Nintendo eShop Deals and Discussions

psunami

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
Thanks to Frisky for all of the hard work that he put in for the previous deals threads (and continues to on this thread!)

Feel free to post here about the newest Nintendo eShop deals, My Nintendo rewards and discussions about the previously mentioned items.

Nintendo Sales and Deals page

Last edited:
My Time at Portia is $2.99 on Amazon and you get $1.50 in gold points when you redeem it.
Didn't get it last time it was on sale for this price on the eShop, but now that Amazon has it on sale, I'll probably bite for the 50% gold coin return. I can put that $1.50 toward Dead or School, which is on sale for $5.99, its lowest price ever. I'm a sucker for action games with waifus (profile pic and all lol).

Decided to pass on Chained Echoes this time, since I'm sure it'll get cheaper soon, and instead put that money toward finally getting the first 3 Dragon Quest games so I can sell my Gameboy copies. Yes, I know, ugly mobile graphics, but I don't think they look that bad and I'd prefer playing on the Switch over my GBA SP or Gameboy Player. These will tide me over until the remake of DQIII comes out (please let there be some news this year).

Also, uh, got the Forspoken DLC on PS5, which wasn't technically on sale but is included in the $25 digital deluxe upgrade that was on sale for $10. That includes the DLC, digital OST and art book, and some items. So I saved $2.49 and got some stuff for free. God help me, I really like Forspoken.

These will tide me over until the remake of DQIII comes out (please let there be some news this year).
I think I'm going to keep holding onto my DQ III GBC copy... same for all the other DQ games in my collection even when I have more modern versions or I can just emulate those versions.

As for news, it was early last month that DQ III - HD-2D was done and being play tested. So I'd imagine they'll make an announcement and release it this year.

Didn't get it last time it was on sale for this price on the eShop, but now that Amazon has it on sale, I'll probably bite for the 50% gold coin return. I can put that $1.50 toward Dead or School, which is on sale for $5.99, its lowest price ever. I'm a sucker for action games with waifus (profile pic and all lol).

Decided to pass on Chained Echoes this time, since I'm sure it'll get cheaper soon, and instead put that money toward finally getting the first 3 Dragon Quest games so I can sell my Gameboy copies. Yes, I know, ugly mobile graphics, but I don't think they look that bad and I'd prefer playing on the Switch over my GBA SP or Gameboy Player. These will tide me over until the remake of DQIII comes out (please let there be some news this year).

Also, uh, got the Forspoken DLC on PS5, which wasn't technically on sale but is included in the $25 digital deluxe upgrade that was on sale for $10. That includes the DLC, digital OST and art book, and some items. So I saved $2.49 and got some stuff for free. God help me, I really like Forspoken.

I still have a soft spot for the DQ games for the Gameboy. Glad I still have mine also.

Also, I've been really interested in Forspoken and feel like I should have picked it up over the holidays. Hopefully it'll make it's way to PS Plus in the coming months so I can save myself the money though. Edit: Hmm... $17.50 at Gamestop and actually in stock locally. Hmmm.....

As for news, it was early last month that DQ III - HD-2D was done and being play tested. So I'd imagine they'll make an announcement and release it this year.
Yeah, I remember them talking about testing it, so hopefully it's out by the end of the year. But with how common delays are, I wouldn't be surprised if it takes more time. They still haven't announced platforms for it, yet. I'm sure it'll at least be on PS5, Xbox, and Switch, but maybe it'll make it onto Switch 2. That would be awesome.
Also, I've been really interested in Forspoken and feel like I should have picked it up over the holidays. Hopefully it'll make it's way to PS Plus in the coming months so I can save myself the money though.
I got it for $15 at Best Buy (it was $20 but I had a $5 off reward) and honestly, I think it's worth twice that. It has a rough beginning (lots of cutscenes, some questionable dialogue), but the worldbuilding is very immersive and once you do get to the part where you can fight and explore, the game really shines. You'll have to go through maybe 2-3 hours of the slow part, which I believe is fair considering more critically-acclaimed games take much longer than that to really get going. Final Fantasy XVI's opening hours were slow as dirt in terms of gameplay, and while I enjoyed the story during that part, I really wanted to just play the game after a while. Forspoken, in comparison, may have a weaker story, but gets started much faster.

