Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread

Was thinking some attachment to let u play wii u games? Sucks that the will u hit rock bottom
WIth how the dock works I don't think the portable screen can be used while the system is hooked up to the TV. Therefore Wii U backwards compatibility would be impossible. I expect most of the popular Wii U exclusives will be ported to the Switch, they already showed two in the trailer.

This might be an unpopular thought, but it would be kinda neat if Ninty finally adds their version of 'achievements/trophies'.

Not required or anything since it doesn't bother me when playing my WiiU and 3DS. Just thought it would be a nice addition.

Just take their Stamps thing all the way.
I agree completely. It's time to catch up with Microsoft/Sony. Create a reasonable ecosystem with friends, social aspects, and achievements. The console looks sweet, but I won't buy at launch without that.

They did. It was called the Wii U. Not nearly enough people bought it. If you also didn't buy it, than you're part of the problem.
Not nearly enough people bought it because......

Most people didn't know what it was. Heard more than one parent in stores asking if it was just a Wii, did it add on the wii, was it just a tablet, and so on.

It had hardly any 3rd party support for games.

The battery life sucked in the tablet.

All of the first party games were just the same old franchises for the 56th time.

They confused people by selling tons of junk plastic toys for it like a football to put the controller in, a tennis racket to put the controller in, toy ammiibos that worked with it, stands for the ammiibos, wii controllers that worked with the wiiu, something that looked like a tablet but wasn't.

Pitiful online presence.

Took way to long for prices to drop.

Graphicaly inferior to even the ps4 or 360 that were older.

Personally this doesn't really interest me. It's the kind of thing I'll pick in a year or so when a bundle comes out and I'll get some first party titles but that's about it for me. I don't care about dragging a screen around with me, don't care about detachable controllers or any other gimmicks it has. I just want to play games and none of its features are anything I see as being a way to enhance my gaming experince.

A few thoughts here...

First, every game they've shown in it is either a Wii U game or a third party game that's been around for a while. If those are in fact Wii U games, I'd like to know if they're being port to the Switch or if, maybe, the Switch is capable of playing digital Wii U games (doubtful). One dev did say it was very easy to compile games for the Switch so... it would be very interesting. Either way, I wish they would have shown something new. 

EDIT* My bad, the Mario footage shown was from a new game, as was the Mario Kart game. Splatoon may be as well? Hard to tell with that one... maybe new DLC? 

Second, the individual controllers look way too small to be used stand alone (i.e., for sharing... one in each hand looks just fine). 

Third, I might be off here, but is it me or did Zelda look kinda choppy when it was running on the handheld? When the guy was at home, playing it, it looked buttery smooth but while he was playing it on the handheld... it didn't look anywhere near as smooth. Like when that giant red goblin was sitting up, it did not look smooth. Obviously, this is not the final product but still, it kinda stuck out to me. 

I mean, it's exactly what the rumors said it would be. I'm not sold on the idea after seeing this video but at the very least, it does seem like Nintendo has a goal in mind so I'm curious to see more of it. I was wondering if they knew what they actually wanted to do, given how the supposed release date was months away and they haven't shown us anything. This video looks like concrete evidence of their vision. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Was thinking some attachment to let u play wii u games? Sucks that the will u hit rock bottom
The Wii U is dead, it's been dead awhile. The NX (I really hate the new name.) is the future and Wii won't be seen anywhere near it.

Splatoon will get a sequel or a Kingdoms Heart 1.567464 Version 56 style port. Mario Kart might be a port with added feature too. Mario Maker and Yoshi Yarn are being moved to the 3DS. Nintendo realized they made good games on a horrible system.

Super excited - the on-the-go totally fits the lifestyle of a commuter/mobile person with less and less time to spend sitting in front of a TV with scheduled time to play (i.e. me).  

I haven't bought a Nintendo machine day-one since the Gamecube (still bought the Wii and Wii U eventually).  The Switch is almost assuredly a day-one for me (and if not then, definitely WILL be getting one).  I just want some more details for a day-one.

I thought I'd buy Zelda on my Wii U, but now I think it will be with the Switch. 

Amen brother. Anyone know which is better? The wii or the ps3 move. Want to collect games (shooters and others) that uses the features of either the ps3 move or the wii controller. Which is more accurate?
Move is more accurate, but Wii obviously has a lot more content for motion control gaming.

