Nintendo Switch Preorder Thread 2.0

I'm surprised no one has specifically mentioned Hard Mode, or maybe I missed it. Locking a difficulty behind DLC is something not even EA, Activision, or Ubisoft has pulled to my knowledge. I have no problem with DLC in general, but that is bush league.
Yeah, locking hard mode behind the season pass paywall is the only thing I have problem with. I don't really care about the Day One DLC, as that just offers three extra chests and a special set of clothes. (Whoo-hoo?) And I'm actually excited about being able to get the dungeon maps in the summer (which I suppose will be similar to the challenge maps from the Arkham games), and especially to be able to get extra story content in the fall. Those two content packs are all good, and $20 isn't a bad price for that, imo. But locking out hard mode is a douchey thing to do. That's the only thing I don't like. While this won't me affect me personally as I'm going to get the season pass later on to get this extra content, I still don't like the precedent this sets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you elaborate on this or link the article? I couldn't find anything about this, and I'm curious if they will somehow block my damn phone for using Discord while I'm playing Splatoon 2 instead of their dumb app.
giphy.gif

Look up opportunity costs. Everything costs something. Even your time is worth something. Therefore if you spend time looking for games to flip and driving around to flip them you paid with your time.

Spend less time flipping games. Spend more time paying attention in school.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Meh, Im doing quite good myself. Thank you for your concern. An hours worth of packaging for ~$100 of flips is good enough for me.

I understand what you mean. Not spending real cash is always my goal and I consider it free minus the time I put into it. Which over the past couple years has come much easier to spend less time and effort once I understand the system
I also did the same thing you did, started with GameStop credit boomeranging then put it into Amazon and now I have time to make one last push back to GameStop. I'll have more Amazon credit left over though so it was worth it.

What are you using to boomerang the Amazon credit back to Gamestop? I am in the same boat as you

So Nintendo put up this new Ad up:

[media]https://youtu.be/KNST_AtBb8I[/media]

They show FIFA 18 gameplay & it turns out it might be closer to the PS3 version as it was rumored.

(For those of you who dont know, A reporter claimed a Dev told him that the FIFA SWITCH version would be based off the

PS3 or XBOX 360 version. Then EA contacted that reporter on twitter and claimed it was a "CUSTOM BUILT version"... w/e that means)

I made this quick lil PS3 FIFA 17 / PS4 FIFA 17 & Switch Comparison:

XB88P5K.jpg

It's pretty telling that the Switch version will be running the old PS3 engine which may be "customed" but it'll look and play sluggish compared to the PS4 version since that newer engine is way better. 

What are you using to boomerang the Amazon credit back to Gamestop? I am in the same boat as you
Controllers, Nintendo games (smash Bros, Zelda oot and Pokemon alpha) and prime now. At this point it's about breaking even back to GameStop. I've stocked up on AWD controllers over the past weeks also when they pop up. So hopefully that will be enough to get me where I need to be.

Really can't move credit though until the values update tomorrow at GameStop, until then everything I have is just breaking even. I hope, those Nintendo games dropping in value is the absolute biggest drawback

It's pretty telling that the Switch version will be running the old PS3 engine which may be "customed" but it'll look and play sluggish compared to the PS4 version since that newer engine is way better.
Since it's custom made, it might run just as good as the PS4 version. It just might not be as pretty.

(Just looking at it glass half-full. You might be right.)

Other than the new story content, this is what I'm really excited for in the DLC:

"DLC Pack 1" arrives this summer. It'll add a new Cave of Trials challenge (an increasingly difficult set of dungeon floors filled with enemies to clear)

Loved the Arkham challenge maps, and the Infamous: First Light challenge stages, so this is going to be right up my alley.

Really hope there's a rankings system in place so you can compare your scores with friends, plus global rankings, too.

Still, what are the chances of this unlikely scenario? Even Twilight Princess wasn't a BAD Zelda game. The quality standards of the Zelda franchise places those titles head-and-shoulders above most other games. Breath of the Wild will most likely be mediocre at the very worst, it will probably never end up being out-and-out BAD.
These may be fighting words to some, but I thought Twilight Princess was a better game than either Wind Walker or Skyward Sword. Both of those games had extremely tedious travel (especially the sailing, my god the sailing) and the motion controls were at times awful in SS. (Particularly when controlling that flying beatle looking thing).