Basically, the hate for this game was absolutely overblown, and I'm ashamed to admit that I joined in on it when it came out, because the graphics weren't the best, it looked boring, and the dialogue was super-cringe. But, the graphics have been patched (Frey's face is much better now), the game is far from boring (though the world is pretty Ubisoft-esque in its "go to this map marker then this one then this one" style), and in context, the dialogue is perfectly fine. Yeah, Frey is really rough around the edges, but you come to understand her and her character arc is interesting to watch. I think I'm around 75% through the narrative and am really looking forward to seeing the end of the story, hence why I got the DLC.

In my opinion, it's a solid 7/10 game. World is a little too big and empty, controls can be wonky, but holy crap is it fun and the story and characters really grow on you. Probably not worth the $70 they originally asked for it, but if I spent $40 on it, I'd have been more than happy. $15 was a steal.

Man, game industry “analysts” have such a good grift going. They basically say the same things as a random gamer making predictions on reddit, but they get paid for it and get articles written about them. These very serious dudes, and social media influencers, and twitch streamers… what a crazy ecosystem of nothing jobs there are everywhere these days. I bet the average high school guidance counselor back in the day never told anyone you could get paid for this shit lol.

Man, game industry “analysts” have such a good grift going. They basically say the same things as a random gamer making predictions on reddit, but they get paid for it and get articles written about them. These very serious dudes, and social media influencers, and twitch streamers… what a crazy ecosystem of nothing jobs there are everywhere these days. I bet the average high school guidance counselor back in the day never told anyone you could get paid for this shit lol.
If your referring to Michael Pachter, that guy has been running a scam for decades. Why anyone listens to him is beyond me, but when you have media "clout" people quote you like you actually know things.

sad monty python and the holy grail GIF

Michael Packed-Turd is the worst. He's probably still insisting that the Playstation 3 will outsell the Xbox 360 in just three more years, just wait and see! He also had the worst possible take on the late (and "not so great," according to him) Satoru Iwata.

My favorite Pachter “hot take” is that this is the last generation of video game consoles, for the last 3 generations now…

Surprised in looking at that article to see Pachter wasn't one of the analyst used.

Whenever it happens is when it happens. I'm not too worried about the future Nitnendo system until Nintendo is ready to announce it, what it's capable of, and most importantly ... what games we get at launch and during the first year. My Switch collection is solid with a lot left to play so I may sit back and wait a year before jumping in unless it does something for current switch software to make it worth an upgrade for regular switch games alone.

Surprised in looking at that article to see Pachter wasn't one of the analyst used.

Whenever it happens is when it happens. I'm not too worried about the future Nitnendo system until Nintendo is ready to announce it, what it's capable of, and most importantly ... what games we get at launch and during the first year. My Switch collection is solid with a lot left to play so I may sit back and wait a year before jumping in unless it does something for current switch software to make it worth an upgrade for regular switch games alone.
As long as the new console is similar to the Switch and does not have some crazy Wii type gimmick I will try to buy this day one. If Mario Odyssey 2 released with it that would be amazing.

It seems pointless to listen to any rumors not released by Nintendo. There is so much garbage information out there that no one will know what is real until Nintendo says "Here it is".

I Don't believe any of these rumors from Nintendo unless I see a hideous and uncomfortable "leaked image" of that new Nintendo console where for some reason it's round and has the controls placed right there on top of the screen.

Last edited:
That sounds nightmarish and hopefully not something Nintendo would do. But it's even more horrifying that Nintendo could consider it.