This thing looks amazing for kids/adolescents.  Outside of that, I vary rarely would ever use a portable.  I think it is a really cool concept though and I'll get one of the first "limited editions" (especially if it is Zelda themed)...  If the specs and game line up is solid.  I'm amazed sometimes that Nintendo still chugs on.  Since the SNES, it's basically been generations of inferior systems marred with gimmicks and poor third party support.  That and the online infrastructure has been awful the whole way through.  The only thing holding it all together is the games, which everyone knows Nintendo first party games are magical.  This makes me wonder, why doesn't Nintendo just go third party and make games for the other consoles?  It would be great not having another system hooked up just to play Nintendo 1st party titles.  3rd Party titles have basically always been inferior on Nintendo consoles.

And this console is a tablet with detachable controllers.  Which has been done by android tablets a few times, to tremendous failure.  I think they are trying to especially cater to a niche, which may not even exist.  Are they trying to make a niche?  I don't know.  Either way, the success of this thing is going to largely fall on specs, first party titles, and price point.  We already know that multiconsole titles will either be nonexistant on the switch or greatly inferior if the specs fall short.  Plus, if that was Skyrim, who even cares at this point?  If you wanted portable skyrim, it was easily accessible with a laptop.  If you want it remastered and pretty, if the specs aren't on par with Xbone/PS4/low-mid range modern gaming pc, then Switch won't be the spot for it either.  I just don't see a huge market for the gimmick.

Nice roundup of additional Switch details

Key points:
- The dock is not the main console unit of Nintendo Switch (the screen/tablet unit is)
- The Switch can't play physical 3DS or Wii U games (and downloadable ones might not be supported, either)
- Switch comes with two Joy-Con controllers (also, the TV dock and controller holster have not yet been confirmed for inclusion in the standard package)
- Skyrim and NBA 2K are not actually confirmed for the system (some other third-party games have been, though)
- Switch will support Unreal Engine 4
- Switch will support Nintendo Amiibo figures

Anytime someone says "Nintendo needs to go 3rd party" I just think about Sega and Atari and the absolute garbage they put out after going third party to say "hell no I don't want that."

Also, Nintendo largely just doesn't compete in the same market as Sony and Microsoft. It's like comparing snowmobiles and ATVs. There's overlap for sure and a certain amount of competition between the 2 for consumers' disposable income but they're offering very different experiences/products.

Nice roundup of additional Switch details

Key points:
- The dock is not the main console unit of Nintendo Switch (the screen/tablet unit is)
- The Switch can't play physical 3DS or Wii U games (and downloadable ones might not be supported, either)
- Switch comes with two Joy-Con controllers (also, the TV dock and controller holster have not yet been confirmed for inclusion in the standard package)
- Skyrim and NBA 2K are not actually confirmed for the system (some other third-party games have been, though)
- Switch will support Unreal Engine 4
- Switch will support Nintendo Amiibo figures
No backward compatibility is a bummer and something we haven't seen missing on a Nintendo console since the GameCube (and never been omitted from a portable console from them) but it's understandable given the dramatic shift we're talking about here.

Personally, I'll just be happy if they bring over virtual console purchases of classic systems.

No backward compatibility is a bummer and something we haven't seen missing on a Nintendo console since the GameCube (and never been omitted from a portable console from them) but it's understandable given the dramatic shift we're talking about here.

Personally, I'll just be happy if they bring over virtual console purchases of classic systems.
Not a surprise. It's clear from that video that they were going OUT of their way to make sure Switch didn't remind anyone of the Wii U or the 3DS - i.e. 2-screen gaming. The fact that the hub covers up the screen speaks volumes about how much Nintendo wants to make sure consumers do not associate the Wii U and 3DS with it.

This is the same reason why there is no way the Switch will play 3DS games. That would just make it look like the Wii U, and that's not a risk Nintendo can take.

I've said I'm excited but I do realize this is a HUGE risk for Nintendo. Either this thing is a wild success or it's a burning turd. Sadly, I don't think there's much room for a middle-ground.

I know people keep saying Nintendo won't take a loss on the price, but I think we're going to be pleasantly surprised on that front. I think Nintendo well knows it has an uphill climb to sell enough of these to ensure third party support doesn't drop off completely 6-8 months in.

It would be awfully weird if Nintendo calls this the Switch and then sells the handheld on its own. That sort of defeats the entire name of the product. I can see two bundles, but one that includes the new Pro Controller and an EXTRA game packed in as a bundle. I think Nintendo bundles Mario the main system (this means handheld AND home hub) at $249. There is another bundle that also comes with the Pro controller and Zelda or Skyrim Remastered for $300.

