Nintendo Switch Preorder Thread 2.0

Last edited by a moderator:
Neon sold out at walmart.com

Since I'm stuck with grey joycons from gamestop, I'll probably see if they can switch one of my pre-orders for the neon one on the spot. If it doesn't happen, no big deal... 

I'm on a two hour flight on Friday morning after launch that I'm going to test my neon out during it. Gonna start playing Zelda the moment we take off and see how the battery life is, then try it again Monday morning when I head back during a 2 1/2 hour flight. Hoping it's still got a quarter or even half left, would love that.

Also, any chances that my BB will have Pro controllers and Bomberman in stock? I neglected to preorder those and just hoping for the best at this point.

Hate that Nintendo still hasn't commented on the Joy Con sync issues. I was hoping they would had said something by now.
I figured this would happen, as it is better to not say anything, as to not affect day one sales. If they made an official announcement, that there was an issue, but they had no clue what was causing it, or how to fix it, how would that look to potential buyers? That's not their way, they would rather sale as much as possible, and then maybe fix or address the issue later, if need be.

It may affect 1 in 10, 1 in 50, or maybe 1 in 100. It was really to early to tell. Now with the public getting units, I'm sure we'll get a better understand of how many it may happen to, but I knew they wouldn't say anything, as they've had issues in the past, like the screen scratching issue of the 3DS, that they just replace or fix, and never admit fault. Until this becomes a wide spread issue, don't look for an official comment from them, unless there's an easy fix, then you'll get a mention in a future FW update list stating how it fixes joy-con compatibility issues, but nothing specific.

The real distinction for the Switch's "cards" is that they are a physical medium with no moving parts. This makes them far better suited to a portable device. It is why Nintendo has always stuck to cartridges or cards for its portable devices. Sony's experiment with UMDs on the PSP was a mistake, and they adjusted hard with the Vita. Granted, this didn't particularly improve the Vita's chances, but I don't think the Vitas physical media format was to blame for its failings.
It's all about the long game to Sony, as the UMD's was just another proprietary format to them. No different than Compact Disc, Minidisc, Betamax, or Blu-ray. They just want the next standard format so they can get paid from all those who use it, while "N" doesn't want to pay, so they avoid the formats in question when they can. Sadly, that savings is never passed on to the consumer.

I agree, the NS has no reason for any other media larger than what is being offered, as "N" games just aren't that large, so what is being used should be fine for long term. As you stated, I see price being a HUGE issue with this format, and I also see a HUGE lack of physical media coming as well. I hope I'm wrong on both counts, but when cost and & potential sales are an issue, cost cutting is the first thing that happens, and expensive physical media is normally the first casualty.

At first I was sold on physical for Switch, but it turns out the games are apparently on "cards" not cartridges, so there's no improvement in load times. Back to whichever is cheapest! (I do still prefer the cards over discs, though.)
I'm going with physical, that way I know I should be good with a 128GB card for memory. Zelda is already what, 13GB? And that's without any DLC and possible patch or two. For now I'm buying a Sandisk card yet, going to give it a little bit so I have a better idea of what game sizes will be, and if we got a lot japanese retail games like I Am Setsuna digital only here.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5wssyq/all_of_best_buys_stock/
"]Scheffsky 43 points 2 hours ago

Yes, they have 60 extra beyond preorders"
I don't think getting a switch on launch day will be hard.

Bestbuy stock for one store:

sdy50xazupiy.jpg

Interesting.

I think I am going to go ahead and just purchase on from Best Buy. I have some games to trade in and some rewards cash.

calismasker, you still around? Any chance you could check the number of available units for walk ins at store 196?

I don't know if I accidentally didnt hit post bc I was half asleep or posted on wrong thread.
Anyway Walmart had the neon set up from around 2:20am until about 2:50am.
Now since around 6:30am they have the Zelda special edition, so if any one needs one,

Odd thing my order for neon unit is just sitting there with no comment on it, with a shipping date of tomorrow. I got email confirming order and my CC has it pending.
The Zelda order says processing, but that ship date is 3/9.

Interesting.

I think I am going to go ahead and just purchase on from Best Buy. I have some games to trade in and some rewards cash.

calismasker, you still around? Any chance you could check the number of available units for walk ins at store 196?
Grey- 38
Neon- 14

I'm always lurking :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice! Can check store 1402 if your available?also if any Zelda se are to be had there lol

Any chance you could check neon stock on store 603?

I went by and asked and they said they couldnt give out that info. I am trying to figure out whether to try Target or Best Buy. My Target is getting 8 neons.

I hope my Switch ships today at some point and I get it tomorrow or before noon on Friday. Otherwise I won't be able to check it out until Monday due to leaving for a poorly timed out of state wedding for my wife's friend that I've met twice...... :wall:

Any chance you could check neon stock on store 603?

I went by and asked and they said they couldnt give out that info. I am trying to figure out whether to try Target or Best Buy. My Target is getting 8 neons.
Neon- just 4 extra

As you stated, I see price being a HUGE issue with this format, and I also see a HUGE lack of physical media coming as well. I hope I'm wrong on both counts, but when cost and & potential sales are an issue, cost cutting is the first thing that happens, and expensive physical media is normally the first casualty.
The cost of cards has diminished, compared to what cartridges cost to produce back in the day. So it's not as much of a problem as it once was. But developers and publishers targeting the Switch need to mentally adjust their thinking on how much they expect to get back on physical copies.

