Nintendo Switch Preorder Thread 2.0

People preorder the Special Edition because in the end they really like Zelda or Collector's editions. They know they will eventually get the Switch, just not right now. The Special Edition isn't coming back so got to snag it now unless you want to pay eBay prices.

It's not so much the contents as it is having the "complete" version. The case is pretty nifty though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Though I will say I'm a little surprised at how many people seem to be pre-ordering the Zelda Special Edition. I know it will probably have a lower quantity run than some other special editions from some other developers/publishers. But still, what is in it that has everyone so hot and bothered? I just pre-ordered the regular edition of Breath of the Wild, and didn't have any real interest in the Special Edition. You're not the only person I've seen who is pre-ordering the Zelda Special Edition despite the fact that you don't intend to get the system at launch. What is in it that has you frothing to acquire it so badly?
Totally valid question and I totally get why some people don't get why people like me do this.

Just click "See my trade list" to see the sort of collection I have. A Zelda BOTW SE that will be limited is something I want in that collection. I also know for a 100% fact I will eventually get the system in the future.

But to each their own!

I cannot comprehend, not a million, billion years, how some people prefer digital games versus having the physical copy. Yes, there is convenience to having digital, but man, that just sounds like the dumbest thing in the world to me. Although that is how I feel, I do not care how others spend their money -- so let them bask in digital glory!

To me, it comes down to choice, and choice is a good thing. In regards to my Zelda BOTW SE PO, I have chosen to purchase it. And then, for reasons unknown, I will likely put it in my closet with some other high end value games that are located in a secure plastic bin.

Yea. I don't know either. =D

EDIT: Further clarification on my weird collecting habits: After wanting Ogre Battle March of the Black Queen for the longest time for the SNES, I finally got a great looking copy. I have every intention to play it, but as it stands right now, the game itself is located in our second bedroom, in the TV stand, next to a bunch of books and no other video games. It's just laying unevenly there for some reason. And I don't know how it ended up there, either.

One day, however, I plan to retire and play all the games in my collection. That's my retro backlog haha.

You're not the only person I've seen who is pre-ordering the Zelda Special Edition despite the fact that you don't intend to get the system at launch. What is in it that has you frothing to acquire it so badly?
then this

I got my copy of the Zelda art book in the mail yesterday. 400+ pages of Zelda art, hardback, including the original illustrations of all of the enemies and bosses from the original game manuals. (a personal nostalgic favorite for me)
lol.

(shrug) Hey man, this is Cheap Ass Gamer. Can't blame you for prioritizing value. Any experienced game buyer can tell you that early adoption/launch is technically the worst time to buy gaming hardware or software. If you want some good deals you have to wait. Being patient usually means you pay less, and have a better selection of inexpensive titles. Nothing wrong with that.
Anyways yeah I don't need to get a discount on the Switch or anything. I just need to feel like I'm getting my money's worth. I don't like the remorse that comes along with buying a system to play one game and then it collects dust. Because by the time you're ready to play a second game on it, there are some nice bundles and limited edition systems you wish you had bought instead.

I want a Switch and am still torn on whether to keep it or not, mostly due to the poor value proposition with all the expensive accessories. It's not just about the dollar amount. It's the principle of the matter that really bugs me. I think it will be a lot easier to let my system go if I see a ton of units on the shelves on release day, immediately knowing a person could pick one up whenever, on a whim.

I also kind of want to see where this system is going. Take the 3DS for example. We've had FOUR iterations of that system in 4-5 years. This is probably my biggest concern: that there will be a hardware revision in ~1 year. Nintendo machines have proven to be risky investments for many years now. I don't want to feel like I have to buy a new machine in a year or two plus be upset that I bought the 1.0 version.

I've had a month to think these things over and am no closer to a proper answer.

i really want to call best buy to change my payment method so i can meet the minimum spend on my new credit card but part of me is paranoid that they'll cancel it somehow. will they still change payment method on the phone? 

i really want to call best buy to change my payment method so i can meet the minimum spend on my new credit card but part of me is paranoid that they'll cancel it somehow. will they still change payment method on the phone?
HA! Dude, same boat!! I travel a lot for work and I use my Visa Debit/Check card for small purchases on the road. I have since used my PayPal check card since the funds draw from the same account because my card is cracked! I have tape on it to hold it together. Some places it swipes, some it doesn't and not all have chips yet. I am holding off on replacing the card until I get my system from BB on pick up...that afternoon because I am not fighting crowds! Too bad we can't order a new card with the same numbers like in the old days!