The $25 off $100 Visa Checkout is live on Best Buy again.  I re-bought my Pro Controller and Puyo to get the discount.

Performance may be good, but as stated, it won't look as nice, but I expected this the moment EA was on stage talking about bringing this game to Switch. Just like Street Fighter from Capcom, EA is offering the lowest risk title that they can, with the least amount of cost and effort. Once both of these titles sale just OK, they will both say how they want to support the NS, but since these games didn't produce as expected, they will not. Then they have saved face with "N", by offering support, and in the likely hood the future changes for them, no bridges have been burned.

No hardcore SF or FIFA fans are going to spend much time with either title, when there are much better versions, and cheaper costing games on other consoles. For "N" fans who may not have access to those versions, this is great, but in the end, without offering the best possible games, it's unlikely to sale the best it could. This is the sad reality "N" must face, and charging console pricing for their new system, and for older or lesser games, just isn't doing any favors to their current market situation. So I hope both games are priced in the $40 and under range.

I think the reason why some developers have trouble selling titles on Nintendo systems is because they half ass it and don't offer anything that you can't get somewhere else. I don't care about FIFA or soccer in general, but a new Mario Strikers game would sell over 1 million copies.

I think the reason why some developers have trouble selling titles on Nintendo systems is because they half ass it and don't offer anything that you can't get somewhere else. I don't care about FIFA or soccer in general, but a new Mario Strikers game would sell over 1 million copies.
Sadly, in the past "N" hasn't offered the best hardware for most 3rd parties to reach the greatest amount of consumers. Both SF and FIFA need good online, proper voice chat, etc. I have many friends who loved to play Goldeneye back in the day, but when it comes to proper mulitplayer online now, "N" doesn't get a second look.

These are the things that needed to change from the ground up and get involved with 3rd parties, and while it looks like they are finally trying, no big publishing company is going to waste time, effort and money on a system that is due to release in a few weeks, and the online aspect is still rather cloudy. I really don't think "N" has thought much about it, as if they had, they would have explained in great details, and shown everyone how they have changed. The more information released, the more confusing it appears to be.

I can't blame anyone for giving "N" console lesser games, as it would be a fools errand to spend millions to make the best game possible, when it would still sale poorly due to the perceived limitations of the hardware it's being released on. The Wii U had tons of ports from PS3/360, and while some where good, and some a little not so good, the issue was paying full retail for lesser games that where cheaper, and often better elsewhere. The NS is going to be facing the same uphill climb with games along side the ONE/PS4.

Oh man, I would pre-order a new Mario Strikes day 1. The gamecube game is so much better than the wii one, but I still love those games. Is the mini version of it on 3ds any good?

Also, everybody make sure to head over to the Best Buy Visa Checkout thread and save more on your preorders!

Sadly, in the past "N" hasn't offered the best hardware for most 3rd parties to reach the greatest amount of consumers. Both SF and FIFA need good online, proper voice chat, etc. I have many friends who loved to play Goldeneye back in the day, but when it comes to proper mulitplayer online now, "N" doesn't get a second look.

These are the things that needed to change from the ground up and get involved with 3rd parties, and while it looks like they are finally trying, no big publishing company is going to waste time, effort and money on a system that is due to release in a few weeks, and the online aspect is still rather cloudy. I really don't think "N" has thought much about it, as if they had, they would have explained in great details, and shown everyone how they have changed. The more information released, the more confusing it appears to be.

I can't blame anyone for giving "N" console lesser games, as it would be a fools errand to spend millions to make the best game possible, when it would still sale poorly due to the perceived limitations of the hardware it's being released on. The Wii U had tons of ports from PS3/360, and while some where good, and some a little not so good, the issue was paying full retail for lesser games that where cheaper, and often better elsewhere. The NS is going to be facing the same uphill climb with games along side the ONE/PS4.
What is "N"?