It would not surprise me at all if Nintendo started getting more aggressive with encouraging digital adoption. I think that's part of why we're seeing these indie showcases. Large-scale games like Zelda are a harder sell for digital, as they take up a significant amount of memory, and would take a long time to download. Indie games are ideally suited for digital distribution, and would be a great way for them to encourage people to dapple in the eShop.

Nintendo and their development partners would be only too happy to encourage digital sales. The drawbacks of physical media don't exist for digital sales, and developers get to keep the largest cut when their games are sold digitally. Nintendo also makes off quite well with this type of sale. Physical stores are the only ones losing out when games are sold digitally.

Nintendo needs to do a good job with the Switch of pitching their digital store front, and ideally running regular sales and promotions for their on-line store. Boosting the digital presence of the Switch is good for them, and good for third-party developers. It's not too bad for consumers either.

I hope my Switch ships today at some point and I get it tomorrow or before noon on Friday. Otherwise I won't be able to check it out until Monday due to leaving for a poorly timed out of state wedding for my wife's friend that I've met twice...... :wall:
Yeah, I haven't worried much... but my Amazon order isn't even "preparing for shipment" yet. No movement on any of my Best Buy orders. I'm remaining optimistic, but I wish it would just do a thing already.

Yeah, I haven't worried much... but my Amazon order isn't even "preparing for shipment" yet. No movement on any of my Best Buy orders. I'm remaining optimistic, but I wish it would just do a thing already.
If u have Amazon prime and there's an expected delivery date, the might expedite the shipping once shipped. The did that with me for a console system last year. They shipped day bf release and I got it next day.
Wish u luck!

Nintendo and their development partners would be only too happy to encourage digital sales. The drawbacks of physical media don't exist for digital sales, and developers get to keep the largest cut when their games are sold digitally. Nintendo also makes off quite well with this type of sale. Physical stores are the only ones losing out when games are sold digitally.

Nintendo needs to do a good job with the Switch of pitching their digital store front, and ideally running regular sales and promotions for their on-line store. Boosting the digital presence of the Switch is good for them, and good for third-party developers. It's not too bad for consumers either.
Yeah, we can all see how they began moving in the digital direction last gen, as several games where out of print until the discount line up reached stores. Depending on the minimum order qty's "N" may have in place, I expect very few physical releases for most of these indie titles, as it's just to much of a risk to go that road and have inventory not sale based on the NS installed base. Plus. digital cost nothing to deliver, where physical has to be shipped, stored, etc.

I agree completely, that if they want to go that route, they need better deals and sales then they've had up to this point, and honestly, I just don't think they will do that. When you can't include an AC Adapter with your most popular handheld, and when you can't included a free game like 1 2 Switch to show off your most important new features, I seriously doubt that same company will offer any decent sales on digital games, when they just don't want to.

Maybe when they start charging for online, they will off set that with deals for members with decent discounts, as that is the only way I see them offering any decent deals on digital games, and they are going to need something really awesome to get consumers to pay them for that service as well.

Digital Foundry has posted their review of the Switch, it's definitely the best and most thorough I've seen thus far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_OjR09FBUI

edit: Here's a shorter, simpler review from GameSpot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQa2dPEZM8c

You want a usb-c charger that is powerful enough to keep up with the battery drain if you want the Switch to charge while playing. Gotta find out the volts/amps of the Switch charger although in handheld mode there is a possibility you can use a less powerful charger than the one Nintendo includes.

AS for cables, it's like with anything, the cheaper it is the more likely they cut corners in some way. I've used cheap cables in lots of stuff bought from places like Monoprice and had good luck. I've had a few bad cables over the years but don't recall if I bought them or if they came in the box. Never fried anything because of a cable.

I've had issues with low cost chargers tho. Had a cheap one for a phone that would deliver a low level shock. And you see reports of fires with low cost chargers of various devices. I wouldn't skimp here. I would go with something trusted.

Heads up. Being told to hold a minimum of 3 for Sunday with a few extra coming in. So while these numbers are correct a minimum of 3 are going to held aside for he Sunday ad

can you check store 263 please?

I have mine coming for Friday delivery but my UPS sucks and sometimes comes as late as 8pm.

If I can get one at midnight I can play all day Friday since I am off!

Heads up. Being told to hold a minimum of 3 for Sunday with a few extra coming in. So while these numbers are correct a minimum of 3 are going to held aside for he Sunday ad

Thanks for the heads up.

Any thoughts on when I should line up for the midnight launch if I don't have a pre-order? Do you know if the pre-order line and non pre-order line are mixed or separate?

Thanks for the heads up.

Any thoughts on when I should line up for the midnight launch if I don't have a pre-order? Do you know if the pre-order line and non pre-order line are mixed or separate?
That's up to the store you go to. I'd call or go and ask

can you check store 263 please?

I have mine coming for Friday delivery but my UPS sucks and sometimes comes as late as 8pm.

If I can get one at midnight I can play all day Friday since I am off!
Grey- 57
Neon- 21

My Neon Switch, Zelda Special Edition & Pro Controller all shipped this morning from BB. 

Meanwhile Amazon still has 9-11th for Special/Master & Grey Switch. 

W/e 

Here's a hardware review on the less than positive side of the ledger, for those who want to consider all sides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bHjIdLoUNw

Here are a few review scores for the hardware:

IGN: 6.7/10
Attack of the Fanboy: 8/10
Engadget: 8.4/10
Telegraph: 8/10
The Guardian: 8/10
Enthusiast.gg: 9/10
MobileSyrup: 7.5/10
CGMag: 8.5/10
WeGotThisCovered: 8/10
PC Advisor: 8/10