Meh I liked the Gamecube. If they have any quality games close to that ones I'd be willing to put up with it.
I loved the Gamecube. Some amazing games on there. Definitely my favorite system of that generation.

I think Nintendo knows how to continue their good run here. They have a unique advantage over both Microsoft and Sony and as long as they allow back compatibility for Switch games, they'll keep things going.

Super Nintendo switch or Switch 2 or whatever it is called should be on the same level power wise as a Series S. Nintendo will likely want to make a profit like they pretty much do with every single console and since they got about $35 for every Switch they sold, I'm assuming they are going to want around the same profit for their next console.

I find it very very very unlikely that Nintendo would launch the new console with a $500 price point. I really see them competing in the $300 to $400 range. Switch and OLED will get a discounted price. If it cost them $320 to build it, I expect a $349 price. The higher it costs them the more it will cost obviously. I'd bet good money that the console will not be over $400. We have to remember that Nintendo does not like losing money on consoles they sell so keep that in mind.

The Wii is the worst home console in Nintendo’s history, and their best selling up till recently. I like all others better. I don’t mean the next console will be bad, but it is going to bomb if the on again / off again sales pattern set since the GameCube continues.

The Wii is the worst home console in Nintendo’s history, and their best selling up till recently. I like all others better. I don’t mean the next console will be bad, but it is going to bomb if the on again / off again sales pattern set since the GameCube continues.
Your reasoning is flawed. Nintendo was making a handheld and console back then. They aren't anymore. GBA sold over 80 million during the Gamecube's poor sales. 3DS is approaching 80 million during poor Wii U sales if the figures I googled were correct. Had both of those systems been combined like Switch, they would have sold much much better. Nintendo's next console will be another hybrid device so it will sell just fine.

I’m not reasoning or arguing anything here, thought that was obvious. This is a factual and irrefutable statement. IF the same home console sales pattern since the GameCube continues, THEN the next home console will bomb. That’s it. If it sells well, that hit/miss pattern that has gone on for almost 25 years will finally be broken. I started off by saying it’s hard to imagine how the next console would not sell well, yes, in large part because it will be hybrid rather than just home console. But my statement and the pattern still holds for their home console sales.

Last edited:
I never really liked the Wii much either.

I never really liked the Wii much either.
You never really liked both Mario Galaxy games? Never liked Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword? Didn't like Mario Kart? Never liked Super Smash Bros Brawl? Didn't like Wii Sports or Sports Resort? Didn't like the Metroid Prime Trilogy? Didn't like both No More Heroes games? Didn't like Wario Ware Smooth moves? Didn't like Super Mario Bros Wii? Didn't like Donkey Kong Country Returns? Didn't like Zack and Wiki? Didn't like Super Paper Mario? Didn't like the RE 4 port?? Didn't like Xenoblade Chronicles? Didn't like Monster Hunter Tri? Didn't like Dead Space Extraction? You really never liked any of those games?

You never really liked both Mario Galaxy games? Never liked Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword? Didn't like Mario Kart? Never liked Super Smash Bros Brawl? Didn't like Wii Sports or Sports Resort? Didn't like the Metroid Prime Trilogy? Didn't like both No More Heroes games? Didn't like Wario Ware Smooth moves? Didn't like Super Mario Bros Wii? Didn't like Donkey Kong Country Returns? Didn't like Zack and Wiki? Didn't like Super Paper Mario? Didn't like the RE 4 port?? Didn't like Xenoblade Chronicles? Didn't like Monster Hunter Tri? Didn't like Dead Space Extraction? You really never liked any of those games?

It’s telling that so many of these admittedly solid games have very minimal motion controls. And some even got better versions without motion controls at all (Zelda TP & SS, Mario Galaxy, RE4, DKC), which really goes to show how pointless that motion shit was. Waggle is why so many people look down on the wii. I will never ever feel the urge to pick up that terrible TV remote control masquerading as a game controller ever again, unlike pretty much every other Nintendo controller which all fill me with nostalgic appreciation. The wii also should’ve been HD at that point. Wii games looked frankly terrible on the brand new HD tvs everyone was buying in the mid to late 2000s.