You are focusing on the completely wrong element. Having the "best" version of a game does not insure sales. It never has. This is true for having the most powerful hardware as well. Having the "superior" version of a game has never been a guarantee of success. The general consumer doesn't necessarily purchase the best version of a given title. Of course, the general consumer also doesn't have the option of which version of a game they're going to buy. They buy the version for the console they own. The majority of consumers don't own more than one console.

Nintendo's challenge is not in trying to chase rendering power, but in convincing enough people to take a risk on the Switch to establish a user-base that 3rd party developers can't ignore. Having the "best" version of multi-platform games doesn't even come into the equation. The PS4 didn't launch off shelves by having the best versions of multi-platform games. (even though, by and large, it did have the best versions) It flew off of store shelves thanks to Microsoft's incompetence and a $100 cheaper price-tag. Having the best versions of games was a happy coincidence largely predicated by Sony's initial hardware designs for the system.

Oh man, I would pre-order a new Mario Strikes day 1. The gamecube game is so much better than the wii one, but I still love those games. Is the mini version of it on 3ds any good?

Also, everybody make sure to head over to the Best Buy Visa Checkout thread and save more on your preorders!
At the risk of exposing my idiocy, do you (or anyone else) know what'll happen if my GCU membership happens to expire before a game I preordered releases? I think mine goes kaput next January and while it's safe to assume Fire Emblem Warriors and Mario Odyssey will be out by then, I figured it'd be best to be sure. Trying to google an answer has been surprisingly unhelpful.

At the risk of exposing my idiocy, do you (or anyone else) know what'll happen if my GCU membership happens to expire before a game I preordered releases? I think mine goes kaput next January and while it's safe to assume Fire Emblem Warriors and Mario Odyssey will be out by then, I figured it'd be best to be sure. Trying to google an answer has been surprisingly unhelpful.
If you preordered in store then discount for the game isn't taken off till you pick it up. If you did it online Best Buy doesn't actually charge your card till it ships so I would assume the same thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the Wii U ports help my point. It's the third party developers, not Nintendo who don't know how to make games that cater to Nintendo's audience. Who the hell cares if Wii U has Assassin's Creed 3 or Mass Effect 3? The Nintendo gamer wants something you can't get anywhere else, not a port of a PS3 game.

If EA wants to release the same game every year with updated rosters on the Xbox One, the bro gamers will eat it up. If EA tries that crap on the NS, it will fail.

:eek: I wonder when they'll restock or if it's gonna be like the classic nes and amiibo launches..
Don't forget the massive 3DS shortages over the holidays. Honestly, I can't say what the supply/demand breakdown is going to look like in three-four weeks. I think Nintendo intends to show up for the supply. I think that is part of why they've been short on other hardware recently, they've been devoting all of their manufacturing to prepare for the Switch launch. We will likely see somewhere on the order of 2 million units between launch and the end of April. Under most normal circumstances this would probably be enough to balance out the usual demand for early adopters.

The big question mark is the exposure the Switch has gotten with the broader public thanks to Nintendo's marketing. Word-of-mouth from early adopters will also significantly effect demand. (for good or ill) If demand spikes, supply could be short, even with a decent number of units available. If demand is flat or drops off, you will have Switch units sitting unpurchased on store shelves. At this point you might as well flip a coin. The main determiner is an audience that is notoriously difficult to read when it comes to video games. The long-time Nintendo fans will show up, but they are a smaller quantity, and some have already been satiated by the NES Classic. (that sweet, sweet nostalgia) The question mark hanging over the whole thing is if anyone else will show up.

I think the Wii U ports help my point. It's the third party developers, not Nintendo who don't know how to make games that cater to Nintendo's audience. Who the hell cares if Wii U has Assassin's Creed 3 or Mass Effect 3? The Nintendo gamer wants something you can't get anywhere else, not a port of a PS3 game.

If EA wants to release the same game every year with updated rosters on the Xbox One, the bro gamers will eat it up. If EA tries that crap on the NS, it will fail.
I didn't know you spoke for every Nintendo gamer...