Yeah, I know that sounds crazy, but if Nintendo is serious about making sure the Switch comes swinging out of the gate, it needs to rethink how it gets them in people's hands. That means taking a loss like Sony and Microsoft. With the PS Pro, the Scorpio, and probably PS5 not too far away, Nintendo has a small window here to make its case, and you only get one shot at the hype that comes with a console launch.

I like that the "Nintendo Switch Pro Controller" has offset stick.  It's about time.  They were clearly proud of it since they showed it about 5 times.  I agree with the others in this thread that complained that the attached controllers are too small.

If this console is really supposed to replace the 3DS then they need to have a $199 handheld version with the TV dock for another $99 sold separately because people with multiple kids don't need or want multiple docks.  If they insist on selling the entire thing as a bundle then it's doomed to failure.

If my kids both want to replace their 3DS's with Nintendo Switches for Christmas next year then I don't want to pay for 2 separate docks.  Hell, I might want one for myself so I can play it as a console.  In that situation I could potentially be forced to buy 3 docks which would be a massive waste of money (not to mention I'd have to start yet another stack of unused Nintendo accessories).

Overall I think it has potential but I doubt it has the durability required for kids to take on the go.  The screen also seems like a strange size.  Too small to be something I would want to play on yet too big to be easy to take on the go.  They're going to sell some absurd $50+ bag for this because it's not going to take up a lot of space in a bag and it will not have much battery life so you'll need to bring the cord with you.  Honestly, how long could a console running Skyrim possibly last when it's 1 inch thick?  Also, how heavy will this be?  Presumably the 2 mini-controllers on the side will also have their own battery packs since they're removable and usable.

I predict this will sell about what the Wii U did.  It might reach 20 million during it's lifetime.

I will be buying the Switdh day one just because I can play console level games when I am not at home. Usually on weekends I am visiting my GF and it will be awesome to be able to play Zelda or whatever over there.

With that said, I am excited for the system but I am excited for that reason. There have not been enough other games announced that has me champing at the bit to get one. Mario looks like it could be another fuck ing Mario 3D World dear god please stop and release a true 3D Mario edition. Although Nintendo always pulls through with great first party games so I am not worried at all.

Nintendo needs a few things with the switch. First is achievements. It's weird because I am not an achievement guy by any stretch of the means but it's nice to have a record of here is what I did in my games. Second they need a total online system that works. They also need exclusives. What the 3DS does well is niche Japanese game exclusives and the Switch needs them. I just don't want the switch to be a portable Xbox One, I want it to be something with unique different games to it.

Ditto. Like you, I've stock-piled most of the must-have titles for the system, but have only played it lightly. (on account of owning so many freaking games) I've actually done very well on collecting for the Wii U. Pretty much all of the critically-acclaimed titles are on my shelf. And every time that I do fire the system up, I really enjoy myself. It's just a matter of drowning in content, with the sheer size of my personal collection.
That's how I am with my Wii U. I bought it for Super Mario 3D World. I had a Wii before and, outside of a few good games, it mostly collected dust. The Wii U reminds me of the GameCube in that there are a lot of just fun games for it but it's kind of under appreciated.

I had a PS3, PS2, and PS1 and, when I go back and think of the games I went back and played on each of those console, there were only a handful. I really enjoyed the Crash Bandicoot series, God of War series, retro-games (Namco collections), and a few titles like Twisted Metal. Overall, though, my PS3 gathered dust just like my Wii. I think I played my PS2 a little more but it, too gathered dust.

I've generally enjoyed, and will go back and play games on, the old Nintendo systems. I'll still play Super Mario Bros., Super Mario World, etc. from time to time. So, when the Wii U came out and I saw Super Mario World 3D my main thought was, "I'll probably go back and play these, plus, I can do the whole VC thing for the older games which I had already done on the Wii so I could upgrade for $1-2 each and have a much nicer menu for playing them (folders and all that).

I didn't upgrade to a PS4 or XBox one this time. I just think they'd be dust collectors for me (not knocking those who love those systems, of course).

My thoughts on the Switch:

- I like the name. NX worked, too, but Switch is definitely a better name than the Wii U which confused everyone. I think it was a year or so in before I even realize the Wii U was a separate console. Granted, part of that was that my Wii was gathering dust and I wasn't paying too close attention to it but, still, it was a common problem.

