Nintendo Recalls 3.2 Million Wiimote Straps

orimental

CAGiversary!
Nintendo has stepped up to the plate and is recalling 3.2 million Wiimote straps. They will replace your affected strap free of charge. Consoles that were shipped to retailers in early December already have the newer, thicker strap. Those affected should check out this page. Your Wii's serial number will be needed.

3.2 Million Straps Recalled

This is not good, but at least Nintendo is doing quick damage control. And they have always been very effective at it as well, unlike Sony who will let your warranty go and then let you have the problems such as DRE. I have good faith in Nintendo.

Nice! That makes my flimsier strap rare! Helloooo eBay! (I'm just kidding, but something tells me there will be others who aren't joking)

This whole strap thing is so absolutely stupid. Nintendo didn't even need to include a strap in the first place, but they did anyway. Just hold on to the darn controller, and everything will be alright.

Though once again, Nintendo amazes me. They didn't need to replace the strap, but they are doing so anyway, free of charge. Great job.

well, it's bad PR if you DON'T do something about your badly publicized product that potentially can do MASSIVE damage to your tv. I mean cmon, look at sony...

[quote name='hack']This whole strap thing is so absolutely stupid. Nintendo didn't even need to include a strap in the first place, but they did anyway. Just hold on to the darn controller, and everything will be alright.

Though once again, Nintendo amazes me. They didn't need to replace the strap, but they are doing so anyway, free of charge. Great job.[/QUOTE]

Well ok...obviously they needed to include a strap since people are STILL losing their grip on it even when wearing it..people in general are stupid, telling them to just "hold on to the damn controller" isn't going to work.

Though you are right, they might not have "had" to replace the strap, but they're saving themselves from alot of bad PR.

Put in an order, though I haven't had an issue.

I mean, if my nieces - 3 and 4 years old respectively - can manage to hold onto the 'motes in the middle of Wii Boxing, I guess I'd think the issue was smaller than the interwebs make it out to be.

Guess not.

I'm not a complete and utter dumbshit, so I don't need these straps, but I got them anyway.

I just don't understand why people think they need to swing it so damn hard.

So how are there 3 million straps out there is the question that needs to be answered... Considering that places have run out of wiimotes and december shipments already had the new straps that number is crazy

Some website did tests and the existing straps were able to hold up consoles (at least the GameCube was pictured).

I probably won't bother, but hoorah for them throwing away some money to make people happy.

One would think this is good PR, but it's only good PR for gamers. When my mom sends me an email at 8am telling me to find out how I can get the wrist straps for my Wii replaced since they were recalled, that's not good PR. Oh well.

“As of Monday, anyone who has any problems or concerns about the integrity of their Wii Remote wrist straps can call Nintendo Customer Services for a replacement strap. This is not a product recall. The current wrist strap is fine - it has passed all safely standards and does the job. This is simply a precaution because we are aware of the concerns over their safety. All new Wii Remotes and Wii consoles will ship with the new, thicker wrist strap. Even though the original straps are perfectly adequate for normal play, we can’t control the exuberance of players.” - Nintendo representative
This isn't a recall. It is more of an "idot-proofing". Though, its pretty much guaranteed that there will be people that break the new straps as well.

[quote name='botticus']One would think this is good PR, but it's only good PR for gamers. When my mom sends me an email at 8am telling me to find out how I can get the wrist straps for my Wii replaced since they were recalled, that's not good PR. Oh well.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I just got off the phone with my mom. She was asking if I had one (I don't), and then proceeded to tell me that the local news was saying they were recalling a ton of the controllers. *shrug*

I do like how a thread about a Nintendo recall incited a few Sony jabs. Good job. :roll:

Yeah, I don't get why people hate Sony so much here. Especially when the PS2 is one of the best consoles ever made...

I am happy that Nintendo is doing this however. I guess they are covering their own asses though so they can avoid a lawsuit. Has Nintendo ever recalled a product before? The only one I know of is the Famicom in Japan.