But I agree the 360 and PS3 were worse off, gamewise. Japanese devs seemed completely incompetent in the new HD era and western devs were busy churning out generic dudebro bait. Really kind of a shitty gen overall, I spent most of my gaming time back then playing GBA and DS games and clearing out my PS2 and Gamecube backlogs.

Last edited:
I dunno, man. I kind of thought gen eight was a lot worse. Remember all the lovely plans Don Mattrick had for the Xbox One? Remember all the remasters of games we already played? Remember how crummy Street Fighter V turned out? Remember that Nintendo boondoggle, the Wii U? Yick.

I've played all of them at least an hour except Poison Control, which I know enough about.

Basically Penny Punching Princess and The Princess Guide are cut of the same cloth. Both have some story before missions and then you go to a top down 2D brawler kind of Diablo like games. I think I prefer Guide slightly because I hate the Calculator mechanic. Basically you can bring it up real time (stuff slows down I believe) and you see around you prices of enemies you can pay off. They can leave the battle with that, join you, or have damage dealt to them. This is very, very gimmicky and the Switch's controls are not as good as the Vita original. Note that Princess and Longest Five Minutes were originally on Vita. Princess Guide has a similar battle system without the calculator, but is a little more refined even though what I saw of the story hits the same silly NIS beats. Both are alright games I don't care for as much. I would also compare the battle systems to Cladun if you ever played those on the PS3 or Vita.

The Longest Five Minutes gimmick is that you start at the final battle and your main guy has amnesia, so you essentially have episodes of earlier adventures to get your memory back and get a back story. Each of these scenes has levels and different equipment/abilities for the most part. It's a quirky and cute story and also extremely fluffy. You can complete an episode and come back later, as this game feels like it was meant for portable systems. Another alright game, although I like it a bit.

Poison Control I've never played, but it's generally a 3D version of that old arcade game where you start a line and then go around an area avoiding attacks and complete the shape the line started with and purify areas. There are more intricacies and you have a companion as you purify girls. This one is a lot more ecchi than the other ones for sure. I believe the Switch version has some slowdown compared to the PS4 version, and I'm not sure of censorship.

Hopefully these all helped.

Last edited:
Poison Control is a generic third person shooter with anime girls. It's worth the $4 if you're into that kind of thing. I liked it for what it is, but the story is nothing special and the framerate gets worse further into the game, almost like they stopped trying to optimize it at a certain point.

Now I am getting subjective, and making up my own rules for what counts or not, but both Mario Galaxy games, Smash Bros Brawl, and DKC returns are the only games in that list I associate positively with the Wii. Twilight Princess and RE 4 were gamecube games, with no upgrades other than tacked on motion control. Skyward sword, Mario kart Wii, Metroid prime 3, super paper Mario: all the worst in their franchise, for the time, in my opinion. Wii sports…is Wii sports. No more heroes, Wario Ware, Zack and Wiki, Monster Hunter Tri, Dead Space extraction: these are not really in line with what I consider Nintendo classic system sellers. Xenoblade: I’m not counting since NOA made it‘s core beg for it with the “crap on the prior fan base“ portion of their blue ocean marketing strategy. The one Nintendo game I‘ve ever pirated, played the EU version on PC with dolphin, since they wouldn’t release it here. With the switch having Xenoblade 1 remaster, 2, 3, torna, and 3 will probably get DLC that could be considered a full game as well; that’s 5 Xenoblade games on one system, we didn’t have to lick Reggie’s boots for at all! And that’s already more games I associate positively with the switch from one somewhat niche series that Wii era Nintendo didn‘t think fit for release at all, than I look back fondly on from the entire Wii library. That‘s worse than the Wii U by far. Wii U has the better DKC game, better Mario Kart, better Zelda, equivalent Smash Bros, Xenoblade, and that’s not even going into its other great 1st party exclusives, easily 2-3x more than the Wii. That leaves two Mario Galaxy games, which while great, are regressive compared to Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine as representatives of the 3D exploration Mario Genre.