I didn't know you spoke for every Nintendo gamer...
There are 14 games on Wii U that have sold over 1 million copies. Not one of them is a PS3 port. There are 18 games on Wii that have sold over 5 million copies and none of them are PS2 ports or multi platform. Perhaps I'm misreading the market, but I don't think gamers on these platforms are there to buy ports.

There are 14 games on Wii U that have sold over 1 million copies. Not one of them is a PS3 port. There are 18 games on Wii that have sold over 5 million copies and none of them are PS2 ports or multi platform. Perhaps I'm misreading the market, but I don't think gamers on these platforms are there to buy ports.
How long had most of these games been available on other systems before being ported? When you give someone a year+ to get a game on another system, those that really wanted to play it probably have by then.

I mean I own a Xbox One, Wii U (possibly soon to be Switch), and PS4, I see you own a PS4. If you had the option of buying only one console that had all third party on it, you choose based on first party titles, which system would you get first? Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo?

To me they only target their most hardcore Nintendo fans if the person can only own 1 system. Those with the disposable income may own any number of them, but people wanting a system to see the quality/quantity will go with one of the other.

Maybe they will have another hit like the Wii, but I still think this isn't as easy of a sale as it was to families and others.

Well, that's my point. Nobody comes to their systems for those types of games, and 3rd parties are never going to spend the time and resources for new and unique games, when they won't sale. There best option is quick and easy ports.

Rockstar made one of the best DS games around, with GTA: China Town Wars, and no one bought it. Quality and unique titles still don't mean much when "N" refuses to get away from the "family" vibe. They can have all kinds of protection in place, but they still go one step further by trying to protect the few, at the cost of the many. I have an 11 year old, and I love the systems they have in place on the Wii U & 3DS, but why have such good protection, when your still policing everything, and censoring? What's the point?

If consumers are paying for online now, they want at least the same experience they can get elsewhere, not a gimped version to protect a child, when any parent doing their job, can set the system up to prevent that anyway, so all it does is drive off potential buyers that just want a comparable experience to what they can have with Sony/MS.

You are focusing on the completely wrong element. Having the "best" version of a game does not insure sales. It never has. This is true for having the most powerful hardware as well. Having the "superior" version of a game has never been a guarantee of success. The general consumer doesn't necessarily purchase the best version of a given title. Of course, the general consumer also doesn't have the option of which version of a game they're going to buy. They buy the version for the console they own. The majority of consumers don't own more than one console.

Nintendo's challenge is not in trying to chase rendering power, but in convincing enough people to take a risk on the Switch to establish a user-base that 3rd party developers can't ignore. Having the "best" version of multi-platform games doesn't even come into the equation. The PS4 didn't launch off shelves by having the best versions of multi-platform games. (even though, by and large, it did have the best versions) It flew off of store shelves thanks to Microsoft's incompetence and a $100 cheaper price-tag. Having the best versions of games was a happy coincidence largely predicated by Sony's initial hardware designs for the system.
I agree, I wasn't saying because their versions where inferior, that's why they didn't sale, but in regards to the comment about the Wii U having poor ports. I was just giving an explanation of why that is. Ports good are bad, is all most 3rd parties are willing to sacrifice on "N" home consoles, and that is never going to change unless the user base gets to the magic number(whatever it may be), and it won't happen without good games from 3rd parties as well.

There where some cool and unique titles on the Wii, like Mad World and Zak & Wiki that used the motion controls well, and still sold poorly, for no their reason than they where on a "N" system. I haven't bought a home console from them for 3rd parties since the GC, and that was the start of developers going more to Xbox and PS2. As even if they release 3 identical games, across all 3 systems, it was a good chance the GC version was going to sale the least, just due to public perceptions.

I agree there are many things that need to be addressed and fixed for 3rd parties to come to the NS and spend the proper funds on cool and unique games, but sadly, I haven't really seen any real meaningful changes that will make that happen, at least so far.

