Telegraph: 8/10
The Guardian: 8/10
Enthusiast.gg: 9/10
MobileSyrup: 7.5/10
CGMag: 8.5/10
WeGotThisCovered: 8/10
PC Advisor: 8/10
IBtimes: 8/10
Seems like ign is the only outlet that didn't like it so far.... Hopefully everyone revises their reviews after the day 1 patch

A cable is a cable is a cable.

You guys are acting like the USB-C is something special, but it is just the format of the cable. In order to be USB-C, it has to follow the same guidelines as any other USB-C cable. So what you are looking for is details about the actual product that is attached to the USB-C.

You need to supply 15v at 3a to charge the switch properly. Under that will still allow the device to charge, slowly, but under certain conditions. The main condition being you won't be able to play while charging it at the same time as you will be using more energy than supplied by the powerbank/charger. If you go over the recommended specs, you risk frying your device. (Or blowing it up, ala Samsung.)

You guys are acting like the USB-C is something special, but it is just the format of the cable. In order to be USB-C, it has to follow the same guidelines as any other USB-C cable. So what you are looking for is details about the actual product that is attached to the USB-C.

You need to supply 15v at 3a to charge the switch properly. Under that will still allow the device to charge, slowly, but under certain conditions. The main condition being you won't be able to play while charging it at the same time as you will be using more energy than supplied by the powerbank/charger. If you go over the recommended specs, you risk frying your device. (Or blowing it up, ala Samsung.)
Right on point. Think of this like Apple branded lighting cables trying to charge an iPad or iPad Pro. The cable you receive with the phone will charge the iPad just fine, but charging with an iPhone's charger will cause it to charge slowly or even drain when using some apps. Switching the charger itself to the larger iPad charger will not have this issue. Cables are a standard with no differences (unless it's a very cheap cable).

Seems like ign is the only outlet that didn't like it so far.... Hopefully everyone revises their reviews after the day 1 patch
I take all reviews with a grain of salt, but particularly reviews from IGN and their associated scores. I've read too many reviews where the actual review is seemingly totally inconsistent with the score they assign at the end, both bad and good.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not their way, they would rather sale as much as possible, and then maybe fix or address the issue later, if need be.
I've noticed you and a few others often use the word "sale" as a verb when it is not, instead of "sell". Any particular reason?

Normally, but some cheaper brands have been cheating for compatibility, jumping points with resistors to enable higher end power, wiring for USB 2, improperly grounding, etc. Using these cables with phone chargers isn't the issue.... It's when they are used with higher power formats that the damage comes in. So, a USB c at 2.0 speeds and 5v is no issue at all. At 15v, you need to be sure your cable is to spec. If not, you can damage your charger, switch or have a nice fire.

If you're using the cable to charge an expensive device, you really might as well spend a few extra dollars to get one from a reputable company instead of random company from China.

Normally, but some cheaper brands have been cheating for compatibility, jumping points with resistors to enable higher end power, wiring for USB 2, improperly grounding, etc. Using these cables with phone chargers isn't the issue.... It's when they are used with higher power formats that the damage comes in. So, a USB c at 2.0 speeds and 5v is no issue at all. At 15v, you need to be sure your cable is to spec. If not, you can damage your charger, switch or have a nice fire.
I have found this to be accurate in a quick google search. So I decided to put my money where my mouth is and provide everyone a cheap USB-C to USB-C cable that will meet your expectations.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/IOGWYK5NXWAE/ref=pdp_new_wl

Yeah, I haven't worried much... but my Amazon order isn't even "preparing for shipment" yet. No movement on any of my Best Buy orders. I'm remaining optimistic, but I wish it would just do a thing already.
My Bomberman just shipped from Best Buy. Hoping the console is shipping today as well, I am not optimistic that I will receive anything before Friday though.

There's no super easy way other than game flipping to push Gamestop credit to Best Buy credit, correct?  It's sounding like BB is the place to hit for folks like me that didn't pre-order.

For those interested, you can now get an estimate on how many nintendo switches will be at your local walmart with brickseek

Neon:

http://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker/?sku=55449981

Grey:

http://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker/?sku=55449983

A majority of my local stores have only stocked 2 neon versions, and have way more grey versions.
Damn. You're going to be able to walk into the retailer of your choice on Friday and buy a Nintendo Switch. Best Buy, Target, Walmart, and even Gamestop are all going to have plenty.

The only thing I'm wondering is how long it's going to take these things to sell out. It could be one day, it could be never.