I am not saying I did not like some of the games I am saying I did not care for the system overall. For example I hated the VCR XBOX One but loved the XBOX One X and 360. People really need to stop thinking in absolutes and taking someone else's opinion so personally.

'Only a Sith deals in absolutes'

Last edited:
Poison Control I've never played, but it's generally a 3D version of that old arcade game where you start a line and then go around an area avoiding attacks and complete the shape the line started with and purify areas. There are more intricacies and you have a companion as you purify girls. This one is a lot more ecchi than the other ones for sure. I believe the Switch version has some slowdown compared to the PS4 version, and I'm not sure of censorship.

QIX. Poison Control is QIX with some 3PS gameplay tacked on.

Agreed. The Wii is one of my favorite consoles ever. It actually got me to PLAY the games I bought, which is kind of rare now lol.

Wii Sports, both No More Heroes, Muramasa, Mad World and many many more.

So four NIS games are on sale for 90% off making them $3.99 each, I know nothing about any of them but they all look kinda interesting, anyone have a recommendation if I was to pick one of them up? Currently leaning towards Penny-Punching Princess. Sale goes to the 15th.

Penny-Punching Princess

Poison Control

The Princess Guide

The Longest Five Minutes

I played the Longest Five Minutes and hated it. The gimmick where you start at the final battle and “remember “ the adventures & events leading up to that point is not as clever as you’d think. You’re literally just clicking on chapters in between scenes of the final battle. The battle system is as basic and dull as Dragon Quest 2 or the original Final Fantasy. Since everything is episodic, there is not much exploration and you’re kind of just trudging through areas linearly. The pixel art is nice, but there is no shortage of actually good indie RPGs with charming pixel art. Probably the most similar game to it that I’ve played is Dragon Fantasy 1&2, and while that was really basic too, I liked it a lot because it was short and the writing was kind of amusing. Longest Five Minutes OTOH is way too long and the dialogue is just generic amnesiac anime nonsense.

But for $4… i dunno, if really you like retro-style rpgs, it might be worth it.

I dunno, man. I kind of thought gen eight was a lot worse. Remember all the lovely plans Don Mattrick had for the Xbox One? Remember all the remasters of games we already played? Remember how crummy Street Fighter V turned out? Remember that Nintendo boondoggle, the Wii U? Yick.

Yeah it was bad too lol. I quite liked the Wii U because of Miiverse and genuinely amazing games like Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8 and Breath of the Wild. But obviously the future ports made those games redundant, that flimsy, unwieldy gamepad was mostly a joke, and nowadays the Wii U feels like nothing more than a janky, failed prototype for the Switch. And the other consoles were home to games that killed beloved series for me. Dragon Age Inquisition, Final Fantasy 15, Mass Effect Andromeda, Fallout 4/76…. What a parade of a disappointments we got one after the other. The flipside of that though was the waves of really great indies and mid-tier games at least.

My point is Wii had a lot of good, HIGHLY rated games.
Fair enough, it just pales in comparison to every other Nintendo home console in my opinion, even the much maligned Wii U. It’s great games that nobody played also contributed to the success of the Switch. Another thought I had, if Switch 2 is a success, that will make it the first time Nintendo has had two home consoles in a row succeed financially since the NES and SNES. Crazy, kind of momentous even.

Fair enough, it just pales in comparison to every other Nintendo home console in my opinion, even the much maligned Wii U. It’s great games that nobody played also contributed to the success of the Switch. Another thought I had, if Switch 2 is a success, that will make it the first time Nintendo has had two home consoles in a row succeed financially since the NES and SNES. Crazy, kind of momentous even.