No hardcore SF or FIFA fans are going to spend much time with either title, when there are much better versions, and cheaper costing games on other consoles.
Ultra Street Fighter 2 is exclusive to the Switch. Time will tell how it's received if it is indeed the best version of SF2, but I think if old fans come back to the franchise and bring their Switch systems to work/etc and challenge other people... this could be a massive resurgence for fighting games on the market. And you are crazy if you think the diehard SF2 fans aren't interested in trying the latest version. YES they will be skeptical, as they should be due to past missteps, but there is a very solid chance this could become the version even the diehards get involved with. ESPECIALLY if this version brings in a bunch of new players. It's great to have a series and be dedicated to it, but gamers will still flock to something new if it proves popular enough. The last thing they want is to become irrelevant to the franchise they love so much.

Maybe they'll advertise more towards the Holiday season, which is when the Switch will have a great selection of games.
I'd imagine with pre-orders sold out it's pretty pointless to advertise the system very much right now. After it launches, advertising will surely spike. Of course word of mouth is going to be a major factor ... and it may save Nintendo a lot of money over traditional advertising.

I mean I own a Xbox One, Wii U (possibly soon to be Switch), and PS4, I see you own a PS4. If you had the option of buying only one console that had all third party on it, you choose based on first party titles, which system would you get first? Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo?
I can answer that question easily, as I have an empirical example. I bought the Wii U first. And I bought the PS4 second. Of course, I bought them both at launch. (and the Wii U launched earlier in the U.S. than the PS4)

Slightly more to the point you're trying to make, I very much purchased the PS4 with the intention of getting most of my third-party titles on it. (as opposed to either the Wii U or Xbox One) And that is exactly how the situation played out. Almost all of my third-party multi-platform titles are on the PS4.

The one problem with your theory is that I'm not a typical consumer. Far from it, I'm a video game fanatic who obsessively follows the gaming industry. I knew EVERYTHING that was going on surrounding all of the consoles long before they came out. I had picked which console I thought would be the "winner" in terms of marketshare and mindshare before I purchased any of them. And I was right. The PS4 currently stands head and shoulders above the competition, with a healthy lead in sales and a well-established hardware platform for selling software titles to.

But the general consumer doesn't know a fraction of what I'm familiar with when it comes to video games. They also don't care. That's why the PS2 was able to lead its generation, despite having inferior hardware. That's why the Wii was able to sell 100 million units in record time. The market for games is larger and more varied than most people realize. When you just look at it from the Madden-loving bro perspective, it is easier to boil it down to which platform will be best for the latest NFL-licensed title. Stretch out the market that you're targeting, and things get murkier, more uncertain. The Switch could easily end up a Wii-U style failure, or a Wii-style success story. We just can't know at this point because no one has a firm handle on the market segments that will ultimately determine success or failure. The Madden/Call of Duty bros made their decisions years ago, and aren't going to be changing their minds any time soon. Attempting to go after that market is a lost cause, and I can't blame Nintendo for giving them up for lost.

Ultra Street Fighter 2 is exclusive to the Switch. Time will tell how it's received if it is indeed the best version of SF2, but I think if old fans come back to the franchise and bring their Switch systems to work/etc and challenge other people... this could be a massive resurgence for fighting games on the market. And you are crazy if you think the diehard SF2 fans aren't interested in trying the latest version. YES they will be skeptical, as they should be due to past missteps, but there is a very solid chance this could become the version even the diehards get involved with. ESPECIALLY if this version brings in a bunch of new players. It's great to have a series and be dedicated to it, but gamers will still flock to something new if it proves popular enough. The last thing they want is to become irrelevant to the franchise they love so much.

I'd imagine with pre-orders sold out it's pretty pointless to advertise the system very much right now. After it launches, advertising will surely spike. Of course word of mouth is going to be a major factor ... and it may save Nintendo a lot of money over traditional advertising.
I'm a HUGE SF fan, and have been since the OG Arcade version. The NS game while exclusive to the NS, is a base game that was released on the PS3/360 ages ago, and cost $15 when it was released I believe.

