Nintendo Switch Preorder Thread 2.0

So far so good on my Best Buy stuff. I just called their Customer Service and the guy told me everything is on track for March 3rd.

Last edited by a moderator:
So you can only set up an online Nintendo switch account for multiplayer once you get the system right? I already signed up for my Nintendo but I'm not sure what else I should be doing?

My BB order is preparing, like others have said though I'm nervous about cancelling Amazon...anyone think I'm safe?
Yes, you'll be fine with Best Buy. If they were going to cancel your order they'd have done it prior to changing your order status from pre-order to preparing.

Yes, you'll be fine with Best Buy. If they were going to cancel your order they'd have done it prior to changing your order status from pre-order to preparing.
Exactly if you're preparing its more than likely packed to go. The shipments are going out to be timed for Thursday/Friday delivery.

Just waiting for GameStop to ship my switch! Sold it to a friend at work (at cost) so far everything from best buy looks solid. I just need GameStop to confirm they are sending theirs, the wait is killing me. 2 more days of work before my time off also

At first I was sold on physical for Switch, but it turns out the games are apparently on "cards" not cartridges, so there's no improvement in load times. Back to whichever is cheapest! (I do still prefer the cards over discs, though.)

Wait

What?

What's the distinction between Card and Cartridge? Are the Gameboy, GBA, DS, and 3DS all similar tech under the banner of "Cartridge" and this is something different?

Wait

What?

What's the distinction between Card and Cartridge? Are the Gameboy, GBA, DS, and 3DS all similar tech under the banner of "Cartridge" and this is something different?
From what I understand, yes (possibly wth the exception of DS/3DS). This is only based on what I've read from a couple of places, but I'll try and find the source if I can, since I don't fully understand the technological distinction enough to explain it properly. It's still supposed to be faster than disc, but not as fast as say N64.

I can't decide which one to get so help me on this one guys:

Which launch title should I get and why, 1-2 Switch or Super Bomberman R?

It's nonsense. The transfer rates for Switch game carts are extremely fast.
Could be. It's obviously supposed to be much faster than discs (at least when comparing Wii U to Switch), but not any faster than using any other high speed flash storage. Breath of the Wild still has some super lengthy load times either way.

That's just it. Before I or anyone else can claim "nonsense," we'd need to find links.

And I for one am too lazy to search for more info right now

:rofl:

Until tomorrow then

At first I was sold on physical for Switch, but it turns out the games are apparently on "cards" not cartridges, so there's no improvement in load times. Back to whichever is cheapest! (I do still prefer the cards over discs, though.)
it's the same cart tech for 3ds and Switch. It's just flash storage.

Also there are different speeds of flash memory. Technically Nintendo could have a different speed of built-in storage compared to the speed of the carts.

But yeah basically since they went with carts there is no reason to install games to internal flash storage if that was an option and thus digital wouldn't be faster.

That's just it. Before I or anyone else can claim "nonsense," we'd need to find links.

And I for one am too lazy to search for more info right now

:rofl:

Until tomorrow then
Haha, I have no problem someone saying it's nonsense. It's honestly semantics and an arbitrary distinction. They're both fast-loading mediums, the Switch cards just lack things that older traditional "cartridges" had (as they are just flash memory). But they were giant and you had to blow into them, so ya know, there's some give and take.

When people say "SWITCH IS GOING BACK TO CARTRIDGES LIKE NES, SNES, AND N64" it's only partially true, is what I'm saying. They talk about going back to times when there were no load times, and it sets up false expectations. There are already people complaining on gameplay videos for BotW about the load times because of misunderstanding how the technology works.

1 2 Switch because ti's made my Nintendo. IT shows off the new tech in the system. It looks like a fun party game. IT's going to be pretty polished. Bomberman is not so polished from what I've read.

If I hadn't ordered the SE, I would have definitely downloaded it.
Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I got the special and master edition but I don't know if I intend on opening either one.
Wow. I'm shocked to read somebody on CAG considering digital over physical.
I only consider digital over physical on games I intend on keeping forever.

My own Nintendo collection is something I don't want to let go. Ps4 games I don't care for keeping forever, I've rarely wanted to go back to previous Sony generations to play old games. With Nintendo I always have an urge to go back. I wish I kept my Nintendo games from my childhood. I have every desirable game I wanted on the Wii u and 3ds. Also it's much more convenient to have it loaded all the time.

Games have shipped and nothing else.

I happened to be on the Amazon U.K. Site and noticed that the colored switch was available, but alas they won't ship to .
I can place order, just to USA.