- I don't see people actually using this as advertised. Most people I know really don't take their 3DS along with them. Granted, I don't have 100s of friends with 3DSes, but it's more like a "play at home in a chair, in bed, or on the toilet"-kind of device. Nothing wrong with that. It's great for when you're traveling and looking for something to do in a hotel but it's not something you're likely taking to the park or over to a friends house. I think, mostly, the Switch will be left at the TV, used in a chair ("The game is on!!"-situation), bed, or on the toilet. I think, for those who have it, they'll initially get together at someone's house once or twice to play the multiplayer games as shown but as a normal use, it's not going to happen (maybe some really hard-core Switch gamers will regularly do it but that's about it).

- It's the size of a tablet, which is cool, but people already have tablets and those tablets already have games. There's a point where people don't want to haul around a specific game device when they're already hauling their phone, tablet, laptop, etc.

- I really like the look of the device. I think it looks nice/modern/slick.

- I know people will do this but I don't think you really need to be overly concerned with the specs on it. The question should be, "Is it fun to play?," not, "Is the CPU faster than a PS4?"

- Contradicting the previous statement, just a bit, the specs should be enough to please people. There shouldn't be frame rate issues (not saying there are), there should be some kind of upgradable storage, etc. I think I heard it has an SD card slot which is great but if you like to get your games via download then you might start running into a space situation because larger SD cards are more expensive (1TB was recently revealed but it was something like $800 when I saw it) but, like everything, they'll come down in price so it's still a "win".

- Looks like they have 3rd party support this time. Win!

- I think the sliding on/off controllers is probably going to be more cumbersome than they show. You're going to get dirt/grime in that sliding track and it'll end up being something that you probably won't do. It's very minor but I think that the extra effort of dealing with it sort of gets in the way of the enjoyment of the machine/games. Sort of like when you get into a car that has bluetooth but, for whatever reason, your phone doesn't auto-connect to it so you have to go into the settings, find the bluetooth panel, connect it, and then go back out and open your music/podcast/streaming app. That's a very minor thing to have to deal with (1st world problem) but it's annoying enough to where you may lean more toward, "Screw it - I'll just listen to the radio.."

- The cartridges make more sense than optical media at this point but, I sort of think back to how we're all heading towards downloaded content which leads me back to the possibility of storage issues.

- People seem to generally think it'll come in around the $300 mark. From what I'm seeing, I bet it's $399. It may even go as high $450.

All that being said, I really hope this is a huge success for Nintendo.

For me, I'm going to do a wait-and-see sort of thing with this. If everyone I know ends up with one and seems to use it, I'll probably jump on board because that could be a lot of fun. I don't know how ready I am for another console, in general, though.

Not nearly enough people bought it because......

Most people didn't know what it was. Heard more than one parent in stores asking if it was just a Wii, did it add on the wii, was it just a tablet, and so on.

It had hardly any 3rd party support for games.

The battery life sucked in the tablet.

All of the first party games were just the same old franchises for the 56th time.

They confused people by selling tons of junk plastic toys for it like a football to put the controller in, a tennis racket to put the controller in, toy ammiibos that worked with it, stands for the ammiibos, wii controllers that worked with the wiiu, something that looked like a tablet but wasn't.

Pitiful online presence.

Took way to long for prices to drop.

Graphicaly inferior to even the ps4 or 360 that were older.

Personally this doesn't really interest me. It's the kind of thing I'll pick in a year or so when a bundle comes out and I'll get some first party titles but that's about it for me. I don't care about dragging a screen around with me, don't care about detachable controllers or any other gimmicks it has. I just want to play games and none of its features are anything I see as being a way to enhance my gaming experince.
I think that these are all great points.

I like the first party games and, yeah, you get a new Mario with each system but, at the same time, like you said, it feels like a lot of re-hashing of the same IPs - because that's exactly what it is.

I think that there's an industry-wide problem with the re-hashing of the same-old ideas. There's also a problem with junk games (Barbie (anything), Horsez, Pancake Maker (I don't know if that's an actual one but you get the idea)). There was about a decade, I'd say from roughly 2002-2012, where people were trying new, innovative ideas. Things like World of Goo, there was this game where you played as a shadow (recently saw a video on it, don't remember it's name), and Pikmin come to mind. Too often they look at, "What made us money last time?," and the next thing is, "Do another one of those!"