I'm sure nobody cares, but I cancelled my Switch PO after a lot of thought. It was going to be a day 1 buy for me, but now I'm going to wait until some titles hit.

Cancelled the grey system, pro controller. Keeping my Zelda BOTW SE though.

Snagging BOTW for Wii U, as I think that will eventually be collectible; I just don't see Nintendo making more copies of that. I also want to play the game and make more use out of the Wii U beyond Xenoblade and Mario Kart.

To the Day 1 buyers: I hope you have a blast and fall in love with the Switch. I really like the system, a lot. I just feel the games aren't there, for me at least, right now.
You make a good point on the WiiU BOTW purchase. I may go the same route with my Amazon PO. I don't think the game will look vastly better on Switch.

They can but you never know if you'll get an incompetent employee who thinks the best course of action is cancel and try to reorder. Best thing to do if you have time to spare is to wait to receive it. Then return and rebuy.

You make a good point on the WiiU BOTW purchase. I may go the same route with my Amazon PO. I don't think the game will look vastly better on Switch.
You won't really notice graphical difference but it is supposed to run better on the Switch (stability, load times, etc.)

best thing would be keep the order... take the item back and return an rebuy it

HA! Dude, same boat!! I travel a lot for work and I use my Visa Debit/Check card for small purchases on the road. I have since used my PayPal check card since the funds draw from the same account because my card is cracked! I have tape on it to hold it together. Some places it swipes, some it doesn't and not all have chips yet. I am holding off on replacing the card until I get my system from BB on pick up...that afternoon because I am not fighting crowds! Too bad we can't order a new card with the same numbers like in the old days!
dang, man, you dont have another backup or credit card?

yeah, i remember this struggle for the MM LE. good times.

They can but you never know if you'll get an incompetent employee who thinks the best course of action is cancel and try to reorder. Best thing to do if you have time to spare is to wait to receive it. Then return and rebuy.
good point. that is the safest way to go. i feel like the employees will give me shit for doing a return and rebuy and give me some excuse that i can't do that. (source: i had a bad experience once)

I'm sure nobody cares, but I cancelled my Switch PO after a lot of thought. It was going to be a day 1 buy for me, but now I'm going to wait until some titles hit.

Cancelled the grey system, pro controller. Keeping my Zelda BOTW SE though.

Snagging BOTW for Wii U, as I think that will eventually be collectible; I just don't see Nintendo making more copies of that. I also want to play the game and make more use out of the Wii U beyond Xenoblade and Mario Kart.

To the Day 1 buyers: I hope you have a blast and fall in love with the Switch. I really like the system, a lot. I just feel the games aren't there, for me at least, right now.
I'm extremely close to doing the same thing. I've been toying with the idea of putting the money towards a Disney Vacation or a 4k TV instead. I feel like I'm trying to convince myself not to cancel it which seems like a strong sign that I don't really want it (at least right now).

I don't know why people think Breath of The Wild on Wii U is going to become rare in the future. It's not like it's a niche release. Same situation happened with Twilight Princess and people thought the same thing, but that game really isn't particularly expensive or hard to find on Gamecube.

Too many Antiques Roadshow-fueled fever dreams. They're all over--there's a person on my local craigs this very week asking for $400 for their bog standard Wii U because "it's hard to find". Yeah, maybe if you're only looking at Sears or Dollar General, but Nintendo will happily sell a refurb w/ a full warranty for literally half that price. Delusion abounds, there are Honus Wagner rookie cards and flea market Faberge eggs and secret Van Goghs and ultra rare Zelda games everywhere, ya know?

I don't know why people think Breath of The Wild on Wii U is going to become rare in the future. It's not like it's a niche release. Same situation happened with Twilight Princess and people thought the same thing, but that game really isn't particularly expensive or hard to find on Gamecube.

*looks at $50 price tag on Twilight Princess gamecube*

"Oh my gosh retro gaming is so expensive!"