Define “financial success.” The N64 and GameCube pulled in decent enough numbers that I’d call them reasonably successful. Hell, I wouldn’t even put the Wii U in the same category as clear failures like the Jaguar or 3DO. Just because they weren’t pulling numbers anywhere close to the frontrunners of their generation, I’m not sure I’d call any Nintendo console a failure—other than the Virtual Boy.

As for me, I’d actually put the Wii above the Virtual Boy, NES, N64, and Wii U, and put it roughly on par with the GameCube and Switch. The SNES is the only clearly superior Nintendo home console in my ranking of N’s hardware. This is of course without taking modding into consideration, mind you.

The Wii had an incredible library of games, which is why I'm very happy many of them have gotten ports, remakes, or sequels, because I really didn't like the console itself. Having to line up the sensor bar and needing to use the Wiimote to do anything, even start up a Gamecube game, is extremely annoying. Plus, those stupid Wiimotes eat up batteries like they're going out of style. Also, Nintendo tried to course correct from the Gamecube's small library by allowing everyone and their braindead grandmother to put games on the thing (kind of like what's happening with the Switch now). Some consoles had enough shovelware to fill a huge bargain bin at Wal-Mart, but the Wii had enough to fill several bargain aisles. Overall, the less Wii-exclusive features a Wii game had, the better, because the novelty of waggling the controller wore off for me very quickly.

Having said that, I love that it's fully backwards compatible with the Gamecube, which I believe was a much better system. I still have my Gamecube for the Gameboy Player, but I play its games exclusively on the Wii since I have a component cable for it, meaning the visuals look pretty good on my modern TV. If I want to play a Wii game, though, I play that on the Wii U fir the HDMI, but that poor guy is on its last leg since I got the eMMC failure (the "dying of loneliness" phenomenon, as a great article from The Verge put it). It can thankfully still play all Wii games and any Wii U game that never had a patch or DLC. But I know that soon, it'll probably just stop turning on. Such a shame, too. The Wii U and its lovely gamepad walked so the Switch could run.

For fuck's sake, Nintendo, port Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD already!

I liked waggle. Obviously it was a gimmick, and like any gimmick attached to something popular, it was overused very poorly by scads of shovelware developers (and even a few non-shovelware-developers), but I never really got bored of motion controls. Wii Sports is easily the most fun I’ve had with any sports game. I’ll readily grant I’m not a big fan of sports games, but Wii Sports was just a great pick up and play casual experience that you could easily drag others into. My experience won’t be universal, but Twilight Princess’s motion controls made the side activities in that game come alive in a way that no other Zelda game has done for me. Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 for Wii is the most fun I’ve had with an anime licensed game, and almost as much due to the sheer dumb fun of miming a kamehameha as the solid game underneath—and I want to stress here that I’m not even a DBZ fan.

I fully understand that it got old for a lot of people, but I enjoyed it in too many games to write it off. There are even a lot of games that had off-Wii versions that I would say are better on Wii specifically due to motion control. Yeah, it could be poorly implemented and overused, but when it worked, it worked. At least for me.

Define “financial success.”
The N64 and GameCube underperformed financially by most 3rd party accounts, did not meet internal expectations or goals, and they lost market share. The last time they had two home consoles in a row objectively and inarguably succeed was with the NES and SNES.

I liked the Wii's pointer controls -- they worked well for a large number of games (and genres) that really don't play well with "normal" controllers. I really wish the Switch's IR panel was at the FRONT of the controller (or there was some sort of "remote" holder) so we could get ACCURATE pointer controls again, when useful.

Motion controls drift far too much and lack accuracy. I'd like pointer controls for a LOT of genres. Not everything, but they would help with a lot of games. I was always sort of hoping we'd get "Nintendo Online -- Wii" just so they could release a Wii controller and sensor bar, and let current developers implement those controls.

The Nunchuck + Wii Remote worked very well for many games, especially first person ones.

bread's done
Back