SF fans are playing SF4 or SF5, and are not going to be worried about playing a slightly upgraded version of a game released in 2008. I played the hell out of that game back then, being on the NS is rather limiting the fighting pool of players greatly compared to SF4 and SF5 that can be played across many different systems with millions of players worldwide.

Hell, the 3DS got a better SF game than this is. And SF HD is a good game, in the same way RE4 was a good game, a decade ago.

People buy these systems to play Nintendo games.  Not crappy last gen ports of sports and action games.  It's all about the unique Nintendo gaming experiences.  And so far, all we have is Zelda (Which doesn't require buying a new Switch to play, mind you). The Bomberman release is cool too, but that's not enough.  Right now, this launch is shaping up to be a mirror of the Wii U launch.  Initial units get sold, followed by a bunch of remorse and returns. 

Nintendo needs to focus more on uniquely Japanese games; things that aren't offered on other systems.  Like Dreamcast, Saturn, PSP, and Vita.  Nintendo could be the go-to home for the Yakuza franchise if they played their cards right.  Things like that.  Look at all the games that are coming out for Vita and emulate that model.  Be the Japanese powerhouse that they can be.  Nintendo acts like they don't care what the competition is doing and then half of what they offer are all these crappy versions of games that have already been out for years.  Oooh wow Skyrim.  That came out in 2011 ffs. 

The next unique system movers aren't coming out until the end of 2017 at the earliest with Super Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade Chronicles 2.  I don't think Odyssey looks great and not that many people buy Xenoblade either. 

I absolutely want a Switch but they don't deserve my money right now.  I have to keep reminding myself of these types of things or else I will cave and buy one.  Nintendo needs to be doing a better job.  The thought of possible hardware revisions scares the shit out of me as well. 

People buy these systems to play Nintendo games. Not crappy last gen ports of sports and action games. It's all about the unique Nintendo gaming experiences. And so far, all we have is Zelda. The Bomberman release is cool too, but that's not enough. Right now, this launch is shaping up to be a mirror of the Wii U launch. Initial units get sold, followed by a bunch of remorse and returns.

Nintendo needs to focus more on uniquely Japanese games; things that aren't offered on other systems. Like Dreamcast. Nintendo could be the go-to home for the Yakuza franchise if they played their cards right. Things like that. Look at all the games that are coming out for Vita and emulate that model. Be the Japanese powerhouse that they can be. Nintendo acts like they don't care what the competition is doing and then half of what they offer are all these crappy versions of games that have already been out for years. Oooh wow Skyrim. That came out in 2011 ffs.

The next unique system movers aren't coming out until the end of 2017 at the earliest with Super Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I don't think Odyssey looks great and not that many people buy Xenoblade either.

I absolutely want a Switch but they don't deserve my money right now. I have to keep reminding myself of these types of things or else I will cave and buy one. Nintendo needs to be doing a better job. The thought of possible hardware revisions scares the shit out of me as well.
Don't forget Splatoon, that's likely to be a system seller as well. I personally know at least a few people waiting for it to launch to get a Switch.

I also think Mario Kart 8 will help, even if only slightly. So many fans of the series didn't get a chance to play it because they didn't know the Wii U existed/didn't want one.

Yeah I definitely think Marikart 8 Deluxe as well as a Super Smash Brothers port would move more systems than any of those other things.   You'd have to think that Smash Bros is in the works. 

being on the NS is rather limiting the fighting pool of players greatly compared to SF4 and SF5 that can be played across many different systems with millions of players worldwide.
I am actually willing to concede your general argument for many games. But not for Street Fighter. (and by extension, other 1x1 fighting games)

The best way to play Street Fighter is NOT online. It has never been best online, and never will be best online. 1 versus 1 fighting games are best played locally, and always will be. The Street Fighter being released for the Switch is a no-brainer, as it will be one of the easiest titles to pull out and play locally with your friends. Everyone knows Street Fighter. You get this controller, I get this controller, and now we argue over which character we're NOT allowed to play as. The Switch is almost tailor-made for this kind of local multiplayer experience.