(oh wait, that's how much the games cost when they were brand new 15 year ago)

I'm still loading up on all sorts of Zelda swag though. Including the guide, the special edition, the EU special edition, and Arts & Artifacts book.
Don't rag on me for turning my nose up on the BOTW: Special Edition, but jumping on the Arts & Artifacts book! As it happens, I have a background in art and graphic design. (bachelor of arts in graphic design, in fact) I'm most inclined towards getting special editions when they come with big, beefy art books. I just took a look at the contents of the special edition, and no art book. No art book, no sale for me. I'm assuming that a lot of fans are showing up to the special edition party in this case for the carrying case. That seems like a substantial extra.

Anyone buying it as an investment opportunity will end up disappointed. Any one buying it wanting to switch it out(lololololololololol) for the Switch version later might have a good chance of breaking even or making $10 when they upgrade(if BotW Switch has dropped in price by then but Wii U keeps it's value).

Off topic, but while enjoying the new Arts &I Artifacts book today I had to wonder why there aren't any more Nintendo books of this caliber for Mario, Metroid, etc. It's been a long time since I picked up my copy of Mario Mania. Time for an update.

then this

lol.

Anyways yeah I don't need to get a discount on the Switch or anything. I just need to feel like I'm getting my money's worth. I don't like the remorse that comes along with buying a system to play one game and then it collects dust. Because by the time you're ready to play a second game on it, there are some nice bundles and limited edition systems you wish you had bought instead.

I want a Switch and am still torn on whether to keep it or not, mostly due to the poor value proposition with all the expensive accessories. It's not just about the dollar amount. It's the principle of the matter that really bugs me. I think it will be a lot easier to let my system go if I see a ton of units on the shelves on release day, immediately knowing a person could pick one up whenever, on a whim.

I also kind of want to see where this system is going. Take the 3DS for example. We've had FOUR iterations of that system in 4-5 years. This is probably my biggest concern: that there will be a hardware revision in ~1 year. Nintendo machines have proven to be risky investments for many years now. I don't want to feel like I have to buy a new machine in a year or two plus be upset that I bought the 1.0 version.

I've had a month to think these things over and am no closer to a proper answer.
YOu aren't any closer to a "proper" answer because is no "proper" answer. You can't have your cake and eat it too. You can't buy at launch and know the future. IT's either or. So you have to choose.

Anyone buying at launch accepts the risks of being an early adopter.

I cancelled my Switch preorder last night as well. There was still too many questions I had about the system that Nintendo wasn't telling us: Also the launch lineup only has one game that I want and I just couldn't justify the purchase.

The only reason I reconsider buying a Switch at launch is for Zelda spoilers. If the Wii U version is close enough (not compromising on too many features), I'll definitely just buy that. And wait until holiday for the Switch. Unless Scorpio also comes out this fall and just knocks my socks off. Ugghhh, so much happening this year in the world of games.

YOu aren't any closer to a "proper" answer because is no "proper" answer. You can't have your cake and eat it too. You can't buy at launch and know the future. IT's either or. So you have to choose.

Anyone buying at launch accepts the risks of being an early adopter.
It's different with buying a modern Nintendo system as opposed to early adopting another consumer electronic. There is more risk involved in having buyer's remorse, and because you'll probably want to buy the newest system in another year.

I use my iphone5 from five years ago and I'm still fine with it, regardless that there has been a new model every year since then. You drop $400 on a 2nd tier top graphics card and you know you'll run games on ultra for 2-3 years and then the card's value will be negligible. You're fine with that because you know what you're getting into.

It's not the same.

I'd say people are expecting BotW to go the TP route since it launched on Wii launch day and GameCube. A quick glance at the current market shows $50ish for TP on GC and $10ish on Wii. The reason being the GameCube is more expensive? No motion controls. Only reason

The only difference between BotW Wii and Wii U is graphics and load times. So in the end, people expecting a large price gap in the two editions of BotW are assuming too much.

I cancelled my Switch preorder last night as well. There was still too many questions I had about the system that Nintendo wasn't telling us: Also the launch lineup only has one game that I want and I just couldn't justify the purchase.
Just cancelled my Switch preorder @Amazon!!! My Backlog is too big with 5 PS4 exclusive and the other games of march ME Andromeda, Nier ect!!! Better wait to BF with a good bundle or pricecut!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Though I will say I'm a little surprised at how many people seem to be pre-ordering the Zelda Special Edition. I know it will probably have a lower quantity run than some other special editions from some other developers/publishers. But still, what is in it that has everyone so hot and bothered? I just pre-ordered the regular edition of Breath of the Wild, and didn't have any real interest in the Special Edition. You're not the only person I've seen who is pre-ordering the Zelda Special Edition despite the fact that you don't intend to get the system at launch. What is in it that has you frothing to acquire it so badly?