I don't think that the graphics mattered as much as you think. You may have in the back of your head, "Well, the PS4 can do X and the Wii U can't do that!," but that misses the point of just having fun playing games.

- It's the size of a tablet, which is cool, but people already have tablets and those tablets already have games. There's a point where people don't want to haul around a specific game device when they're already hauling their phone, tablet, laptop, etc.
That will be the Switch 2, where you can use your phone of tablet instead. There was already a huge amount of rumors that would even be the case this time. I think Nintendo knows that is coming and getting there in time.

Happy this thread exists!

Can't wait to snag a Switch, despite being burned by the Wii U. Some OK games on that ...

But this looks so cool.

FYI: Get alerted when it goes on sale for Best Buy here: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/clp/nintendo-switch/pcmcat1476977522176.c?id=pcmcat1476977522176&pageType=REDIRECT&issolr=1&searchRedirect=nintendo+switch&CMP=ocss

HOPES:

- A proper Metroid game, based on Prime.

- A Fire Emblem game with better graphics, more depth

- Third party support

- No VR support

- Xenoblade

EDIT:

Needs more Fire Emblem. Dig the Xenoblade!

https://imgur.com/a/B5BSO#EuRvvjQ

Made some theme designs by request, including Xenoblade, Star Fox, F-Zero, Pikachu N64....and Sanic

Also, here is an awesome FAQ completely ripped off from reddit:

FAQ

1. Q: What is the Nintendo Switch?

A: The Nintendo Switch is Nintendo's latest home console. The console itself is a tablet shaped device with detachable controllers on the left and right side of the screen. (Picture) The console can be placed into a dock which will then output the game video and audio to a television. (Picture 1) (Picture 2) The detachable side controllers officially known as Joy-Con can be removed and attached to a special grip controller to make it similar to a regular controller. (Picture)
  2. Q: Can I take the detachable screen and play my games anywhere?

A: Yes. The screen is the console itself and is not tethered to any other device or Internet connection. You can play the Nintendo switch on the train, on a bus or even while on an airplane.
  3. Q: What is the controller like?

A: There are 3-4 different ways to play the Nintendo switch controller wise. The Joy-Con are two small rectangular controllers that can be slid into the Joy-Con grip to play with traditional controller feel (Picture), held separately in both hands similar to the Wii Remote and Nunchuck (Picture) (motion controls have yet to be confirmed or denied.), or slid into the side of the screen to play games similar to the Wii U gamepad. (Picture) Both Joy-Con controllers can be turned sideways and split between two people to be used similar to traditional SNES controllers, but with joysticks instead of D-Pads. (Picture) In addition you can also play using The Nintendo Switch Pro Controller. (Picture) Whether the Pro controller will ship with the console or will need to be purchased separately is currently unknown.
  4. Q: Can the Pro controller be used when the Switch is undocked?

A: Yes, it looks like we can. This can be seen at 2:45 in the trailer.
  5. Q: When will the Nintendo Switch be released?

A: March 2017 is the official announcement made at the March 2016 Investors meeting, at E3 2016, and in the official reveal trailer. a specific date at this time is unknown.
  6. Q: How much will the console cost?

A: There has been no official announcement on the cost of the console or any part of it.
  7. Q: What games are coming out for the Nintendo Switch?

A: For a full list of game's that are announced, please visit the Wiki.
  8. Q: Why isn't Skyrim confirmed? I saw it in the trailer!

A: Bethesda has officially stated that The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is at this point in time, not officially announced for the Nintendo Switch. (Source Look at update 2)
  9. Q: What about other first or third party titles?

A: Once again any of the games not listed in question 7 are as of this point in time unconfirmed.
  10. Q: Isn't there a bunch of third party support for the Switch?

A: Yes. This does not however mean that any of them have actually announced any games for the system as of yet. For a list of all third party supporters, look here.
  11. Q: Will the console have any form of backwards compatibility with the Wii U or 3DS?

A: Nintendo has confirmed that the Nintendo Switch will not have any backwards compatibility with the physical media of the Wii U or Nintendo 3DS. (Source) Whether or not digital media will have any way of being transferred to the Nintendo Switch and played has yet to be seen.
  12. Q: Will you be able to download games through the Nintendo eShop like on previous consoles?

A: It is currently unknown whether or not The Nintendo Switch will have any downloadable games through the eshop or any other online store.
  13. Q: Will the Switch have Amiibo support?