I don't want to play fighting games with millions of random strangers on-line. I want to play it with my friends and family. Ideally they would be close enough for me to punch them in the shoulder when they get a particularly brutal win on me. When I win, I want to crow and march around the room with my arms in the air, savoring the look of chagrin on their faces as I rub it in. I want to be able to take my Switch over to my sister's house, and show my nephew how this fighting game thing is done.

Faceless on-line play is not a draw for me with fighting games. Being able to take that local multiplayer experience with me (with a certain degree of convenience) is. I'm fairly certain that I'm not alone. Not everyone wants to compete on-line with a world full of elite framecounters. Most of us just want to have some fun with scrubs like ourselves.

Nintendo could physically publish Ys games, Valkyria Chronicles, and the Legend of Heroes series.  How hard would that even be?  Those games are all on Steam now and doing well.  Sure none of those games sell a ton of units, but the Switch would instantly become the go-to platform for some of the best handheld franchises.  Nintendo could build their devout cornerstone install base without even much effort.  They should really focus on merging their efforts with Sega and Falcom. 

Nintendo's downfall is that they are way too preoccupied with their own mascots and franchises that they fail to see the forest for the trees.   Additional developer partners could create the next Metroid-like niches of megahype. 

I can answer that question easily, as I have an empirical example. I bought the Wii U first. And I bought the PS4 second. Of course, I bought them both at launch. (and the Wii U launched earlier in the U.S. than the PS4)

Slightly more to the point you're trying to make, I very much purchased the PS4 with the intention of getting most of my third-party titles on it. (as opposed to either the Wii U or Xbox One) And that is exactly how the situation played out. Almost all of my third-party multi-platform titles are on the PS4.

The one problem with your theory is that I'm not a typical consumer. Far from it, I'm a video game fanatic who obsessively follows the gaming industry. I knew EVERYTHING that was going on surrounding all of the consoles long before they came out. I had picked which console I thought would be the "winner" in terms of marketshare and mindshare before I purchased any of them. And I was right. The PS4 currently stands head and shoulders above the competition, with a healthy lead in sales and a well-established hardware platform for selling software titles to.

But the general consumer doesn't know a fraction of what I'm familiar with when it comes to video games. They also don't care. That's why the PS2 was able to lead its generation, despite having inferior hardware. That's why the Wii was able to sell 100 million units in record time. The market for games is larger and more varied than most people realize. When you just look at it from the Madden-loving bro perspective, it is easier to boil it down to which platform will be best for the latest NFL-licensed title. Stretch out the market that you're targeting, and things get murkier, more uncertain. The Switch could easily end up a Wii-U style failure, or a Wii-style success story. We just can't know at this point because no one has a firm handle on the market segments that will ultimately determine success or failure. The Madden/Call of Duty bros made their decisions years ago, and aren't going to be changing their minds any time soon. Attempting to go after that market is a lost cause, and I can't blame Nintendo for giving them up for lost.
So that kind of is my point, if Nintendo had all or even most 3rd party support would you have bothered buying a second system? I believe there are a majority of families and individuals who do not have the disposable income to own more then one system, hence if proper 3rd party support were there it bring more people to the system.

Nintendo could physically publish Ys games, Valkyria Chronicles, and the Legend of Heroes series. How hard would that even be?

Additional developer partners could create the next Metroid-like niches of megahype.
You're...actually you're right. Nintendo should definitely do all of those things. While they didn't exactly have the BEST track record with some of their "partnerships" on the Wii-U, most of those team-ups did actually result in some pretty good games. They don't exactly have a bad relationship with Sega at the moment, so getting cozy with them to get titles like Valkyria Chronicles ported over wouldn't be a bad idea. PC-ported Japanese RPGs like Ys and the Legend of Heroes series would also be a good idea. With PC ports already translated, the actual development expense would be much smaller, and would help to fill in a potentially valuable niche. Offering to partner with Falcom and Sega on publishing a few of their more niche titles is a great suggestion.

Let's hope that something along those lines happens sooner or later. Dragon-Quest ports for the 3DS are nice, but I wouldn't mind seeing a few more publishing partnerships on the Switch from companies other than Square Enix.

bread's done
Back