I got my copy of the Zelda art book in the mail yesterday. 400+ pages of Zelda art, hardback, including the original illustrations of all of the enemies and bosses from the original game manuals. (a personal nostalgic favorite for me)
You seem to have been around here for a long time, so I don't understand how you don't know that anything zelda and limited gets crazy interest. You don't remember the majora's mask LEs from not too long ago? I think the amiibo fad also created a bunch more collectors. Any publisher can just slap a "limited" tag on a zelda book and it gets sold out.

It's different with buying a modern Nintendo system as opposed to early adopting another consumer electronic. There is more risk involved in having buyer's remorse, and because you'll probably want to buy the newest system in another year.

I use my iphone5 from five years ago and I'm still fine with it, regardless that there has been a new model every year since then. You drop $400 on a 2nd tier top graphics card and you know you'll run games on ultra for 2-3 years and then the card's value will be negligible. You're fine with that because you know what you're getting into.

It's not the same.
I think we get through 2018 before a revision drops but I'm back and forth as bad as you are about getting one on launch.

I should mention part of that is because Nintendo has already said they have a 15-18 month marketing plan in place for the Switch. Launch is March, 15 months later puts you into late summer and I think it would be hard to push this thing so hard for that length of time then immediately turn around for holiday and say "buy the NEW new nintendo switch". If anyone would do it, it would be Nintendo but it just seems unlikely to me.

One day, however, I plan to retire and play all the games in my collection. That's my retro backlog haha.
Yeah, I planned to retire to a desert island, and playing my backlog in my old age, and the longer I went, the more I knew that shit wasn't gonna happen. LOL Right before I bought my first house, and my son came along, I started selling off collections here and there. As emulation has caught up with more recent systems, the sting hurts less and less. But I could have lived to a thousand, and still not been able to finish it all.

Don't rag on me for turning my nose up on the BOTW: Special Edition, but jumping on the Arts & Artifacts book! As it happens, I have a background in art and graphic design. (bachelor of arts in graphic design, in fact) I'm most inclined towards getting special editions when they come with big, beefy art books. I just took a look at the contents of the special edition, and no art book. No art book, no sale for me. I'm assuming that a lot of fans are showing up to the special edition party in this case for the carrying case. That seems like a substantial extra.
I'm the same way, art book or bust. I've always been in to physical media, but as publications began to die before games did, I found myself getting in to it more and more. So while I've sold many of my game collections over the years, my art, guide, and gaming magazine/books has only grown. And the publications are cheaper than the games in the long run, so that's a bonus to I guess.

The only other time I'll get a LE bundle with no art book, is when I really love the game or series, then I'll make an exception, but that rarely happens.

It's not the same.
With Xbox One some who bought it at launch for $500 had to deal with the remorse of it being sold without Kinect 2.0 for $400 just a few months later. Those who bought an Xbox One before E3 2016 also had to deal with the remorse of the Xbox One S coming out then, looking much sleeker, having 4K Blu Ray support and HDR, plus running games a bit smoother.

With PS4 same thing. There have been many special editions. The Darth Vader Battlefront one, the black and red MGSV one, the silver Arkham Knight one, the blue Uncharted one, and so on. Then last year there was also the PS4 Pro. Those who didn't know about the Pro beforehand and bought a PS4 for $300 before November are probably kicking themselves after seeing the Pro and realizing that for $100 more they could have gotten a beefier system.

What I'm trying to say is being an early adopter sucks sometimes, and that not only Nintendo early adopters get screwed. It affects everyone. Making it out to be only a Nintendo thing isn't being honest.

But being an early adopter also has its pros. You can play everything before anyone else, and don't have to wait like others will. You can take part in the excitement of having a new toy to mess around with, and be able to share that excitement with others who also did the same.

Either way, like someone else said, you can't have your cake and eat it too. You take the good with the bad of being an early adopter. Or you don't.