That bites, the have so much switch stuff, but not available for .
Is it nobody in U.K. Want these or were the shipped more there?
Usa does naturally have more people.

I got the special and master edition but I don't know if I intend on opening either one. I only consider digital over physical on games I intend on keeping forever.

My own Nintendo collection is something I don't want to let go. Ps4 games I don't care for keeping forever, I've rarely wanted to go back to previous Sony generations to play old games. With Nintendo I always have an urge to go back. I wish I kept my Nintendo games from my childhood. I have every desirable game I wanted on the Wii u and 3ds. Also it's much more convenient to have it loaded all the time.
Lucky. If I were in your shoes, I would only open the SE.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

flGx1MJ.png

I can wait till Friday.  What I'm getting really irritated with is Target doesn't look like it's going to ship until Friday.  If I'm Jones'n I'm just going to go buy one Friday morning, and return the shipped item.   Really stupid if they aren't doing release day delivery for this. 

If you're sorta of a collector, Bomberman will be the rarer game. It's already sold out online for BB, and Amazon. A lot of countries have sold out on Bomberman and don't know when to expect copies.

The real distinction for the Switch's "cards" is that they are a physical medium with no moving parts. This makes them far better suited to a portable device. It is why Nintendo has always stuck to cartridges or cards for its portable devices. Sony's experiment with UMDs on the PSP was a mistake, and they adjusted hard with the Vita. Granted, this didn't particularly improve the Vita's chances, but I don't think the Vitas physical media format was to blame for its failings.

Physical cards have faster data transfer compared to optical media, they require less power, and they have no moving parts. (less likely to fail, more stable hardware) All of these advantages make them well suited for portable systems. The disadvantage is that you usually get less memory for your money, and the format is generally more expensive per title. Optical discs can be printed in factories to the tune of pennies on the dollar. They lend themselves very well to rapid mass-production. Cards and cartridges are more physically sophisticated, and require more complicated production. Their per-unit cost is always going to be higher than optical media. Also, modern optical discs (usually based on blu-ray) can contain an obscene amount of data. A dual-layer blu-ray can store around 50 gigabytes of data, and the blu-ray format can go higher than 2 layers. Even some of the largest games today usually don't break those numbers, making optical media an affordable standard for stationary systems.

The one worry from the Switch's media choice is that it will be less likely for there to be games that launch at lower prices. ($20 or so) The per-unit cost of cards means a lower mark-up for each physical copy of a game. Publishers are motivated to sell their games for more on the Switch, and to not be in a hurry to lower the prices on those games too quickly. I do worry that we won't see nearly as many sweet deals on Switch games, especially given the tendency for Nintendo's first-party games to hold their value over time.

So how much extra stock do stores have of the nintendo switch best buy, gamestop, target, etc. any information on this? I already have one phew, but could grab one for my brother dont really wanna line up though

So how much extra stock do stores have of the nintendo switch best buy, gamestop, target, etc. any information on this? I already have one phew, but could grab one for my brother dont really wanna line up though
The best answer you will get is from asking your local stores. Gamestop has less than 10 on average, Best Buy has anywhere from 20-60 it seems, and Target has... an amount. They're advertising it as available in-store, so likely a decent amount.

There's now a Nintendo Switch section on the Nintendo Store. Everything's "coming soon" and has no price or way to order yet.

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/subcategory.jsp?categoryId=cat831448&pageSize=6&viewAll=true
https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/po/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp;jsessionid=aeKIravQpOh8RHuAo2vxZBzpQlbrz9jARcYN_CqytSACzL13pJcg!-1388915451?categoryNav=true&navAction=jump&navCount=0&atg.multisite.remap=false&productId=prod840531&categoryId=cat831448

Has anyone confirmed any usb-c will work?
I'll just head to a local computer store in the morning and grab a cheap usb-c cord for $2 unless the official Nintendo brand is $10 or $15.

i would not trust a cheap usb c cable.....unless someone can verify it works and is to spec

where are you located? if in Southern California, if you have a high volume store for target, you should have a good chance getting one once they store opens at 8am.

i would not trust a cheap usb c cable.....unless someone can verify it works and is to spec
I actually think this may be the biggest problem with the Switch - people just buying whatever cheap USB-C cable they find without doing any research, only for them to accidentally fry their console. I'd honestly recommend buying a second Nintendo charger if you absolutely need one Day 1. Yeah, it's pretty expensive, but the peace of mind that comes with knowing you won't turn your Switch into a pile of melted plastic and silicone is probably worth it. Wait until more knowledgeable and courageous people test USB-C cables, wall chargers, and battery packs before buying them.

bread's done
Back