A: Yes. "Absolutely. If a Nintendo Switch game supports Amiibo, then the Nintendo Switch home gaming system will as well." (Source)
  14. Q: How powerful is the Nintendo Switch compared to other game consoles?

This answer may contain some speculation or rumors. Please remember to take all speculations and rumors with a grain of salt.

A: At this time the only thing that is known for certain is that it will be using a custom Tegra processor made by NVIDIA, as well as an NVIDIA Graphical processing unit. (Source) We can however infer that it will be at least be slightly more powerful than the Wii U in terms of processing power as it is able to run the Unreal Engine 4, something the Wii U could not do. (Source)Apparently I got this wrong and the Unreal engine only requires support from the engine itself, not power.

With that being said, there are some outward physical features that we can make educated guesses about. Both controllers will feature a Left and Right analog stick1, a set of ABXY buttons on the right above the right analogue stick2, two shoulder buttons3 and two trigger buttons4, a plus and minus button5, a home button6, and a mysterious square button with a circle indentation inside of it7. We currently do not know what this mysterious square button does. The Pro controller will feature a D-Pad beneath the left analogue stick8, however the Joy-Con controller has replaced this with four arrow buttons reminiscent of the C buttons on the Nintendo 64 controller9. This was done so that when the Joy-Con controllers are split between two people both players have the same button layout. In addition both Joy-Con controllers feature an extra set of shoulder buttons when held sideways for two player games10.

The system itself is a tablet shaped device11 that can slide into a dock12 to charge it and play on the big screen. The device itself has at the top a slot and cover for game cartridges13, called game cards, a 3.5mm audio port14; and what appears to be a vent for heat15. On the back of the device a stand folds outwards to allow the console to stand up when set on a table for ease of play16. On the back of each Joy-Con controller this is a small release button used to release each controller from the console or grip unit17. On the side of the dock there appears to be two unknown ports18, though these look like they might be USB ports. On the back is an horizontal indentation19 that may be for cords such as power and video/audio output; or the indentation may be to allow for proper ventilation into the console itself.. On the bottom of the console itself, though very hard to see in any of the images or shots, there appears to be two more ports with at least one thought to be for charging the console itself20.

Anything else with regards to internal specs or external function at the time of writing this is unconfirmed.
  15. Q: Does this console support 4k? What resolution will the gamepad be at?

A: As stated in the question above we simply do not know any of the specs of the console. That includes what resolutions the console will be able to output.
  16. Q: Will there be support for component/RCA output like the Wii and Wii U?

A: We do not know at present. However, if the Nintendo Switch does only support HDMI it is possible to purchase an adapter to convert it to component/RCA.

This answer may contain some speculation or rumors. Please remember to take all speculations and rumors with a grain of salt.

EDIT: After watching the trailer a few more times I have noted that there appear to be only two cords coming from the dock in several different scenes, possibly being power and HDMI. While this does not necessarily confirm or deny anything I feel it is worth pointing out.
  17. Q: Does the Switch stream games like the NVIDIA Shield?

A: No, at least as far as we know. The closest thing The Nintendo Switch does to streaming is send video and audio output to a television or monitor when docked.
  18. Q: How long is the battery life of the Nintendo Switch?

A: Nintendo has not stated any details regarding the battery life of the Nintendo Switch. When asked they responded, "We will announce more hardware details later, but we are developing Nintendo Switch so that consumers can comfortably enjoy games away from home." (Source)
  19. Q: Will the console feature a touch screen?

A: Nintendo has opted not to say anything either way regarding a touch screen. "We have nothing to announce on this topic. We will make additional announcements about the Nintendo Switch hardware later, before the launch of the product." (Source)
  20. Q: Can the Switch do dual screen displays like the Wii U?

A: No. (Source)
  21. Q: What about glassesless 3D like the 3DS?

A: We do not know at this point. However due to the lack of a 3D slider and the extra battery drain this feature would cause most people assume that it will not.
  22. Q: Will the Switch replace the Wii U or 3DS?

A: Nintendo initially claimed the Nintendo Switch will not be replacing either the Wii U or 3DS back when it was still codenamed the NX (Source). Whether or not it will actually replace the 3DS or Wii U remains to be seen, but several people have noted that it is unlikely to replace the 3DS for the time being.
  23. Q: Will I have to repurchase my VC titles like on the Wii U?

A: Nintendo has not said anything about VC or downloadable games at this time. Simply put, we do not know.
  24. Q: Will the Switch have a system transfer feature like the Wii to the Wii U?