It's not the same.
huh? That doesn't make much sense. IF anything I think the opposite. A Nintendo system is relatively cheap and you know that 4-5 years of Nintendo games are coming and that your system will play all those games. And I don't think the value of a Nintendo system drops nearly as much over 5 years as the value of an Iphone or a gpu. I bet a launch day 3ds is worth as much or more than an iPhone 5 and I think the 3ds is a year or two older and was $400 cheaper to begin with.

Maybe there is a point regarding the nature of a console launch vs the release of new hardware in an ongoing ecosystem like iOS/Windows. I don't think that's Nintendo-specific as pointed out above.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/834442804910710785
Called my local gamestop, MI is having a midnight release for reverse pre-orders only.

I won't be surprise to see people trying to get one still during the midnight launch.

Did nintendo confirm any demos on the eshop at launch yet?

Anyone have a suggestion for a case with room for a battery bank? I have the sheikah slate case preordered, but it looks like there isn't any extra room in there

Oddly... There's 4 pallets of un-sold NES Classics that have been sitting in my warehouse for a few weeks now.
Pssssst I've always loved your avatar. So much that I'm like "Hey! It's that guy" whenever you post lol. Totes adorbs.

So, how's the job? Is there anything there a kid under 18 with little experience can do? My deadbeat cousin (who also happens to be a gamer lol) needs a job and I just learned there's a warehouse in the area. Seems like a cool place to work, but I admit I don't know much about it.

With Xbox One some who bought it at launch for $500 had to deal with the remorse of it being sold without Kinect 2.0 for $400 just a few months later. Those who bought an Xbox One before E3 2016 also had to deal with the remorse of the Xbox One S coming out then, looking much sleeker, having 4K Blu Ray support and HDR, plus running games a bit smoother.

With PS4 same thing. There have been many special editions. The Darth Vader Battlefront one, the black and red MGSV one, the silver Arkham Knight one, the blue Uncharted one, and so on. Then last year there was also the PS4 Pro. Those who didn't know about the Pro beforehand and bought a PS4 for $300 before November are probably kicking themselves after seeing the Pro and realizing that for $100 more they could have gotten a beefier system.

What I'm trying to say is being an early adopter sucks sometimes, and that not only Nintendo early adopters get screwed. It affects everyone. Making it out to be only a Nintendo thing isn't being honest.

But being an early adopter also has its pros. You can play everything before anyone else, and don't have to wait like others will. You can take part in the excitement of having a new toy to mess around with, and be able to share that excitement with others who also did the same.

Either way, like someone else said, you can't have your cake and eat it too. You take the good with the bad of being an early adopter. Or you don't.
It’s all very relative.

I own a Wii U so I’m getting the best game on the Switch day one with the early adopters, albeit with a slight graphical downgrade. (720 instead of 1080p).

And many of the games coming out for the Switch are essentially “enhanced” Wii U games, such as Mario Kart 8.

For those who skipped the Wii U altogether, I would think the Switch is a much more attractive proposition than those of us who own one.

Also, I personally think that Nintendo is making a HUGE mistake marketing this thing as a home console when clearly, it’s a handheld that can be played on a TV. (Which is admittedly cool)

As a handheld, the Switch is powerful but as a console it is a joke, especially when compared to the PS4 Pro and the upcoming Scorpio.

My theory is that if the Switch is successful, it will become the de facto replacement for the 3DS because I can’t see it competing directly with the XBONE or PS4.

Had an opportunity to preorder one. I wish I wasn't unemployed at the moment, would have jumped on that and hopefully made some profit come release time. With no job at the moment can't risk it as if I ended up having to sell it online which wouldn't be my first choice but if so I don't want to risk some asshole cheating me.

You won't really notice graphical difference but it is supposed to run better on the Switch (stability, load times, etc.)
Has that actually been confirmed?

I know the Switch version runs at a higher resolution but I didn't think they had confirmed it was more stable in terms of frame rate, loading times, etc.

I could be wrong.

Also, I personally think that Nintendo is making a HUGE mistake marketing this thing as a home console when clearly, it’s a handheld that can be played on a TV. (Which is admittedly cool)

As a handheld, the Switch is powerful but as a console it is a joke, especially when compared to the PS4 Pro and the upcoming Scorpio.