[quote name='ananag112']Yeah, I don't get why people hate Sony so much here. Especially when the PS2 is one of the best consoles ever made...[/QUOTE]

Best in terms of games, not in terms of hardware quality ;). A good chunk of that 100million was a resale to someone who had to replace their PS2...

Of course... Sony didnt have any major lawsuits, so more power to them.

Is anyone else picturing a room full of 'scientists' whipping the wimote above their heads at supersonic speeds to test the strength of the new strap?

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Is anyone else picturing a room full of 'scientists' whipping the wimote above their heads at supersonic speeds to test the strength of the new strap?[/QUOTE]

They are mos def doing that.

[quote name='foltzie']Of course... Sony didnt have any major lawsuits, so more power to them.[/quote]Except that giant class-action suit to get them to fix the DREs, right?

I woke up this morning to a note with a note from my mon about this (although she doesn't have a clue she just watches the news too much), so I got 2 just so I don't hear anything from her, lol.

[quote name='daroga']I might get some, if nothing else, I can pretend it's NoA sending me a bonus for registering games.[/QUOTE]

:rofl: That's not a bad idea...

Whoever needs one of these must be a retard...but i ordered one anyway...makes alot of sense.

Think people just want to defend the Wii even when nintendo admits they were wrong and is fixing it :/

[quote name='musicnoteless']well, it's bad PR if you DON'T do something about your badly publicized product that potentially can do MASSIVE damage to your tv.[/QUOTE]Were the straps breaking bad PR? Like botticus said, I think a recall seems more like bad PR than straps breaking from getting too into the game. Did anyone see the CNN news video about Wii straps breaking stuff? The entire video was the correspondant playing Wii boxing with some online game reviewers. Every time a news source talks about Wii straps breaking, it's pretty much an ad for Nintendo.

I still want me some free straps tho.

Uhh...I don't think they're really "looking after their customers" like many people are saying. I think they're just throwing out this recall so if someone tries to sue them from now on they can use their recall statement to get out of it.

[quote name='daroga']Except that giant class-action suit to get them to fix the DREs, right?[/QUOTE]

I'll be damned I thought that was dismissed. Since I didnt have a PS2 I missed out on that one.

[quote name='Weedy649']Whoever needs one of these must be a retard...but i ordered one anyway...makes alot of sense.

Think people just want to defend the Wii even when nintendo admits they were wrong and is fixing it :/[/QUOTE]

Well, you said it yourself: there's "We shipped a faulty product" wrong and there's "People are way stupider than we thought" wrong. Kind of a difference.

My mom flipped out about this, too. And I don't even have a Wii (yet). "It's dangerous to have a product like that. People have broken their TVs, broken their fingers..." :roll: What she doesn't realize is that it's more dangerous for these remotes to be in the hands of morons.

[quote name='botticus']One would think this is good PR, but it's only good PR for gamers. When my mom sends me an email at 8am telling me to find out how I can get the wrist straps for my Wii replaced since they were recalled, that's not good PR. Oh well.[/quote]

If your so stupid that you cant hold onto the damn controller then you don't deserve to have a Wii. This is a good thing on Nintendo's part to cover their asses, but seriously how are people doing this? Wii Bowling and actually releasing the entire controller after the motion? fuck!

i ordered some just because. but ive never had a problem with the wiimote, hell i dont even wear the strap half the time BECAUSE IM NOT A fuckING MORON WHO LETS GO OF THE CONTROLLER MIDSWING

This is just fucking dumb. people also are faking Wii injures, the whole thing is lame. Nintendo should just discontinue the strap all together. My camra came with a strap, I lost it in about 5 minutes. I have never dropped my camra or threw it into someone eye.

i haven't had any troubles, but i submitted a request for two since the one i just received from CC has the flimsy strap as well. I like the nice quick response to the problems :)

Thanks for the link. I really hope that people don't grab more than they know they need (or at least could need based on old online orders that they haven't received yet). But facilitating the overall replacement process be damned, I'm sure at least 80% of the people using this opportunity will take four straps no matter how many Remotes they currently own.

bread's done
Back