If you're using the cable to charge an expensive device, you really might as well spend a few extra dollars to get one from a reputable company instead of random company from China.
Agreed. I totally get that folks want to get accessories early, but if you're not going to buy Nintendo branded (or other known company) cables/chargers/etc, it might be worth at least waiting until some reviews pop up for cheaper options. Within 2 months, one of those "Anker" or "iClever" (maybe even "Amazon Basics"?) companies will have something out that's inexpensive and won't cause any issues with your new Switch :)

Could you check store 435? I ask because my walmarts aren't as stocked as everybody else is reporting (

Agreed. I totally get that folks want to get accessories early, but if you're not going to buy Nintendo branded (or other known company) cables/chargers/etc, it might be worth at least waiting until some reviews pop up for cheaper options. Within 2 months, one of those "Anker" or "iClever" (maybe even "Amazon Basics"?) companies will have something out that's inexpensive and won't cause any issues with your new Switch :)
Or watch out for sales.... I did pick up 2 positively tested usb c to regular (mind drawing a blank) USB cable for like $12 shipped a few months ago. Keep one in the car and another in my camera bag so I always have a way to charge my phone.

The problem really rears its ugly head if you want to go usb c to USB c. A bad cable will allow the maximum amount of voltage through instead of communicating what the device needs to the charger. You don't want 24+ volts running into your switch because the cable was crap and asked the power supply for max voltage.

ERROR 404: Switches not found

:)

Grey- 12
Neon- 6

Wow that's the lowest I've seen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Should be expected of MI.

Isn't many high income areas near that BB without traveling an another good 50 minutes.

I'll avoid canceling my Gamestop order to get a Neon at BB then.

My Neon Switch, BoTW, and Pro Controller all shipped! Hope it comes in early tomorrow but hey, it's something! :D
Where did it ship from?

My Switch + games I'm picking up from Best Buy are all still in the pre-order/processing phase. Should I be worried is this normal?

Or watch out for sales.... I did pick up 2 positively tested usb c to regular (mind drawing a blank) USB cable for like $12 shipped a few months ago. Keep one in the car and another in my camera bag so I always have a way to charge my phone.

The problem really rears its ugly head if you want to go usb c to USB c. A bad cable will allow the maximum amount of voltage through instead of communicating what the device needs to the charger. You don't want 24+ volts running into your switch because the cable was crap and asked the power supply for max voltage.
The main issue is that USB-C to USB-A will take FOREVER for the Switch to charge after tests have been done. Charging with C to A will take 8-9 hours while C to C is an easy 5-6.

My Switch + games I'm picking up from Best Buy are all still in the pre-order/processing phase. Should I be worried is this normal?
Probably not, they are likely swamped shipping this stuff out right now. You should be worried if you don't see any activity by tomorrow. My Bomberman is the only thing that has shipped. No shipping update on my Pro Controller, Console, or Zelda.

Target still hasn't shipped. I ordered Jan 13th. I am gonna be mad if if doesn't show up Friday.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it probably won't ship until launch day. I preordered my NES Classic from them in August, and sure enough I didn't get an email from Target until 2am the day of (11/10), finally saying it was shipped. Going from Illinois to Maryland, it finally arrived on 11/16. I preordered my Switch from them as well so I'm in the same boat. The $15 saved by using the Red Card is great, but it sure would be nice if they shipped early like everyone else.

The main issue is that USB-C to USB-A will take FOREVER for the Switch to charge after tests have been done. Charging with C to A will take 8-9 hours while C to C is an easy 5-6.
for sure, and that is were people need to be very careful. They are going to start buying USB c power banks and cables and if either is crap, bye bye switch. USB c is still in the you get what you pay for stage in its life. My cell is USB c, and the past 15 months has been a pain looking for cables/devices that won't fry it. Which include a USB c to a female USB a adapter, which I used to copy from external storage or USB adapter, the hd-500 dock from ms (power, USB, HDMI and display port) and so far no issues, but have read a few nightmare stories where the charger or phone did short out.

Probably not, they are likely swamped shipping this stuff out right now. You should be worried if you don't see any activity by tomorrow. My Bomberman is the only thing that has shipped. No shipping update on my Pro Controller, Console, or Zelda.
Plus, I think it's totally dependent on how close you are to one of their shipping centers. There was someone who said they were in Alaska and had their order ship a day or two ago. Makes sense, since it'll take a while to get the package there to meet release day delivery. I live in OH and know there are a ton of close fulfillment centers that could send it out by tomorrow and it'll still make it here by Friday.

Could you check store 435? I ask because my walmarts aren't as stocked as everybody else is reporting (<10 grey at all walmarts in the area and less neon) so I'm worried I wont be able to snag one and I'll just have to stare at my LE :-({|=
Grey- 65
Neon- 20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bread's done
Back