Bros 3 (I think that's the correct numbering), since that one has all the bonus levels from the E-Card reader.
I think the video mentioned the inclusion of the bonus levels.

I'm glad Nintendo's finally making a good game again with a new Fantasy Life.

I'm glad about GB/GBA, just wish they gave the option to purchase games to people who prefer that to subscriptions.

$40 for Metroid Prime Remastered is something. The graphics are definitely improved and it's portable now, but I picked up the trilogy on Wii U for $20 (or maybe $10?).

It would be way better if they put Pokemon gens 1 through 3 on there and they were compatible with Home. But we know they won't bother with that

TotK $70 on the eShop but it qualifies for the vouchers.
Where are you seeing this? Game isn't up for preorder yet and doesn't show as an eligible game on the vouchers page

bread's done
Back