My theory is that if the Switch is successful, it will become the de facto replacement for the 3DS because I can’t see it competing directly with the XBONE or PS4.
I agree that the home console spin was the worst idea they could have done, but even reversing it, and calling it a handheld that can be played at home is still a HUGE fail in my opinion.

As the pricing for the system and the games read "console", but it is a better handheld than console for sure. But asking a consumer to pay damn near $400 for the system and a game just seems like a not so good idea. Especially with what the competition is offering in regards to hardware and great 3rd party support.

I understand why they went the route they did, but it still seems like it will be very hard for them no matter how this goes over the next 6-12 months. As I don't think all the 3rd party support they had for the 3DS will automatically come on board, due to the higher cost now associated with making decent games. And why would any of the bigger name 3rd parties waste time with a system with a small installed base, where they would need to downscale titles any way? It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation for everyone involved.

Did anyone else pre-order from Target? The delivery date ranges from the 5th through the 9th for me, but I don't remember seeing any faster shipping options when checking out the day I pre-ordered. Just wondering what others were seeing as a ship/delivery date?

I just cancelled my Neon Joy con Switch preorder from Best Buy and 3 other friends did the same. Im just not feeling it. The wii u version of zelda looks good enough for me. I really feel this thing should be 200 to 250 max and have a game bundled. I paid 300 for my wii u because of the promise of a great HD zelda. I realized that zelda was the only thing appealing to me at launch of the switch.

Ill wait for the Mario Odyssey bundle around the holidays. I hope everyone who wants one gets one and it's a great system. But Im a bit disappointed that Ninty delayed zelda this long just so they could sell it on switch at the same time. It feels like they turned their back on the wii u and its supporters. We could have had zelda last year or sooner but they just had to pull this again. I really dont like Nintendos strategy here, but im just glad they didnt can the wii u version altogether.

That sucks... Do they let you guys have first dibs?
Sadly, no. I wish there was a way for us to purchase stuff at work and pick it up after our shift ends.

Pssssst I've always loved your avatar. So much that I'm like "Hey! It's that guy" whenever you post lol. Totes adorbs.

So, how's the job? Is there anything there a kid under 18 with little experience can do? My deadbeat cousin (who also happens to be a gamer lol) needs a job and I just learned there's a warehouse in the area. Seems like a cool place to work, but I admit I don't know much about it.
It's not bad. I believe you need a GED/High school diploma or higher to apply.

I really feel this thing should be 200 to 250 max and have a game bundled.
i always find this mentality strange. I do agree a game should be included, but everything else i always find weird.

An Nvidia Shield TV (3GB ram, 16GB storage, controller and remote) retails for $200. The switch adds in a screen, battery, 1GB more ram, 16GB more storage, technically 2 controllers with more tech than Nvidia's and a dock. Comparatively speaking, the switch is now a deal. Also, there is an added cost squeezing everything into that tiny formfactor.

Hey guys, I've decided to cancel my Switch preorder because it has no games. I also stood outside the nearby Circuit City and advised everyone walking in to cancel theirs too for the same reason.

Went ahead and put a pre order in for Zelda since it seems like it's selling out everywhere. The pro controller sold out of pre orders now but I can live without that for awhile. I still want a Switch because I never owned a wii u and only had a wii for not even a year I think during the first year it came out. Looking forward to Mario Kart 8 in a couple months and I'll probably pick up one other game depending on reviews while I wait for that. Hope I can get a console. I'll go to the Best Buy midnight release I guess and try my luck.

i always find this mentality strange. I do agree a game should be included, but everything else i always find weird.

An Nvidia Shield TV (3GB ram, 16GB storage, controller and remote) retails for $200. The switch adds in a screen, battery, 1GB more ram, 16GB more storage, technically 2 controllers with more tech than Nvidia's and a dock. Comparatively speaking, the switch is now a deal. Also, there is an added cost squeezing everything into that tiny formfactor.
I understand your comparison, but technically, a person would have to be interested in the Shield TV to really make it work. A $100,000 sports car is a deal when compared to a $200,000 one, but you have to be in the market for one or the other to really take advantage of the "so called" deal. If you have no interest in the lesser item to begin with, it's not really a deal, as you where never buying it to begin with.

bread's done
Back