A: We do not know. Nintendo has not said anything on the matter at present.
  25. Q: Will the Switch be region locked?

A: We do not know whether or not it will be region locked at this point in time.
  26. Q: Will the switch support VR?

A: It is unknown at this point if the Nintendo Switch will support any form of VR.
  27. Q: Will the games have framerate issues? it looked like some of them did in the trailer.

A: While we don't know for sure, there is evidence to suggest the screen images were simulated and are not an accurate representation of the final product. Even if they are not simulated The Nintendo Switch is 5 months away from release. The trailer released on October 20th 2016 is not necessarily representative of how well the final product will work.

EDIT: I have found confirmation from one of the actors in the commercial that the game footage was indeed superimposed during post. (Source) The video has been removed unfortunately.

EDIT: /u/NameBrandSnacks Made a point in the comments that I also feel is worth mentioning on this matter.

The trailer should not be used to gauge whether or not the final product will be able to push out a stable framerate. You're shooting a 24FPS video capturing something going 30/60FPS. That doesn't divide well, so you're gonna get be losing frames to simulate a smooth moving object.

28. Q: How does the Switch upscale or improve its graphics while connected to the TV? Does the dock have an extra processor to help it render a better resolution?

A: As far as we know right now the Nintendo Switch Dock's main function is to charge the Nintendo Switch, and allow for output on a television. "The dock is not the main console unit of Nintendo Switch, The main unit of Nintendo Switch is the unit that has the LCD screen, which the two Joy-Con controllers can be attached to and detached from. The main function of the Nintendo Switch Dock is to provide an output to the TV, as well as charging and providing power to the system." (Source)

It is worth noting that many people think the wording of this quote may suggest that the dock gives added processing power to The Nintendo Switch. There is evidence to suggest this, as Nintendo has filed a patent with the concept (Source). We also do not know if Nintendo might release an additional unit to hook up to the dock, or an alternate dock that could have extra processing power in it.

As for how else the console might upscale or improve the graphical output, some people have suggested that it may be similar to most gaming laptops; The Nintendo Switch would under-clock its processing power when it is not in the dock, and bring up to its normal or maximum clocking potential when it is docked. This would allow The Nintendo Switch to natively output at a higher resolution rather than simply making it upscale the graphical output, which can cause it to look stretched and blurry.

Once again please keep in mind that both of these possibilities are just theories, and are in no way confirmed.
  29. Q: Will the switch have any online features?

A: According to the trailer the Nintendo Switch will have local wireless features allowing you to connect two or more devices to play multiplayer games with other Nintendo Switch owners. (Picture) Internet has not been confirmed as of yet but it is assumed that it will have some form of access to the internet for online play.
  30. Q: Will there be any bluetooth support?

A: Nintendo has not stated anything on specifications, and there is nothing suggesting the system will have any bluetooth functionality. At this point in time we simply do not know. If it turns out it does not support bluetooth natively it is possible to purchase a bluetooth transmitter for 3.5mm audio jacks online or at an electronic store.
  31. Q: What happens if I lose one or both of my Joy-Con controllers?

A: We don't know yet, but most people assume that Nintendo will provide a way of purchasing a replacement set, similar to if someone lost or damaged a Wii U gamepad.
  32. Q: How much internal storage will the Switch have? Will it also support external storage?

A: We do not know what the internal storage capacity of the Switch will be, or any other internal specs. Whether or not it supports external storage has yet to be seen.
  33. Q: Will there be any form of screen protector or case for the Switch? Will it still fit in the dock?

A: We do not know if it will have any screen protectors or cases at launch, or whether or not The Nintendo Switch will still fit in the dock with said protection on. Third party screen protectors and/or cases have not been announced yet either.
  34. Q: What kind of operating system with the Switch have? What will the main menu look like?

A: Nintendo has not shown anything with regards to the operating system or system menu. Previous Nintendo consoles have all had operating systems specifically for that console. The Nintendo Switch will most likely follow this pattern and have a specialized operating system specific for this console.
  35. Q: I heard we won't be hearing any more news until January of next year. Is this true? If not when will we hear more news?

Updated
    A: Yes. Nintendo has announced it will be streaming a live presentation of The Nintendo Switch on January 12th, 2017. (Official tweet) (Website)
  36. Q: Do you have to keep the stand upright? Can you lay it down sideways like you could with the Wii and Wii U?

A: We're not sure yet, but based on pictures of the console and dock, it looks like this may be possible.
  37. Q: Mr. So and so said that feature X was confirmed by a reliable source. Why haven't you fixed your FAQ to reflect this?

A: Probably because it's still unconfirmed. A lot of these leaks that most people talk about tend to come from one ore a few centralized sources of information which is why you might hear it a lot. I do my best to avoid anything unconfirmed or not at least glaringly obvious based on the trailer. There are still several sources out there that can be considered reliable with the leaked information they deliver, however until proper evidence can be shared with everyone, or it is confirmed by Nintendo or a 3rd party developer, it is still technically a rumor and should be taken with a grain of salt.

If you wish to take a look at some of the evidence regarding these leaks though, please take a look at this article written by Laura Kate Dale with regards to her posting some of that leaked information on Twitter prior to the reveal of The Nintendo Switch.
This became a lot longer than I expected. Please feel free to post any more questions, I'll update this post when I can.

EDIT: Added notes about speculation and rumors to some of my answers. Please remember to take all speculations and rumors with a grain of salt folks.

EDIT: An official FAQ is currently under construction. Please understand.

Nope, there were 2 GBA entries but that's it.
Yeah I have those too. I just skipped the hoe consoles since the GC and never had a DS. That's really annoying. It's one of Nintendo's best franchises and besides Mario Kart it's their only racing game.

My worries about the Switch's power are being cemented by Toys R Us in canada. They listed a price for the Switch. 329 canadian. Roughly 249.99USD. Nintendo's claims to be selling for a profit tell me this thing is going to be strapped technologically. I hope this is wrong.

Have Metroid, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Zelda all ready at launch and the Switch will literally print money. 

EDIT: Also add extremely limited CE and LE that include cheap plastic stuff and mark those up to the max. 

I'm not too concerned about how powerful the console is.  I played through Mario Galaxy 2 a month ago and it still looked amazing.  I hope the rumors are true about Pokemon Sun/Moon and Mario Galaxy 3 because that would be pretty cool.   

Have Metroid, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Zelda all ready at launch and the Switch will literally print money.

EDIT: Also add extremely limited CE and LE that include cheap plastic stuff and mark those up to the max.
Zelda has been delayed, which, if true, Nintendo should just delay the whole launch of the system for 3-4 months until the game is ready. Or just release a half finished game and then in 3-4 months make a massive patch for it, that's what everyone else does these days.

So when do we think preorders are going to open up on this? I'm hoping some time in January. Praying I can get one at Gamestop to use trade credit on and be able to pickup in store.

So when do we think preorders are going to open up on this? I'm hoping some time in January. Praying I can get one at Gamestop to use trade credit on and be able to pickup in store.
I gotta believe that January press conference (or is it a direct?) will end with "and you can preorder the switch starting today at these retailers."

So what store(s) typically have the best "arrangement" for pre-orders? I'm talking mostly about when they charge the card or place a hold on your card for how long or keep doing a test charge again and again (which i what I think Best Buy does)...

You can sign up for alerts from best buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/clp/nintendo-switch/pcmcat1476977522176.c?id=pcmcat1476977522176&pageType=REDIRECT&issolr=1&searchRedirect=nintendo+switch&CMP=ocss

EDIT* If you end up signing up for the alerts you have to stop what you're doing for one second and wish me good karma.

This isn't 100% confirmed yet, but the story originated on Eurogamer which has been fairly reliable about these sorts of reports/rumors. Fingers crossed!

If it is true, I hope there's some third-party games as well. Dreamcast on Virtual Console would be pretty sweet as well. All I'm saying is that I'd really like to see Skies of Arcadia in some form on Switch ;)

Would be interesting to see GC games on Switch, though I wonder how pricing will work... not to mention controls. Something about playing GC games using a GC controller just feels so... right. 

Speak of controls, I'm not fully set on the Switch controller (the big one or the little Joycons). I never really cared for any of the controllers for the Wii or Wii U. Obviously, I haven't held it myself so I won't know for sure, but the button/stick placement don't look all that comfortable. 

They're trying to stack the deck with this one. Having Smash Bros Melee available on the Switch from the beginning would be a pretty huge boon. Emulated GameCube titles still look good, and play great. A title like Melee is going to make the Switch seem much more appealing to consumers who grew up in the GameCube era.

As to marketing, showing up to the Tonight Show is the sort of thing Nintendo needs to be doing to get the word out about their next system.

bread's done
Back